Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

I have an i5 3570 w/ 16 gigs of RAM and a 760. So not bleeding edge, but definitely powerful. I run it with no problems.

Ah, everyone just has a PC designed for/built for gaming. I have an i3-2370 w/ 6 GB ram and an integrated graphics card. It's perfectly serviceable for work and a fair number of games but there's no way I can run something like Xenoblade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Andrast posted:

Assuming that everyone who played it on dolphin pirated the game always leads to good conversation.

Yes I agree, let's have this conversation

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Andrast posted:

Assuming that everyone who played it on dolphin pirated the game always leads to good conversation.

Does it even matter? Xenoblade is out of print, it's hardly piracy at this point. Any copies you see being sold are used, so it's not going to Nintendo anyways. Discontinued version of a game for a discontinued console.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

It's actually really easy to make your own backups of Wii games if you have one so you can emulate your entire library or play it all off a hard drive. Sometimes this is kind of necessary, like it was for me because my Wii's disk drive no longer functions and I didn't want to buy another Wii.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

majormonotone posted:

Ah, everyone just has a PC designed for/built for gaming. I have an i3-2370 w/ 6 GB ram and an integrated graphics card. It's perfectly serviceable for work and a fair number of games but there's no way I can run something like Xenoblade

Wait so you've been making sweeping commentary about the failures of the Dolphin version when you're basically running it on a glorified word processor?

Goons, never change. :allears:

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Fuzz posted:

Wait so you've been making sweeping commentary about the failures of the Dolphin version when you're basically running it on a glorified word processor?

I'm sorry that I, like most people, don't have the time to build a nice fancy gaming machine or the money to buy one that's already made??? I just feel that for a lot of people running it in Dolphin isn't necessarily a (feasible) option.

A friend of mine also mentioned the game chugging at Agniritha on his nicer gaming machine, but I haven't experienced that firsthand

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

majormonotone posted:

I'm sorry that I, like most people, don't have the time to build a nice fancy gaming machine or the money to buy one that's already made???

lmao

slotting these legos together..... gah, who has the time

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

majormonotone posted:

I'm sorry that I, like most people, don't have the time to build a nice fancy gaming machine or the money to buy one that's already made??? I just feel that for a lot of people running it in Dolphin isn't necessarily a (feasible) option.

A friend of mine also mentioned the game chugging at Agniritha on his nicer gaming machine, but I haven't experienced that firsthand

A new 3ds isn't a feasible option for many people either but people still talk about it. Comparing versions can be really useful for people who actually can choose between them.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Fuzz posted:

Do you get the audio desynch?

If someone has a fix for the audio desynch in Dolphin I'd sure as gently caress like to hear about it, I've tried everydamnthing :cry:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

If someone has a fix for the audio desynch in Dolphin I'd sure as gently caress like to hear about it, I've tried everydamnthing :cry:

I haven't had audio desync in Dolphin in a while. I use the latest dev build and I think they said something about fixing audio desync a while ago?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
It's honestly pretty dumb to complain that a game doesn't run well on a computer not built for gaming. It's like complaining that your station wagon doesn't do well in street races. It's probably a fine computer for whatever you use it for, but of course it can't do poo poo it's not designed to do well.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Does it even matter? Xenoblade is out of print

No it's not?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Saagonsa posted:

No it's not?

The Wii version technically is in that any copies bought won't give the money to Nintendo, but the reseller/GameStop.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

The Wii version technically is in that any copies bought won't give the money to Nintendo, but the reseller/GameStop.

Yeah but the 3ds version is pretty much the same game and I'm sure that anyone choosing the Dolphin version as an alternative isn't gonna buy the 3ds one.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

ChaosArgate posted:

I haven't had audio desync in Dolphin in a while. I use the latest dev build and I think they said something about fixing audio desync a while ago?

Funny, never thought to try dev builds. Now it's perfectly in sync right out of the gates. I am the worst computer :downs:

(thanks!)

Saagonsa posted:

Yeah but the 3ds version is pretty much the same game and I'm sure that anyone choosing the Dolphin version as an alternative isn't gonna buy the 3ds one.

I just did :v:

I now own it on the Wii and 3DS and play it in an emulator instead. fiscal responsibility is for other people

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Fuzz posted:

i5-2500k, 8gb, 770 gtx, ssd and it still has audio/frame issues. For a vast majority of people they probably won't notice or care about the issues present with the game. Also the HD texture pack is rear end unless you really think a mishmash of random upgraded textures looks good. The consistency is all over the map on that pack and detracts from the game.

i even have a save setup from my wii that i can load to test the builds as it will show issues instantly but not really necessary because the intro is demanding enough to cause it to gently caress up once it shifts from the bionis/mechonis fight to Dunban.

https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?title=Xenoblade_Chronicles

Every single report on the game mentions stuttering so either it's minor enough to not annoy you or you're really blind claiming it never happens. Latest report was 3 days ago.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
It's maybe worth pointing out that the frame-rate on the 3DS version does drop quite a bit when it gets a bit busy on the screen, particularly during link attacks, but that just makes them easier to trigger!

