Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
I firmly believe VT will make a bowl game this year. If we have a good season, it may even be a decent bowl game! I haven't actually gone to a bowl since the 2004 Sugar Bowl against Auburn. The moment I got my first real degree-related job I said I was gonna go to the next interesting VT bowl game. We haven't had one since. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

Also when a VT fan talks hopefully about how good the offense can be 'this year,' they're normally getting giddy about the possibility of ranking around 50th in the country. Which would be a quantum leap for us.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Raku posted:

The most optimistic post about VT in this thread was basically "Holy poo poo Michael Brewer seemed to have a non-concussed-to-mush brain today, when he is playing our own defense"

Honestly, he was a totally different QB in the Ohio State game and I do think he was concussed and hope that he actually does well this year because for that one game (until the hit) he looked like a superstar.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

an adult beverage posted:

Purdue's alternates look pretty sweet. I like the railroad stripe on the helmet:

"Alright, we need a cool tagline . What do we know about Purdue football?"

".................."

".................."

"They play in the fall when all the other teams play?"

"Good enough. Print it."

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

PostNouveau posted:

Haha, so Charlie Strong got deposed for Oklahoma State's lawsuit against Joe Wickline. He forgot Tyrone Swoopes' first name, saying when asked, "He goes by Swoops. Jarrod Heard. What's my man's first name?"

I'm phone posting or I'd post the transcript. Somebody help me out.

Here's the full text.

The A&M SBNation blog already found the most hilarious moments, though.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Nur_Neerg posted:

I firmly believe VT will make a bowl game this year. If we have a good season, it may even be a decent bowl game! I haven't actually gone to a bowl since the 2004 Sugar Bowl against Auburn. The moment I got my first real degree-related job I said I was gonna go to the next interesting VT bowl game. We haven't had one since. :smith:

You guys have gone to multiple BCS games since then :psyduck:

Or did you only get your job a couple of years ago?

Zifnab
Aug 21, 2005

Hope Springs Eternal

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

How are Washington fans feeling about Petersen? Is he the right guy or did he walk into a situation where Sark didn't leave him a full cupboard, notwithstanding the recruiting rankings?

Little hard to tell, there have been some pretty massive holes in the roster. At one point last year we were starting 3 true freshman in the secondary - and the nickel guy was also a true freshman. The veteran of the group was a true sophomore.

This year we lost like 6 of our front 7 on defense and most of our OL without a lot of proven depth at either position.

That isn't getting into the fact that every QB on the roster last year was complete garbage

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Zifnab posted:

Little hard to tell, there have been some pretty massive holes in the roster. At one point last year we were starting 3 true freshman in the secondary - and the nickel guy was also a true freshman. The veteran of the group was a true sophomore.

This year we lost like 6 of our front 7 on defense and most of our OL without a lot of proven depth at either position.

That isn't getting into the fact that every QB on the roster last year was complete garbage

counterpoint: eat poo poo, fuckers!!

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

Honestly, he was a totally different QB in the Ohio State game and I do think he was concussed and hope that he actually does well this year because for that one game (until the hit) he looked like a superstar.

Between Brewer turning into two-face after that game and losing about 1000 runningbacks and offensive linemen, simply avoiding a repeat of that this year will do wonders on offense.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Clemson's spring game was fun. There was 37,000 ppl there apparently.

Tucker Israel made a few passes.

That's... that's it I guess.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

You guys have gone to multiple BCS games since then :psyduck:

Or did you only get your job a couple of years ago?

I got my first real gig after the Sugar bowl we beat Michigan before the refs decided we didn't. We haven't been useful since really.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

SC's spring game was a good time. Darius Rucker was the celebrity who caught our annual trick play touchdown, which was probably the most notable thing that happened. Connor Mitch wasn't flashy, but I'd say he's definitely QB1 and didn't do anything to screw that up. The battle for the backup spot should be really heated, especially when Lorenzo Nunez arrives in the fall, so that's something to keep an eye on. The only other standouts were Marquavis Lewis, who looks like he could be the Clowney-esque presence we were sorely missing on the DL last year, and Deebo Samuels, who is practically an Ace Sanders clone. Overall, the defense is definitely ahead of the offense at this stage, but I was happy from what I saw of how Hoke does things. Guys seemed much more aggressive and were flying around the ball instead of giving receivers 20-yard cushions before attempting an impotent arm tackle. We'll see how well that translates into actual games, but there were probably more "OHHHH" hits in that scrimmage than there were in the entirety of last season.

