Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Accretionist posted:

I wish cops would stop breaking the law. :smith:

Don't be stupid, laws don't apply to cops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Amos Moses posted:

People keep saying that police need to stop shooting people.

Should be more people saying "Don't loving run from the cops" and "stop breaking the law"
Violent crime rates (and crime rates generally) have been dropping for nearly 25 years now, so yes, people are breaking the law in fewer numbers than ever before.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Violent crime rates (and crime rates generally) have been dropping for nearly 25 years now, so yes, people are breaking the law in fewer numbers than ever before.

Obviously that means that cops need to be even more violent and aggressive to make the crime rate continue falling! :v:

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Seems to be working!

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Two people shot and killed, 2 year old child hit by car and killed as well. This just popped, very few details available.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

I looked at some of the sample questions on the Florida one. It's literally testing on middle school knowledge. It asked how to spell "phenomenal" and how to add fractions.

Like most civil service exams then.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Not sure how this relates? The cops didn't kill them.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Dead Reckoning posted:

Like most civil service exams then.

Do they also involve the carrying of lethal firearms day to day?

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

nm posted:

Not sure how this relates? The cops didn't kill them.
I apologize - I literally convinced myself it was a police shooting. Time to go to bed.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Agrajag posted:

Do they also involve the carrying of lethal firearms day to day?
The point of the exam is to assess whether a candidate has the basic skills required to be trained.

They are all basically: "Did you pay attention in high school? Y/N"

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Apr 13, 2015

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Rent-A-Cop posted:

The point of the exam is to assess whether a candidate has the basic skills required to be trained.

They are all basically: "Did you pay attention in high school? Y/N"

Perhaps a more rigorous selection process is needed for an occupation involving the carrying and operating of lethal firearms. Beyond the basic of are you retarded or not.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Agrajag posted:

Perhaps a more rigorous selection process is needed for an occupation involving the carrying and operating of lethal firearms. Beyond the basic of are you retarded or not.

That's what the interviews, Academy, background checks, and polygraph are supposed to be for. They don't hand you a Glock and a shield on your way out the door if your civil service score cracked the 85th percentile.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Dead Reckoning posted:

That's what the interviews, Academy, background checks, and polygraph are supposed to be for. They don't hand you a Glock and a shield on your way out the door if your civil service score cracked the 85th percentile.

Yeah clearly those are all a joke and useless as all gently caress. Oh, and don't forget that some random old fucker with money can buy his way into playing cops and robbers.

What I'm trying to say is that the police in your country are a loving danger to the public. Especially if you are not white.

A Lamer
Jul 2, 2006

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

I apologize - I literally convinced myself it was a police shooting. Time to go to bed.

To be fair nowhere in there does it say it wasn't the police, besides the line about there being no suspects, but it's become pretty evident that the police don't view themselves as suspects when they kill people.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Agrajag posted:

What I'm trying to say is that the police in your country are a loving danger to the public. Especially if you are not white.
Yeah and nobody is arguing with you. Just confused as to how throwing some differential calculus on the POST exam would help.

In case you're confused, it's the entrance exam. All it is designed to determine is whether you have the intellectual capacity and academic background necessary to understand the training you'll get later. It's that training that should obviously be more comprehensive, more ongoing, and with a better focus on things like de-escalation.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Agrajag posted:

Yeah clearly those are all a joke and useless as all gently caress. Oh, and don't forget that some random old fucker with money can buy his way into playing cops and robbers.

Not really sure why you're singling out the civil service exam as the one part of the screening process that needs to be beefed up then. I don't think making sure every deputy has a 1600 (:corsair:) on the SAT would improve law enforcement in this country, or be at all practical for that matter. It's not like you can judge someone's maturity or cool under pressure with a bubble sheet.

code:
Complete the sentence:
"It's OK to shoot fleeing suspects, as long as they are _______________"
A) Black
B) Hispanic
C) White
D) Posing a significant threat of death or serious bodily harm to others

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Apr 13, 2015

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Dead Reckoning posted:

I don't think making sure every deputy has a 1600 (:corsair:) on the SAT would improve law enforcement in this country
Pretty sure it would at least improve it.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/court-oks-barring-high-iqs-cops/story?id=95836
http://www.aele.org/apa/jordan-newlondon.html

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
"Yes, if only more people who are good at ScanTron tests were walking around with guns. Clearly they are the better sort of person we want cleaning up our streets."

