Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
If you don't think Reiji is going to get absolutely destroyed by his father, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

VJeff posted:

If you don't think Reiji is going to get absolutely destroyed by his father, lol.

It hasn't happened yet, so therefore, this duel solidifies Reiji as a mary sue, and so from Ep. 51 onwards shall he be known as such until he suffers an actual loss.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Slur posted:

It hasn't happened yet, so therefore, this duel solidifies Reiji as a mary sue, and so from Ep. 51 onwards shall he be known as such until he suffers an actual loss.
mary sue is a dumb term and you're a dumb person for using it, especially in this situation

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Endorph posted:

mary sue is a dumb term and you're a dumb person for using it, especially in this situation

Okay, so why is it a dumb term, how am I dumb person for using it, and how is it exceptional that I used it in this situation?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

A) because characters have specific roles in stories that they're expected to fulfill and 'mary sue' doesn't really mean anything. if a character is being built up as unbeatable then they could be being built up so the protagonist can defeat him, they could be being built up so a later antagonist can defeat them to establish how big a threat they are, they could be being built up like that to drive home the point that the protagonist *isn't* the strongest person in the story, or even multiple of those. I don't think winning 2 card games in a show about card games means that the writers are in love with them and will never let them fail. His record is 2 wins, 1 draw, and 1 that we don't see the result of, it's not like he's constantly stomping on every single main character, he just beat the protagonist - something that's happened to every protagonist. Also some random eyepatch dude. if you're dissatisfied with the way Reiji is being written or don't like the character then that's fine but 'grr mary sue!!' means about jack and poo poo.

B) see above

C) see above

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Mar(t)y S(t)ues are terribly competent do-no-wrong, oh-so-perfect types that never get questioned by the cast, and everyone inexplicably loves them, and are just great because they are.
Reiji is not a mary sue, an archetypal prodigy character sure but definitely not a mary sue.

D) also the above.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Endorph posted:

A) because characters have specific roles in stories that they're expected to fulfill and 'mary sue' doesn't really mean anything. if a character is being built up as unbeatable then they could be being built up so the protagonist can defeat him, they could be being built up so a later antagonist can defeat them to establish how big a threat they are, they could be being built up like that to drive home the point that the protagonist *isn't* the strongest person in the story, or even multiple of those. I don't think winning 2 card games in a show about card games means that the writers are in love with them and will never let them fail. His record is 2 wins, 1 draw, and 1 that we don't see the result of, it's not like he's constantly stomping on every single main character, he just beat the protagonist - something that's happened to every protagonist. Also some random eyepatch dude. if you're dissatisfied with the way Reiji is being written or don't like the character then that's fine but 'grr mary sue!!' means about jack and poo poo.

B) see above

C) see above

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Mar(t)y S(t)ues are terribly competent do-no-wrong, oh-so-perfect types that never get questioned by the cast, and everyone inexplicably loves them, and are just great because they are.
Reiji is not a mary sue, an archetypal prodigy character sure but definitely not a mary sue.

D) also the above.

I'll concede to to the point that the story isn't completed yet, so I can't judge what he is being built up to be, but we are 51 episodes in and there seems to be nothing challenging Reiji's vices on a serious level, despite him being the overarching "leader of the good guys". I claim him to be a mary sue because he has had no serious threats placed at his front doorstep (as of yet), and any morality or power which may challenge his own (greater or otherwise) seems to be tossed to the side for the sake of saying "well I win because I'm Reiji Akaba, almighty planner of plans!". Endorph is right though to say that I really am getting ahead of myself.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Mary Sue is something that is also almost exclusive to fanwork. Part of the definition is that they bend the story around themselves, they make other characters behave in ridiculous ways around them.

Like the namesake Mary Sue was a ~special~ 16 year old with a tragic past who got to work on the bridge of the Enterprise, and the captain and crew loved her so much they literally couldn't do their jobs, consulted her on everything etc.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

51 episodes is a lifetime in most series but this is Yu-Gi-Oh. We're maybe 1/3rd of the way through. Character arcs are going to be slow. By this point in the original series, Joey was just starting to be a legitimate duelist instead of a guy who won with Time Wizard sometimes.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Tsukikage has won all his duels, wow, mary sue much?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The last two episodes have basically been Yuya screaming "gently caress YOU, gently caress YOU, gently caress YOU!" at Reiji over and over, how can you say nobody's challenging his vices. Yuya losing doesn't suddenly stop all of his incredibly accurate callouts of Reiji from being right.

Having said that, I would've liked somebody to have called him out for that retarded intrusion penalty.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Didn't his butler dad tell him something about that? or was it just "why don't we send actual grown adults to this fight instead of the literally smallest children we could afford?"

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Reiji's response was that adult duelists are like, too set in their ways and can't adjust to using Pendulum Summon or adjust to actual combat because they've led soft, cushy, LDS lives. Or something like that? He says it after Yugo wipes out Obelisk Force.

