Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

BloatedCorpse posted:

This probably was just bad communication - there's plenty of abdominal conditions which call for going nil-by-mouth as treatment. Intravenous fluids and glucose are given in this time. You don't lose 4kg going NBM for 4 days - she lost the weight because she was sick. Unfortunately the article doesn't say what was wrong with her because of confidentiality.

'Bad communication' is still neglect, and, besides, i do not believe that it's a simple case of some demented old biddy forgetting that she's dying. If that woman was forty years younger people would be freaking out because you wouldn't be able to easily assume she was some demented old biddy who simply forgot why she was in hospital. A person in their forties reporting that treatment would be a massive story, even if their condition was terminal and maybe included some kind of disorientation. The assumption that elderly people and people with disabilities are so cognitively disabled that they can't reliably report abuse is one of the most revolting things about our culture, and that is what this response depends upon. At the same time we have a senate inquiry about rampant abuse of people with disabilities by the very people who are paid to ensure their safety and dignity.

The hospital and WA health are hoping that no one gives a poo poo because the stupid old bitch is probably demented and doesn't remember how well she was treated, it's all a misunderstanding. Everyone knows that vulnerable people are never neglected or abused.

Fruity Gordo fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Graic Gabtar posted:

I had the TV on, but I wasn't sitting there watching it but I'm very certain this is how it went. My previous post wasn't that clear.

Under the current system you can choose not to immunize a child and still get benefits based on three grounds - Religious, health or conscientious objection.

The last category makes up over 98% of the number (around 40K) and will be removed in 2016.

e: And if you object on religious grounds it has to be one recognised as the Government as opposed to immunization.

Nah, I heard it wrong. Just jumped on iview.

It's 1.77% of all children.

The 40k number is correct though and under the new rules it would be barely over a thousand.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Graic Gabtar posted:

Nah, I heard it wrong. Just jumped on iview.

It's 1.77% of all children.

The 40k number is correct though and under the new rules it would be barely over a thousand.

Depends. My wife has a CO at work and they don't send kids to childcare and are above the FTB threshold for A, so she is just gonna gripe and still not do it because she's not losing out.

The only way to catch everyone would be to remove the subsidised places at kindergarten as well, but I think that's state, not federal funding.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Matthew Beet posted:

Depends. My wife has a CO at work and they don't send kids to childcare and are above the FTB threshold for A, so she is just gonna gripe and still not do it because she's not losing out.

The only way to catch everyone would be to remove the subsidised places at kindergarten as well, but I think that's state, not federal funding.

Yes, there are going to be people who it won't impact. Earlier I suggested they should get slammed with a higher Medicare levy.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Graic Gabtar posted:

Yes, there are going to be people who it won't impact. Earlier I suggested they should get slammed with a higher Medicare levy.

Yeah i like the Medicare levy idea. They should decouple it from education completely. The children of these people need more education options, not less.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fruity Gordo posted:

$250 is cheap as gently caress, which is why I called them grifters. She has to pay board bc she's not a dependent and is living in a publicly owned official residence, and that is a pathetically piddly amount of board.

is that per month? because a lusty rofl at that one

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Graic Gabtar posted:

i think we should murder everyone in australia and then sink this drat island, as i like to call it, 'oval office'inent, the worst in the universe

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Orkin Mang posted:

i think we should murder everyone in australia and then sink this drat island, as i like to call it, 'oval office'inent, the worst in the universe
OK then.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Matthew Beet posted:

Yeah i like the Medicare levy idea. They should decouple it from education completely. The children of these people need more education options, not less.

I'm supportive of both at the moment just to get the course correction, though I take your point.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
In the latest Ipsos poll NSW is reported as 52 - 48 2pp in favour of LNP. I thought it could be factoring in an imminent Turnbulling but no, Abbott is also preferred PM by 5 points. Even WA, 50-50 2pp has Abbott behind.

What the poo poo, NSW?

First state worst state.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Birdstrike posted:

In the latest Ipsos poll NSW is reported as 52 - 48 2pp in favour of LNP. I thought it could be factoring in an imminent Turnbulling but no, Abbott is also preferred PM by 5 points. Even WA, 50-50 2pp has Abbott behind.

What the poo poo, NSW?

First state worst state.

Let me see: Tony Abbott; check, Bronwyn Bishop; check, Joe Hockey; check, Scott Morrison; check. Do I need to go on?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
What the gently caress is the Courier Mail printing these days?

quote:

“IF I was running al-Qa’ida in Iraq, I would put a circle around March 2008 and pray as many times as possible, for a victory not only for Obama, but also for the Democrats.”

These prophetic words were uttered by John Howard less than 24 hours after Barack Obama announced he was running for US president.

Mr Howard was always the master of the understatement, no more so than on this occasion.

