Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Weatherman posted:

How much do you want to bet that he's already tried offering his friend $1-2 grand in buttcoins to settle the debt, under the justification "they'll be worth millions one day, so I'm actually doing YOU a favour!"

Nothing would surprise me when it comes to buttcoins.

On the other bad with money front some people are surprised at the interest rates we get in New Zealand. Well don't forget that we're bad with bubbles.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jessecolombo/2014/04/17/12-reasons-why-new-zealands-economic-bubble-will-end-in-disaster/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
What exactly makes Buttcoins rise and fall in price? I know people 'mine' them, but since that increases the number of coins in circulation I'd imagine that'd decrease the overall value.

If I go out and buy 100k in Buttcoins, would the overall value of the currency increase? I ask, because while it's easy to buy coins I've heard it's terrible trying to sell them - so I didn't know if supply and demand worked the same as other markets.

Either way there's totally going to be at least one more speculative run-up. At some point enough prospective investors who haven't already been burnt will start throwing money back into that pit. Some dumbass who lost his live savings in Bitcoins is going to wake up one morning and find out he's made .05% on his 10 year investment.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Krispy Kareem posted:

What exactly makes Buttcoins rise and fall in price? I know people 'mine' them, but since that increases the number of coins in circulation I'd imagine that'd decrease the overall value.

If I go out and buy 100k in Buttcoins, would the overall value of the currency increase? I ask, because while it's easy to buy coins I've heard it's terrible trying to sell them - so I didn't know if supply and demand worked the same as other markets.

Either way there's totally going to be at least one more speculative run-up. At some point enough prospective investors who haven't already been burnt will start throwing money back into that pit. Some dumbass who lost his live savings in Bitcoins is going to wake up one morning and find out he's made .05% on his 10 year investment.

Primarily the increase in price up to the $800+ region was by a market manipulation bot on the largest exchange (mtgox). Of course it all fell apart when the exchange ran out of currency and bitcoins. The market price has been slowly trading down from $800 to about $245 at the moment.

If you bought 100k buttcoins the market would explode. The sell orders are extremely thin at the moment and significant purchases lead to volatile changes in price. You can sell dozens of them without issue. Large volumes are another thing.

Most will have lost money on bitcoins. People buy a lot at the peak of the price bubbles and the price is only going down. The only ones who are in the money mined thousands in the early days, or bought in the $5-$25 range when things were just kicking off (the mtgox bot started up around that time). The late comers are fools.

Don't forget one guy sold the $400k house he inherited for bitcoins at about $650. If he's still holding bitcoins he's lost 2/3 of the value of the house and he's having to pay rent somewhere.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Devian666 posted:

Nothing would surprise me when it comes to buttcoins.

On the other bad with money front some people are surprised at the interest rates we get in New Zealand. Well don't forget that we're bad with bubbles.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jessecolombo/2014/04/17/12-reasons-why-new-zealands-economic-bubble-will-end-in-disaster/

Just how much did Lord of the Rings do for New Zealands economy?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Just how much did Lord of the Rings do for New Zealands economy?

It's an acceptable boost to the economy, primarily providing jobs and consumer spending which the Government collects in GST (sales tax). I moved to Wellington just as filming was getting underway. There were a lot of crew parties to go to and fun to be had. On the construction industry side we designed a few studios to be built, but that is only minor relative to the total construction industry.

From the perspective of the whole economy not as much as agriculture which provides a lot more money. For the work I do it's not very significant. However for all the actors and production related jobs it makes the difference between being unemployed and having a job. For Wellington LotR provided studios, film infrastructure and a number of steady jobs for on-going film work and related projects.

I think the real gains have been from the tourism related to the movies. E: I looked up the numbers it's worth about $30m to $40m in tourism each year since LotR. Which is about 1/100 of a percent of the GDP.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 13, 2015

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

moana posted:

Seattle is a bunch of new money tech people, they get paid mad bank and want to impress all their friends and have no idea what to do with money but spend it all.

Yes it's me I am the new money tech person in Seattle.