:lol: Do you really think that the problem with policing is that too many smart people are being turned away? The reason the department instituted the upper limit was because they didn't want their patrol officers to have the same turnover rate as McDonalds cashiers. Except for those exposed to it through family connections, local law enforcement isn't most people's first career choice.

Let's also remember that setting a high bar based on standardized testing is likely to further exclude minorities from the police force, not only due to the systemic limitation of their educational opportunities compared to white students, but also because a minority student who can run the board on the SATs is probably deciding which Ivy League admissions letter to accept rather than deciding if he wants to spend his Saturday nights getting spat on by drunk prisoners for less than median wage.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Dead Reckoning posted:

"Yes, if only more people who are good at ScanTron tests were walking around with guns.
Yes that is exactly what people think.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Clearly they are the better sort of person we want cleaning up our streets."
We sure are better off with fat, scared people with poor critical thinking skills! America is full of win! :patriot:

Dead Reckoning posted:

The reason the department instituted the upper limit was because they didn't want their patrol officers to have the same turnover rate as McDonalds cashiers..
I have read the same thing several times over several years. Unlike you I dont believe it.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

FRINGE posted:

Yes that is exactly what people think.
The SAT/civil service exam doesn't test much else.

FRINGE posted:

I have read the same thing several times over several years. Unlike you I dont believe it.
You don't believe that the most qualified officers are likely to jump ship to better paying, more prestigious gigs with State and Federal agencies if given the opportunity?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Dead Reckoning posted:

You don't believe that the most qualified officers are likely to jump ship to better paying, more prestigious gigs with State and Federal agencies if given the opportunity?
Many adults (especially with families) are not extremely willing to relocate unless they are under duress. I am sure the pressure to leave would be greater in the cow tipping areas that are paying 12-15/hr for full time LEOs, but not so much in areas that are paying 50-70k/yr+. That is a problem with the payscales - not a reason to purposefully exclude intelligent people from the loving career.

The reason they are excluded is more likely: "do as youre told, keep your mouth shut, dont ask questions". All of which are contraindicated by predilections towards increased critical thinking.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
I…I got all worked up on youtube videos and touched the poop. Why? For shame!

To some complete idiot stranger, Ray Smuckles made and rear end of himself when he posted:

In response this gem, of all gems:
clackdwack
1 month ago
Cops doing their jobs, stupid people who resist should get bashed, do the crime do the time, to all u scum bags out there who are low life's, jail or get shot 👍👍

+clackdwack
1) Cops doing their jobs.
I completely agree that this is what regular police behavior is like. This is the level of violence police are trained to use to force compliance from a resisting suspect. Look at the officer doing the punching. These do not seem to be the products of an emotional outburst indicating some sort of lack of control in the officer; but, rather the cold, mechanical punches of learned training. Notice how the officer quickly loses enthusiasm as he notices the people around him, and their abject disapproval. Yet, he still punches; softer and slower, then sporadically and hidden. You could say the officer failed to perform his duty by giving in to public scrutiny and lessening his restraint of the subject. This incident indicates the divide between pubic perception of police practices and actual police practices.

2) Stupid people who resist should get bashed.
I will be upfront here: there is absolutely a place for forced compliance within certain avenues of police work. However, to me personally, as well as what appear to be numerous other people, including eyewitnesses of the incident, there seems to be an excessive use of force with regards to handling of this incident. I, and all citizens of towns, counties, states, and countries, have a right to express my opinions regarding the actions and functions of public institutions as well as the public servants that work within them. There seems to be a growing consensus that the use of force within law enforcement is becoming oppressive to the citizenry, and while everyone agrees that there is a place for use of force, there is also a place for patience, understanding, and non-violent tactics.

There is also a place in our society for non-violent resistance. Non-violent refusal to comply with a police officer is not an offense immediately deserving of corporal punishment or forced compliance. It may be embarrassing, demeaning, or emasculating, but it is a police officer's job to obey and uphold the law. The judicial system exists to administer punishment; to which, if you would like to make an argument for judicially administered corporal punishment then that is an argument you have to make.