It wasn’t just al-Qa’ida but rather, practically every sinister outfit on the planet that must have popped the bubbly the day Obama was swept to power in a deluge of western naivety and moronic enthusiasm (“Wow! Obama uses Twitter! How cool is that! Let’s vote for him!”)

James Bond films used to have that classic scene where all the bad guys got together to plot the world’s destruction – there’d be a North Korean, a Chinese dictator, KGB guys, dodgy South American despots and a decent smattering of evil-looking turbaned sheiks in dark sunglasses. Yet even Ian Fleming couldn’t have imagined just how prescient was his portrayal of those who must have celebrated the day Obama became president.

Obama has left a trail of destruction around the world. Draw a line under Mr Howard’s March 2008 red-letter day (when Obama was nominated) and compare the world pre-Obama to the world since he took power a year later. Back in 2008, Iran was run by a group of mad mullahs who vowed to wipe Israel off the map in the most genocidal holocaust of all time, in the belief that a 12th century Imam who lives in the bottom of a well somewhere in the desert would lead them all through the holy flames to paradise (or some such tosh).

In order to prevent these lunatics from ever gaining nuclear weapons, the West put in place sanctions and vowed, if necessary, to bomb any nuclear weapons facilities.

Then along came Obama. Now, not only do the Iranians no longer have to worry about those pesky sanctions but, how good is this, they get to keep all their centrifuges to build a nuclear energy program that can churn out a vast nuclear arsenal at the flick of a switch.

Oh, and Iran is still run by the same mad mullahs still waiting for the dude in the bottom of the well and they’re still absolutely determined to wipe Israel (and America if possible) off the map. Nice work, Barack. You really showed ’em. Reagan, Kennedy and Nixon must be spinning in their graves.

Next, Russia. Before Obama, ex-KGB dictator Vladimir Putin was kept in check by the West and did his best to behave as if he believed a form of Russian democracy was evolving.

Under Obama’s watch, Russia felt so immune to US actions that it invaded Crimea and launched a bloody civil war in the Ukraine.

Don’t forget, in his second election campaign in 2012, not only did Obama claim Russia was no longer a threat, he openly ridiculed his opponent Mitt Romney for “living in the 80s” for daring to say so.

But wait, there’s more.

Pre-Obama, China had accepted its future lay in concentrating on building economic strength. Now, again sniffing Obama’s weakness, China has dramatically ramped up military posturing throughout our region.

But it’s in the Middle East where we see Obama’s cowardly chooks have really come home to roost and al-Qa’ida, rather than having been defeated, has now spawned a grisly bunch of murderous offspring, from the schoolgirl kidnappers of Boko Harem to the beheading psychopaths of ISIS. Obama drew a “red line” that Syrian butcher Assad was not allowed to cross – using chemical weapons – or the US would take action. So Assad used chemical weapons and … Obama backed down.

Thanks to his fantasies that he is a “man of peace” (remember that ridiculous Nobel prize he was given back in 2009) Obama pulled our troops out of Iraq and Afghanistan, despite all the military advice it was too soon.

That retreat opened the gates of hell and the evil of ISIS. Libya? Disaster. Yemen? Catastrophe. Somalia? Hellhole. The list goes on.

The one bright note is Egypt. General Al-Sisi ignored Obama whimperings, grabbed power, kicked out the Muslim brotherhood and has told Islam to pull its head in.

Finally, there is Israel. The only democracy and only true, loyal friend the West has in the cesspit of the Middle East.

So what does Obama do? He turns his back on them and flirts with Palestinian terrorists instead.

But hey – it isn’t as if the man responsible for western security hasn’t had far more pressing matters to deal with, such as making fatuous speeches to Queensland uni students about climate change.

Oh...

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Looks like a copy/paste from Fox News or something.
I like how they didn't bother to even mention Bin Laden once.

CATTASTIC fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Apr 13, 2015

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Editor of the Spectator.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Incidentally, if anyone needs access to an HTTPS Usenet indexer for the purposes of downloading linux isos and public domain ebooks you can PM me.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Looks like all that brown nosing of the mining industry is paying off for Sloppy Joe and the LNP. Not.

quote:

BHP Billiton and Rio Tinto would make just $US1 on every tonne of iron ore sold if prices fall to $US35 a tonne, a level Treasurer Joe Hockey says the government is "contemplating".

UBS analysts estimate all Australian iron ore miners other than the majors would be underwater at a price of $US35 a tonne. BHP Billiton and Rio Tinto would be cash breakeven at $US34 a tonne.

The iron ore price has been on a spectacular downward spiral for the last 12 months, plummetting 1.7 per cent to $US47.53 a tonne on Friday.