EDIT: My accountant just informed me I need to start making $30k quarterly tax payments. :suicide:

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Krispy Kareem posted:

But this fucker doesn't even have loved ones. Who the gently caress is the paying $550 a month to financially protect?
These things are sold as investment accounts, not life insurance (by assholes like Northwestern Mutual salesman).

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Comrade Flynn posted:

EDIT: My accountant just informed me I need to start making $30k quarterly tax payments. :suicide:

I'm flying in for a conference this week. Please pick me up from the airport in one of your fancy cars, tia.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Comrade Flynn posted:

Can't you find another thread to brag in?

http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/32djiq/poor_financial_decisions_trying_to_get_back_on/

quote:

I am 20 and married. Own my own home, bought and leased a vehicle, then also bought some items that we didn't need but the items got financed and well we cant exactly return them.
Just a break down really quick I make $3535 a month before deductions, I roughly bring in $1500 a paycheck (+/- $50). My wife is looking for work but our roommate provides $300 a month rent to the mortgage. My fixed monthly bills include
1156 Mortgage
260 My car
300 Her Car (10,000 total)
110 Dog (1500 total)
120 Pots and pans (3500 total)
110 Vacuum (2500 total)
on top of that I have food, gas, utilities, and misc expenses which eats into my pay. I was doing really good, paycheck to paycheck unfortunately, but still not doing bad until March. My mortgage company sold my loan to another company and neglected to inform me that I still owed my mortgage for march to them. I was waiting for my April 1st paycheck to pay for my April mortgage.
Now I am getting behind on my bills. I have applied for credit cards with no luck. I am waiting for information on a personal loan to hopefully cover the minor payments and give me some extra income to actually put into my savings.
I guess all that all I am really asking for is some advice on what I can do to get back on top of my bills.
Thanks.

Yikes.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

pig slut lisa posted:

I'm flying in for a conference this week. Please pick me up from the airport in one of your fancy cars, tia.

It's supposed to rain this week and I can't drive the Lamborghini in the rain because it was designed by drunk Italians.

Barry posted:

Can't you find another thread to brag in?

Nah this one is pretty neat.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Why is he budgeting so much for pots and pans and a vacuum? Are these use once and throw away items?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Cloks posted:

Why is he budgeting so much for pots and pans and a vacuum? Are these use once and throw away items?

I think he bought them on credit and those are his monthly payments.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The reddit commentors are theorizing that he bought them on credit. Which then makes you wonder how many loving many pots, pans, and vacuums he bought and how fancy they are.

E: Jesus, now that read closer, he has $3500 in pots/pans and $2500 for the vacuum. :psyduck:

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Apr 13, 2015

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
how the hell does a 20 year old spend $3500 on pots and pans? Almost 10% of his yearly income?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I don't know but it looks like they financed a dog as well. Which is confusing and definitely bad with money. Especially when it eats something and needs surgery.

Dog equity. Better than horse equity.

flynt
Dec 30, 2006
Triggerhappy and gunshy
He financed his dog??? Dog financing is a thing?

I've considered getting a fancy vacuum cleaner if I moved to a bigger space but I was thinking Dyson 500$ fancy not 2500$ vacuum fancy. Are Kirbys that expensive?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

flynt posted:

I've considered getting a fancy vacuum cleaner if I moved to a bigger space but I was thinking Dyson 500$ fancy not 2500$ vacuum fancy. Are Kirbys that expensive?

Oh it's a thing. He must be poor because he didn't finance a $3000 dog.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If you buy a dog from a boutique store they would probably accept credit

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
He couldn't afford it and he can't get any credit cards. I guess his dog will have to starve now.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

flynt posted:

It gets worse. You can LEASE a pet these days. http://www.wweek.com/portland/article-19896-rent_a_pup.html

Related thread content:

One of my wife's friends from childhood married a real dummy who was terrible with money and terrible with life. During most of their marriage (which did not last very long, but longer than it should have), he had his wife and child (of course they had one) living in a rented trailer while he blew his paychecks on awesome toys like ATVs, lifted trucks, firearms, etc. One day he couldn't see the family dog while backing up his massive 4x4 because he was so far off the ground and ran over the poor pooch, killing it. I guess he felt bad after that and went out and bough TWO new dogs on credit at around $1600/each.

flynt
Dec 30, 2006
Triggerhappy and gunshy

paperchaseguy posted:

how the hell does a 20 year old spend $3500 on pots and pans? Almost 10% of his yearly income?