In addition, use of force on mentally ill people, or people who's cognitive faculties are impaired by substance use is often the worst possible course of action, as an irrational mind will not comprehend the situation and immediately rely on more base instincts; typically fight or flight. Officers should be responsible for making peaceful, compliant arrests, which can be achieved, even among highly emotional suspects, given proper training, preparation, and patience

3) Do the crime do the crime
I'll admit, it was the sequence of point 2 and point 3 that inspired me to write this entire tome; so if you stuck with it, here's the point. First you advocate corporal punishment as a means of punishment for the crime of "resisting arrest," but then you admit that there is already a judicial system in place and list the punishment as "do the time," implying that the proper punishment for criminal behavior isincarceration. You are arguing that physical punishment should be included as a means of sentencing for criminals, but not only that, but it should be used on suspected criminals as well so long as they "resist" any violent provocation by law enforcement. The dignity or honor of the individual to submit to the will of the state is not at stake when violence is unexpectedly thrust upon them by officers trained to resort to physical force in order to gain control and compliance. To imply there is some sort of duty for criminals to submit to the will of law enforcement is absurd.

We are all humans, not robots, we respond to stimuli in a multitude of ways, none of which can be considered objectively "correct," and when it comes to resisting violence, pain, and suffering; those are most likely the strongest most base instincts we have as living creatures. To ask people to submit to extreme violence without any attempt to protect themselves is an impossible request. As for the responsibility of criminals who have perpetrated crimes to confess and submit to judicial punishment, I admit it is a noble, inspiring idea. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. It must be acknowledged that a) people naturally try to get out of trouble, b) this must be accounted for when creating a law enforcement system, and c) we, as a population, do not want a world where all crimes go 100% punished, since we realize as a civilized society, that almost all actions are circumstantial, and while we must apply the same standards to everyone once they've stepped foot in the courtroom, it would be detrimental to hold the world's population to the strict, often contradictory standards of flawed human lawmakers. There is an invisible, narrow line that separates policing from oppressing, and while challenging, it the role of our public servants to address these issues; as well as, the responsibility of the citizenry to hold pubic officials accountable for their actions.

In addition, incarceration is a vastly superior system of punishment in comparison to corporal, as it non-violently punishes the offender, protects the public from potentially violent individuals, and provides and opportunity for rehabilitation, an important step in reducing recidivism, producing better citizens, and helping the offender address personal issues. So we're in agreement. Do the crime, do the time.

4) To all you scumbags out there who are low life's, jail or get shot(thumbs up thumbs up).
Based upon my brief encounter with you, thirty-two words, two thumbs up emoticons, and some name that hints at an attempt at humor, I think you are a scumbag and a low life; and while I don't necessarily advocate the same recourse you do, I do have opinions on what should be done with someone like you. How can you and I, as a functioning society, reconcile our differences, and work together to improve not only our own lots, but also each others? How do we find a common ground where we can coexist, not as isolated and semi-tolerant; but rather, as a collaborative, interwoven society? Now how do we do that multiplied by one hundred? Multiplied by a million? Surprise, we're not even at the population of the United States yet.

This is a complicated subject, with no easy answers. One of the few things consistent among all people is the golden rule: treat others as you would like to be treated. This means, that as a citizen it is your duty to empathetic with your fellow citizens and try to imagine yourself in their shoes during an encounter with law enforcement. Did this officer handle this person the way you would like them to handle you? If it were you in some sort of compromising situation, how best do you think the police should handle it? Compassion and empathy are the higher forms of thought. Collaboration, peace, and compassion are the building blocks of society. You can either serve truth and justice, or privilege and power. Courage means doing the right thing, even in the face of the impossible. It is the responsibility of the good to lead by example and suffer the hardships of doing the right thing in order to continue making this world a better place for ourselves and future generations.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Thanks for importing YouTube commentary.