Even at this price, most miners are making a loss. UBS says Fortescue Metals Group, BC Iron, Mount Gibson Iron and Grange Resources would all be failing to breakeven at current prices while Arrium and Gina Rinehart's Roy Hill can make a minor margin at prices below $US50 a tonne. Their cash breakeven prices are thought to be $US46 and $US43 a tonne respectively.

"There seems to be no floor. We are contemplating as low as $US35 a tonne," Mr Hockey said in an interview with The Australian Financial Review.

Citi analysts downgraded the bank's iron ore price forecasts on Monday to an average of $US37 a tonne for the remainder of the year. The price average will tick up to just $US40 a tonne in 2016 and remain there until the end of 2018, Citi said, in a sharp downgrade from previous forecasts of $US58, $US62 and $US73 in 2015, 2016 and 2017 respectively.

The analysts said BHP and Rio would still generate cash at its revised forecast prices, "it does not mean that they come away from the battle unscathed".

Both stocks were downgraded to "neutral" from "buy'.

BHP Billiton and Rio Tinto have been heavily criticised for expanding production and pushing tonnes into an oversupplied market.

The miners have defended their strategies as in the best interests of their shareholders but other industry players,including many of the junior producers and West Australian Premier Colin Barnett, have attacked the miners for pushing marginal producers out of the market. Fortescue's Andrew Forrest said the majors' expansion plans are incinerating "tens of billions of dollars worth of value".

Mr Hockey questioned the two big miners' strategies to drive out domestic and international rivals, including Chinese ore producers.

"I'm reluctant to tell people how to run their companies. Not that it stops them from telling us how to run the country," he said.

"But ... they've got a fiduciary obligation to act in the best interests of their companies and their shareholders and they're doing that."

Chinese iron ore producers have not scaled back production as anticipated, slowing an expected price recovery. Mr Hockey said it was up to the companies' respective chief executives to explain why.

"I find it very difficult to step into the heads of chief executives because a number of them are quite short-term in their thinking," he said. "That's why it's important to have longevity on a board."

Credit Suisse analysts wrote in a note on Thursday that "high cost production must be forced out" of the market to allow the price to recover. The investment bank expects prices to average $US45 a tonne in the second half of 2015 and the first two quarters of 2016.

Two thousand and fifteen "is not hard to balance as China domestic tonnes and small, marginal producers from 'other' unimportant iron ore provinces are falling away," the analysts said, adding that "2016 and 2017 look more difficult to balance as the four major miners expand output by 50Mt each year, but the most marginal tonnes will have exited the previous year."

The analysts said candidates for closure from 2016 include the remaining smaller iron ore producers in Australia. Junior Pilbara producer Atlas Iron announced on Friday that it would suspend production at its three mines during April before ceasing exports. It was producing at a rate of about 13 million tonnes a year.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

"I find it very difficult to step into the heads of chief executives because a number of them are quite short-term in their thinking," he said.
Jesus Christ.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Yeah, if anything this is a good example of long term thinking. Drive the price down and sacrifice short term profits to gently caress your competition in the long term and create a duopoly controlling most of the world's supply. I reckon the shareholders would be pretty happy with the way everything is heading.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

open24hours posted:

Jesus Christ.

But but but

quote:

"But ... they've got a fiduciary obligation to act in the best interests of their companies and their shareholders and they're doing that."

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

People are shorting Fortescue like crazy in the hope that Twiggy will have to sell to make his margin calls. Let's wait and see what happens.

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 13, 2015

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
Rio Tinto is life, Rio Tinto is God.

I for one welcome our new ore eating overlords. That'll show us all for letting them run roughshod over our nation and not thinking of the future ourselves ala Mr Barnett.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

quote:

Mr Hockey questioned the two big miners' strategies to drive out domestic and international rivals, including Chinese ore producers.

"I'm reluctant to tell people how to run their companies. Not that it stops them from telling us how to run the country," he said.

So close to realising that maybe an unrestrained market with companies having that much power isn't always a good thing.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The Market can not fail, only be failed.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Oh yeah, forgot to mention - I'll send out keys to the indexer when I get home from work, so don't expect a reply in the next few hours :v:

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?
what's the retention period?

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

It's still backfilling (certain groups take forever), but at the moment it's between 900-1400 days. You can see the specifics at https://murodese.org.

e; oh yeah, except a.b.multimedia, gently caress that group

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
i've been fiddling around with my own one, with 7 days' retention, but don't have enough quota to do anything useful.

Are you hosting at home?

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Mr Chips posted:

i've been fiddling around with my own one, with 7 days' retention, but don't have enough quota to do anything useful.

Are you hosting at home?

Yeah, a vps of that power would cost an assload.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Can we take the piracy chat out of the ASIO monitored political group plz I like Usenet and dont want it to go away.

lightinwater
Jan 1, 2014

Murodese posted:

Incidentally, if anyone needs access to an HTTPS Usenet indexer for the purposes of downloading linux isos and public domain ebooks you can PM me.

