Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Snowman_McK posted:

What leaks are those, sorry?

That he's a baddie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Snowman_McK posted:

What leaks are those, sorry?

It actually looks like a decent, fun ride. Those photos were so loving awful, though, that they rather poisoned the well.

They were posted earlier in the thread, I think some Russian (?) got ahold of a script and gave a synopsis.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
To go on a bit more, I think that leak (plus the review that the one guy made) was that in addition John Connor is set to be a bad guy in the film, too

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Matt Smith is part of Connor's team when they find the time machine. Reese gets ready to go back in time and just as the machine is activated Matt Smith turns into a swirling cloud of nano-terminators and kills everyone in the room except Connor who he half infects and makes a zombie nano-terminator himself. The main villain of the entire new saga is Connor the zombie nano-terminator. Matt Smith/Connor may or may not be actual Skynet given physical form as a cloud of CGI nano-terminators.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
It certainly explains who they cast for John Connor given that I think what's his name is a terrible choice but he's got that 'tough action guy' persona and the 'star power' for a few more films.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

JediTalentAgent posted:

Reviving thread after a month of zero activity for a new trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Xt5tZyrMZI

JK Simmons getting some screentime in the new trailer. Looks like he might be the comic relief
Only if he throws a chair at her and asks if she's rushing or if she's dragging.

(And/or if he tells her to make him a combustable lemon.)

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

PriorMarcus posted:

Matt Smith is part of Connor's team when they find the time machine. Reese gets ready to go back in time and just as the machine is activated Matt Smith turns into a swirling cloud of nano-terminators and kills everyone in the room except Connor who he half infects and makes a zombie nano-terminator himself. The main villain of the entire new saga is Connor the zombie nano-terminator. Matt Smith/Connor may or may not be actual Skynet given physical form as a cloud of CGI nano-terminators.

That is incredibly lame.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Sasquatch! posted:

Only if he throws a chair at her and asks if she's rushing or if she's dragging.

(And/or if he tells her to make him a combustable lemon.)

Not quite my timeline.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
New proper trailer is out. Looks like one of the commonly speculated plot points was dead on the money. John Connor is the villain! Might be pretty lame, but the new nano-terminator design looks pretty boss. Still pretty hard to believe that not only did they have T-1000 tech and T-X tech to send back, now they had THIS as well? Too many single prototype one offs, there needs to be some kind of explanation.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

AlternateAccount posted:

New proper trailer is out. Looks like one of the commonly speculated plot points was dead on the money. John Connor is the villain! Might be pretty lame, but the new nano-terminator design looks pretty boss. Still pretty hard to believe that not only did they have T-1000 tech and T-X tech to send back, now they had THIS as well? Too many single prototype one offs, there needs to be some kind of explanation.

They also spoil something else major in that trailer because they show how they defeat Connor, using the MRI machine they are diagnosing Sarah's cancer with. The film ends with Sarah and Kyle riding off into the sunset together with her not pregnant, in an attempt to break the cycle. How the gently caress they spin two more films out is beyond me.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Ugh, if so, that's way too similar to the bit in T3 where they used the particle accelerator magnets.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

AlternateAccount posted:

Ugh, if so, that's way too similar to the bit in T3 where they used the particle accelerator magnets.

It's a greatest hits compilation, I think the similarity is deliberate.

tokidoki
Feb 23, 2006

Damn bunnies!
This looks horrendous. I cringed several times throughout at the acting and all the repeat one-liners. And what's with the special effects looking so terrible?

I think my biggest gripe is that it seems like a retread of everything I've seen before. Maybe the faces are different, but the ideas are the same and so are the effects (but somehow worse, what the hell?)

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

AlternateAccount posted:

Still pretty hard to believe that not only did they have T-1000 tech and T-X tech to send back. Too many single prototype one offs, there needs to be some kind of explanation.

I don't know if they'll work this in, but I think that with regards to the first two films:

The final stretch of the Skynet/Human war was described as Skynet realizing it's losing, resulting in it rapidly developing new technology specifically to send single prototype one-offs into the past, because said new technology could do more war-winning damage in the past than it could possibly do before Skynet's defeat.

