Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

iwentdoodie posted:

Isn't this the season that strays way apart from how poo poo happens in the books, because GRRM is a lazy fucktard?

Yes it does. I believe Wolves of Winter may get out before season 6 but the producers are being guided by GRRM and they know where the story goes.

Up until the Red Wedding, GRRM ran a really REALLY good story. But frankly it broke down, got bloated and lost it's way badly. Half the problem he has is resolving all of that utter poo poo - the story is just a complete and utter word vomit. That said, it's not like GRRM's betters (all two or three of them) don't hit the same issues - even Tolkien got into a tangle at about Window to the West / Faramir and Gondor worldbuilding in Lord of the Rings.

The problem of course is when a book series gets big, the author most often wants to take a smaller story, expand it in scope and poo poo gets out of control. Wheel of Time is a perfect example - Jordan was intending for a much smaller three book scope but with it's success he got ambitious, expanded and look at how it became just such a huge mess that could never really be concluded satisfactory. Stephen King also got caught in that with The Dark Tower too. On the other hand, JK Rowling avoided that trap quite well by fixing Harry Potter to having a particular story she wanted to tell, then kept it fairly tight and on track, no matter the pressure to do otherwise, the Potter books mostly avoid bloating and going off into different directions.

Not that being bloated and going off into different directions is always a bad thing, Terry Pratchett made a career out of it with Discworld by playing up to it and eventually that's exactly what you expected. Sometimes you can see exactly where the story derails and it goes off on a different direction - but in the main writers like GRRM get caught. Even with the best of planning a story and writing can go off in unexpected directions pretty much by itself as new ideas flow in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Rhyno posted:

DAD'S GIVING ME HIS CAR I AM SO EXCITED

2000 Golf TDI, 314K. ALLLL MINE

Gotta be careful, that's basically a GTI without all the engine, transmission, suspension, and interior bits.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Powershift posted:

Gotta be careful, that's basically a GTI without all the engine, transmission, suspension, and interior bits.

What do I have to be careful about?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Blacking out from the intense g-forces on launch.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Glad I started a two page derail on how rad fat chicks are :v:

Cat Terrist posted:

Most of us even know how to take one off from said woman.

I'm so bad at this. Probably because most of the chicks I'm with are thick as hell and have like 4 or 5 clasps on the back of their bras.

Successfully got day-drunk with half of the dealership employees I work with today at the Brewers game. My boss was loving hammered and made an rear end of herself, it was great. I literally did not watch one minute of the ball game.

Also: wearing a BMW Motorsport sweatshirt to a Toyota dealership work-function :smug:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Powershift posted:

I don't remember it being that bad when I previously drove it. But to be fair, since it was Dad's car I usually took it pretty easy on it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

One episode of Daredevil down.... gently caress me what a great opener. Marvel's small screen offering have ramped up sooo much this year

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

T-Square posted:

Also: wearing a BMW Motorsport sweatshirt to a Toyota dealership work-function :smug:

My boss always says that you should dress for the position you want. Dress for success!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

T-Square posted:

Successfully got day-drunk with half of the dealership employees I work with today at the Brewers game. My boss was loving hammered and made an rear end of herself, it was great. I literally did not watch one minute of the ball game.
Don't gently caress your boss

T-Square posted:

I somehow have zero BMW apparel.

Rhyno posted:

I don't remember it being that bad when I previously drove it. But to be fair, since it was Dad's car I usually took it pretty easy on it.
I'd be a little careful with a 300k+ mile TDI. I mean they take boost well and everything but I've considered upgrading mine but it's at 250k+ and I'd rather not rebuild or replace the engine/drivetrain/etc. Toss on some decent tires, upgrade the suspension a bit and enjoy it like that for a while. Chip if you feel the need to modify, I'm still thinking about doing this on mine.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

NitroSpazzz posted:

I'd be a little careful with a 300k+ mile TDI. I mean they take boost well and everything but I've considered upgrading mine but it's at 250k+ and I'd rather not rebuild or replace the engine/drivetrain/etc. Toss on some decent tires, upgrade the suspension a bit and enjoy it like that for a while. Chip if you feel the need to modify, I'm still thinking about doing this on mine.

It has year old tires, suspension was replaced at 200K. It's staying stock.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Rhyno posted:

What do I have to be careful about?

Everything but the engine and the transmission (if it is an manual). It's a MKIV afterall.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

nm posted:

Everything but the engine and the transmission (if it is an manual). It's a MKIV afterall.

