Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

MullardEL34 posted:

It would be the perfect full circle if Diana was the byproduct of another one of Don's Fathers whoring misadventures.

Welcome to my theory. Enjoy your stay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?

MullardEL34 posted:

The opening scene with Don making Milkshakes for the kids in Henry's funeral parlor of a house was totally surreal.

It was. Betty and her goddamn Italian and then a degree. We'll never hear the end of it.
Still, I kind of miss it. The way Don looks as he's leaving, glancing over at all of them in the kitchen, as though realizing they're family and how he'll never have that. Like the realization hit him and now he's on the road to no return with some horrible Twilight actress because why not.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow

shadow puppet of a posted:

Welcome to my theory. Enjoy your stay.

Just a personal Anecdote...
My Grandfather on my dad's side was born in a dirt floored shack on the bank of the Ohio River in Marietta in 1921. The only way he ended up getting out of it was training to become an X-ray tech on the GI bill and settling in Cleveland after fighting in Italy in WWII. He met my grandma, a nurse at the hospital that hired him. He was on the front lines at the battle of Monte Cassino. My dad always asked him where he grew up when he was a kid, and what it was like. His only answer ever was, "I'm a hilljack son, and that's all you need to know." He hid his childhood from his family the entire time he was alive. He died when my dad was like 14 in the late 60's. We only found out about his family and the crushing poverty he was raised in by getting in contact with his younger brother, and other distant relatives, long, like 45 years, after he died.

That's why Don's back story never seemed all that far fetched to me.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Apr 13, 2015

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
While last week's episode had little moments of intrigue and satisfaction, tonight's episode had neither.

This Di woman is incredibly flat and I don't care what Don is doing with her. Not one scene really stuck out tonight... which is sad since we only have 5 episodes left. What a waste of an hour.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

R.D. Mangles posted:

Harry Crane that glorious sleaze, perfect in his awfulness

I'm not sure how Harry thought making a pass at Megan was going to end well. He either gets rejected and Don finds out or he succeeds and Don finds out. Whatever he says, Don's not going to be cool with it, and Harry clearly knows that.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Harry is still suffering slights received from Don prior to the Guy Mackendrick era, there is no way he isn't going to try and take advantage of her as an act of revenge against the head of creative who once shut down his ideas around spray deodorant.

And then Zou Bisou happened and everything from tonight's episode becomes perfectly Craneologicial.

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010
Has Megan worn that baby blue outfit before? I feel like I've seen her in it before.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Stabitha posted:

Can someone tell me what happened to Lou? I feel like I've forgotten something. It looks like Don is back in his old office now (the one Lou took over) and I can't for the life of me remember why Lou isn't there anymore. Did he disappear offscreen during the mid season time jump?

MullardEL34 pretty much answered this, but I think there was a very brief mention that Lou became a partner in the brand new Cutler/Phillips/Avery agency.

Also, as soon as Megan took out the check, something in me was screaming "he paid you to loving leave that means you are a WHORE"

And Roger owns

edit:

Homework Explainer posted:

i knew i recognized pima's actress and of COURSE the lady swooping in and seducing everyone is played by mimi rogers

Good god, it's the Proto Christina Hendricks :fap:

Dancing Peasant fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 13, 2015

ANAL DEL REY
Dec 30, 2004
I'm so l33t I don't realize I do it

mustard_tiger posted:

Has Megan worn that baby blue outfit before? I feel like I've seen her in it before.

She was wearing it when she picked up Don from the airport in the first half of the season.

Lucania
May 1, 2009

mustard_tiger posted:

I don't know if it's the same exact one, but it looks a lot like the outfit she wore to meet Don at the airport in the first episode of the season.

E: beaten, but here's a photo:

oshuaj
Jul 25, 2007

Weak episode, not what you want with only a few left before the end.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
All the waitress stalking reminded me of Charlie Kelly and now I want nothing more than to see Don pitch the poo poo out of Kitten Mittens. Bonus: Rickety Cricket, Accounts.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

What was with that distracting sombrero in Don's office? Have I just never noticed that before? Where did it come from?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I've defened Megan's storylines in the past, but this was not a good episode. At all.

I thought the whole point of last year's conclusion was to point out that although Don's second marriage collapsed, it was at least on somewhat amicable terms. To turn Megan into a screaming cliche all in service of a cheap Sterling Joke felt like a huge misstep.

I totally buy her turning into a rich LA trophy wife. I just don't buy her being so magnificently lovely to Don.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
Harry Crane is always right and Megan's career is going nowhere unless she starts doing the casting couch thing. This is known.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I thought it was weird seeing Megan be nice to Harry but he sorted that out pretty quick!

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

Harry Crane is always right and Megan's career is going nowhere unless she starts doing the casting couch thing. This is known.

