Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Skyl3lazer posted:

As a control player, the opening die roll seriously does often decide a match against RDW. I kind of wonder if WotC thinks that's a good thing or if they think that means RDW or control are in a bad place.
Is your plan against RDW really to try and win G1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Irony Be My Shield posted:

If you tune your main deck to be better against aggro then other control decks it's certainly possible. In this meta it seems like you'll have to plan on aggro game 1.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That's a fair point. It kindof seems like a rock-paper-scissors metagame in general, the challenge will be to design your deck so that it can perform well against multiple archetypes.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Irony Be My Shield posted:

"Scoop game 1 and try to win the next two" isn't exactly a winning strategy regardless of how stacked your sideboard is. The PT control decks (well, the winning ones, at least) were set up in a such a way as to make them big favourites against midrange, accepting a rather poor fast-aggro matchup to achieve that. This is a meta call (basically predicting that aggro would be pushed out by the midrange decks), but it would be a huge mistake to make the same call when picking a deck for a more local tournament.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Thinking of taking RDW to Gameday with 4x Searing Blood main board and just [have a great matchup against] the mirror....

Edited.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Apr 13, 2015

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Thinking of taking RDW to Gameday with 4x Searing Blood main board and just rape the mirror....

Stop that nonsense dude.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mcmagic posted:

Thinking of taking RDW to Gameday with 4x Searing Blood main board and just COOLWORD the mirror....

I thought you knew better than to use the COOLWORD.

Gameday is the 19th, right?

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

mcmagic posted:

Thinking of taking RDW to Gameday with 4x Searing Blood main board and just rape the mirror....

:cripes:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Count Bleck posted:

I thought you knew better than to use the COOLWORD.

Gameday is the 19th, right?

18th and 19th?

Madmarker posted:

Stop that nonsense dude.

Really? Are we really that sensitive? I'm clearly not talking about actual rape here...

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Saturday and Sunday, yeah. I'm gonna take RDW wins too. Don't think I'll be able to splash for green though.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

mcmagic posted:

18th and 19th?

Really? Are we really that sensitive? I'm clearly not talking about actual rape here...

You're a loving idiot.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

En Fuego posted:

You're a loving idiot.

Sigh...

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

En Fuego posted:

You're a loving idiot.

Of all the dumb poo poo McMagic says you focus on this? Stop the fake outrage. Stop trying to be offended by everything. Jesus christ.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Sickening posted:

Of all the dumb poo poo McMagic says you focus on this? Stop the fake outrage. Stop trying to be offended by everything. Jesus christ.

No. gently caress that. Don't use that loving term. How hard is it to be a reasonable human being? Grab a thesaurus and get educated.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
McMagic: The McGathering: McMegathread: I'm Not Talking about Actual Rape

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Sickening posted:

How about we don't compare a thing that happens in a friendly game with sexual violence?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

En Fuego posted:

No. gently caress that. Don't use that loving term. How hard is it to be a reasonable human being? Grab a thesaurus and get educated.

I had no intention of starting this dumb argument. I was just making a post about gameday this weekend and this is the last i'm going to address this sidetrack but you're a overly sensitive douchebag who is willfully ignoring context in order to be fake outraged by a completely non offensive post.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

mcmagic posted:

Most people who play magic are very weird, or assholes or both. I don't think there is anything unique about the way women are treated at magic shops that is any different from the times myself or friends of mine have been treated badly.

mcmagic posted:

rape rape rape rape rape rape rape rape rape rape rape rape rape rape rape rape rape rape rape rape rape rape rape

GEE WILLIKERS GUYS, WHY DON'T GIRLS LIKE PLAYING SWEET WIZARD POKER WITH US?

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
See the last few posts for a good example of why I'm embarrassed to tell people in public that I even know what MTG is.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Sickening posted:

gently caress you dude, I have friends and relatives who have been victims of that poo poo. I work in a field where I see victims of that poo poo frequently as well. I don't want to have to deal with fuckwits using the term as if it is some meaningless bullshit. I don't have to manufacture offense for something which is inherently offensive.

mcmagic posted:

I had no intention of starting this dumb argument. I was just making a post about gameday this weekend and this is the last i'm going to address this sidetrack but you're a overly sensitive douchebag who is willfully ignoring context in order to be fake outraged by a completely non offensive post.

There is no amount of context that makes that an acceptable term, outside of describing the actual action and event. It's like saying you totally lynched that guy with your Red Deck Wins deck. Its offensive. Don't be a dick.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 13, 2015

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

I had no intention of perpetuating this dumb argument. I was just making a post about how your word choice is less than desirable because it compares a crime to a game but you're an overly sensitive douchebag who is willfully ignoring context in order to be fake outraged by a series of actual outrage posts.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

It's you. You're the person Gaby Spartz wrote the article about.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
I'm thinking of making an effort to head up to Charlotte in June for the GP, but I've little experience in Modern. It looks like the deck I'll probably be building is Burn, as it's cheap, fun, and definitely a strong contender in the meta. The thing is, though, between my friend and I we pretty much have all the stuff for creatureless burn. Does anyone have any experience with the deck, and can verify whether there are any pros or cons to running the usual creatures with burn? I know Goblin Guide and Eidolon are pretty sweet on their own and are obviously well suited in the deck, but if I don't need them for the deck to work perfectly well then I may just forego them for now.