He might have a point there because Kurosaki was absolutely destroying LDS' teachers and their top team without breaking a sweat, apparently. But on the other hand, Shuzo used Pendulum Summoning just fine.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Kuroasaki was destroying LDS teachers? I don't remember that at all :psyduck: When was that said?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

paradoxGentleman posted:

Kuroasaki was destroying LDS teachers? I don't remember that at all :psyduck: When was that said?

Remember, before he was working for Reiji? Kurosaki basically cut a swath through LDS' personnel, he defeated Marco the fusion instructor and like four guys from their top team.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

You gotta remember that Sawatari, Gongenzaka and Tsukikage are the only good guys in the team, every one else is a murderer or slightly psycho.

VJeff posted:

Reiji's response was that adult duelists are like, too set in their ways and can't adjust to using Pendulum Summon or adjust to actual combat because they've led soft, cushy, LDS lives. Or something like that? He says it after Yugo wipes out Obelisk Force.

He might have a point there because Kurosaki was absolutely destroying LDS' teachers and their top team without breaking a sweat, apparently. But on the other hand, Shuzo used Pendulum Summoning just fine.

Yeah, thematically it all fits with the show being about oppressors vs rebels/pioneers, and people that have it made want to keep as that by setting the rules, i.e. the teachers of LDS (and Shuzo doesn't fall in this since his school gets the hit of summoning methods being hard to get into if you're not from LDS or a specialty duel school) and pro duelists aren't willing to create a new method or explore it, just follow up on what they know, so they wouldn't question the "rules" of the game and challenge its flow with Pendulum. Just, y'know, it's a card game so it should be easy as hell to do it and any adult would use pendulums and fight better than a bunch of now-dead kids but that's thinking about stuff realistically and the show is against that.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 12, 2015

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The thing about Arc-V and, honestly, ANY good Yu-Gi-Oh series that you've gotta keep in mind is that it sits on this really weird precipice between the cards being literal and them just being a metaphor for any other form of anime combat you wanna substitute - fist fights, swordfights, giant robot fights, whatever. Yuzu's Fusion Summoning lessons are a really good example of this - at first, she's loving up so bad that she's putting her Fusion Monsters in her main deck, which is something that NOBODY in the real game over the age of 10 is gonna do. Then, later on, when she gets it, she summons a ridiculously good monster like Bloom Diva out of nowhere. Where did it come from? Doesn't matter - it's a metaphor for her mastering what Sora taught her.

Another example, it's really hard to not balk at "Well I'm a 40 year old man and I have no clue how to Fusion/Xyz/Synchro Summon in this card game intended for children." but when they do that, they're not literally talking about being unable to stack one card on top of another, it's like asking a guy why he's not a kung fu master when he's never even watched a kung fu movie in his life.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Yeah, I know, for all intents and purposes Pendulum Summon is tai-kwan-do and Fusion is Karate or something, and getting a teacher of XYZ course to pull one of those is like asking a Capoeira master to learn another art in a few days. In that mentality it works well, and I don't question it or let it detriment my enjoyment of the show, just it'll never stop being funny that these advanced arts, these skills that allow for the big finisher moves that are ace monsters, are just trading cards you place on a techno mat.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

You gotta remember that Sawatari, Gongenzaka and Tsukikage are the only good guys in the team, every one else is a murderer or slightly psycho.

Sawatari nearly killed three children to steal cards from Yuya, and Tsukikage's a blank right now. In fact, the Lancers currently are...

-Their leader, a ruthless man who will gladly sacrifice teenagers to prove the enemy's strength, despite knowing fully well they will die and accomplish nothing, after lying to them and telling them that they do stand a chance
-A good guy with a berserk psycho side that can take over at any moment and has the power to create ever-more-powerful weapons that defy how the worlds work
-An ex-Academia soldier who wished her entire life to get into wars and is willing to defy orders to do so
-The very personification of manliness
-A murderer obsessed with revenge who will stop at nothing to get his sister back
-A hired mercenary who might only be in it for the money
-A rich jerkass who has put children in danger for self-centered and petty goals
-A spy from the faction the Lancers are fighting against
-A broken child who hardly shows any emotion and might be almost as powerful as his brother, the leader of the Lancers

Our heroes, ladies and gentlemen.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Sawatari nearly killed three children to steal cards from Yuya, and Tsukikage's a blank right now. In fact, the Lancers currently are...

-Their leader, a ruthless man who will gladly sacrifice teenagers to prove the enemy's strength, despite knowing fully well they will die and accomplish nothing, after lying to them and telling them that they do stand a chance
-A good guy with a berserk psycho side that can take over at any moment and has the power to create ever-more-powerful weapons that defy how the worlds work
-An ex-Academia soldier who wished her entire life to get into wars and is willing to defy orders to do so
-A murderer obsessed with revenge who will stop at nothing to get his sister back
-A rich jerkass who has put children in danger for self-centered and petty goals
-A broken child who hardly shows any emotion and might be almost as powerful as his brother, the leader of the Lancers

Arc V is really good.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yeah, sure, maybe they're all psychos and killers, BUT.

