Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Dolash posted:

There was a little misogynistic rhetoric against Palin, here and there, sure. I think the difference here is the whole Republican base and ideology as well as the candidates themselves are actually predisposed toward misogyny - at times it's a plank of the party platform - and that level of casual offense is going to be much harder for them to keep a lid on.

"Bitch" is going to be smeared all over the campaign, at least one Republican candidate is going to talk about menopause or PMS (and probably reveal baffling ignorance), and a lot of mid-level Republican mouthpieces are going to dig themselves into holes they can't climb out of when someone prods them on a misogynistic insinuation.

They should not worry because this is a democratic process, if she is not a legitimate president it will shut that whole thing down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Pretty much any time Palin comes up in conversation amongst liberal and leftists in my social circles I sure do hear a lot of bitch and oval office thrown around, but keep wearing those blinders. The republicans are generally worse about it but denying it is pretty "No my side doesn't do the bad thing" crazy self-deception.

Never happens in my social circle. I don't think it's self-deception. I think it's the people you choose to associate with. I tend not to associate with dicks.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Pretty much any time Palin comes up in conversation amongst liberal and leftists in my social circles I sure do hear a lot of bitch and oval office thrown around, but keep wearing those blinders. The republicans are generally worse about it but denying it is pretty "No my side doesn't do the bad thing" crazy self-deception.

Maybe get into better social circles then. Bitch, rear end in a top hat, name-calling will always be lowest common denominator criticism of politicians.

When it starts getting used against the right on the left's equivalent for Rush Limbaugh, then give us a call.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cnut the Great posted:

I tend not to associate with dicks.

I am usually pretty against regdate shaming but you are clearly new to SA. :cmon:

Young Hegelian
Aug 27, 2012
Casually misogynist language is something that society could stand to phase out. A lot of liberals fall back into painting people like Sarah Palin as stereotypes. That's not good.

It's not the same thing as claiming that your religion requires restricting access to birth control. Which is something that 1/2 of the relevant political parties in America have in their platform.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Back in '07, I was always uncomfortable with the way people used Hillary's first name, and everyone else's last name. But now that her entire brand identity is designed around Hillary, I guess I can admit to being a little overly sensitive.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Kobayashi posted:

Back in '07, I was always uncomfortable with the way people used Hillary's first name, and everyone else's last name. But now that her entire brand identity is designed around Hillary, I guess I can admit to being a little overly sensitive.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

He does have a point that Palin did garner a lot of low-grade mockery for being a bimbo and so on, and people definitely called her a dumb bitch and stuff like that. A certain amount of misogyny is endemic to society as a whole and is an ongoing problem that transcends political affiliation, but in the two sides of American political culture it's the Republicans who have been the official opposition to women's rights and the home of America's unrepentant misogynists.

The Republicans were loving up with the "legitimate rape" talk and getting the "War on Women" narrative rolling before they were running against a woman. It's bound to get even worse.

Also I just assume the Hillary thing is because it's just easier to differentiate her from Bill Clinton that way. I figured she'd even prefer it that way since it helps create a separate political brand and identity rather than being perceived as riding Bill's coattails.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Also:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Kobayashi posted:

Jeb and Rand also want to use their first names to distance themselves from relatives. The funniest plausible scenario for names would be Clinton-Castro versus Walker-Bush.

(The funniest overall, of course, is still Franken-Stein 2016).

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Chamale posted:

Jeb and Rand also want to use their first names to distance themselves from relatives. The funniest plausible scenario for names would be Clinton-Castro versus Walker-Bush.

(The funniest overall, of course, is still Franken-Stein 2016).

I'm not the biggest Hillary cheerleader ever (though I can't say I dislike her) but I am legitimately terrified of Rand becoming president because of the vaxxer hullabaloo. There's no chance of this happening right guys?