Yeah it's a 5 speed. It's made it this far, I'm not worried about it. Dad has a binder full of receipts, it's been well taken care of.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Powershift posted:

If its anything like the Scirocco it'll just spin wheels and torque steer you into a tree.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

NitroSpazzz posted:

Don't gently caress your boss

Hey now. You stow that negativity son, this is AI. We encourage bad decisions here :colbert:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

T-Square posted:

Glad I started a two page derail on how rad fat chicks are :v:

I'm so bad at this. Probably because most of the chicks I'm with are thick as hell and have like 4 or 5 clasps on the back of their bras.

The worst is when you get a couple unclipped, and they somehow hook back in to the other ones and it ends up in a mess.

Also, CT, so glad you brought up Pratchett. Since my surgery I've re-read like six of his books. Still one of my favorite authors, even if the books are childish or whatever there's a LOT of depth to them.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Yeah it's a 5 speed. It's made it this far, I'm not worried about it. Dad has a binder full of receipts, it's been well taken care of.

So which Mazda are you selling then?

(If you sell the Miata I'm punching you in the dick)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

So which Mazada are you selling then?

(If you sell the Miata I'm punching you in the dick)

Neither as of yet. I'm gonna park the 6 and put it on storage insurance until I decide if I should sell it or not. Dad's buying a house this summer/fall and already offered free parking and storage. I almost PMed you about this the other night because I was kind of spazzing out about what to do.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

iwentdoodie posted:

Also, CT, so glad you brought up Pratchett. Since my surgery I've re-read like six of his books. Still one of my favorite authors, even if the books are childish or whatever there's a LOT of depth to them.

There's always layers to Pratchett. There's some brilliant political satire esp in the Vimes books - and then books like Soul Music or Moving Pictures work even better if you know what he's taking the piss out of and more often than not, he's taking the piss out of three things at once on the same page. And even after re-reading, there's something else to discover - Like Captain Carrot is very much Queen Elizabeth II but in Discworld.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Neither as of yet. I'm gonna park the 6 and put it on storage insurance until I decide if I should sell it or not. Dad's buying a house this summer/fall and already offered free parking and storage. I almost PMed you about this the other night because I was kind of spazzing out about what to do.

Honestly I would say now that you have a decent DD you're gonna want to keep the Miata for a car on nice days for top down fun, you'll regret it if you sell it.

I know because I'm on number four now, I always end up going back to a Miata :3:

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Ferremit posted:

Got my fireplace installed today. Gonna be nice not having to run the reverse cycle to warm the place up, that shits getting expensive.

And Im really chuffed that our ducted AC design works and we can pump hot air from the room with the fire in it to the rest of the house!

drat efficient too- had it going since about 2pm and its eaten 4 pieces of wood 6" diameter in that time, and the last two will go all night

This really cool. How does it work? Given that you're drawing hot air from the room with the fire to other parts of the house, is it fair to assume that the stove doesn't draw a draft from the room it's in? Does it have some sort of inlet from outside the house or something?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

bennyfactor posted:

Does it have some sort of inlet from outside the house or something?

My parents have had a wood stove since before I was born. Once you get it up to temperature you put it into "airtight" mode, where it reduces airflow and depending on the model sends the exhaust into a catalyst (typically referred to as "secondary combustion chamber.") If you put the work into collecting firewood all summer it's essentially a free heat source.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Rhyno posted:

Has he ever replaced the nozzles? Its kind of important because they wear out and can cause problems and a lot of people overlook them when it comes to maintenance of TDIs . Its also a great opportunity to replace them with some Sprints which will increase the power and fuel mileage, slightly. With that mileage Im going to assume he did but the nozzles are only good for 100-150k.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fart Pipe posted:

Has he ever replaced the nozzles? Its kind of important because they wear out and can cause problems and a lot of people overlook them when it comes to maintenance of TDIs . Its also a great opportunity to replace them with some Sprints which will increase the power and fuel mileage, slightly. With that mileage Im going to assume he did but the nozzles are only good for 100-150k.

I'll ask him when I see him on Thursday. He wants me to take it asap but I have space issues so it need to wait until we get settled in the new place.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

iwentdoodie posted:

The worst is when you get a couple unclipped, and they somehow hook back in to the other ones and it ends up in a mess.

Holy poo poo, someone knows my pain. It's so bad when all you want to do is get down to business and they give that look like "Dude, stop, let me take it off :rolleyes:"

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So a few months ago we had a compressor on a make table replaced at work.