Just lookit those egaos. :unsmith:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Okay you might have a point, nobody that smiles like Tsukikage can really be trusted. (And I legit forgot that Sawatari had put those kids in actual danger in his first duel, thought his worst crime was being a bit of a dick. Still that makes them second purest morale-wise in the team)

Gongenzaka is the purest dude, then. Kinda fitting that he's the only one wearing white.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

VJeff posted:

I don't watch this show but the guy on the bottom right killed, at minimum, five people

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Blaze Dragon posted:

Isn't Reiji like...18? He's not that much older than the rest of the class. He's just the only one classified as "youth" instead of "junior youth".

Anime ageism, ladies and gentlemen! :downsbravo:

Edit:
Even better!
vvvvvvvvvvvvvv

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 13, 2015

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

Isn't Reiji like...18? He's not that much older than the rest of the class. He's just the only one classified as "youth" instead of "junior youth".

Anime ageism, ladies and gentlemen! :downsbravo:

16, actually.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

VJeff posted:

I admit, those are some very nice egaos. If there was a wallpaper from those two images I'd use it (mostly because I'm bored of my current one, but also because just looking at them there makes me smile)

TheKingofSprings posted:

I don't watch this show but the guy on the bottom right killed, at minimum, five people

Possibly. He is a mercenary for hire, who knows what he's done in his shady past.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Plant Princess is a super fun deck.

Rose Lover + Rose Paladin are kind of crazy and Lonefire Blossom at 3 is a super weird thing.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Dexie posted:

Plant Princess is a super fun deck.

Rose Lover + Rose Paladin are kind of crazy and Lonefire Blossom at 3 is a super weird thing.

Can I see a deck list so I know what you're talking about?

Slur fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Apr 13, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

VJeff posted:

Remember, before he was working for Reiji? Kurosaki basically cut a swath through LDS' personnel, he defeated Marco the fusion instructor and like four guys from their top team.

My brain short-circuited and I thought you were referring to Sawatari for some reason. :)

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Watched the episode subbed, Yuya got his poo poo stomped HARD

EDIT: also Reiji is a dick to his allies. "I know exactly what happened to Yuzu, but I wont actually tell you because that would require me being a decent human being"

Onmi fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Apr 13, 2015

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It was pretty clear from his inner monologue and end of the episode "did you gather the data" spiel that he was just being a dick to get Pendulum-XYZ on file and Yuya to calm down.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
80 percent of Reiji's elite force are either apathetic toward him or don't like him at all, and they haven't even had their first real mission yet. Is he even gonna make it to his dad?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Justin_Brett posted:

80 percent of Reiji's elite force are either apathetic toward him or don't like him at all, and they haven't even had their first real mission yet. Is he even gonna make it to his dad?

I think Shun is ok with him at least. Because they both really want to gently caress up Academia.

Also from what i've seen he does some pretty great Jojo poses this episode so I think he's alright.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Apr 13, 2015

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well the main cast of the first series is all 15-17, including Kaiba.
So it's been strong all the way through.

At least GX's ages made sense since they were actually shown in school more than a handful of times in the beginning.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

So I installed DevPro in my shiny new computer, and made a new D/D/D deck, ready to try the new cards in that archetype.

In the first duel, my Covenant with the Swamp King fails to summon D'Arc. Why? From what I can tell, because the second set of D/D cards does not have the slash separating the slashes, so the game thinks it's a separate set.

This cannot be working as intended, can it?

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Last night was a treat, where I fought literally every deck in existence bar Ice Barriers. It was pretty darn fun.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Slur posted:

Last night was a treat, where I fought literally every deck in existence bar Ice Barriers. It was pretty darn fun.

Worm, Alien, Gradius...it really was a stream to behold.

I still say you should've kept playing, the next duel was surely Ice Barriers or Ally of Justice.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Cyber Dragons are a dumb deck. Cyber Dragon Infinity isn't a problem to deal with, the real strength of the deck comes from a Chimeratech Rampage Dragon summoned via Power Bond. Ugh.

Slur posted:

Can I see a deck list so I know what you're talking about?
Sure, but keep in mind that this deck is by no means complete. I threw it together in like, five minutes, and I'm still making changes to it.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Blaze Dragon posted:

Worm, Alien, Gradius...it really was a stream to behold.

I still say you should've kept playing, the next duel was surely Ice Barriers or Ally of Justice.

Wait a loving second

What variant was? Gol'gar control? It used A-counters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Wait a loving second

What variant was? Gol'gar control? It used A-counters?

It tried to use A-counters. It failed miserably.