Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Flesh Forge posted:

Meanwhile we establish that no, Vision absolutely does not have 'junk'.

What do you think that big pink thing is in that first tube?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
His pancreas? Byrne is super blunt about showing his unclothed groin, I'm pretty sure it was a point he was trying to make (robot/no soul/no weenie)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Man.

Kind of a jerk thing as far as writing out a character goes, but otoh, creating an artificial human down to the point where you had a robo weenie able to produce kids with Wanda was also kind of weird.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

That's not really the point, what's weird is that Byrne felt that strongly about showing you 100% no doubts NO GOD DAMMIT HE DOES NOT HAVE JUNK :colbert:

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Those are some really powerful pages, and reading them out of context you'd think the logical end of the story would have the Vision shown to have a soul and humanity despite the lengths gone to dehumanize him. But I guess Byrne gotta Byrne.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Superstring posted:

Those are some really powerful pages, and reading them out of context you'd think the logical end of the story would have the Vision shown to have a soul and humanity despite the lengths gone to dehumanize him. But I guess Byrne gotta Byrne.

Definitely. It'd be like having a person stripped bare down to the smallest possible point.

Very unsettling panels.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Superstring posted:

Also do this
Avengers West Coast #51

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Really, given the choice, who among us would not choose babyhands as the best superpower :allears:

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Flesh Forge posted:

Really, given the choice, who among us would not choose babyhands as the best superpower :allears:

Isn't there a bit later where the hands beat the poo poo out of him?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bobkatt013 posted:

Also do this
Avengers West Coast #51

There's also a page where Wanda gradually drowns in/is colonized by this sinister, intelligent black sludge. I can't find it in GIS, but it creeped me out back then.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

prefect posted:

There's also a page where Wanda gradually drowns in/is colonized by this sinister, intelligent black sludge. I can't find it in GIS, but it creeped me out back then.

My browsing history is weird(er) now, because of this.

West Coast Avengers 44

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Could have really done without those last two words.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

We certainly could have. I don't think that Byrne could, though.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Flesh Forge posted:

Meanwhile we establish that no, Vision absolutely does not have 'junk'.

Flesh Forge posted:

That's not really the point, what's weird is that Byrne felt that strongly about showing you 100% no doubts NO GOD DAMMIT HE DOES NOT HAVE JUNK :colbert:

You guys kiddin' me? Second tank from the left, buddy.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Senor Candle posted:

Could have really done without those last two words.

Considering her mouth is shown to be open and clear it's pretty hard to misinterpret that, yeah.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

crying robots are the least badass things unless they are japanese and have long scarves

Legacy of Luther Strode #1

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Man Samson just wanted to chill and instead he had to show all those people what asses they were.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
From reading the first volume and most of the second, I think the Luther Strode books really are at their best when there isn't dialogue going on. Tradd Moore carries them so much.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Not really surprising. Justin Jordan's an okay writer, but Tradd Moore's a phenomenal artist.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Strode harkens back to when Ultraviolence comics started gaining traction in the 90s. Same kind of 'holy gently caress!' Moments as when opening the latest SpawnF.O.R.C.E

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I think Jordan's a bit more self-aware of what he's putting out than BLOODSHIT writers in the 90s.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Hulk Smash! posted:

My browsing history is weird(er) now, because of this.

West Coast Avengers 44

West Coast Avengers was basically Steve Englehart and John Byrne's retirement home where they wrote and illustrated with their hands in their pants. It's a deeply mediocre superhero comic and not in the fun way, with lots of off-putting stuff like this.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

I think Jordan's a bit more self-aware of what he's putting out than BLOODSHIT writers in the 90s.

Still really upset that last Bloodshit issue never came out.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm sure Mad! will get to it once he's done with his Battlechasers reboot.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lightning Lord posted:

West Coast Avengers was basically Steve Englehart and John Byrne's retirement home where they wrote and illustrated with their hands in their pants. It's a deeply mediocre superhero comic and not in the fun way, with lots of off-putting stuff like this.

Fun fact: I collected WCA from the first issue and regular avengers from a little after the beginning of the Stern run. I dropped them both when Byrne started writing them. Of course at that age, I just picked stuff up at the local store or wherever, and I didn't follow who was writing. 12 year old me was like "man Avengers sure got crappy."

Creamfilled
May 11, 2007

???

Four Score posted:

If that was a meatbag being vivisected, no way that would have made it onto the shelves. Robo-racism in action, my friends.

I give you these two pages from X-treme Xmen #7 as an extremely creepy and unsettling rebuttal!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Kurt Waggoner? Is he a whitebread dude from Denver in that version?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's a reasonable translation of Wagner

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
This might take a little explanation so I'll fill in gaps as I go...

Inhuman #8: Black Bolt and Maximus have been MIA since the events of Infinity. Queen Medusa has sent out a crew to find them.

(The guy in the suit is Frank McGee, a former NYPD detective who just recently got turned into an Inhuman by the terrigen cloud. Now he has glowing eyes and the ability to shoot light blasts. He's kinda mad about the whole thing since last issue Maximus used Black Bolt as a weapon to kill his partner.)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Oh! That's lovely.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

thatinfernalpigeon posted:

I give you these two pages from X-treme Xmen #7 as an extremely creepy and unsettling rebuttal!

Is that Aeon Flux with the eyepiece? :raise:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

FredMSloniker posted:

Is that Aeon Flux with the eyepiece? :raise:

Claremont's pet X-Lady, Sage.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I thought Danger was friends with the X-Men now

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Travis343 posted:

I thought Danger was friends with the X-Men now

Danger is a member of X-Factor. But that's an old issue and I believe a completely different Danger.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Deadpool posted:

Danger is a member of X-Factor. But that's an old issue and I believe a completely different Danger.
That particular run of X-Treme X-Men was basically Exiles with a different name, so that's an alternate reality Danger.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
There was one member from 616, the rest were all alternate reality types. Kurt Waggoner was an American-born teenage Nightcrawler from a reality where humanity had been wiped out in a robot uprising, hence that scene. There was also James Howlett from a reality where he was an officer of some Canadian service, and his bones were plated with adamantine, the metal of the gods from Greek mythology, which turned out to be a gift from his secret boyfriend, Hercules.

They were the most adorable and badass bears in comic book history, and it was sad to see the series end.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

TwoPair posted:

This might take a little explanation so I'll fill in gaps as I go...

Inhuman #8: Black Bolt and Maximus have been MIA since the events of Infinity. Queen Medusa has sent out a crew to find them.

(The guy in the suit is Frank McGee, a former NYPD detective who just recently got turned into an Inhuman by the terrigen cloud. Now he has glowing eyes and the ability to shoot light blasts. He's kinda mad about the whole thing since last issue Maximus used Black Bolt as a weapon to kill his partner.)

Uh when does this happen in relation to NA? Maximus looked all right with the Cabal and they're not even in our universe anymore

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Uh when does this happen in relation to NA? Maximus looked all right with the Cabal and they're not even in our universe anymore

Before the 8 months jump.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Red Sonja #1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

That would be so much better without any dialogue.