Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Dang's list seems really good other than its weakness to BB and Plague. The high non-creature count makes Swiftspear and Become Immense good, while all the tokens mean that Foundry Street and Atarka's Command work too. I also like having just one Lightning Berserker, it seems like a very lame thing to draw in multiples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Dang's list seems really good other than its weakness to BB and Plague. The high non-creature count makes Swiftspear and Become Immense good, while all the tokens mean that Foundry Street and Atarka's Command work too. I also like having just one Lightning Berserker, it seems like a very lame thing to draw in multiples.

My main fear with a deck like that is Bile Blight, and that's part of the reason why I don't really like running both Fodder AND Outburst in the deck. I imagine the deck will become even more popular after this and people will sideboard appropriately.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

hahahaha two Whisperwood Elementals countered by two Scorns, then Icefall Regent -> Killed by Atarka's ETB -> Atarka stolen by Silumgar -> Silumgar killed by second Atarka's ETB -> second Atarka stolen by second Silumgar.

that was the best game ever

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Watching the Shota v Ondrej replay and LSV notes how since it doesn't play early card draw in Divination because it's a sorcery, it can be a slog for the UB deck to make sure 3-land keeps hit all their land drops. I was shocked to check out the decklist and confirm it doesn't play a single Anticipate which would seem exactly what this deck wants.

edit: like, that was the entire reason Anticipate was heralded as one of the most impactful cards from DTK for these UB decks, because it's an instant that plays nice with the draw-go counter/removal plan and helps smooth out their mana early so they can get away with 26 lands. seems weird that Shota and Adrian couldn't (or chose not to) make room for a single copy

MiddleEastBeast fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 12, 2015

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
I've been on a break from Magic but Anticipate reminds me a bit of Ponder in that its a really good card but nonethless saw 0 play in the dominant U/W control decks of Shards-Zendikar standard, basically only showing up in t2 combo decks where the card selection was super important. U/B control has enough redundancy that I can see why decks wouldn't find space for it.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Watching the Shota v Ondrej replay and LSV notes how since it doesn't play early card draw in Divination because it's a sorcery, it can be a slog for the UB deck to make sure 3-land keeps hit all their land drops. I was shocked to check out the decklist and confirm it doesn't play a single Anticipate which would seem exactly what this deck wants.

edit: like, that was the entire reason Anticipate was heralded as one of the most impactful cards from DTK for these UB decks, because it's an instant that plays nice with the draw-go counter/removal plan and helps smooth out their mana early so they can get away with 26 lands. seems weird that Shota and Adrian couldn't (or chose not to) make room for a single copy

I think the fact that its nothing more than card selection for 2 mana means they didn't value it very highly in a field they likely presumed would have a ton of mono-red aggro.

Edit: Dragonlord Atarka at 19 bucks now.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 13, 2015

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Surrak has also given green decks an aggressive edge that makes it harder to just ignore their board for a turn.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
vintage tdome feature match is starting up soon at http://twitch.tv/gangsines

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Equilibrium posted:

I've been on a break from Magic but Anticipate reminds me a bit of Ponder in that its a really good card but nonethless saw 0 play in the dominant U/W control decks of Shards-Zendikar standard, basically only showing up in t2 combo decks where the card selection was super important. U/B control has enough redundancy that I can see why decks wouldn't find space for it.

So why did every pro lie to us during spoiler season and say Anticipate was the most important card from DTK for control decks and that it would slot in immediately as a 4-of? Why did they lie ;_;

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
I went back and watched Dang's annihilation of the tournament and I have to say it was satisfying to see him steamroll three consecutive control decks the way he did.

All three Game 1's were beautiful.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

The token generators really put pressure on you to have your sweepers early and often if you are in UB. it's really hard to keep up with a bunch of largely interchangeable creatures with your spot removal. Maybe good ol' Nyx Fleece Ram makes a come back in the boards of Wx control if that build really takes off. 5 toughness and ticking life gain is a bit of stop sign there. Forces the burn into your dork instead of your face.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Alaan posted:

The token generators really put pressure on you to have your sweepers early and often if you are in UB. it's really hard to keep up with a bunch of largely interchangeable creatures with your spot removal. Maybe good ol' Nyx Fleece Ram makes a come back in the boards of Wx control if that build really takes off. 5 toughness and ticking life gain is a bit of stop sign there. Forces the burn into your dork instead of your face.

