Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Grody posted:

Anyone ever been stationed in lemoore? is it as bad as it looks?

I've been TAD there a few times and it was as bad as it looks (and smells) each time. A lot of the fighter guys that I talked to there led off with something along the lines of "you lucky motherfucker, you don't have to live here". I was talking with one guy about good places to go for dinner, and the high point was "well, there's a Chili's in town..."

Not to say there aren't some hidden gems to be found, but if there are, you're gonna have to dig for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

LingcodKilla posted:

Any reservists who have volunteered for active duty in here?

Do you mean mobilization or actual permanent transition to active duty sailoring?

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Grody posted:

I just had a friend get humanitarian xferred out of Lemoore because her kid kept getting lung infections from the air quality.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

sailoring

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I've been TAD there a few times and it was as bad as it looks (and smells) each time. A lot of the fighter guys that I talked to there led off with something along the lines of "you lucky motherfucker, you don't have to live here". I was talking with one guy about good places to go for dinner, and the high point was "well, there's a Chili's in town..."

Not to say there aren't some hidden gems to be found, but if there are, you're gonna have to dig for them.

Sounds like I'm gonna have a great 4 years

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

Stultus Maximus posted:

Do you mean mobilization or actual permanent transition to active duty sailoring?

might as well mobilize imo get all the bennies of active duty for a 1-2 year period including GI bill credit/retirement credit & cash & healthcare and when you get back you can be like nah i dont wanna deploy for another two years, or maybe i do, cause im a reservist and have some choice

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

might as well mobilize imo get all the bennies of active duty for a 1-2 year period including GI bill credit/retirement credit & cash & healthcare and when you get back you can be like nah i dont wanna deploy for another two years, or maybe i do, cause im a reservist and have some choice

This. I'm too old to go active permanently but I'm good for active reserve or a mobilization.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

ded posted:

I am sorry that you have a hard time finding women. Perhaps you should try leaving the barracks, there are much better looking women off base.

usually hang out at M, pint & jigger, rum fire. nothing but ratchet hoes and walrus pussy.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

This. I'm too old to go active permanently but I'm good for active reserve or a mobilization.

once you check into your command and do indoc and get set up with NSIPS access you can change your status to volunteer and that will open you up to many opportunities to mobilize and go do some active duty time as a reservist. what's your rate again? cause if it's any kinda IDC we're kind of a hot commodity right now for mobilization

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

once you check into your command and do indoc and get set up with NSIPS access you can change your status to volunteer and that will open you up to many opportunities to mobilize and go do some active duty time as a reservist. what's your rate again? cause if it's any kinda IDC we're kind of a hot commodity right now for mobilization

IT e3 just about to complete A school

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

IT e3 just about to complete A school

i believe IT is considered a part of the IDC.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

IT is the IDC, gently caress CT's

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

Excellent. Going to try like hell to get something Bangor, Puget or Keyport. Silverdale looks pretty nice.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

Arione posted:

i'm an IS, the coolest part of the IDC

LingcodKilla posted:

Excellent. Going to try like hell to get something Bangor, Puget or Keyport. Silverdale looks pretty nice.
good luck shippie, im guessing once you got to a-school and stuff they got ya with the koolaid and active duty or mobilization looks pretty neat. happened to me too now im totes gonna mobilize, no ragrets etc.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Arione posted:

Printer bitches 4 life

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

IS's make the best bake sale power points....

orange juche posted:

Printer bitches 4 life

if you are a poo poo rear end IT, then yeah, same shop as the desktop support pukes who'll be lucky to land a job at bestbuy when they get out.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Our field is called information dominance and we unironically use the word cyber. There's some weird sex thing going on

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

good luck shippie, im guessing once you got to a-school and stuff they got ya with the koolaid and active duty or mobilization looks pretty neat. happened to me too now im totes gonna mobilize, no ragrets etc.

Uh... Yeah? My resume pretty much reads "Have gun, will travel...oh yeah have some dinky A+ cert too". A hitch would let me fluff up IT background and earn some bennies that would otherwise take me decades to earn.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
The speed that the Navy moves admin is sometimes terrifying, terrifying slow....

Still waiting for someone somewhere in the states to stamp my SUBDQ paperwork, so I can finally be released from the submarine community. But because it's taking so long, it's time to go back to "Fit for Full" and fend off orders until my force conversion is processed which can only happen once SUBDQ is finalized. I've also been the one driving this entire process, paperwork and all, I would hate for someone to actually have to rely on other people to finish this. Although I'm sure my current ECM will be happy to get rid of me(extremely overmanned), then after that it's time to poke ECMs for anyone that will take me, fighting for CTN, CT(Whatever) then IT, being a first class makes it kinda of pain in the rear end though. Any CT's willing to vouch for me?

tl;dr: the navy sucks at paperwork and it's own programs, no way a junior sailor could get though this without inadvertently loving himself over...

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Null Integer posted:

The speed that the Navy moves admin is sometimes terrifying, terrifying slow....

