Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I think they'd prefer you just bought these games again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Saoshyant posted:

This is the first one with U gamepad support isn't it? I wonder if they are bringing a system update that would make the disc version work the same way (maybe along with other games) or if this support is baked into the "rom", which would be dumb. So far all the Wii downloadable releases have been just a shortcut to launch an ISO from within vWii, AFAIK.

It supported the Classic Controller and Nintenod said that any game that supported the classic controller will support the gamepad. Sounds like it's something baked into their emulator package.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

If you're down about the Zelda delay, you should definitely buy Pandora's Tower! It's got some slightly esoteric mechanics but at its core is just a really good Zeldalike with no overworld but lots and lots of dungeons. On the side there's a pretty entertaining dating sim where you chat with your love, give her gifts, and decorate your temporary home. I never finished the game but I got pretty far and as far as I can tell it's not that hard to max out her affection gauge (which you do need to do for at least one ending) so you shouldn't let that stop you from enjoying the rest of the game.

Oh, and there's also a constant time pressure mechanic, I know some people are allergic to those so be warned. You need to carry best flesh from the tower back to the girl with regularity or your game's over, so you need to pace your expeditions to reasonable chunks.

The game is really poo poo with the Classic Controller though, there's a pointer mechanic so you just move the pointer with the right stick and it's way too slow and clumsy to do stuff. Make sure to have a wiimote.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Amppelix posted:

Oh, and there's also a constant time pressure mechanic, I know some people are allergic to those so be warned. You need to carry best flesh from the tower back to the girl with regularity or your game's over, so you need to pace your expeditions to reasonable chunks.

Don't let this intimidate you though. Exploration of the dungeons is all about opening up shortcuts to get back to deeper areas quickly, and flesh is really easy to obtain (by RIPPING IT out of every enemy) so the game has a pretty easy to handle rhythm to it, and there are obvious points to go back and reset your timer.

The one main criticism I have for the game is that for the best ending you're required to spend a not insignificant time grinding affinity with Elena. I wish they'd balanced it better so that a thorough player could get close to max affinity over the course of normal play. It's not too bad but at some point you will have to spend like half an hour just giving gifts and stuff. It's worth it though because the best ending is a lot more satisfying than the one immediately below it.

Amppelix you should finish the game, the last boss fight is incredible.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Oh, I would have finished it, the problem was that I moved away from the one WiiU I had access to. I might have to buy one finally whenever Zelda comes out.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's a trailer for Heart Beaten, one of this week's eShop games. I hadn't heard of it before now but it looks okay, think Warioware if all the games were about stomping on a dude's heart:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFakusXoxbs

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm sensing a hint of bitterness from that game.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It was made by Zoe Quinn's ex boyfriend.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

wait does streetpass plaza premium mean you can bring out VIPs to play without play coins

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I think that I am going to put some feelers out there... would anyone be interested in trading for my Platinum code? Every game under Platinum status I either have or don't care about except for Animal Crossing, but that is the type of game that requires more regular attention than I care to give it as I play mobile games sporadically. So, I think that I may want to trade it for two or three "lesser" games. I have already decided how to spend my coin hoard, but I am interested in F-Zero for the Wii U, Super Mario Deluxe for the 3DS (which is a gold reward), and a few others. Let me know if you are interested. I would say that the Platinum games are worth, roughly speaking, 600 or 700 coins and the Gold games are worth about 200, so I was hoping to do a three-for-one.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

JustJeff88 posted:

I think that I am going to put some feelers out there... would anyone be interested in trading for my Platinum code? Every game under Platinum status I either have or don't care about except for Animal Crossing, but that is the type of game that requires more regular attention than I care to give it as I play mobile games sporadically. So, I think that I may want to trade it for two or three "lesser" games. I have already decided how to spend my coin hoard, but I am interested in F-Zero for the Wii U, Super Mario Deluxe for the 3DS (which is a gold reward), and a few others. Let me know if you are interested. I would say that the Platinum games are worth, roughly speaking, 600 or 700 coins and the Gold games are worth about 200, so I was hoping to do a three-for-one.