Harry Crane is always right about everything but his own personal wants which he pretty much always fucks up in the most spectacular way. If he'd just helped her with no strings and stuck around being supportive he might have eventually gotten in her pants, but the immediate casting couch ploy was doomed from the start. Also I think Megan blowing up at Don after what had been, up to that point, a pretty amicable separation was because of her mother and her sister more than anything Don did. He did hurt her but she seemed pretty set on moving past it and on with her life, but she had her sister guilting her about the impropriety of being divorced on one side and her mother angry at her for not taking Don for everything he had out of vengeance. She was getting criticized from all sides on how she chose to handle the ending of her marriage and she wouldn't be ending her marriage at all if not for Don's action. So she funneled all the anger at him instead of at her toxic family.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
I've been having a hard time putting my finger on what about Twilight Mom bothers me so much...and I think it's her wig. Her hair is so distracting to me that when she is on screen that's all I can focus on. Which is weird because that almost never happens to me where this show is concerned - their costume designers always get it SO right that this misstep had me actually thinking she is a terrible actress.

Or maybe she it's just that she is a terrible actress.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

there wolf posted:

Harry Crane is always right about everything but his own personal wants which he pretty much always fucks up in the most spectacular way. If he'd just helped her with no strings and stuck around being supportive he might have eventually gotten in her pants, but the immediate casting couch ploy was doomed from the start. Also I think Megan blowing up at Don after what had been, up to that point, a pretty amicable separation was because of her mother and her sister more than anything Don did. He did hurt her but she seemed pretty set on moving past it and on with her life, but she had her sister guilting her about the impropriety of being divorced on one side and her mother angry at her for not taking Don for everything he had out of vengeance. She was getting criticized from all sides on how she chose to handle the ending of her marriage and she wouldn't be ending her marriage at all if not for Don's action. So she funneled all the anger at him instead of at her toxic family.

hey the first sane post about this episode.

I agree it was somewhat flat but it's better than most people in this thread are saying. it's flat because it's showing all the relationships don and the people around him have thrown away. compare Rogers divorces to dons and how they react. also compare Harrys idea ou loyalty to dons and to kens.

I like when they talk in french and English to each other. :allears:

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Frackie Robinson posted:

I'm not sure how Harry thought making a pass at Megan was going to end well.

I think he only thought it out as far as the "having sex with Megan" part. Harry suffers from status inconsistency where he's important to SC&P but he's never given his perceived due, so he "deals" with that by acting out and trying to take things he believes should already be accorded to him, including Don's ex-wife.

Kelly posted:

...and I think it's her wig.

That is one bad wig, yeah.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

After having time to sleep on it:

I really loved every part of the episode that wasn't Don and Diana. Their whole thing is just so maudlin and ~~symbolic~~ that I really hope it's over and we can move on.

In contrast, every time Marie was on the screen, the episode was a ton of fun. That's almost always true, though. Her and Roger are hilarious to me, especially when Megan came back to find them dressing in the empty apartment. And her snapping "don't be a bitch" was just classic.

We need more Betty in the final season. Just one last Betty episode. It's amazing how much she turned into one of the show's most entertaining characters.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
i love megan's family

ssbbud
Jan 2, 2014
Don was basically creepy Pete chasing Rory Gilmore from season 5 in this episode. The shot of him looking into his would-be family life at the beginning was pretty great.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

i love megan's family

You would probably enjoy Québec then. Her family is hilariously Québécois: a weird mix of catholicism and continentalism (which should be at odds with each other, but somehow mesh to become ... Québécois I guess?) and interchangeably using two languages in the same conversation.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!
I enjoyed the episode except for the scenes with Diana. Megan's mother and sister compensated for her dullness, even if I would prefer to spend that time with other characters. As for Megan suddenly hating Don, it felt fitting that her family turned her against him so easily, the same way her father did with advertising.

But that Diana character really is terrible in every way. She's like the worst possible scenario for the final episodes. She reminds me of that woman Don sat next to on a flight from LA. The one who actually spoke the words "he died of thirst" without irony. Between her and Syliva, I think there's been more than enough wallowing in melancholia already.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

I'm kinda hoping that when he turned around and left, he was realizing how bug her issues were and wanted none of that. Leaving when he realized it was like looking in a mirror is a pretty Don thing to do.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Does Pima have some real person analogue?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sakarja posted:

I enjoyed the episode except for the scenes with Diana. Megan's mother and sister compensated for her dullness, even if I would prefer to spend that time with other characters. As for Megan suddenly hating Don, it felt fitting that her family turned her against him so easily, the same way her father did with advertising.

But that Diana character really is terrible in every way. She's like the worst possible scenario for the final episodes. She reminds me of that woman Don sat next to on a flight from LA. The one who actually spoke the words "he died of thirst" without irony. Between her and Syliva, I think there's been more than enough wallowing in melancholia already.

I want to know what world it ever was where every random waitress and secretary and flight passenger you might happen to hit on in the course of a day is full of pithy philosophical statements and metaphors and instructive secret pasts. Can't even a Don Draper just run into someone occasionally who's just, y'know, like, a regular person?

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

Rad Lieutenant posted:

Does Pima have some real person analogue?

