Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Because cheap poo poo sells and a lot of people need a phone to function in society and can't afford a good one, because that is the nature of unopposed global capitalism.

Also ^ ^ ^ yeah that. It DOES look like whatever metallic coating was on the rim of the phone got deposited on the face of it.

People who can't afford expensive phones buy a loving Galaxy S6. Android thread delivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I get that most people that buy samsungs don't read message boards about cell phones, but there are people in this very thread that have seen the terrible quality samsung repeatedly delivers and still they recommend them and think "this time will be different."

Repeat samsung owners are the bitcoiners of the cell phone world. Repeatedly kicked in the nuts and asking for more.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

RZA Encryption posted:

I get that most people that buy samsungs don't read message boards about cell phones, but there are people in this very thread that have seen the terrible quality samsung repeatedly delivers and still they recommend them and think "this time will be different."

Repeat samsung owners are the bitcoiners of the cell phone world. Repeatedly kicked in the nuts and asking for more.

Quality-wise, the S6 and S6E are definitely different this time.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

comper posted:

Quality-wise, the S6 and S6E are definitely different this time.

Dirk Funk posted:

So, my girlfriend has had her S6 less than 2 days and the metal on the bottom is rubbing off onto the front of the phone and it seems permanent as it won't clean off. This happened when she walked about a mile with the phone in the front of her jeans pocket with nothing else in it. These are normal jeans and not tight or anything like that. It would seem some is off with the metal on this phone and this problem will just get worse over time.

Is this something covered under warranty?

http://i.imgur.com/Nr4RfzH.jpg

Edit: Changed image to a link. It was way too big.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Except for, you know, the spiked metal belt it was rubbing on.

I'm not likely to buy a Samsung phone, but very few phones are going to be unscathed by that.

Dirk Funk
Mar 17, 2009
To be fair, I'm not sure if that smudge is from the metal on the phone or from the metal of the belt or both.

If I can get the smudge off, the damage would be just a small dent on the metal. I would honestly expect any phone with a frame to get worn down if it's being rubbed against a pointed piece of metal over and over like what happened here.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Dirk Funk posted:

So, my girlfriend has had her S6 less than 2 days and the metal on the bottom is rubbing off onto the front of the phone and it seems permanent as it won't clean off. This happened when she walked about a mile with the phone in the front of her jeans pocket with nothing else in it. These are normal jeans and not tight or anything like that. It would seem some is off with the metal on this phone and this problem will just get worse over time.

Is this something covered under warranty?

http://i.imgur.com/Nr4RfzH.jpg

Edit: Changed image to a link. It was way too big.

How much does your girlfriend weigh

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I sent my out of warranty Nexus 5 in with an LG RA thingy but I don't know if they actually fixed it or if they are just sending it straight back. Nothing on their tracking site indicated to me that they looked at it at all. It just said "RA closed - return shipping" which is cool I guess. I've been looking around in case I need to buy a new phone and this One Plus thingy looks good but also weird and maybe unreliable. Never heard of these guys before and I'm hesitant to buy a possibly shoddily made phone after a pretty trash experience with my Nexus dying just out of warranty. What are the other off contract cheap but not poo poo phones out there now that the N5 is gone?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
She's wearing a spiked belt in 2015, we already know she makes bad decisions.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
Recommendations for the thinnest case for the Nexus 6 that still offers at least a little drop protection? I bought my husband a Nexus 6 and he's all ":words: don't want to use a case, it makes the phone too big :words:" but we have a 2 year old who swipes our phones, so he really needs something. If I buy him a case that he deems "too big" he just won't use it.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Mnemosyne posted:

Recommendations for the thinnest case for the Nexus 6 that still offers at least a little drop protection? I bought my husband a Nexus 6 and he's all ":words: don't want to use a case, it makes the phone too big :words:" but we have a 2 year old who swipes our phones, so he really needs something. If I buy him a case that he deems "too big" he just won't use it.

http://www.amazon.com/Diztronic-Matte-Flexible-Motorola-Nexus/dp/B00PYKPX8U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428903701&sr=8-1

e: You might want a glass screen protector too.

Mooktastical fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Apr 13, 2015

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Mnemosyne posted:

I don't think it's so much that people want 24-48 hours of idle time, it's just that they know that if it can last 48 hours on idle, it can probably last through a full 8 hours of me watching videos or playing games when I've been called for jury duty. And still have enough power left that I can get home without it dying. (Living in Baltimore means that you WILL get called for jury duty every 18 months.)

This exactly. I'm pretty hard on my phone. I haven't found a phone yet that will get me through an entire work day.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Yeah I got the blue Diztronic case for my N6 and it doesn't add much bulk at all, still fits in my pockets fine and gives me a slightly better grip.

It didn't solve my issue of accidentally hitting the volume buttons in my pocket though - I was thinking it might have a cutout that leaves them inset like the case I had for my S3 but it's got a raised cover over the buttons instead.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

b0nes posted:

This exactly. I'm pretty hard on my phone. I haven't found a phone yet that will get me through an entire work day.

How do you net 5+ hours of SOT in a single work day?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Stan Taylor posted:

I sent my out of warranty Nexus 5 in with an LG RA thingy but I don't know if they actually fixed it or if they are just sending it straight back. Nothing on their tracking site indicated to me that they looked at it at all. It just said "RA closed - return shipping" which is cool I guess. I've been looking around in case I need to buy a new phone and this One Plus thingy looks good but also weird and maybe unreliable. Never heard of these guys before and I'm hesitant to buy a possibly shoddily made phone after a pretty trash experience with my Nexus dying just out of warranty. What are the other off contract cheap but not poo poo phones out there now that the N5 is gone?