I remember telling my boss "I give it 3 months before this compressor locks up" after watching this guy. He "emptied" the system by slicing a line with a cutting torch, I didn't see a drop of oil go in (or out), he didn't replace the receiver/dryer, and he only pulled a vacuum for a few minutes.

Not only did it lock up, the thermal overload was also bad, so it started tripping breakers around the time people were wondering what was burning. And since whoever wired the place put triple ties on every 3 breakers (even 120V stuff, even 3 phase stuff that wasn't related to anything else), it also took out one oven (3 phase 208V) and the front lights (single phase 120V) every time it tripped.

That makes 5 compressors in 12 months. I don't get why the owner doesn't use a professional instead of a handyman, especially on $10,000 pieces of equipment.

Called it. :smuggo:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Apr 13, 2015

BigHouseOfBooty
Nov 13, 2012

Tusen Takk posted:

My wife is teeny tiny and I accidentally hurt her all the time because of it :(

:wiggle:

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

One of the more fun parts about growing up always working on bikes and cars was developing great finger dexterity, then shocking and/or impressing girls I was dating by undoing their bra with one hand, without any advice or time needed. The funniest however was when I encountered my first front clasp, which I didn't know existed at the time. I sat fidgeting for like 2 minutes on the seam and care tag in the back, with her knowing the whole time what was going on and basically tormenting me. When she finally whispered "it's in the front" it took me about half a second to snap it open and by then it was like boob Christmas.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

LloydDobler posted:

Boob Christmas.

goddamn, it's really hard to not change my steam name to this

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

some texas redneck posted:

I don't get why the owner doesn't use a professional instead of a handyman, especially on $10,000 pieces of equipment.

Generally if someone makes a lovely business decision it's usually related to saving money. ...and as you've seen here, this always bites them in the rear end and it's great.

LloydDobler posted:

One of the more fun parts about growing up always working on bikes and cars was developing great finger dexterity, then shocking and/or impressing girls I was dating by undoing their bra with one hand, without any advice or time needed. The funniest however was when I encountered my first front clasp, which I didn't know existed at the time. I sat fidgeting for like 2 minutes on the seam and care tag in the back, with her knowing the whole time what was going on and basically tormenting me. When she finally whispered "it's in the front" it took me about half a second to snap it open and by then it was like boob Christmas.

"Do you need some hel-" *bra is open*

:smuggo:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Why the gently caress are birds chirping and its 3 am and dark as poo poo out? Can some one please explain?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

A glut in the market of miniature NVGs.

E:I had the whole of last week off, came back today and the whole shop has been switched to led high bay lighting, no more dim-assed yellow gloom :yayclod:

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Apr 13, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

some texas redneck posted:

So a few months ago we had a compressor on a make table replaced at work.

I remember telling my boss "I give it 3 months before this compressor locks up" after watching this guy. He "emptied" the system by slicing a line with a cutting torch, I didn't see a drop of oil go in (or out), he didn't replace the receiver/dryer, and he only pulled a vacuum for a few minutes.

Not only did it lock up, the thermal overload was also bad, so it started tripping breakers around the time people were wondering what was burning. And since whoever wired the place put triple ties on every 3 breakers (even 120V stuff, even 3 phase stuff that wasn't related to anything else), it also took out one oven (3 phase 208V) and the front lights (single phase 120V) every time it tripped.

That makes 5 compressors in 12 months. I don't get why the owner doesn't use a professional instead of a handyman, especially on $10,000 pieces of equipment.

Called it. :smuggo:

You got to take the bad with the good. That poo poo wouldn't fly in Australia, but then again it would be illegal and impossible for you to work on your own car A/C unless licenced in the trade and have another license to buy refrigerant and an account at a refrigerant wholesaler.
The fact that anyone can do wiring and refrigeration there means you can DIY your own stuff, but also that many repairers can be poo poo. While here I can't legally do my own wiring, which also sucks, but in a different way.

Also fridges don't have receiver/dryers, They have driers, going from little dinky copper spun tubes to 2-5" driers. Receivers are always separate and only on large on fridges. Only TXV (and other variable load) systems will have them, your own fridge at home will not have a receiver.
Using a receiver and TXV in small fridge systems is mainly used when remote installing the condenser eg on the shops roof or out back etc. IE use a receiver and TXV system when custom on-site pipework is done. But the receivers on these fridges are just a hollow tank to hold excess refrigerant when under low load, they are empty and the drier is separate.
All large systems will have a TXV and receiver of course because large systems see a huge load variation that a high TD can't achieve, but most pizza cabinets and display fridges have no TXV or receiver these days, they have capillary tube critical charge systems as the pipe length is a known quantity that engineers can work out the exact charge to weigh in, so they only have a tiny dryer.)