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dolash posted:

He does have a point that Palin did garner a lot of low-grade mockery for being a bimbo and so on, and people definitely called her a dumb bitch and stuff like that. A certain amount of misogyny is endemic to society as a whole and is an ongoing problem that transcends political affiliation, but in the two sides of American political culture it's the Republicans who have been the official opposition to women's rights and the home of America's unrepentant misogynists.

The Republicans were loving up with the "legitimate rape" talk and getting the "War on Women" narrative rolling before they were running against a woman. It's bound to get even worse.

The lovely insulting photoshops of Hillary are starting to make the rounds on the usual teabagger hangouts, just like the obama-as-a-witch-doctor-pimp.jpg stuff did. And I think it's just wonderful, because the :freep: types literally cannot stop themselves from engaging in this kind of behavior. And while there is no significant black Republican constituency, there are plenty of Republican women who are going to be repulsed by the raw misogyny the GOP base is going to vomit forth in an unending turgid flow in the coming months.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

edit: beaten, nm

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I'd be comfortable calling her Hillary Rodham

Chamale posted:

Jeb and Rand also want to use their first names to distance themselves from relatives.

well that's just Randstanding

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

PupsOfWar posted:

I'd be comfortable calling her Hillary Rodham

well that's just Randstanding

I'm fine with calling Randpaul Rando.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Captain Mog posted:

I'm not the biggest Hillary cheerleader ever (though I can't say I dislike her) but I am legitimately terrified of Rand becoming president because of the vaxxer hullabaloo. There's no chance of this happening right guys?

Cruz and Paul both lack significant support in the republican leadership, so their nomination is possible but unlikely. Bush or Walker is far more likely then two of them.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

Teddybear posted:

Someone buy DaysSinceARepublicanCalledAWomanABitch.com and start the clock.

You could probably just make it a hard-coded zero.

Also works for "DaysSinceACopMurderedAnUnarmedBlackMan.com." :smith:

A second Hillary campaign has hit America!

Chamale posted:

Jeb and Rand also want to use their first names to distance themselves from relatives.

His first name is John, not Jeb. JEB is an acronym for "John Ellis Bush," exactly like GOB Bluth.

He probably uses the phrase "ATM machine" and "PIN number," too, the savage. :argh:

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
So I guess this is it for the democrats huh? I really don't want Biden. Who else is there, OMalley?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Donald Trump RT'd this tonight.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Vladimir Putin posted:

So I guess this is it for the democrats huh? I really don't want Biden. Who else is there, OMalley?

And Jim Webb, Bernie Sanders, and Lincoln Chafee.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Joementum posted:

:awesome:

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Joementum posted:

RT? Russia Today? Is Trump confirming his role as a Russian disinformation agent?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Joementum posted:

:getin:

Make It Rain
Dec 5, 2007

A blighted worldview.
Tune in tomorrow at six, it's coming!

https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/587384453036556289

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Oh my god everything this man does is funny

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

The Insect Court posted:

The lovely insulting photoshops of Hillary are starting to make the rounds on the usual teabagger hangouts, just like the obama-as-a-witch-doctor-pimp.jpg stuff did. And I think it's just wonderful, because the :freep: types literally cannot stop themselves from engaging in this kind of behavior. And while there is no significant black Republican constituency, there are plenty of Republican women who are going to be repulsed by the raw misogyny the GOP base is going to vomit forth in an unending turgid flow in the coming months.

I could see someone like Megyn Kelly taking the Republican establishment to task for something like this. However, do not underestimate the ability for conservative women to look the other way. Expect to hear something like this: "Well, I mean, she is kind of a bitch" from ALL different types of people, including women, not just republican pseudo-apologists.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

Joementum posted:

Berkeley Breathed, come out of retirement again, and this time, bring Donald Trump's Brain in Bill the Cat's Body with you.

Deep Hurting fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 13, 2015

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

"Ok, guys, I think everything's ready for the video. This place here, on some random street with cars passing by in the background, with Rubio in that random button-up-shirt-plus-blazer-without-tie combo, zoomed out just slightly so I can't get a good look at his face. What's that? The sound quality? No, I think the wind crackling will make it sound *legit*!"