Send me a PM, we may be able to work something out.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
3D Fantasy Zone 2 DX is out in NA/PAL-land this week, and here's the first Sega/M2 dev interview: http://blogs.sega.com/2015/04/13/sega-3d-classics-3d-fantasy-zone-ii-interview-part-1/

For those who don't know, Fantasy Zone 2 DX is a reimagined version of the SMS game that M2 developed for System-16 arcade hardware in 2008. The interview goes over the history of the game from SMS > System16 > PS2 > 3DS, the trials of making a game for ancient arcade hardware, the freedom they had when doing the 3DS version, etc.

While I'm here, Runbow has a new trailer showing off a bunch of guest characters: http://www.gamespot.com/videos/runbow-guest-character-trailer/2300-6424409/

Shovel Knight, Commander Video/Commandgirl Video, Rusty from Steamworld Dig, Juan/Tostida from Guacamelee, the cat from Scram Kiddy and some dude I didn't recognise that the internet says is from Sportsball.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

For those who don't know, Fantasy Zone 2 DX is a reimagined version of the SMS game that M2 developed for System-16 arcade hardware in 2008.

Could someone please explain what this means for those that don't know

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Manky posted:

The original Fantasy Zone was an arcade game that was ported to the Master System (and other systems). The sequel was made for just home systems and then ported to older arcade hardware. As a bonus for a PS2 release with many different Fantasy Zone games, M2 made a theoretical arcade version of the game, to see what it could have been on the better hardware of the time.

elf help book fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Apr 14, 2015

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Manky posted:

Sorry, I should have been more clear.

The original Fantasy Zone 2 was released for Sega Master System in 1987; unlike the original game, which started in arcades and moved to SMS, FZ2 was developed primarily for consoles and didn't really have an authentic arcade counterpart.

In 2008, Sega/M2 released a Fantasy Zone compilation for PS2 and as a bonus, they included a new "deluxe" version of Fantasy Zone 2 that had been reimagined for circa-1987 arcade hardware. It's not a stylistic homage like Shovel Knight or whatever, it literally runs on System-16 arcade hardware (with extra RAM, they cheated a little bit) and can be burned to a ROM, and the version included on that PS2 compilation is running under emulation.

Now, they've remade FZ2DX for 3DS, and this'll be the first official release outside Japan. This version is a port rather than an emulation, so they were able to make lots of tweaks and changes that weren't possible for the other 3D Classics releases because they're not bound by old emulator/hardware restrictions or unfamiliarity with the programming or whatever.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011

elf help book posted:

The original Fantasy Zone was an arcade game that was ported to the Master System (and other systems). The sequel was made for just home systems and then ported to older arcade hardware. As a bonus for a PS2 release with many different Fantasy Zone games, M2 made a theoretical arcade version of the game, to see what it could have been on the better hardware of the time.

Thanks for the help Elf.

I just wanted to make the bad joke

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
NA dudes, the Citizens of Earth patch is up now, apparently. Both systems.

NA is also getting A-Train 3DS today, instead of Thursday. $30.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

So I just realized that Nintendo of Australia still hasn't added the digital games to our stars catalog. Are they hoping they can get away with adding nothing to the catalog until our stars expire or something?

I sort of wish they would just fold Australia/NZ into Nintendo of Europe already, between their handling of Club Nintendo in it's entirety, especially its god awful site, and Nintendo Australia opting out of every second "buy something, get a game free" promotion, I don't think we'd be any worse off in comparison.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Crawfish posted:

I don't think we'd be any worse off in comparison.

You got the Nu3DS three months before the rest of the world? Always look on the bright side of life. *whistles*

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

Crawfish posted:

So I just realized that Nintendo of Australia still hasn't added the digital games to our stars catalog. Are they hoping they can get away with adding nothing to the catalog until our stars expire or something?

I sort of wish they would just fold Australia/NZ into Nintendo of Europe already, between their handling of Club Nintendo in it's entirety, especially its god awful site, and Nintendo Australia opting out of every second "buy something, get a game free" promotion, I don't think we'd be any worse off in comparison.

Love going into stores and finding EU copies of games on the shelf and just wondering what is the point of Nintendo of Australia?

For the most part their handling of poo poo hasn't been too bad apart from cost of games in comparison to other nations. I'm unsure if this has changed based on our current dollar. I gave up checking this out and just buy games during deals.

Sometime's they'll do something cool like the New 3DS or taking a localisation from Nintendo of Europe when America doesn't want a slice of it. Or vice versa.

