Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
fukken bars ahoy

I don't see how this isn't where the tournament ends for Midoriya. I imagine he could *win* by causing Todoroki to stubbornly render himself unable to move by not using his fire side, or by ring out or clobbering him once but after loving his arms up so bad he's not going to be in any condition to fight even if Recovery Girl fixes him due to exhaustion.

Also, I'd love to see him fight Iida but a rematch against Bakugou at this point...ehhhh, I don't see it happening. If he wins, he has to bow out...I guess beating Todoroki would be good enough for All Might's wishes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
You don't see how the underdog protagonist of a shonen story could possibly win in a situation where it looks like he's on his last legs? Am I reading your post correctly? I just want to make sure I am. Also, I find it hilarious that you're suggesting that exhaustion will put someone out of a tournament in fiction of any kind.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

tsob posted:

You don't see how the underdog protagonist of a shonen story could possibly win in a situation where it looks like he's on his last legs? Am I reading your post correctly? I just want to make sure I am. Also, I find it hilarious that you're suggesting that exhaustion will put someone out of a tournament in fiction of any kind.

Look man you read enough Ippo and you start to always expect the worst and for rival fights to never happen

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
What does Todoroki want more, to win the fight or to piss off his father? Quitting the tournament would be a pretty big gently caress You, Dad.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Speaking of Ippo,Deku totally has those "glowing dead eyes" that boxers in Ippo seem to get when they're really serious, half in a trance, and about to kick some major rear end. Those are the eyes of a champ there.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how much PAIN does clenching that fist entail holy poo poo :allears:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

tsob posted:

This guy kinda likes subverting cliches a bit. Also he technically wonlost the exam fight with Bakugou.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

And he can winlose this one too.

Defeat Todoroki, be unable to continue anyway.

Which will piss of Baku something insane and watching him lose his loving mind because his "win" is gently caress all without his two strongest rivals is hilarious in of itself.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Blinks77 posted:

And he can winlose this one too.

Defeat Todoroki, be unable to continue anyway.
That's pretty much what I said.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Fabricated posted:

This guy kinda likes subverting cliches a bit. Also he technically wonlost the exam fight with Bakugou.

He doesn't always subvert them though and plays quite a few straight as a ruler.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Can Deku actually fire All For One out of anywhere other than his hands?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
By this point I don't care who wins or loses as long as we can avoid a Bleach situation where the protagonist who's only just awakened to his powers trains for half a day and chumps dudes who've been at it their entire lives.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Say Nothing posted:

Can Deku actually fire All For One out of anywhere other than his hands?

he's not firing it, there's nothing to fire. he's just flicking his fingers and moving his arms so hard it causes shockwaves

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

tsob posted:

Honestly the manga is well-written enough that I can suspend my disbelief and honestly wonder 'What if the author swerves here?' and feel like it's not out of the question. Like even if Deku just wins through the cliched route, I do genuinely feel more inclined to suspend my disbelief and worry that he might lose than I would in most other mangas. Not a logical thing, I guess.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Never stop being the best character, Bakugou.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
My favorite panel was Deku's mom, sitting in a pile of tissues :3:

I wonder if he's tried super-breath, or if he's too afraid of destroying his rib cage. I know that I would at least want the nurse on hand before I tried.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bad Seafood posted:

By this point I don't care who wins or loses as long as we can avoid a Bleach situation where the protagonist who's only just awakened to his powers trains for half a day and chumps dudes who've been at it their entire lives.

Deku's been training for quite a while, though. He trained for months even before he got One For All, and has likewise been working his rear end off since getting it. Perhaps not his entire life, sure, but he has been working at it.

Also, as he was called out on, Todoroki is not putting his all into this. Using only half his power, spending a lot of time focused on what his father thinks rather than the fight itself, etc. Unless he steps it up he kind of deserves to lose here, really.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I'm half expecting him to push Todoroki until he has to use his fire powers, and then it's revealed that since Todoroki has refused to use it often, he isn't prepared to use it in a real fight. Maybe he's afraid of burning himself, or Deku, or the crowd, but it just doesn't go as planned.