LG does that when they RMA their phones. It'll probably be fixed. Don't buy a One Plus.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
3rd day with the GS6 Edge and it's probably one of my favorite android phones I've ever owned. The Edge poo poo is gimmicky and worthless, but "people edge" is cool to look at anyway. The edges just give the normal screen an interesting and cool look when doing things as simple as viewing a video or something. Worth the extra $100? Probably not, unless you really want the cooler looking phone. Battery so far is about double that of my M7 so I can't complain about anything yet.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Hace posted:

How do you net 5+ hours of SOT in a single work day?

Has an incredibly cush desk job or uses his phone for work I'm guessing

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

nerve posted:

Has an incredibly cush desk job or uses his phone for work I'm guessing

Or neurotic about the time/notifications :f5:

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I don't suppose anyone cares about Bluetooth music streaming but far as I can tell there is only one game in town right now which is the APT-X codec via Bluetooth. Anything AOSP based doesn't have APT-X so that rules out all Nexuses and Cyanogen based stuff leaving HTC and Samsung. :/

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just picked up a Nexus 6 (coming from a 6 Plus).

Might just be because it's brand new but holy poo poo it feels like the fastest phone I've ever used. Lollipop is amazing.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

lelandjs posted:

Might just be because it's brand new but holy poo poo it feels like the fastest phone I've ever used. Lollipop is amazing.

:v: How are you liking Google Now?

I see a lot of Apple converts falling into either incredibly creepy or incredibly helpful, so it should be interesting to see your reaction.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."
I think this is the right thread to ask this question: Will the Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 ever get Android 5.0?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I've had a nexus 6 for a week now and the battery life was terrible. I rooted it this weekend and installed greenify. I'm now hibernating Facebook and fbook messenger and holy poo poo is this an improvement. gently caress Facebook.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

FAUXTON posted:

I see a lot of Apple converts falling into either incredibly creepy or incredibly helpful, so it should be interesting to see your reaction.

Oh I'm not an Apple convert, I flip flop between phone OSes crazy frequently. Overall I think I like Android better but each OS has its own issues and such.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Cultural Imperial posted:

I've had a nexus 6 for a week now and the battery life was terrible. I rooted it this weekend and installed greenify. I'm now hibernating Facebook and fbook messenger and holy poo poo is this an improvement. gently caress Facebook.
You could just remove the app and use the mobile site instead you know.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Did you determine if it was both of those causing the problem? For me, Facebook Messenger was the loving garbage pile destroying my battery, I didn't notice the actual app doing anything. Either way, the mobile site is a better plan.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

This should probably go in the op, hah.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I installed Facebook messenger, and then froze it with titanium backup, and the regular Facebook app went back to having a functional messenger bit built in, and stopped complaining at me about it. Their logic is odd.

Inertia keeps me using the app, I suppose. If my hack breaks, I'll probably be sensible and use the mobile site.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Zom Aur posted:

You could just remove the app and use the mobile site instead you know.

Yep. But I also wanted mobile adblock.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

StickFigs posted:

I think this is the right thread to ask this question: Will the Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 ever get Android 5.0?

Samsung said in the past that it would, but I don't see a release date yet.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

lelandjs posted:

Mine actually sped up with the 5.1 update.

My Apple fanboy brother (6 owner) was playing with it during our delayed easter dinner this weekend and he was impressed.

On a related note I had taken my G Watch R off and he was amazed that he could very casually say "OK Google, text Eric, hi Eric" and his watch would beep. Even "text Dad" worked - kinda creepy that Google knew who my dad was.

Even my 69 year old mom said "that was amazing!" and she barely understands cell phones.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

FAUXTON posted:

Google Now is available inside the Google Search app on iOS. It does all the same stuff (traffic alerts, game alerts).

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
The Facebook app has messaging back?

Also I was in best buy today looking at the S6 and S6e. The Edge spillover on a screen that size looks awful. Both phones had the hand feel of of an iPhone 4. Gross.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I've gone through about 7 mobile phones in 6 years. In that time, I've never used a case for my phone. I finally bought a spigen for my n6 and it looks retarded. :(

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

mango sentinel posted:

The Facebook app has messaging back?

Also I was in best buy today looking at the S6 and S6e. The Edge spillover on a screen that size looks awful. Both phones had the hand feel of of an iPhone 4. Gross.

Kinda? If you have the messenger app installed you can use messaging through the regular app.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I've gone through about 7 mobile phones in 6 years. In that time, I've never used a case for my phone. I finally bought a spigen for my n6 and it looks retarded. :(

I've hated every Spigen case I've ever bought, but they're really good at being available pre-launch so I always end up with one. Get a diztronic tpu, really is great.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 13, 2015

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

Google Now is available inside the Google Search app on iOS. It does all the same stuff (traffic alerts, game alerts).

As far as I've heard, there's still the issue of the iOS version is still Google-stuff only and not tied into third party apps but that was like January.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

This is your own stupid fault for not getting a Diztronic

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Trying again just in case someone knows the answer but missed this... Is there a good/reasonably safe method to force move an app to the SD card without rooting? Most of what I see online is either years old or requires root, but maybe things have changed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Golbez posted:

Trying again just in case someone knows the answer but missed this... Is there a good/reasonably safe method to force move an app to the SD card without rooting? Most of what I see online is either years old or requires root, but maybe things have changed?

Probably not and also it's rare that a Micro SD card has properties suited to such things because they're only really wear-tested and random-I/O-tested for bulk-media and slightly more intensive purposes (like Nintendos).

Move to SD existed so old Android phones could cheap out on flash memory, and that's not so necessary anymore.