Anyway, it looks fine and you should get it if you want portable Xenoblade.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I imported the UK version of Xenoblade from GAME before it came to the US and bought two NA copies and will pick up a 3DS version soon tok because it's that good and gently caress you if you're too uppity to let muddy textures affect your enjoyment of A Really Good Game.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I bought the 3DS version to support a great game and just lent it out to my friend while I play the Wii version.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Saagonsa posted:

I'd happily buy the 3DS one if it didn't also require me to shell out 250 more dollars for it.

As is it's 290$ for one game.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

quote:

Anyone who's complaining about the graphics looking muddy doesn't understand that the original game looks muddy as hell too

What if I complain that the 3DS graphics look muddy with the full understanding that the Wii game looks muddy too?

Anyway, it looks completely fine for a 3DS game. My main issue is with the text and 2d graphic scaling looking bad, which really shouldn't have made it to the shipping project. I don't think it'd be asking too much for them to redraw a few simple menu icons and switch to a font that works natively on the 3DS.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 12, 2015

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

flyboi posted:

Every single report on the game mentions stuttering so either it's minor enough to not annoy you or you're really blind claiming it never happens. Latest report was 3 days ago.

I can't tell if you're skimming or being disingenuous because the reports are one old version, one only on-menu-transition, one only on-boot (which are kinda nitpicky who-gives-a-poo poo places for a stutter you're portraying as a deal-breaker).

Also take it to the Dolphin Thread.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

An entire thread dedicated to stealing :eyepop: what has the forum become . . .

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Beat Ghost Trick, laughed so much I cried at (end game stuff) Ray being Missile with a beard. Just a shaggy, bearded Pomeranian is hilarious to me. Was all worth it for just that, and the rest was good too.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Yeah, moderation has pretty much been thrown out the window in the last 6 months or so. You can even use racial and ethnic slurs and it's okay. :shrug:

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 12, 2015

Fushin
Dec 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Haven't been able to find an RPG to really engage me in years, gave Xenoblade 3DS a chance based on hype alone. Four hours in and I'm loving it! I love that if things get tough I can go quest for a bit, raise my levels and go back to where I was stuck. It being handheld makes it easy to stop and go as I need to. Graphics are a bit meh but I think that's a fair trade off for everything else the game provides.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Fuzz posted:

Yeah, moderation has pretty much been thrown out the window in the last 6 months or so. You can even use racial and ethnic slurs and it's okay. :shrug:

There are tons of emulation and homebrew threads. If assuming good faith unless proven otherwise isn't official policy, it's been unofficial policy for almost ever.

Fellatio del Toro posted:

I wish Games was subject to D&D rules.

Shampy
Apr 27, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I am enjoying this game greatly and I think it looks awesome. I can't wait to play more tonight.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Game just crashed on me and I hadn't saved in a long time. Thanks Xenoblade!

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

flyboi posted:

I remember when games didn't let you save at all.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
I have a question I feel silly asking after having beaten Xenoblade previously: are the talent trees you've unlocked skills for always on, or is it only the one you have selected?

Definitely feeling the groove of the game again, it is an impeccable port for the most part.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

flyboi posted:

Happened to me as well. Ever loving heard of auto-save, Nintendo?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

I think they all unlock permanently, but i could be misremembering too.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Uh, bad use of touchscreen, horrible text font, and terrible UI are a sign of a bad but maybe still acceptable port. Crashes, though, that's just the shittiest. Did they even QA the game?

In another news, there's a trailer for the Project X Zone sequel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6KGwZ0sKiA

New comers unveiled for now:

Leon Kennedy (RE6)
Kazuma Kiryu & Goro Majima (Yakuza)
Vergil (Devil May Cry)
Shinobi
Kazuya Mishima (Tekken)
Strider Hiryu (Strider)
Kage-Maru (Virtua Fighter)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

Uh, bad use of touchscreen, horrible text font, and terrible UI are a sign of a bad but maybe still acceptable port. Crashes, though, that's just the shittiest. Did they even QA the game?

Leon Kennedy (RE6)
Vergil (Devil May Cry)
Shinobi
Kazuya Mishima (Tekken)
Strider Hiryu (Strider)

No Vesperia crew no sale

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Saoshyant posted:

Leon Kennedy (RE6)
Vergil (Devil May Cry)
Shinobi
Kazuya Mishima (Tekken)
Strider Hiryu (Strider)

It's a pity this is a lovely JRPG and not something with actual gameplay. :smith:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Fuzz posted:

It's a pity this is a lovely JRPG and not something with actual gameplay. :smith:

Didn't you play The Last of Us

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

TheKingofSprings posted:

I tried on the PS3.

Here is how my play sessions would go:

Hmm...I think I'll play TLoU. Derp derp. Turn on TV. Turn on PS3. Shove disk in.
Wait a moment. Hit the play button.
Wait...
Wait...
Wait...
5 minutes later...
I don't feel like playing any more.

I did this three or four times before returning it to my friend. Worst load times I've ever experienced. Totally ruined the experience.

I will probably play on the PS4 at some point.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

project x zone's gameplay is not a hill to die on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

project x zone's gameplay is not a hill to die on

oh don't get me wrong the first one was poo poo and not even the Vesperia crew could get me to buy it