Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azazel
Jun 6, 2001
I bitch slap for a living - you want some?

take boat posted:

I played a few games of this, it was fun! Congrats on releasing.

Thanks! Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

We have an update coming out which makes it slightly easier in the beginning as well as longer game play times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Very cool! I need to mess around with shaders again some time.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul
I've been adding features to my picture evolver. Most importantly, it now has a proper settings dialog.

There is now a 100% operational SVG exporter, too. I can make these babies any size I want! I still edited these in the IMGUR interface, because I am a moron, but theoretically... I can make these babies any size I want!

I've also added multiple new elements to use in the drawing process. I think my favorite is the pixel splotch.

The new elements combine nicely.

Tann posted:

Very cool! I need to mess around with shaders again some time.

Me, too. Well, maybe these are more like filters.

Meet Circuit Board Madonna and Our Lady of Tetrominos.

The Russian Bear Brigade says hello!

Man, I wish I could get paid for this.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
put up prints on etsy

ndb
Aug 25, 2005

Definitely not as cool as some of the projects seen here, and I've posted about it before, but I'm still working on my little game, called "Regicide". I've hired a publicist and another developer to help me out (who both went to the same college as me), and my partner is also helping me out by helping me work on the story. We're getting some attention, especially from feminist sources (because our team of four is made up of entirely of women or nonbinary-identified individuals) and LGBT sources.

(All pictures are coming from my domain)

Since last time I posted I:

Updated the UI. Ignore the fact that some of the icons are cut off, that's being worked on as we speak.

I also created a dialog system that's similar to 80s RPGs.

Graphics are like 100% better and reminiscent of a SNES RPG, not my childish drawings.

I don't have a pic/video of it, but I also implemented an event scripting system.

Also, all of this is done in Javascript and not using a HTML canvas. I built the engine from scratch. The only libraries I use is jQuery and Mustache. The only time HTML5 properties are used is for music and for local storage. I did this mostly to prove that you could do it.

Also, I redid the plot. The original plot involved you, a princess, going through and rescuing your family after a coup d'etat. Now you're an amnesiac being watched over by a mutated version of yourself, and you must piece together what the gently caress happened. I was told I should write about what I know about, and I know about being amnesiac. I lost my memory in January because my idea of stress relief is working harder, and I refused to treat my underlying depression. :downs: Mental illness, it doesn't gently caress around. Fortunately everything was still there, but I had trouble accessing the information - one of the last things I remembered was actually how to program. Reading code of the game and from work caused me to seizure. Other then the fact I'm suffering from a condition called psychogenic non-epileptic seizures (aka PNES, which is the WORST initial-ism you can give to a mental illness), I've pretty much bounced back and been working on the game for more than six hours a day.

TZer0
Jun 22, 2013

Centripetal Horse posted:

I've been adding features to my picture evolver. Most importantly, it now has a proper settings dialog.

Question: is the source code available?

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

TZer0 posted:

Question: is the source code available?

At the moment, the source is an even bigger disaster than My L-system doohickey. However, the source for the program that inspired mine (which is neat and well-organized) is available. Do a Google search for "EvoLisa," and it should come up.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

At the moment, the source is an even bigger disaster than My L-system doohickey. However, the source for the program that inspired mine (which is neat and well-organized) is available. Do a Google search for "EvoLisa," and it should come up.

EvoLisa source for those interested.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

ndb posted:

Fortunately everything was still there, but I had trouble accessing the information - one of the last things I remembered was actually how to program. Reading code of the game and from work caused me to seizure. Other then the fact I'm suffering from a condition called psychogenic non-epileptic seizures (aka PNES, which is the WORST initial-ism you can give to a mental illness), I've pretty much bounced back and been working on the game for more than six hours a day.

This is cool, although at first I thought you said remembering how to program was one of the first things that came back (the magic of code :frogbon:). You might get picked up on a few indie game sites too, since your concept is a lot more unusual now and has those layers of personal experience for people to explore

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

A client needed lower thirds for live production with mattes (no chroma keying) on a budget - and they needed to be capable of live changes.

This mess of a TouchDesigner network

Gives you this interface:

Next up, a way to queue titles and add bugs and times and tickers for the full "cable news" effect.

I don't get paid enough to do this.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

thelightguy posted:

A client needed lower thirds for live production with mattes (no chroma keying) on a budget - and they needed to be capable of live changes.

This mess of a TouchDesigner network

Gives you this interface:

Next up, a way to queue titles and add bugs and times and tickers for the full "cable news" effect.

I don't get paid enough to do this.

I just wrote a little application to parse XML files for use in vMix overlays. It's being used on basketball broadcasts, right now. I am not familiar with TouchDesigner. Did you integrate this with existing software, or is it a standalone application that accesses the video data, directly, or is it something else that I am not getting?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I just wrote a little application to parse XML files for use in vMix overlays. It's being used on basketball broadcasts, right now. I am not familiar with TouchDesigner. Did you integrate this with existing software, or is it a standalone application that accesses the video data, directly, or is it something else that I am not getting?