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cantorsdust posted:

"Ok, guys, I think everything's ready for the video. This place here, on some random street with cars passing by in the background, with Rubio in that random button-up-shirt-plus-blazer-without-tie combo, zoomed out just slightly so I can't get a good look at his face. What's that? The sound quality? No, I think the wind crackling will make it sound *legit*!"

This is exactly what people who aren't hip enough to understand his message probably think. Gosh, he's totes just being real about this like it's nbd why can't you understand that? -rubio supporters

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The big mystery of the Rubio announcement is if he's going to stay in his Senate race. He said this (jokingly) during his NRA speech two days ago, "In just three days in Miami I will announce whether I will run for president, for re-election in the Senate or commissioner of the National Football League."

eternalname
Nov 25, 2014

I have a strange feeling...that people are having sex...and it's not with me
I've been getting my car repaired alot lately, and whenever I'm in the waiting room during the day, the Wendy Williams show comes on. Trump has appeared on the show as a guest and Wendy is always pimping him for president, and the audience seems to like him too, waving around trump 2016 signs, etc.

As far as I can tell Wendy Williams is basically a less famous Oprah, and her audience consists almost entirely of middle class minority women. Am I missing something?

Bad Mr Frosty
Apr 25, 2012
I'm really interested in that historically at least a minor recession happens every 10 years (approximately). So the next president probably won't be reelected due to being blamed on the economy.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Joementum posted:

The big mystery of the Rubio announcement is if he's going to stay in his Senate race. He said this (jokingly) during his NRA speech two days ago, "In just three days in Miami I will announce whether I will run for president, for re-election in the Senate or commissioner of the National Football League."

Well he can't be any worse than Goodell so I wholeheartedly support the third option. Much better chance of achieving it than the first option as well!

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bad Mr Frosty posted:

I'm really interested in that historically at least a minor recession happens every 10 years (approximately). So the next president probably won't be reelected due to being blamed on the economy.

If the next president is smart, then something Obama did will be blamed and it will be repeated enough that it becomes true whether it is or not.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Joementum posted:

The good thing for Rubio is that he can basically run both races. Rubio is free to change his mind and focus on a run for Senate any time before May 6, 2016, when Florida's candidate qualifying period ends. Since the Republican nomination should be wrapped up well before then (and Rubio out even earlier), Rubio can have absolutely no problem running for Senate instead, and claim that he stuck with his promise.

Nietzschean posted:

If the next president is smart, then something Obama did will be blamed and it will be repeated enough that it becomes true whether it is or not.

This only works if you're a Republican, and it's why I give a better than 50/50 chance on inaugurating a Republican president on January 20, 2021. The only question is whether it's the Republican's first term or second term.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 13, 2015

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Nietzschean posted:

That strategy won't work very well for a Democrat.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Nietzschean posted:

Or they could just offer a better alternative than the other guy about responding to the crisis.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chamale posted:

That strategy won't work very well for a Democrat.

I said if the next president was smart, not if the next president was a democrat. It blows my mind that they cannot get their poo poo together and stand by a message or voting priority like the GOP does.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nietzschean posted:

I said if the next president was smart, not if the next president was a democrat. It blows my mind that they cannot get their poo poo together and stand by a message or voting priority like the GOP does.

Yes, the GOP is well known for all standing together these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

eternalname posted:

I've been getting my car repaired alot lately, and whenever I'm in the waiting room during the day, the Wendy Williams show comes on. Trump has appeared on the show as a guest and Wendy is always pimping him for president, and the audience seems to like him too, waving around trump 2016 signs, etc.

As far as I can tell Wendy Williams is basically a less famous Oprah, and her audience consists almost entirely of middle class minority women. Am I missing something?

She was a popular shock jock on local ny radio when I was growing up. So more like hip hop Howard Stern. I don't watch her show or anything and her politics could have crystallized or changed over the 15 years or so since I've listened to her but my instinct would be that she's just doing her shock jock thing endorsing Trump.

• Locked thread