I went looking for expensive pots and pans because I didn't think it was possible to spend 3500$ and Williams Sonoma did not let me down. http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/all-clad-copper-core-ultimate-30-piece-cookware-set/?pkey=ccookware-sets%7C%7C&cm_src=cookware-sets||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-

Suggested price: 5439$
Our price: 4000$

You're saving 1439$ and there's a GWP, you can't afford not to buy it.

flynt
Dec 30, 2006
Triggerhappy and gunshy

This article is pretty crazy but the strangest part is where you can basically transfer them ownership of your animal and lease it back from them. Like pet health insurance but more expensive and you don't own your pet anymore.

Article posted:

Earlier this year, Laura McNamara, who lives in Southeast Portland, says she decided to enroll her two rescued dogs, Alvin and Peanut, in the program. That way, their veterinary care would be covered.

Both are small dogs, but both have big medical problems: Peanut, a 7-year-old schnauzer-poodle mix, survived a bout of distemper, and Alvin, a 4-year-old bichon frisé-Maltese mix, suffers from a degenerative spinal-disc disease.

Not owning her pets was unsettling, but McNamara says the flat monthly fee appealed to her. She went in to the Clackamas Town Center location and described her pooches’ issues. The bubbly salesgirl told her Alvin and Peanut’s pre-existing conditions would add about $5 to $10 a month to the basic $69-per-dog-per-month fee. Her contract reflected that estimated price.

“It really is just sell, sell, sell,” McNamara says. (Davis told WW that Hannah salespeople have backgrounds in used cars and gym memberships.) “The salespeople, they were like, ‘Yeah, we’ll give you anything you want. Yeah, it’s covered.’”

McNamara signed a certificate of ownership that stipulates, “I hereby transfer/sell full ownership of this pet unconditionally to The Hannah Society.” She also handed over $95 per dog to sign up.

When she brought in Alvin for his physical six days later, however, the doctor told her the dog’s health posed too big a risk. He quoted her $300 a month, or more, for the one animal.

McNamara left. The Hannah Society kept her $190, until she called four times and finally returned to the Clackamas location to get it back. She filed a complaint with the Oregon Department of Justice. A spokesman says the department is not investigating.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

I really, really want to see a $2500 vacuum now. I like to imagine it's just a portable black hole.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).
Our current set of pots and pans wss $100 from JCP. I winced at paying that.

We've also spent $400 on vacuums and carpet shampooers in the last year. $160 on a shampooer, $70 on a crap vacuum, $90 on a somewhat better one, and $35 on a steam vac. That felt excessive. I can't see doing that in 4 months.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

No guys you're looking at this all wrong, look how much equity he's built. He's diversifying his equity, actually a very savvy move on his part since he'll have something to borrow against when even the predatory credit cards continue to turn him down.

Do you think we could get him to accept a credit card with a $1000 limit for the low annual fee of$565, monthly maintenance fee of $35, and rewards membership annual fee of $450???

Oh yeah and the over limit fee is $35, plus an increase to 39.9% apr (from 29.9).

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Comrade Flynn posted:

I really, really want to see a $2500 vacuum now. I like to imagine it's just a portable black hole.

$2500 is actually really cheap for a high-end vacuum.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

Comrade Flynn posted:

Thats more than I net all year in the burbs of this city. :negative:

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

flynt posted:

I went looking for expensive pots and pans because I didn't think it was possible to spend 3500$ and Williams Sonoma did not let me down. http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/all-clad-copper-core-ultimate-30-piece-cookware-set/?pkey=ccookware-sets%7C%7C&cm_src=cookware-sets||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-

Suggested price: 5439$
Our price: 4000$

You're saving 1439$ and there's a GWP, you can't afford not to buy it.