I dunno though. :v:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Hopeford posted:

Honestly the manga is well-written enough that I can suspend my disbelief and honestly wonder 'What if the author swerves here?' and feel like it's not out of the question. Like even if Deku just wins through the cliched route, I do genuinely feel more inclined to suspend my disbelief and worry that he might lose than I would in most other mangas. Not a logical thing, I guess.
Another fairly stock shounen trope is the protagonist suffering a significant defeat early on, which subsequently serves as the basis for much of their growth. Regardless of how likely you think the author is to throw a curveball, "Has Deku had his growth-inducing failure yet?" is a legitimate question. You could argue his whole life prior to obtaining All Might's power served this purpose, or even his presumed failure (actually not) to qualify for UA. Personally I think it's still coming.

Roland Jones posted:

Deku's been training for quite a while, though. He trained for months even before he got One For All, and has likewise been working his rear end off since getting it. Perhaps not his entire life, sure, but he has been working at it.
I didn't mean that as a 1:1 comparison. Deku's worked hard, but he's also only just getting used to his power. Against someone like Todoroki who was born with his power and has no doubt been practicing with it for at least a decade, Deku's firmly slotted in as the underdog. Which is fine. I like a good underdog. I like come from behind victories where the weaker of two combatants overcomes their disadvantage through cunning and ingenuity. What I don't like is the underdog winning because they're the protagonist and the protagonist wins by author fiat. Case in point, Urahara inventing some method of training to allow Ichigo to surpass Byakuya's literal centuries of training in a single afternoon.

Deku's a smart kid, but with both his arms busted and Todoroki in charge, if he can't turn things around legitimately then I'd rather he lose than win because the plot says so.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.

Mr. Fowl posted:

There was a panel in an earlier chapter where she was flipping out from worry/hype that I loved too. His mom's the best. :kimchi:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

DrSunshine posted:

Speaking of Ippo,Deku totally has those "glowing dead eyes" that boxers in Ippo seem to get when they're really serious, half in a trance, and about to kick some major rear end. Those are the eyes of a champ there.

It's called brain damage.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Deku learns that the one organ in his body that can resist the impact of One for All is...his heart. :zoro:

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Mr. Fowl posted:

I wonder if he's tried super-breath, or if he's too afraid of destroying his rib cage. I know that I would at least want the nurse on hand before I tried.

After the Cavalry battle he cried so hard that the force of his tears pushed him into the ground, and his eyes didn't explode.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Tollymain posted:

how much PAIN does clenching that fist entail holy poo poo :allears:

One-For-All is suffering.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Hopeford posted:

I think what helps in this regard is that it's now been established how victory for either side could potentially indicate some character growth, and be a good thing. Ie, if Todoroki uses his fire powers, embracing them and his full potential whilst still giving the middle finger to his father, then his fight with Deku has helped him change for the better. If Deku wins, well, he's overcome one of his rivals, shown off his potential, and the tournament arc continues to be part of his path to succeeding All-Might. So either way, there's a point.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Mr. Fowl posted:

I too thought this was the absolute best. Deku's mom is best mom.

Hell of a chapter though. No way Deku doesn't win it, but the way he does it is going to be amazing to see considering how utterly hosed up his arms are. I think he's only ever used his arms in front of his classmates, so him surprising Todoroki with a kick clear out of the arena would make a pretty sweet two page spread for me.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Astro Nut posted:

I think what helps in this regard is that it's now been established how victory for either side could potentially indicate some character growth, and be a good thing. Ie, if Todoroki uses his fire powers, embracing them and his full potential whilst still giving the middle finger to his father, then his fight with Deku has helped him change for the better. If Deku wins, well, he's overcome one of his rivals, shown off his potential, and the tournament arc continues to be part of his path to succeeding All-Might. So either way, there's a point.