Please don't write your own XML parser except as an excercise. There will with a 100% certainty be serious, dangerous faults in the one you write. Still, the act of writing it is a good lesson. Just don't use it. Use a standard or library one instead.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

TouchDesigner is a software package for video/audio manipulation - like Max/MSP or Pd but with integrated python APIs that make more complex projects easier. I initially found out about it when it was being used to drive a video wall for a tour I was working with several years ago.

What this particular project does is take pre-rendered animated graphics with multiple mattes (background, logo, text) and composites the logo and text the client enters on top of the graphics before outputting two separate video streams to an external keyer - the composite graphic layer and the composite matte for keying it on top of the live video. They chose this option because it's cheaper to pay my company to pay me to build this than it is to buy an external titler with the features they want, TouchDesigner is only $600/seat and runs on any PC with an nvidia graphics card so it's cheap to scale, and it uses the existing keyer in their panasonic switchers so there's no added frame delay like there is with vMix or Livestream Studio or other titler/keyer combos.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Exploiting a home-grown XML parser is one of the most common ways people like me achieve Remote Code Execution or arbitrary file access on target systems.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

The Russian Bear Brigade says hello!

Man, I wish I could get paid for this.

This is in no way mine but your posts here were the first thing that came to mind when I read the paper and saw this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMHHfMTJTDk

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

These are pretty sweet, what language are you using?

Have you ever played with https://www.shadertoy.com/ ? Pretty nifty poo poo right there.

I'm tempted to start a thread for posting cool shader demos.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

These are pretty sweet, what language are you using?

Have you ever played with https://www.shadertoy.com/ ? Pretty nifty poo poo right there.

I'm tempted to start a thread for posting cool shader demos.
Thanks. :) It's all custom GLSL/C++ stuff.

Yeah I've played with ShaderToy a bit and it's awesome. I love the rendered thumbnail galleries! I have a poor-man's version of it in my own engine, where all the shaders and textures can be edited live. Nothing beats having a tight creative loop.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

I've been playing with 3D force directed graphs using WebGL and GPGPU (ping ponging shaders).
That's 15,000 particles all interacting with eachother. I don't have any edges in this graph as it was a sanity check test after adding in friction and gravity to the simulation code.

I might try n-body physics sims after this.

And it all runs in a browser.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Tres Burritos posted:

I've been playing with 3D force directed graphs using WebGL and GPGPU (ping ponging shaders).
That's 15,000 particles all interacting with eachother. I don't have any edges in this graph as it was a sanity check test after adding in friction and gravity to the simulation code.

I might try n-body physics sims after this.

And it all runs in a browser.

Do you have this running anywhere? I have a coworker who would love to see this in action.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

shodanjr_gr posted:

Do you have this running anywhere? I have a coworker who would love to see this in action.

You can check it out running here, source code is here.

"Bonus" velocity field simulation here.

I bumped the particles down to 4k, also I haven't tested this on anything but my machine and chrome (42.0.2311.68 beta-m), and it actively crashed my firefox, so the usual "it works on my machine" warning applies.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
I went to LAHacks last weekend and my team won Best Music Hack for a project called LivingSound:
Challengepost: http://challengepost.com/software/ls-living-sound
Actual project: http://lahacks15.yaodaniel.com/ (Chrome only, and that's the name of one of my partners)
It can make a visualization out of any song on soundcloud with one of the three animations we were able to make during the 36-hour span of the competition.
The front-end UI was made with Bootstrap and Ajax, and we obtained the songs from soundcloud by using their API. The animations were made using webGL and three.js.

Example (DONT WATCH IF YOU HAVE EPILEPSY):
http://lahacks15.yaodaniel.com/play.php?song=https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/424925/stream
(Just refresh if you want to see a different animation-the fireworks animation is probably the best for this song).

Screenshot:

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 8, 2015

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

I've got no sound on any of those on chrome (42.0.2311.68 beta-m).

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Tres Burritos posted:

I've got no sound on any of those on chrome (42.0.2311.68 beta-m).
That's weird, it ran fine for me and my group. I have version 41.0.2272.118 m. Maybe try closing any other tabs which provide sound, like youtube videos.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Apr 8, 2015

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Firefox had no sound, but visuals.
Safari had sound but no visuals
Chrome had both.

I dunno?

Looks neato though!

Valtis
Sep 21, 2009
I'm creating a scripting language for game engine architecture course and adding it to a 2d game engine me and a few others created for a different game project course. I dug up my older project and cleaned the code base a bit.

Compared to the older project, I have implemented more types like strings and doubles, a garbage collected heap for strings and added the ability to bind and register C++ functions with the virtual machine. For example, in the screenshot below, all printing is done by invoking a registered function.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
hey look it's a readable lisp

nuvan
Mar 29, 2008

And the gentle call of the feral 3am "Everything is going so well you can't help but panic."

Valtis posted:

I'm creating a scripting language for game engine architecture course and adding it to a 2d game engine me and a few others created for a different game project course. I dug up my older project and cleaned the code base a bit.