I already don't care about what titles they'll offer for coins, it'll probably be similar to Europe.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

elf help book posted:

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Sorry, I should have been more clear.

The original Fantasy Zone 2 was released for Sega Master System in 1987; unlike the original game, which started in arcades and moved to SMS, FZ2 was developed primarily for consoles and didn't really have an authentic arcade counterpart.

In 2008, Sega/M2 released a Fantasy Zone compilation for PS2 and as a bonus, they included a new "deluxe" version of Fantasy Zone 2 that had been reimagined for circa-1987 arcade hardware. It's not a stylistic homage like Shovel Knight or whatever, it literally runs on System-16 arcade hardware (with extra RAM, they cheated a little bit) and can be burned to a ROM, and the version included on that PS2 compilation is running under emulation.

Now, they've remade FZ2DX for 3DS, and this'll be the first official release outside Japan. This version is a port rather than an emulation, so they were able to make lots of tweaks and changes that weren't possible for the other 3D Classics releases because they're not bound by old emulator/hardware restrictions or unfamiliarity with the programming or whatever.

Thank you! I am kinda interested now.

Edit: Runbow looks pretty cool too.

Manky fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Apr 14, 2015

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

You got the Nu3DS three months before the rest of the world? Always look on the bright side of life. *whistles*
I mean, that was a pretty sweet deal.

woofbro posted:

I already don't care about what titles they'll offer for coins, it'll probably be similar to Europe.
While I agree that the PAL selection was poo poo, I'd like SOMETHING to spend my coins on. At this point it looks like i'll be getting three of those mario hats.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They're gonna offer up one last round of Wii SNES pads on the final day and the site will immediately crash, keeping anyone from getting anything.

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.
But Australia's a whole continent. That surely requires a whole separate wing of Nintendo to manage, right? :v:

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

South Africa is handled by Nintendo of Europe, which I always found kinda amusing.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Cat Machine posted:

South Africa is handled by Nintendo of Europe, which I always found kinda amusing.

In South Africa they speak Afrikaans... which is closely related to Dutch... which is a European language.

That makes perfect sense hoorayproblemsolvedgoodbye!

Edit: I actually remember Fantasy Zone from both the arcade and the Master System. Looking forward to it - instant buy for me.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 14, 2015

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Speaking of 3D Classics, Sega just announced that 3D Sonic 2, 3D Streets of Rage 2, and motherfucking 3D GUNSTAR HEROES are coming this summer.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Discount Viscount posted:

Speaking of 3D Classics, Sega just announced that 3D Sonic 2, 3D Streets of Rage 2, and motherfucking 3D GUNSTAR HEROES are coming this summer.

:gizz:

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

motherfucking 3D GUNSTAR HEROES
DUDE

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

For North America? Portable SoR2 is all I've wanted since 3DS VC became a thing but Gunstar Heroes 3D is icing on the cake

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

There's nothing about this I don't like.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Do the 3D Sega games every go on sale on the NA eShop? I want to buy them all.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
The 4 things I ever wanted from the Sega 3D Classics series were Gunstar Heroes, Streets of Rage II, Phantasy Star IV, and Shadow Dancer. My dreams are coming half-true.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Holy poo poo you're all so wrong, this is the highlight right here.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Froist posted:

Holy poo poo you're all so wrong, this is the highlight right here.

But it's not going to have the new stages from the mobile version!

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

All three of those sound fantastic. We're finally past all the "well these are classics so we need to do them first" bullshit and can get to the good games.

NES Remix 2 knows what's up.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Wait Xenoblade 3D is out? gently caress me I still have to finish the Wii version :negative: I've also had a sealed copy of Pandora's Tower sitting on my shelf for a year I never touched, come on man.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

C-Euro posted:

Wait Xenoblade 3D is out? gently caress me I still have to finish the Wii version :negative: I've also had a sealed copy of Pandora's Tower sitting on my shelf for a year I never touched, come on man.

I'm now sure if those thoughts are related, but Xenoblade 3D is the same as the Wii version, so if you're playing that one, you can skip the 3D version.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

My sentiments exactly. I absolutely adored what they did with Shinobi III so I'm looking forward to how they handle these games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Fremry posted:

Xenoblade 3D is the same as the Wii version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxMAvccDHag