Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Some dude died at Walt Disney World Speedway because they have excellent barrier design apparently

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/national/man-dead-after-crashing-lamborghini-at-disney/nksCL/

Car got speared by the end of a guardrail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

There's two parts on that track where it could have happened, and they'd both be at pretty high speed areas. This will only make Disney move faster to shut down and destroy that track.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Uncle Jam posted:

Some dude died at Walt Disney World Speedway because they have excellent barrier design apparently

No, he was actually airlifted out and only pronounced dead off Walt Disney property, so he actually didn't die at the speedway. (Not really.)

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Random bit of trivia.

That has to be the first booth where everyone in said booth has experience racing in the series they're covering. Till, Tracy, and Bell all raced IndyCar. Am I mistaken with this?

Race sucked, but that was a hell of a win by Hinch. Very good to see him pick up a "w".

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

FuzzySkinner posted:

Random bit of trivia.

That has to be the first booth where everyone in said booth has experience racing in the series they're covering. Till, Tracy, and Bell all raced IndyCar. Am I mistaken with this?

Race sucked, but that was a hell of a win by Hinch. Very good to see him pick up a "w".

In Indycar, probably so.

The BBC teamed up Brundle and Coulthard for their F1 coverage a couple of years back before Sky showed up and ruined everything.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

No surprise really:
http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/115471-report-lawyers-serve-notice-of-intent-to-sue-over-st-pete-debris-injury
http://www.tampabay.com/news/courts/civil/attorneys-seek-race-car-debris-that-struck-client-at-grand-prix-of-st/2225003

Who knows where this will go. I would assume these are things covered under the blanket "you're going to a motorsports event, you accept this risk" fine print on the ticket, but eh. It also sounds like her attack lawyers are looking to go after IndyCar and/or whoever owned the bit that was busted off:

quote:

The woman's lawyers, Justin C. Johnson and Christopher M. Rotunda, filed a related lawsuit against the city this week to preserve the piece of debris that struck Hoffstetter. They want to review it to "determine additional theories of liability, as well as identify additional defendants."

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Honestly I can see why she'd sue, I don't think anyone realized how much of an issue the aero kits were gonna cause regarding potentially dangerous debris. Nobody goes to an event like this to have their skull fractured.

Also I would not at all be surprised if her insurance is not covering her treatment fully.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
I'm not sure how they have any legal grounds to sue given every race ticket has a release of liability on the back.

Indy 500 Ticket posted:

PARTICIPATION IN THIS RACING EVENT AS A SPECTATOR IS AT YOUR OWN RISK. The ticket holder expressly ASSUMES ALL RISK incident to the event, whether occurring prior to, during, or subsequent to the actual conduct of the event, and HEREBY RELEASES all event participants, sanctioning bodies, Indianapolis Motor Speedway, LLC ("IMS"), and all directors, officers, members, shareholders, owners, affiliates, employees and agents of each of the foregoing from any and all claims arising from the event, including claims of negligence of the releasees.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
You can print whatever you want, but it doesn't make it a law. Especially if she was somewhere on the concourse where a judge may decide you have an expectation for safety. Also, severity of injury matters too.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Uncle Jam posted:

You can print whatever you want, but it doesn't make it a law. Especially if she was somewhere on the concourse where a judge may decide you have an expectation for safety. Also, severity of injury matters too.

Regardless this pretty much works out to a cash grab and she'll get a settlement out-of-court

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

KingShibby posted:

Regardless this pretty much works out to a cash grab and she'll get a settlement out-of-court

I guess you've never been to the hospital in the US for a serious emergency, but it's pretty easy to end up in debt for life.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Uncle Jam posted:

I guess you've never been to the hospital in the US for a serious emergency, but it's pretty easy to end up in debt for life.

I haven't, but I'm sure the settlement is to cover the medical bills plus extra for pain and suffering

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

KingShibby posted:

It's not like she's complaining about unspecified pain or some poo poo, she had her goddamn skull broken dude

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I mean hell, she wasn't even in the grandstands, she was walking behind them when she got hit. That should not happen at any race track, ever.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
I'm not saying she doesn't deserve anything. What I am saying is that anyone attending a race knows there's an inherent risk of getting hit by debris, so the settlement should be limited to medical costs only and very minimal pain and suffering.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

KingShibby posted:

I'm not saying she doesn't deserve anything. What I am saying is that anyone attending a race knows there's an inherent risk of getting hit by debris, so the settlement should be limited to medical costs only and very minimal pain and suffering.

Are you not aware of how injury lawsuits work? You need to sue for a lot more than your medical costs for them to even settle at an amount that would pay your medical bills. In fact, this is exactly what happened with the McDonald's coffee case, probably the best case example of how easily morons buy into the idea that injury lawsuits are only about getting rich.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Anyways speaking of near serious injuries, check out this pic of Bourdais' tub:

FAILURE
Jan 28, 2004

If I am not me, den who da hell am I?

Bentai posted:

No surprise really:
http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/115471-report-lawyers-serve-notice-of-intent-to-sue-over-st-pete-debris-injury
http://www.tampabay.com/news/courts/civil/attorneys-seek-race-car-debris-that-struck-client-at-grand-prix-of-st/2225003

Who knows where this will go. I would assume these are things covered under the blanket "you're going to a motorsports event, you accept this risk" fine print on the ticket, but eh. It also sounds like her attack lawyers are looking to go after IndyCar and/or whoever owned the bit that was busted off:

Oh wow, that happened right next to where I was sitting in the T10 grandstands. I didn't believe the white-haired fans around me when they said that's what happened when I saw the stretcher, considering they couldn't tell Sage Karam and Tony Kanaan apart on the track, but I guess they got something right.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

KingShibby posted:

gently caress that's terrifying :ohdear:

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

KingShibby posted:

Don't just brush off your wrongness.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

dev null posted:

Don't just brush off your wrongness.

I made my statement, and I'm sticking with it regardless of how wrong I may or may not be

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
People sue for pain and suffering, because if you have a skull fracture you can ha've brain damage and need to learn how to walk again etc. That's a lot of lost wages. Even if insurance covers it you can bet with 100% certainty that the insurer companies lawyers have already settled out of court with IndyCar to cover the cost of the procedure. It's professional though and wouldn't be in the news (so as not to damage either companies reputation one way or another)

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://www.racer.com/more/viewpoints/item/115508-miller-indycar-fans-deserve-better

Miller's pissed.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
If I had more time I'd make up shirts saying ¡Viva la Revolucion! with Robin Miller's head on it. I do plan on bringing my One Man Truth Bazooka shirt to Long Beach, I just can't wear it for ethical reasons.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Would he be as pissed had it not rained?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

As he should be. Turns out I was right - not only did my iRacing C-fixed Charlotte race go more laps than this, it also ran far less of them under caution. A 47-lap race with a lap average of 71MPH is a loving farce for a top-tier series.

The Pro Mazda race that Miller mentioned? 86MPH.

F2000 race? Also 71MPH.

Bentai posted:

Would he be as pissed had it not rained?

Probably not, no, since I would hope that in the dry these drivers would know how to keep the cars on track. We still might've ended up with that pileup between RHR, SiPag, and Seabass, but we wouldn't have been waiting forever on Dracone / Karam / Huertas / Coletti...

Ordinaire
Sep 1, 2008

Forks in the road we're not.
The sky is falling, burn the entire series to the ground, etc. I still had fun throughout the weekend, but whatever.

EDIT: Half the fun was all the absolute disdain for Karam and Dracone in the stands. The race would be fine without those jokers making GBS threads up the place.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Best comment from that Robin Miller rant:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I used to look forward to Miller's rants but I can't read them anymore. He used to be the lone voice that would talk poo poo on either series, but now talking poo poo about sports is one of the most popular websites on the internet (Deadspin), which makes Miller just seem like yet another angry old man demanding a return to the 60s.

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

Just watching the race on DVR - skipping through the yellow flag segments and I almost missed a green flag section, don't think Colletti even made it to T1 when he crashed :psyduck:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Ordinaire posted:

EDIT: Half the fun was all the absolute disdain for Karam and Dracone in the stands. The race would be fine without those jokers making GBS threads up the place.

Yeah, you'll always have more accidents in a rain race but christ. Karam is in a fuckin Ganassi car, he has no excuse for how pathetic that was.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

"And while IndyCar continues to throw darts at places with no racing history or limited interest, great, traditional layouts like Road America, Watkins Glen, Road Atlanta, Mosport and CoTA in Austin are ignored."

Road America...has no interest in IndyCar, and honestly it's a choice between them and the Milwaukee Mile? I'll take the oldest oval in the world.

The Glen is a fantastic venue, but I think they're quite content with Stock Cars.

Road Atlanta? ...Has never hosted an Indycar race. Ever. Formula Atlantics? Yes. Never an IndyCar race.

MoSport? um...Great venue, but uh, we run in Toronto already?

COTA? We'll see...

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

If any of them had a sponsor, IndyCar would run them in a heartbeat. IndyCar 'fans' and their loving fantasyland.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Cubey posted:

Yeah, you'll always have more accidents in a rain race but christ. Karam is in a fuckin Ganassi car, he has no excuse for how pathetic that was.

He's a rookie in his, what, 3rd ever IndyCar race and in really challenging conditions. Based on his ladder series results he should be the next American IndyCar star so I'll cut him some slack.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

FuzzySkinner posted:

"And while IndyCar continues to throw darts at places with no racing history or limited interest, great, traditional layouts like Road America, Watkins Glen, Road Atlanta, Mosport and CoTA in Austin are ignored."

Road America...has no interest in IndyCar, and honestly it's a choice between them and the Milwaukee Mile? I'll take the oldest oval in the world.

The Glen is a fantastic venue, but I think they're quite content with Stock Cars.

Road Atlanta? ...Has never hosted an Indycar race. Ever. Formula Atlantics? Yes. Never an IndyCar race.

MoSport? um...Great venue, but uh, we run in Toronto already?

COTA? We'll see...

Keeping in mind what Mark Miles said at Media Day about these tracks...

Road 'Merica - Not gonna happen, too far north

Watkins Glen - Same, too far north

Road Atlanta - I could see this happening more than any other

MoSport - Only if Toronto can't happen

COTA - Over Eddie Gossage's dead body even though the proximity to TMS is a lame excuse

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 13, 2015

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Worst weekend for open wheel racing since the CART event at Texas

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

If any of them had a sponsor, IndyCar would run them in a heartbeat. IndyCar 'fans' and their loving fantasyland.

I'm as guilty as anyone wanting to go into IndyCar fantasy land as anyone here. But you know...you tap the brakes and realize that a lot of the things that everyone pines for is not going to happen for a long time.

Sport has some work to do, but it's on the right path.

go3 posted:

I wonder if someone has the footage for qualifications from that weekend. I've seen one bit of video with Adrian Fernandez doing it.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

go3 posted:

Oh I dunno, Surfers 02 was pretty bad... or Vegas 2011.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I do not think Mosport meets safety requirements for Indycar. I'd love to see an event there, it's also a really fast circuit and is fun to drive on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

gret posted:

He's a rookie in his, what, 3rd ever IndyCar race and in really challenging conditions. Based on his ladder series results he should be the next American IndyCar star so I'll cut him some slack.

He was bad in St.Pete and both Coletti in a Chevrolet and Chaves in a significantly less capable Honda have generally outdriven him. and those two spun out in a straight line and got stuck in the grass, respectively Dracone is also really bad but in his defense he had no buzz or hype and arguably drives the worst car on the grid.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 13, 2015

• Locked thread