While you aren't wrong, my first thought was "Another target for Roast. :devil:"

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think a UB deck will be pretty happy if you're bringing in Roast against them.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I think a UB deck will be pretty happy if you're bringing in Roast against them.

Especially to kill your Nyx Fleece Ram you can't even cast. Value!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Obviously you're splashing white for Narset.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

I was thinking of a more threat-heavy deck; against a Control deck I would just leave in Heelcutter and bring in Break Through the Line and hope to draw them.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I've noticed that one of the stronger lines of play for red decks is to win the roll and be on the play first, so I would try to see about that.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

I've noticed that one of the stronger lines of play for red decks is to win the roll and be on the play first, so I would try to see about that.

Winning on the roll is literally, after all, a time walk.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

rabidsquid posted:

RDW probably relies on that more than any other deck in the format because any deck with black becomes really tough to win on the draw post-sideboard. Blue decks hitting Dissolve mana before you hit Outburst/Rabble mana can also be pretty tough.

I know that all sounds obvious but I guess I was unironically agreeing with you? :shobon:

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
There was a video series someone posted in here a while back that was just someone testing out a bunch of modern ban-list cards and seeing whether they'd be valid unbans. Anyone have a link to that anywhere?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Death Bot posted:

There was a video series someone posted in here a while back that was just someone testing out a bunch of modern ban-list cards and seeing whether they'd be valid unbans. Anyone have a link to that anywhere?

It's Caleb Durward and the video series is somewhere on Channel Fireball. Go forth, goon, with your new found knowledge.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I do find the CFB website kindof awkward to navigate so here's my bookmark.
http://www.channelfireball.com/tag/the-modern-banned-series/

And this one includes the legacy ones, in which Caleb Durward loses to Show and Tell every week.
http://www.channelfireball.com/tag/the-banned-series/

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

My big takeaway from the banned series is that no matter what, Hypergenesis can never, ever come off the banlist.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

My big takeaway from the banned series is that no matter what, Hypergenesis can never, ever come off the banlist.

That, and that Black Vise is utter poo poo lol

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Was that the one where Caleb got bored and started talking about anime

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Yeah, I went into that one with a pretty good idea that the takeaway would be "Hypergenesis is loving stupid", and my expectations were blown away. If they could only have one card in Modern banned, Hypergenesis would probably be it.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
:toot:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

The Lord of Hats posted:

Yeah, I went into that one with a pretty good idea that the takeaway would be "Hypergenesis is loving stupid", and my expectations were blown away. If they could only have one card in Modern banned, Hypergenesis would probably be it.

Skullclamp by a mile, but Hypergenesis probably beats out the cantrips and the rest.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Nice job. Is Skaab Ruinator common tech for Modern 'folk or something you came up with?

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Nice job. Is Skaab Ruinator common tech for Modern 'folk or something you came up with?

Hah, no, Skaabs were the dork I beat in the second round of Top 8's idea. They certainly got work done against the UWR Control matchup, my only 0-2 loss of the tournament that he won. I was the idiot with a 14-card sideboard who stumbled in because I promised to drive a friend there (ironically round 1 was both of us on stream) and never left because the other store in town's draft never fired. 8 rounds later I'm a State Champion :shrug:

e: oh he's also a goon but idk if he reads this thread

Four Score fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Apr 13, 2015

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Duneblast into Ugin #JustPhantomSealedThings

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Can you post your decklist?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

rabidsquid posted:

As a control player, the opening die roll seriously does often decide a match against RDW. I kind of wonder if WotC thinks that's a good thing or if they think that means RDW or control are in a bad place.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Easily the strongest pool for RDW in a long time. Legit decent and not just the best you can do for $100. And while control clearly isn't awful it's not at its highest point and the rest of the format is casting windmill slams which require very different answers.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

What state?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Nice, congratulations! :krakentoot:

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

mcmagic posted:

What state?

Alaska

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

mcmagic posted:

What state?

It says on the medal dude.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

jassi007 posted:

It says on the medal dude.

Oh lol I didn't expand the picture. Congrads Four Score.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

You're not allowed to win this medal except by playing Quinn the Eskimo.

• Locked thread