May I suggest you install Herp Derp. It makes life so much more enjoyable.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Apr 13, 2015

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

FRINGE posted:

Many adults (especially with families) are not extremely willing to relocate unless they are under duress. I am sure the pressure to leave would be greater in the cow tipping areas that are paying 12-15/hr for full time LEOs, but not so much in areas that are paying 50-70k/yr+. That is a problem with the payscales - not a reason to purposefully exclude intelligent people from the loving career.
First off, the departments starting officers at 70k a year aren't the ones screening out overqualified candidates. Second, what decade are you posting from? I don't have a single friend my age who hasn't moved for work at least once. Almost everyone I know would be willing to relocate for a 2x salary bump and better advancement prospects. If it's within the same state, even better. This is super common among academics, tech workers, archeologists, resource extraction careers... Plus, the sort of people applying for entry level law enforcement positions are likely to be recent graduates without family ties to hold them in place. Your entire post flies in the face of the labor market as most people experience it since at least 2008.

knife super power
Nov 4, 2010
Sorry, looking through this thread, not sure if this has been posted yet http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2015/04/10/3645844/11-police-punched-unarmed-man-37-times-lay-face-ground/

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

FourLeaf posted:

Something about how they scream at the dead/dying guy to "put their hands behind their back" and cuff them even if they're a corpse really pisses me off.

Maybe because it really emphasizes that the whole "COMPLY, CITIZEN" mentality really is all that matters, even after the person is loving dead. I don't know, it's just enraging to me.

I'm in the same boat as you. Everytime I see that I get pissed as hell. The first thing they should be doing is offering aid. It makes no sense.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Cops are actually good and we like them. There are some structural problems, though. We need to address those structural problems. This isn't just gently caress the police, this is a conversation about how things need to be improved. Can we at least agree on that issue?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Pohl posted:

Cops are actually good and we like them. There are some structural problems, though. We need to address those structural problems. This isn't just gently caress the police, this is a conversation about how things need to be improved. Can we at least agree on that issue?

They are obviously solvable problems as well ( or at least partially). Other developed nations manage to go several years between shooting suspects, and that's including justifiable killings!

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

From a link there, more from St Louis: http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2015/04/10/3643582/worse-ferguson-week-st-louis-countys-egregious-night-courts/

quote:

The municipal court systems in which Bailey was entangled generate a huge amount of revenue by ticketing people just like him: Calverton Park, where nearly one-quarter of the population lives below the poverty line, collects 66 percent of its general revenue from court fines and fees; Vinita Terrace, where close to 20 percent of residents live under the poverty line, brings home close to 60 percent of its revenue in fines and fees; and Normandy, with 35 percent of its residents living in poverty, collects just north of 40 percent of its revenue in fines and fees.
Predatory ticketing practices in some of the county’s majority-poor, black neighborhoods range from the egregious to the Dickensian. Thomas Harvey, one of the co-founders of ArchCity Defenders, a St. Louis nonprofit law firm that represents indigent and low-income clients, described a case that has yet to be verified by court and police records, with a client who says she called police to report domestic abuse against her boyfriend and child’s father. When the police arrived at her apartment, she says they ran her license and discovered that she had warrants on unpaid traffic tickets. Instead of arresting her abuser, the woman claims the police arrested her and left her two-year-old child at home, alone, with her boyfriend.
“So why would that woman ever call the police?” Harvey wondered. “If you can’t even call the police when you’re reporting domestic violence because of fear that you’re going to be arrested for a traffic ticket, why would you ever call?”
Edmundson, where nearly one-fifth of the population lives below the poverty level, collects almost 35 percent of its general revenue from court fines and fees. Ticketing was such an important part of the town’s income that the mayor distributed a friendly note in some police officers’ paychecks, reminding them: “The tickets that you write do add to the revenue on which the P.D. budget is established and will directly affect pay adjustments at budget time.”.

:stonk:

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Not even pretending that they're not just the biggest gang in town

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Agrajag posted:

While a more rigorous selection process might yield better officers it will also yield fewer officers. You have politicians (like Bill Clinton back in the day) saying things like: "I'm putting 100,000 new police officers on American streets!" and you've got to have a way to get those officers.

Stricter selection, higher pay, and better training would result in better police forces, but nobody wants to pay for all that and have fewer officers.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm willing to have fewer officers if it means they spend less time writing bullshit tickets and murdering people.

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/13/u...v=top-news&_r=0

The whitewash begins...

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

That article reads like he was some famous author who just died after a long struggle with cancer. I like the little side note with a few factoids about the victim, lest we forget he exists.