RumbleFish fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 12, 2015

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
That was one of the dumbest games I think I've ever watched, from Denard Robinson playing like, well Denard Robinson against non-cupcakes, to Virginia Tech fans still crying about it years later. Also Michigan's rapist kicker winning the game. Oh and David Molk who was actually really good and fun to watch tearing his tendon right before the game and subsequently playing like hot garbage because the backup center couldn't even complete one non-muffed snap.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

RumbleFish posted:

SC's spring game was a good time. Darius Rucker was the celebrity who caught our annual trick play touchdown, which was probably the most notable thing that happened.

e: yeah i can see it now

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Detroit_Dogg posted:

That was one of the dumbest games I think I've ever watched, from Denard Robinson playing like, well Denard Robinson against non-cupcakes, to Virginia Tech fans still crying about it years later. Also Michigan's rapist kicker winning the game. Oh and David Molk who was actually really good and fun to watch tearing his tendon right before the game and subsequently playing like hot garbage because the backup center couldn't even complete one non-muffed snap.

You forgot one of our starting WRs acting as a punter and our kick off man doing field goals for the first time in his career because the usual place kicker was arrested for trying to rob one of our basketball players.

Oh and our wide receiver punter tried a fake punt that went horribly wrong.

gently caress Pac-12 refs forever, though.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

No more Lou Holtz on ESPN, guys

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

sufferin' succotash

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

R.D. Mangles posted:

sufferin' succotash

Balee dat

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

pillsburysoldier posted:

Godbleth

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
But now who will have the courage to declare Notre Dame the best team in the country every year before the season starts?

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

I really don't think people realize just what a loving jackpot VT's gameplan for that game was or that Brewer basically was incredibly fortunate for how it worked. Bud Foster went with a ridiculous old school defense that hadn't been dusted off for years that Urban wouldn't expect or prepare a freshman QB for. VT's offense was essentially exploiting the problem with the Cover 4 shell at the time (tendency to leave sticks, ins, and outs wide open) and kept getting good enough field position thanks to the defense (especially turnovers) that a strategy of dink-dunk actually could work. Brewer is a former air raid QB most comfortable with those shorter and intermediate gains, meaning really the whole thing just meshed together well.

Without the defense keeping that field short, that game gets a hell of a lot scarier for VT considering Brewer threw 2 picks in that time and never really had to push the ball too far in the air. The concussion certainly had an effect I imagine, but other games when the defense didn't totally strangle the other team meant he couldn't essentially run a cruise control offense every drive, which has to hurt the comfort level of a guy like that a lot.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

th

-lou holtz

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Nooooo

The only silver lining is if this leads to Lou appearing on The Five more often.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
I was curious so I checked out Purdue's 2015 football schedule. 1-11 sounds about right. The only win is going to come against FCS Indiana State on Sept. 12 -- kind of hilarious that they scheduled an FCS opponent on a short week following a road trip to Marshall (which, even though Rakeem Cato no longer plays for them, still should be a tough out). After that, the schedule looks like:

Virginia Tech, Bowling Green, @Michigan State, Minnesota, @Wisconsin, BYE, Nebraska, Illinois, @Northwestern, @Iowa, Indiana

Getting Illinois at home after that six-game stretch must feel like how Guantanamo detainees feel when they eat at a restaurant for the first time since their capture. That is the Boilermakers' only chance at a Big Ten victory this season unless one of those final three royally fucks up. Not sure what Darrell Hazell's job security is but, well, he should probably start packing just in case.

e: Purdue does have an offensive tackle from Sweden and this guy on their team so there are reasons to like the Boilermakers.

VDay posted:

But now who will have the courage to declare Notre Dame the best team in the country every year before the season starts?

The ghost of Beano Cook

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

TheGreyGhost posted:

Without the defense keeping that field short, that game gets a hell of a lot scarier for VT considering Brewer threw 2 picks in that time and never really had to push the ball too far in the air. The concussion certainly had an effect I imagine, but other games when the defense didn't totally strangle the other team meant he couldn't essentially run a cruise control offense every drive, which has to hurt the comfort level of a guy like that a lot.