Capillary tube metering systems, AKA critical charge systems, (like your home fridge and more and more small commercial systems too if the condenser is manufacturer installed, eg part of the unit so it's a known pipe length unlike remote condenser systems), have no receiver. An exact charge is weighed in so they don't need a receiver to store excess refrigerant. Same for most air cons like mini splits even if they have an electric TXV.
E: mini splits don't even have driers at all! they just rely on a good install for containments and a strainer for dirt :lol:
They often have an accumulator though on the suction line to stop liquid flood back on low load.

Also in cases of bad burnouts of compressors, not only should the liquid line drier be changed, it's common to add a suction line dryer - meant to be temporary as it's job is to suck up poo poo coming from the evap to the new compressor. Fairly restrictive and bad for performance so pulled out after a couple of months. Just there to protect the new compressor from existing nasties in the system.
e: also if they're soldering without a full reclaim of refrigerant and purging with nitrogen, the system is going to be full of carbon scale that forms from refrigerant, air and other gases under heat, that's going to block poo poo up anyway. And if that's a capillary system, it's no going to last long
edit: compressors are precharged with oil, never need to remove or add oil during a compressor change, just nice if you can purge any stuck in the receiver (if fitted), evap (if poorly designed so it holds some), or change liquid line drier, and add suction line drier to filter it - which you remove later as said before.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Apr 13, 2015

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Okay, the onboard ECU's on newer cars have well and truly gone overboard. My VE Commodore (Or Pontiac G8 SS if you have been following my latest thread) had to get it's fuel pump changed. ALSO needed to be replaced was a seperate ECU specifically for the fuel pump. Grand cost? 1200 dollars. The pump is coded to only obey the commands of it's own ECU.

The.

gently caress??????

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
That's crazy.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Cat Terrist posted:

Okay, the onboard ECU's on newer cars have well and truly gone overboard. My VE Commodore (Or Pontiac G8 SS if you have been following my latest thread) had to get it's fuel pump changed. ALSO needed to be replaced was a seperate ECU specifically for the fuel pump. Grand cost? 1200 dollars. The pump is coded to only obey the commands of it's own ECU.

The.

gently caress??????

Ahahaha. Oh GM :allears:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

bennyfactor posted:

This really cool. How does it work? Given that you're drawing hot air from the room with the fire to other parts of the house, is it fair to assume that the stove doesn't draw a draft from the room it's in? Does it have some sort of inlet from outside the house or something?

Its a slow combustion stove, but not with a baffle or anything like that, it just rolls the combustion gasses in the firebox before letting them go out the flue and has a shitload of convection powered air injectors throughout the firebox to pump a shitload of air into it to get it to burn ultra efficiently.

As for airflow, it just draws in room air for combustion and it heats by radiation and convection- its got a full casing around it it that allows air to convect up around the firebox and heat the room. As for the circulation, its just a standard ducted AC unit, except we moved the air return inlet from the hallway into the main living room where the fire is so it sucks up all the hot air from ceiling level and blows it around the house. Aussie houses arent sealed anywhere near as well as other countries purely because we dont get months of freezing blizzard bullshit- this place doesnt even have a vapour barrier- its got foil sarking for heat insulation but thats it - Ive actually got deliberate spinaway vents in the roof to get rid of moisture from the winter and the heat from the summer!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I was late for work today because I had to preorder GTAV so that it would be pre-loaded when I got home. And because the game took up +50% of my SSD I had to delete a few games before I left. Priorities.

Sir Pukesalot
Nov 3, 2012

Cage posted:

I was late for work today because I had to preorder GTAV so that it would be pre-loaded when I got home. And because the game took up +50% of my SSD I had to delete a few games before I left. Priorities.

Are anyone down for a AI goon gta crew? Could be fun to make one with the Rank-titles ranging from Sperglord Firecock to IOC or something, IDK.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I wanna work on my dumb truck but I gotta be at dumb work :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Why the gently caress are birds chirping and its 3 am and dark as poo poo out? Can some one please explain?

I always like the occasional appearance of the rare tweakerbird, the one single songbird wailing its beak off at like midnight to two am

• Locked thread