I'd ask this question in the Burn thread for Modern on MTGS, but.....no.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

mcmagic posted:

Because you seem to be a guy that plays Magic, as a Judge, I'm going to give you a hint. I could give you at least a Warning for USC - Minor, just for saying the word, and it's not a stretch to go to USC - Major (penalty is Match Loss), just for that. With your "Really? Are we really that sensitive?" response, that can go up to a DQ, because, and I quote the IPG here, "If the offense was committed with malicious intent, the player displays no remorse, or the offense is repeated at a later time, the penalty is upgraded to Disqualification and removal from the venue."

Yes, the DQ is a stretch, but if you'd said what you just did in a tournament, I wouldn't be surprised if you were looking at a Match Loss. That poo poo is Not OK.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

With my new sideboard I'm going to lynch some darkies

e: I had no intention of being called racist when I wrote this post

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

InterrupterJones posted:

I'm thinking of making an effort to head up to Charlotte in June for the GP, but I've little experience in Modern. It looks like the deck I'll probably be building is Burn, as it's cheap, fun, and definitely a strong contender in the meta. The thing is, though, between my friend and I we pretty much have all the stuff for creatureless burn. Does anyone have any experience with the deck, and can verify whether there are any pros or cons to running the usual creatures with burn? I know Goblin Guide and Eidolon are pretty sweet on their own and are obviously well suited in the deck, but if I don't need them for the deck to work perfectly well then I may just forego them for now.

Burn without Goblin Guide would be awful and pointless.

Imagine a burn spell that said R: 4 damage to target player. You're basically forgoing that a good portion of the time by not running the Guide.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Lottery of Babylon posted:

This will go great in my all Harold McNeil Artwork EDH Deck.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

mcmagic posted:

No, he isn't. Your a greasy loving neckbeard who thinks its ok to use rape because I don't really mean it right guys? Its just us bro's talking here. it isn't ok, not on the internet, not at the local store, not if there are no girls around or if there are. It isn't ok at all.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Lottery of Babylon posted:

4x

+

4x

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

InterrupterJones posted:

I'd say that if you go creatureless, you should consider splashing either green or white for destructive revelry or wear/tear in the board, since without creatures you just scoop to leyline of sanctity.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Starving Autist posted:

I'd say that if you go creatureless, you should consider splashing either green or white for destructive revelry or wear/tear in the board, since without creatures you just scoop to leyline of sanctity.

I'd say he shouldn't go creatureless at all, it's the creatures that finally managed to put burn on the map.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

InterrupterJones posted:

You need Eidolon and Guide. Guide is almost always R deal 4 dmg to target player. It is better than lightning bolt a great majority of the time. Also, it has the joy of sucking their removal out, then you slam the eidolon and they can often be 100% screwed. Eidolon is the greatest thing to happen to burn in a long time, it is why its tier 1.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Starving Autist posted:

The thing is Goblin Guide doesn't really keep you from losing to leyline since it's so incredibly unlikely to do more than 4 points of damage.

Basically this shouldn't be a consideration. Goblin Guide isn't really in the deck because the pilot is afraid of losing to leyline.

(Just play goblin guide)

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

mcmagic posted:

Even if that wasn't your intent, it's still something you should never, ever casually joke about, especially when there are a billion other words that you can use.

Skyl3lazer posted:

As a control player, the opening die roll seriously does often decide a match against RDW. I kind of wonder if WotC thinks that's a good thing or if they think that means RDW or control are in a bad place.

I mentioned it earlier, but game 1 against Control really is important for the RDW player because you get to bring in Bile Blight, Drown in Sorrows, etc. (or at least max out on them) in games 2 and 3.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Burn without Goblin Guide would be awful and pointless.

Imagine a burn spell that said R: 4 damage to target player. You're basically forgoing that a good portion of the time by not running the Guide.

That's what I was thinking. I guess he's just too good at his job not to include.

Starving Autist posted:

That's the idea. It won't be straight burn, most likely RW/g to have Charms, Keening Appartions, etc. Might even have to include Deflecting Palm if I see enough Emrakuls being Through the Breach'd. :getin:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

InterrupterJones posted:

That's the idea. It won't be straight burn, most likely RW/g to have Charms, Keening Appartions, etc. Might even have to include Deflecting Palm if I see enough Emrakuls being Through the Breach'd. :getin:

The problem with getting cute with too many non-proactive cards is you just put more mulligans in your deck. When you have cards that don't just read do 3 damage or do 4 damage you're really cutting into the critical mass part of the deck.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah in Burn you pretty much want every single spell in your deck to just deal damage to your opponent. Otherwise you just don't get there.

bhsman posted:

I mentioned it earlier, but game 1 against Control really is important for the RDW player because you get to bring in Bile Blight, Drown in Sorrows, etc. (or at least max out on them) in games 2 and 3.
I liked the Outpost Siege plan, sadly Dromoka's Command sortof ruins it.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Deflecting Palm would probably be only a 2-of in the side anyway. It's settled then, time to invest in some creatures.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

InterrupterJones posted:

Deflecting Palm would probably be only a 2-of in the side anyway. It's settled then, time to invest in some creatures.

Neat, it's very possible Goblin Guide will get reprinted in MM2015 so keep that in mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Neat, it's very possible Goblin Guide will get reprinted in MM2015 so keep that in mind

Or Battle for Zendikar.

• Locked thread