For 4k Gordon Ramsay better show up to cook at least once a month.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

I just started an entry-level government job in Los Angeles that starts at just below twice the minimum wage. Previously I was working two jobs, 56 hours seven days a week, at just over minimum wage. I was as comfortable as I could be working 56 hours a week.

My new coworkers complain incessantly about their pay. About how they can just barely make ends meet paycheck to paycheck. I just want to ask them what the gently caress they're spending all of their money on.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Series DD Funding posted:

It's cool how everyone has the exact same wants as you.

They seem to. They always complain itt about not having lower costs and jobs *shrugs*

Sorry missed this post though was viewing Egyptian style belly dancing at belly dancing Mecca, Des Moines, Iowa.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Devian666 posted:

He owns $10k of bitcoin and owes a friend $10k. What an arsehole.

You don't know enough about the guy or the situation with his friend to make that judgement.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

opus111 posted:

You don't know enough about the guy or the situation with his friend to make that judgement.

It's good with money to not repay an unsecured loan.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

This has come up before. Goons have bad friends. I lent a friend thousands on his word before knowing he would take months to pay it back. My dad bought his first car on borrowed money from his best friend. You are all so cynical and twisted if you can't do that imo.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

opus111 posted:

This has come up before. Goons have bad friends. I lent a friend thousands on his word before knowing he would take months to pay it back. My dad bought his first car on borrowed money from his best friend. You are all so cynical and twisted if you can't do that imo.

Lending money to people that are slow or don't repay is bad with money. Sure we've all done that at some point but $10k loan when he is gambling with bitcoin? By the end of the year it'll probably be about $6k of bitcoin. He has an opportunity to not kill his friendship. Therefore he is an arsehole.

flynt
Dec 30, 2006
Triggerhappy and gunshy

Phrasing posted:

I just started an entry-level government job in Los Angeles that starts at just below twice the minimum wage. Previously I was working two jobs, 56 hours seven days a week, at just over minimum wage. I was as comfortable as I could be working 56 hours a week.

My new coworkers complain incessantly about their pay. About how they can just barely make ends meet paycheck to paycheck. I just want to ask them what the gently caress they're spending all of their money on.

I had a similar situation after finding a professional job about a year after graduating college. The answer was rent for a 2 bedroom apartment for a single person because they needed the extra space to store their figurines and DVDs. How many DVDs? 3-5 new ones every week. He took out a 401k loan out to consolidate his credit card debt from all the figurine/DVD purchases.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Devian666 posted:

Lending money to people that are slow or don't repay is bad with money. Sure we've all done that at some point but $10k loan when he is gambling with bitcoin? By the end of the year it'll probably be about $6k of bitcoin. He has an opportunity to not kill his friendship. Therefore he is an arsehole.

You don't know anything about him. Maybe his friend is rich or whatever!

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

opus111 posted:

You don't know anything about him. Maybe his friend is rich or whatever!

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

opus111 posted:

You don't know anything about him.

Bullshit. We know he owns buttcoins--that's more than enough to base a value judgement on.

It'd be like my friend simultaneously owing me $10,000 and buying $1,000 worth of lottery tickets every week. Except the tickets are for a lottery that doesn't exist.

---OR---

A wild white knight appears!

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Pots/Vacuum/Bitcoin guy is also in the army. And at one point his wife was also trying to join the army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

flynt posted:

I had a similar situation after finding a professional job about a year after graduating college. The answer was rent for a 2 bedroom apartment for a single person because they needed the extra space to store their figurines and DVDs. How many DVDs? 3-5 new ones every week. He took out a 401k loan out to consolidate his credit card debt from all the figurine/DVD purchases.

Were you the one with the recent stories in this thread, or am I thinking of someone else? If it was you, how've things been since you got out, and how's he doing now?

• Locked thread