Compared to the older project, I have implemented more types like strings and doubles, a garbage collected heap for strings and added the ability to bind and register C++ functions with the virtual machine. For example, in the screenshot below, all printing is done by invoking a registered function.

I'm curious about the CheneyCollector...

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

nuvan posted:

I'm curious about the CheneyCollector...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheney%27s_algorithm

Despite appearances, the Cheyney algorithm doesn't involve invading a non-local state and deleting any structure that can't be repurposed for the current regime.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Suspicious Dish posted:

hey look it's a readable lisp

Polish notation is never readable :colbert:

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

Hubis posted:

Polish notation is never readable :colbert:

But if you reverse it, it all falls into place!

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Superschaf posted:

I loved Forth when younger (specially on muds and mucks)

1 2 + =

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Superschaf posted:

This actually makes me wonder -- are there any languages that allow for "infix functions"? I ask because it occurred to me that "prefix" is basically what is used for all other function calls in all other languages, and I'm wondering if Infix is more readable to me just simply out of habit or of there's some other sort of ergonomics at play. Obviously C++ allows for a lot of operator overloading, but that's problematic for its own reasons.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Hubis posted:

This actually makes me wonder -- are there any languages that allow for "infix functions"? I ask because it occurred to me that "prefix" is basically what is used for all other function calls in all other languages, and I'm wondering if Infix is more readable to me just simply out of habit or of there's some other sort of ergonomics at play. Obviously C++ allows for a lot of operator overloading, but that's problematic for its own reasons.
Oh, lots. Haskell lets you define whatever weird sequence of characters you want to be an infix operator. Oddly it doesn't allow an alphanumeric function to be infix by default but they can be made infix on demand instead.
code:
mod 5 3
5 `mod` 3
are equivalent in the language.

Even in less syntactically adventurous languages like C++ or Java you have member functions being called as o.f(x) instead of f(o, x), which is essentially a type of infixing.

There are also languages that allow mixfix operators if you want to truly write some tortuously confusing code that happens to match your paper more closely. For a simple example, here's if-then-else defined as a mixfix operator in Agda:
code:
  if_then_else_ : {A : Set} -> Bool -> A -> A -> A
  if true then x else y = x
  if false then x else y = y

The Laplace Demon
Jul 23, 2009

"Oh dear! Oh dear! Heisenberg is a douche!"

Hubis posted:

Everything Xerophyte said above. There are also bizarre things you can do in C++ with operator overloading that kinda enable arbitrarily named infix operators (as long as those arbitrary names begin and end with operators, usually < and >). For example...

captain_g
Aug 24, 2007
Got repair drones working:

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Are you planning on keeping the current graphical style or replacing with actual ship graphics later on?

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

captain_g posted:

Got repair drones working:

Looking great reminds me a bit like SunDog where you had to put replacement parts or shunts in to keep your engines working.

One point, if you have 2 drones why not fix 2 bits at the same time rather than both off doing the same bit. would allow for scaling when adding more drones or losing one to damage etc.

captain_g
Aug 24, 2007

Manslaughter posted:

Are you planning on keeping the current graphical style or replacing with actual ship graphics later on?

I know the graphics style divides people. It is currently 'programmer art' and I'm pretty happy with it.

Ideally I'd find a proper pixel artist interested in advancing the current style, but I'm open to suggestions. I want the project to be a 'feel good' project for everyone participating (as it is very unlikely that there'll be any money involved ever) and I want to keep the Warning Forever inspired graphics until we find someone who is a good fit for the project.

At the moment, I don't want to let the graphics to get in the way of implementing things.

TheresaJayne posted:

Looking great reminds me a bit like SunDog where you had to put replacement parts or shunts in to keep your engines working.

One point, if you have 2 drones why not fix 2 bits at the same time rather than both off doing the same bit. would allow for scaling when adding more drones or losing one to damage etc.

Actually, you found a bug: the drones were supposed to pick the part they are going to fix randomly. The drones apply repair individually.

I really lucked out with the audio guy. He lives in the same city. Best part is that he's also super interested in space games. He's done multiple tracks already for the game and is currently working on sound effects.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Knyteguy posted:

Here's a little rom manager I started working on for fun:

Quick update:

I'm not a big fan of the console alias:console:emulator relations in the advanced settings. It's meant to cover use scenarios where one user will have a folder with roms named PS1, and another will have Playstation 1, and another will have PSX, but I may try to come up with a better way to do that.

After clicking the create Steam shortcuts button, it allows Roms to be launched directly from Steam:

Now the concept came from a Python software I found on Github, but I ported it to C#/WPF because I don't know Python and it wasn't user friendly at all.

The main benefit of this is not just for pretty pictures; it allows roms to be streamed via Limelight (http://limelight-stream.com/)/Nvidia Gamestream/etc . This allows budget friendly nostalgia gaming for the whole family in the living room with a bluetooth controller or two. This is a feature the Python software does not do very well at all (or just Big Picture in general), so that was kind of my main motivation.

The UI is a work in progress also.

edit: vv Thanks if you mean my project.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Very loving cool :)