Still waiting for someone somewhere in the states to stamp my SUBDQ paperwork, so I can finally be released from the submarine community. But because it's taking so long, it's time to go back to "Fit for Full" and fend off orders until my force conversion is processed which can only happen once SUBDQ is finalized. I've also been the one driving this entire process, paperwork and all, I would hate for someone to actually have to rely on other people to finish this. Although I'm sure my current ECM will be happy to get rid of me(extremely overmanned), then after that it's time to poke ECMs for anyone that will take me, fighting for CTN, CT(Whatever) then IT, being a first class makes it kinda of pain in the rear end though. Any CT's willing to vouch for me?

tl;dr: the navy sucks at paperwork and it's own programs, no way a junior sailor could get though this without inadvertently loving himself over...

Yo it took me a full year to get SUBDQ but I was a stupid 3rd class (and this was 2008) and just waited for everything to happen. If you a first class you should be good for CTN cross rate. I dunno the ins and outs because I'm a filthy civilian and don't keep up with that poo poo anymore.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Grody posted:

There now. If you don't mind catching Valley Fever, the constant smell of cow poo poo, and driving 40+ minutes to anything that loosely resembles civilization it's a great place to live.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Having to wear NWUs on the regular now really blows.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Arione posted:

usually hang out at M, pint & jigger, rum fire. nothing but ratchet hoes and walrus pussy.

That's your problem.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

That's your problem.

I was going to post these exact words last night but I was full of Tequila and had better things to do. Do those places require fedoras for entry or something? I don't remember ever stepping into any of them. I was either A) Too Wasted or B) Already getting laid from the other places I was at.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Laranzu posted:

I was going to post these exact words last night but I was full of Tequila and had better things to do. Do those places require fedoras for entry or something? I don't remember ever stepping into any of them. I was either A) Too Wasted or B) Already getting laid from the other places I was at.

Rum Fire is a resort bar/club. Pint & Jigger is some attempt at a british pub, and I have no loving clue what M is, but it's probably another lovely club.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

Null Integer posted:

i seperated from active duty in december, and only now got indoc'd into my reserve command this weekend.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

Null Integer posted:

Were you a nuke?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

i seperated from active duty in december, and only now got indoc'd into my reserve command this weekend.

Excellent, the reserves sound grand!

Chuckle
Feb 9, 2013

vulturesrow posted:

Having to wear NWUs on the regular now really blows.

Making the change over from the flight suit?

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

PneumonicBook posted:

Excellent, the reserves sound grand!

what's even neater is you could just not show up to drill and they'll just adsep you too, if you want an easy out

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

LingcodKilla posted:

Any reservists who have volunteered for active duty in here?

Yo. I still have all the RC to AC forms if that is what you're asking.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

squarerandom posted:

Yo. I still have all the RC to AC forms if that is what you're asking.

i heard going rc to ac is drat near impossible tho. also i dont see why not just mobilize, same bennies and points towards gi bill/retirement, and you have the option of just chillin at home and being a weekend warrior when you get back from mob

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I will say it again; on active everyone I knew wanted out or to the reserves and in the reserves everyone one either wants to go active or mob. Complete 'grass is greener' syndrome.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

Nick Soapdish posted:

I will say it again; on active everyone I knew wanted out or to the reserves and in the reserves everyone one either wants to go active or mob. Complete 'grass is greener' syndrome.

from what i've seen this is super true. the only exception is the strange dudes who go from IRR to reserves

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

from what i've seen this is super true. the only exception is the strange dudes who go from IRR to reserves

Or the guy who was like a PO3 during Desert Storm and decided to come back to the reserves.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

i heard going rc to ac is drat near impossible tho. also i dont see why not just mobilize, same bennies and points towards gi bill/retirement, and you have the option of just chillin at home and being a weekend warrior when you get back from mob

Depends on your rate. We just had an IS2 go reserve to active and her package was approved faster than I thought the Navy could do anything.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007
NAVADMIN actually put out their thing recently of peeps they need to go active from reserves, and most of the intel rates were on there, including IS.
made me strongly consider putting in my active duty package but after consideration IDK why not just mobilize instead and get the best of both worlds

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

Or the guy who was like a PO3 during Desert Storm and decided to come back to the reserves.

There is a petty officer 2nd class who was last active during desert storm who is now doing IT reserve. He's a pretty chill dude and one of the few people here older than me.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

yo all you navy 10th fleet cyber warriors

do yourself a solid and get this chrome extension

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/cyber-to-wizard/ijefilfadoeifnioiaajdiioacmdebel

it will change your life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:

Null Integer posted:

If you're anything but an E4, good luck going CTN. I've been fighting to cross over as an E5 and unless you're YG 08/09, there's hardly any billets right now and the few available take an interview with a CTNCS, NCC and a final talk with the TechAd. TechAd isn't even considering people without current IT certs or documented college with a CS/CYB degree plan. Not sure what it looks like for E6s though you could check CWAY for conversion-IR quotas.

CTN will swallow you faster than an E2 boot if you're an E4 though. Get a DUI and ask for reduction in rank :toot:

Analogical fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 14, 2015

• Locked thread