See, I don't think that's true. If Todoroki wins, then what we end up with is Deku, our main character sitting on the sidelines for the next dozen or so chapters as other people take center stage in events, which you don't want to do without reason for a start. The upshot would be that Todoroki would start using his fire half, but he'll need to come to terms with having had to use it to win, which goes against his entire mindset and so will cause him some inner conflict which is better resolved outside of a fight then in one, where the majority of focus on him would be if he won. On the other hand, Deku, who is going in to this tournament with all the right qualities the manga is pushing for a hero to have as well as a good deal of training and hard work behind would lose and..what? Either he'd just go "Welp, gotta work harder", which is a fairly superficial and lovely lesson given what he's already doing or he'd angst out over his loss, which is even worse given that he's not doing anything wrong.

If Deku wins though, he's rewarded for having the right mindset and Todoroki has to question his mindset and decide to grow up, rather than be forced to in a reactionary manner where he may just berate himself for having had to and double down on his ice side in response. Him having to consciously recognize that his decision is childish is a better way to go about things, and also how the manga has already gone about it with Bakugou.

And frankly, if Deku is going to lose to anyone I'd prefer it be Bakugou, who has already lost to him once in the past, since it means that Bakugou remains more relevant but also shows some personal growth on his part. Deku losing to Todoroki would basically be the mangaka having him lose for the sake of losing and putting in an unexpected twist with no real motive behind it and is, to me at least, him losing in the absolute worst way he could lose in the tournament because he's losing to someone who doesn't deserve to win. What's more, Todoroki has no real stakes in any of the fights he'd end up in with Iida and Bakugou. There's really nothing I can see the manga gaining by having Deku lose here, where there's a lot to gain by having him continue to win, if nothing else because his attitude towards his competitors is so fun to watch.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

If Deku loses then Todoroki vs. (probably) Iida would more likely be about personal growth for Iida and holy christ you guys are way too invested in this silly argument. Deku winning would be a cliche, and so would Deku losing. Either way it'll be fun so just strap in for the ride.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chumbler posted:

If Deku loses then Todoroki vs. (probably) Iida would more likely be about personal growth for Iida and holy christ you guys are way too invested in this silly argument. Deku winning would be a cliche, and so would Deku losing. Either way it'll be fun so just strap in for the ride.

Iida can have that personal growth against Deku as easily as Todoroki though, which was kind of part of my point.

Also, how dare we discuss one of the more interesting and currently relevant things in this thread for discussion on the story? What else is there to discuss at the moment?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
This level of investment and analysis proves Hero Academia is a Good Manga.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The art is really good in the manga. Like, really good.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Terper posted:

Deku's hosed up hand was kinda gross, but yeah.

Also yeah; the fact that we can't really just say, "what is the most cliched thing that can happen?" and know 100% that's what'll happen is one of the reasons this manga owns.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
I hope Deku beats Todoroki, (barely) beats Iida, and is so worn out that he has to forfeit the tournament. Bakugou never gets to face him, explodes. He accepts his victory with a full chapter of non-stop profanity.

Avulsion fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 13, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Fabricated posted:

Deku's hosed up hand was kinda gross, but yeah.
I like that it's gross. Really gives you a sense of what he's sacrificing to make his point. Even if he slams on the heal button later, right now must really suck.

Too many series with healing/regeneration in play tend to ignore the painful repercussions of needing to heal/regenerate in the first place.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Bad Seafood posted:

I like that it's gross. Really gives you a sense of what he's sacrificing to make his point. Even if he slams on the heal button later, right now must really suck.

Too many series with healing/regeneration in play tend to ignore the painful repercussions of needing to heal/regenerate in the first place.

And then every once in awhile you get something like Tokyo Ghoul.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

Terper posted:

If you haven't read the unfortunately cancelled Oumagadoki Zoo, I would highly recommend it.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Spoilers are out.

Like again, the black bars. Don't wanna hear any poo poo if you look. (it's nothing overly descriptive anyway)

No, fight doesn't end in this chapter. Yeah, I stand by my suggestion that Midoriya is going to lose or be forced to bow out of the tournament due to injury. He is beyond loving himself up now. When it comes out, pay attention to when he realizes he can't move his hand and how he deals with it. :stare:

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 17, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Revving up for the mountains of text as we speak.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
new chapter's out in english: http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Boku-no-Hero-Academia/Ch-039--Todoroki-Shouto--The-Origin?id=226977

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Well that got over and done with fairly quickly. Good job, Deku, you're a good main character.