I would guess Annie Leibovitz

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Homework Explainer posted:

i knew i recognized pima's actress and of COURSE the lady swooping in and seducing everyone is played by mimi rogers

Lin Beifong gets what she wants. :black101:

SquirrelPrincess
Dec 13, 2004

courtney_beth posted:

While last week's episode had little moments of intrigue and satisfaction, tonight's episode had neither.

This Di woman is incredibly flat and I don't care what Don is doing with her. Not one scene really stuck out tonight... which is sad since we only have 5 episodes left. What a waste of an hour.

I feel the same way. This close to the end of the series, I want to see more of the characters we've known all these years. Not scene after scene with some drippy waitress who has zero chemistry with Don. It feels so tacked on.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Data Graham posted:

I want to know what world it ever was where every random waitress and secretary and flight passenger you might happen to hit on in the course of a day is full of pithy philosophical statements and metaphors and instructive secret pasts. Can't even a Don Draper just run into someone occasionally who's just, y'know, like, a regular person?

Any normal, decent woman would run away from Don like her hair is on fire.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

kefkafloyd posted:

Lin Beifong gets what she wants. :black101:

Not the right Austin Powers connection. :v:

Bumblebee
May 23, 2007

Clever Betty

Kelly posted:

I've been having a hard time putting my finger on what about Twilight Mom bothers me so much...and I think it's her wig. Her hair is so distracting to me that when she is on screen that's all I can focus on. Which is weird because that almost never happens to me where this show is concerned - their costume designers always get it SO right that this misstep had me actually thinking she is a terrible actress.

Or maybe she it's just that she is a terrible actress.

Ugh, the wig is just so amazingly bad, especially framing her square face. Everything about the character is depressing, from the severe hairstyle to her flat tone of voice to her dour expressions. That's probably what they were going for, but it's distracting and honestly just makes me angry whenever she's on screen. I've never been one of those "someone is going to die by jumping off of a building like in the opening credits!!" people, but when she randomly mentioned Don's terrace, I was hoping she would make a running jump and commit suicide. I hope this arc is over for good. What a waste of time.

Also, can someone explain to me why Megan speaks with a Canadian/American accent, yet her sister speak with a full on Québécois (I assume?) accent? Maybe it has been mentioned in the past, but I can't seem to recall.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Bumblebee posted:

Ugh, the wig is just so amazingly bad, especially framing her square face. Everything about the character is depressing, from the severe hairstyle to her flat tone of voice to her dour expressions. That's probably what they were going for, but it's distracting and honestly just makes me angry whenever she's on screen. I've never been one of those "someone is going to die by jumping off of a building like in the opening credits!!" people, but when she randomly mentioned Don's terrace, I was hoping she would make a running jump and commit suicide. I hope this arc is over for good. What a waste of time.

Also, can someone explain to me why Megan speaks with a Canadian/American accent, yet her sister speak with a full on Québécois (I assume?) accent? Maybe it has been mentioned in the past, but I can't seem to recall.

Jessica Paré isn't capable of it is my guess. I remember other people saying that her French isn't great.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That's another thing; accents. Why, in this meticulously accurate show set in New York in the 60s, does not a single person speak in a heavy Noo Yoo-awk accent?

I figured at least the waitress would be like Mona Lisa from My Cousin Vinny or something, both in terms of the working-class accent and the home life and interests that are at odds with the melancholy sighing and upper-class affectations and florid analogies that everyone else in the show makes all the time. Bit of a change of pace for Don, maybe? But unless I'm really missing something, I haven't heard a single person talk with what I would think would be a period-accurate voice.

It's like the opposite of It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World, in which every single one of the actors in the Southern California setting talks like a Brooklyn cabbie, because every single comedian from the 40s was from New York.

Nouvelle Vague
Feb 16, 2011

Endut! Hoch Hech!

Data Graham posted:

That's another thing; accents. Why, in this meticulously accurate show set in New York in the 60s, does not a single person speak in a heavy Noo Yoo-awk accent?

I figured at least the waitress would be like Mona Lisa from My Cousin Vinny or something, both in terms of the working-class accent and the home life and interests that are at odds with the melancholy sighing and upper-class affectations and florid analogies that everyone else in the show makes all the time. Bit of a change of pace for Don, maybe? But unless I'm really missing something, I haven't heard a single person talk with what I would think would be a period-accurate voice.

It's like the opposite of It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World, in which every single one of the actors in the Southern California setting talks like a Brooklyn cabbie, because every single comedian from the 40s was from New York.

The only instances I can think of are Ginsberg and Peggy's family (but not Peggy).

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Roger's mustache doesn't make sense either for his WWII era age, he would rock a Clark Gable type if at all - not whatever the hell that thing is. Pete's age would have the David Crosby already.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Data Graham posted:

Remember the waitress is from Wisconsin and hasn't been in New York long. I agree with you in general though; it is weird to not really hear that accent anywhere in the show.

E: I can't remember, but that sleazy Jaguar guy might have had an accent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

Remember the waitress is from Wisconsin and hasn't been in New York long. I agree with you in general though; it is weird to not really hear that accent anywhere in the show.

E: I can't remember, but that sleazy Jaguar guy might have had an accent.

He was all Jersey.

• Locked thread