Your cornerbacks looked like studs out on the islands during that game.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I watched the orange and blue game.

Will Grier's 9 snaps are the best Florida QB'ing we've had since Tebow left.

He is accurate and has pocket presence and buys time with his mobility. It's super weird.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Nothing too shocking at BG's spring game. Offense should be loaded as hell.

What's a defense?

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Alouicious posted:

choo choo all aboard the 1-11 train

Notice how 1-11 looks like a train going down some railroad tracks

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

pillsburysoldier posted:

Our long national nightmare is over.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Now get rid of Mark May and just have SVP take over the show.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Ehud posted:

Now get rid of Mark May and just have SVP take over the show.

I'd be ok with this.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Rambling, incoherent old man homer slot to be filled by Gonzo Le Batard.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

TheGreyGhost posted:

I really don't think people realize just what a loving jackpot VT's gameplan for that game was or that Brewer basically was incredibly fortunate for how it worked. Bud Foster went with a ridiculous old school defense that hadn't been dusted off for years that Urban wouldn't expect or prepare a freshman QB for. VT's offense was essentially exploiting the problem with the Cover 4 shell at the time (tendency to leave sticks, ins, and outs wide open) and kept getting good enough field position thanks to the defense (especially turnovers) that a strategy of dink-dunk actually could work. Brewer is a former air raid QB most comfortable with those shorter and intermediate gains, meaning really the whole thing just meshed together well.

I've completely rationalized that loss. If Corey Smith doesn't drop that touchdown pass and if Cameron Johnston doesn't shank that punt and Neurberger doesn't miss those field goals then Barrett doesn't throw the pick six on the comeback attempt then Ohio State wins.

Also if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.

Now that Lou's retiring it's time for a Trev Alberts comeback. Who's with me?

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Don't forget your linebackers filling their gaps and covering shallow outs

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

pillsburysoldier posted:

Don't forget your linebackers filling their gaps and covering shallow outs

I didn't want to get greedy, otherwise I would have asked for Braxton Miller not to be hurt, the line not to play like Jim Bollman was coaching them again and Ezekiel Elliott to have more than 8 rushing attempts. Plus that would divert too much blame from Corey Smith who is just the absolute worst receiver.

e. All the Dr. Lou talk reminds me I saw a guy this weekend wearing a t-shirt commemorating Notre Dame's undefeated 2012 season. That seems like the type of thing you'd only wear to mock a friend of yours that was a Notre Dame fan.

Spacemonkey57 fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Apr 13, 2015

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
My favorite Lou Holtz memory is when he chose Notre Dame to beat Bama 21-10 or something, and then when Mark May predicted Bama would win by at least three touchdowns Lou asked him how he still had a job as a sports analyst. Oh Lou.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

I was curious so I checked out Purdue's 2015 football schedule. 1-11 sounds about right. The only win is going to come against FCS Indiana State on Sept. 12 -- kind of hilarious that they scheduled an FCS opponent on a short week following a road trip to Marshall (which, even though Rakeem Cato no longer plays for them, still should be a tough out). After that, the schedule looks like:
Hahahahaha

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Anals of History posted:

Rambling, incoherent old man homer slot to be filled by Gonzo Le Batard.

Oh so just plug in any old guy whose primary language isn't English I guess.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Raku posted:

Like as a Bama fan and homer people hate on me and my dumb school and so I'll do dumb, hypocritical poo poo-talking back and all but at least acknowledge some level of reality. There isn't a Hokie poster on this website that expects anything but constant disappointing trips to the military bowl, keeping the Virginia streak alive, and upsetting one great team while losing to three lovely ones.

Contrariwise: I think we're gonna have one of those unforgettable, special seasons where we only lose to two lovely teams and manage to fall backwards into the conference championship game.

Optimism!

Your cornerbacks looked like studs out on the islands during that game.

Fuller and Facyson are ridiculous. We can stack the box all year.

mdemone fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

C2C - 2.0 posted:

gently caress the SEC!

Until your team isn't in the title game and then ROLLLLLL TIDDEEEEE S-E-C, S-E-C, S-E-C!!!

Iowa had an open practice on saturday and, shockingly, the offense looks really bad! But I guess most of the issues were o-line related which is the only thing we are still actually good at coaching so maybe that will get better. But probably not! 6-6 woo woo woo.

• Locked thread