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

Killstick posted:

That article reads like he was some famous author who just died after a long struggle with cancer. I like the little side note with a few factoids about the victim, lest we forget he exists.

It's performance art, really.

Not the article, the wonderful asides from his intimate family members, it's... Its... Perfect?

Spacman fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 13, 2015

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Pohl posted:

I agree with you, but I think a lot of posters in this thread can't even describe what realistic vision of "good" policing in America would look like, (aside from "fewer dead minorities" and "more like Europe"), what causes the systemic problems we have, or how we should go about fixing them.

Witness the argument I just had about the civil service exam. Aside from the highly questionable assumption that people with higher SAT scores are better, more mature, and smarter than those with lower scores, no one thought about or bothered to address the fact that relying on high standardized test scores is likely to further exclude minority applicants. It's outrage without being able to actually articulate the problem or propose reasonable alternatives.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Dead Reckoning posted:

Except for those exposed to it through family connections, local law enforcement isn't most [cop's] first career choice.

[citation needed]

quote:

...less than median wage.

Bullshit, let me know if you want to see the data. Of course, the fact that most of these officers have fully-paid healthcare and defined **BENEFIT** pensions factors into that, as well. The fact remains that most police officers are paid above the median wages of their communities, sometimes significantly more (see southern California departments that hand out OT like candy).

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

Dead Reckoning posted:

I agree with you, but I think a lot of posters in this thread can't even describe what realistic vision of "good" policing in America would look like, (aside from "fewer dead minorities" and "more like Europe"), what causes the systemic problems we have, or how we should go about fixing them.

Witness the argument I just had about the civil service exam. Aside from the highly questionable assumption that people with higher SAT scores are better, more mature, and smarter than those with lower scores, no one thought about or bothered to address the fact that relying on high standardized test scores is likely to further exclude minority applicants. It's outrage without being able to actually articulate the problem or propose reasonable alternatives.

Mate, I'm not From the U.S. So not from your particular police state hell hole and I can describe a realistic vision of "good" policing in America in seven words.

Police not shooting people in the back.

Sorry you are loving stupid.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Radbot posted:

Bullshit, let me know if you want to see the data. Of course, the fact that most of these officers have fully-paid healthcare and defined **BENEFIT** pensions factors into that, as well. The fact remains that most police officers are paid above the median wages of their communities, sometimes significantly more (see southern California departments that hand out OT like candy).
I'd love to see the data on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Actually punishing officers who violate policies and procedures instead of covering up for them? Harshly punishing officers who fire on unarmed people, especially fleeing ones? Encouraging non-violent conflict resolution and training for it as a priority? Hiring officers from within the community and with a racial and gender makeup similar to the community so they feel a connection to the people they serve (and emphasizing that they serve and protect the civilians)? Requiring stricter training standards for firearms (including actually spending the money on the ammo needed for them to practice instead of forcing the officers to spend hundreds of their own dollars on learning to use their weapon safely) and not issuing them to officers who can't pass the test while forcing them by policy to carry less-lethal weapons at all times so they don't have an excuse to resort to a gun for any mildly risky situation? Eliminating the NYPD's stupid 12-pound trigger pulls that try to make up for barely trained officers' unsafe handling practices while making it nearly impossible for the users to shoot the desired target without spraying bullets all over a crowded urban area? Disallowing the use of less-lethal weapons like Tasers and pepper spray on suspects or civilians who aren't violently struggling so they don't keep hurting people whose only crime is being lippy and not moving? Eliminating civil asset forfeiture and preventing the spoils of criminal asset forfeiture from being used for the department's benefit to eliminate incentives to falsify arrest and seizure for bonus shiny stuff? Making any recorded racist or otherwise bigoted claims grounds for immediate dismissal? Enforcing stricter standards on shoot/don't shoot judgement calls to minimize body count?

Like, the actual methods for good policing and things that need to be solved are really loving easy to figure out; if they weren't, most other first world countries would look like the racist bloodbath in the United States. The difficulties in fixing the American policing system have less to do with figuring out "what good police work looks like" and more to do with actually getting the people in charge willing to put forth changes, especially when they have political, monetary, or power-related incentives to keep things the way they are.

• Locked thread