I'd like to know why Usenet is the go to option rather than seedboxes or VPNs which you can also use to get around some geo-restrictions

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Laserface posted:

Can we take the piracy chat out of the ASIO monitored political group plz I like Usenet and dont want it to go away.

God drat it dude, the first rule of Usenet is don't say the p word.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

lightinwater posted:

I'd like to know why Usenet is the go to option rather than seedboxes or VPNs which you can also use to get around some geo-restrictions

Because some of us are old.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

How about those politics? That Joe Hockey is a cad. What a cad.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Laserface posted:

ASIO knows about usenet. Usenet is not protected by obscurity, a few usenet hosts have already had the rear end sued out of them.

Besides, we're using usenet to download linux isos, don't know where you got this piracy idea from.

lightinwater posted:

Dunno either, VPN services seem cheaper too. I guess if there's a big drop in people using torrents the amount of content available and the download speeds will both be affected, but I don't think that's likely to be a major problem.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

MiniSune posted:

Because some of us are old.

its infinitely better.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

lightinwater posted:

Cost of hosting @ home is lower than having a VM, esp if you have a healthy download quote. You can combine with VPN if you like.

ASIO won't give a poo poo about it, AFP *might* but if you're not uploading then you'll be so towards the bottom of the list of targets. AFP still bust people burning DVDs and selling them at markets.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

The ASIO peeps should come play some Mafia instead, just don't spy on anyone's PMs or that'll spoil all the fun:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3712993

BloatedCorpse
May 11, 2005
Downstairs

Fruity Gordo posted:

'Bad communication' is still neglect, and, besides, i do not believe that it's a simple case of some demented old biddy forgetting that she's dying. If that woman was forty years younger people would be freaking out because you wouldn't be able to easily assume she was some demented old biddy who simply forgot why she was in hospital. A person in their forties reporting that treatment would be a massive story, even if their condition was terminal and maybe included some kind of disorientation. The assumption that elderly people and people with disabilities are so cognitively disabled that they can't reliably report abuse is one of the most revolting things about our culture, and that is what this response depends upon. At the same time we have a senate inquiry about rampant abuse of people with disabilities by the very people who are paid to ensure their safety and dignity.

The hospital and WA health are hoping that no one gives a poo poo because the stupid old bitch is probably demented and doesn't remember how well she was treated, it's all a misunderstanding. Everyone knows that vulnerable people are never neglected or abused.

I'm still pretty sure it was a misunderstanding. It's very unlikely she was "starved" by accident. If you're nil by mouth for a procedure and the procedure gets delayed to the next day then standard practice is to give you lunch and dinner and then fast you from midnight. There are so many checks in place in hospitals (even poorly resourced ones) to make sure people don't starve - the treating specialist's team sees you in the morning ward round to establish the plan for the day. The team's intern or resident is around on the wards to implement the nitty-gritty of the plan and deal with issues that arise (such as complaints of being starved). There are nurses who check on you very regularly to monitor your vital signs and complaints, advocate for you and contact the team if concerned. There are physiotherapists, dieticians and occupational therapists to keep you in good condition and arrange things to make sure you're ready for discharge when the course of your medical treatment is complete. There are usually 3 other patients in the room who usually will speak up if something is going obviously wrong for you. The food trolley person comes round and checks if you should be eating 3 times a day.

If she was admitted for an ileus (which is very consistent with how her condition was described in the article) or acute pancreatitis (also consistent) then one of the mainstays of treatment is going nil-by-mouth (with intravenous fluids and glucose). Feeding someone in this case can result in complications like a perforated intestine, which would probably lead to death.

They can go ahead and have their inquiry, or she can sue the hospital if she really thinks she was mistreated, but if I had to place a bet on the outcome it would be that the lack of feeding was the right thing to do and that the perception of mistreatment arises out of a lack of insight into her condition - which could be due to delirium, dementia, or poor communication or a combination of all three.

If a family member of yours is hospitalised make sure you keep up to date with what is going on with them - delirium is very common in hospitals so even a young, normally fit person can suffer from disorientation and confusion during their hospital stay, so it's always handy if they have a family member who knows what's going on. Even without delirium your emotional condition can make it hard to understand what you're being told. I've seen plenty of people told they've had a heart attack/stroke/they might have cancer/they need major surgery who then fail to absorb anything they are told over the next 10 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

lightinwater posted:

The two most useful bits of software (Sickbeard and Sonarr) both only? work on usenet. I think there are forks that can handle torrents, but usenet is the go-to. Also yeah, much safer because you're only connecting to unlogged servers over SSL (rather than a torrent swarm) and generally faster, even for older releases.

• Locked thread