A single T-1000, a single T-X, a single nano-machine Terminator thingie they couldn't possibly stop Skynet's destruction at the hand's of humanity. One of those going back in time? Could totally do.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 13, 2015

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

PriorMarcus posted:

They also spoil something else major in that trailer because they show how they defeat Connor, using the MRI machine they are diagnosing Sarah's cancer with. The film ends with Sarah and Kyle riding off into the sunset together with her not pregnant, in an attempt to break the cycle. How the gently caress they spin two more films out is beyond me.

The post-credits scene reveals that Connor-Terminiator has a protected nano-sub-terminator that follows Sarah and Kyle, slips into Kyle (pulling sperm), slips into Sarah (depositing said sperm), and as it flies out, it looks at the audience and says "No problemo!" and "Hasta la vista" before flying off.

NOTE: Not a spoiler.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I guess maybe that makes some kind of twisted sense, but it still seems a bit weird. If you can build one you can build a hundred, and we still haven't really seen how you "kill" a T-1000, so they would be a lot more effective than generic metal skeletons.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

AlternateAccount posted:

If you can build one you can build a hundred

Eh, not necessarily? Consider them 'proof of concept' builds/prototypes, then it takes time to set up a T-1000 production line or whatever.

Still seems kind of bogus that they're just going with the 'even more tech!' crutch though.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The reason there's only one nano-terminator is addressed.

It's Skynet. The actual physical form of Skynet. It kept the technology to itself because it has even started to fear the Terminators due to rebel reprogramming.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

PriorMarcus posted:

The reason there's only one nano-terminator is addressed.

It's Skynet. The actual physical form of Skynet. It kept the technology to itself because it has even started to fear the Terminators due to rebel reprogramming.

That's..... slightly corny, but kind of interesting. The next logical step is to make it an actual character, I guess. We don't count that HBC bullshit from Salvation.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Salvation did it pretty lovely, but we've gone so long with this series that I kinda want Skynet as a character. Can't put it into words, but there you go.

WarLocke posted:

it takes time to set up a T-1000 production line or whatever.

According to the T2 novelization (I think) it's hinted that Skynet never would produce a lot of T1000s, because their programming is so (forgive the pun) fluid that it would be impossible to shut it down/stop it if one decided to think "I'm better than Skynet"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

WarLocke posted:

Eh, not necessarily? Consider them 'proof of concept' builds/prototypes, then it takes time to set up a T-1000 production line or whatever.

Still seems kind of bogus that they're just going with the 'even more tech!' crutch though.

I believe even in the extended version of the T2 movie Arnold says outright that the T-1000 is a prototype and is one of the kind. Implying in the future Skynet just sends back whatever's immediately around it's experimental time travel thing when it realizes there's no way left for it to win in the war, which was an Arnold and a T-1000.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Yeah, that was expanded in a decent concept in the show, where a T-1000 goes back and basically says "gently caress Skynet, it's just going to get everyone killed; I'll create a better Skynet that allows humans/A.I. to live peacefully with each other." I don't really mind Skynet making the mistake that birthed it by creating artificial intelligence that turns on it.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
Not gonna lie; as brain-dead ridiculous fanfic I am totally on board with this. Although I think the marketing is getting desperate, what with giving away what I'd thought was the big twist, and running this awful ad that attempts to ride Game of Thrones' coattails.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.

MisterBibs posted:

Salvation did it pretty lovely, but we've gone so long with this series that I kinda want Skynet as a character. Can't put it into words, but there you go.

According to the T2 novelization (I think) it's hinted that Skynet never would produce a lot of T1000s, because their programming is so (forgive the pun) fluid that it would be impossible to shut it down/stop it if one decided to think "I'm better than Skynet"

The concept your referring to was explored in more depth in the excellent Sarah Conner Chronicles show. Which I wish had never been cancelled as it brought far more interesting elements to the terminator universe than Salvation or this new movie appear to be doing.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
As a crazy thought I had recently about the Terminator franchise: It's a creation from a different time and has become sort of outdated, but they keep trying to retrofit it and keep it relevant and productive rather than just scrap it and replace it with something more modern.

Arnold goes from being the peak machine in the first film, to a lesser model that somehow manages to still kick rear end in T2. Then, in T3, he's an even more inferior model compared to the one that's there. Then in Salvation, he's so inferior that hand-to-hand to hand he literally is unable to just kill a normal human. Finally, here, he's literally an old-man Terminator vs previous and new upgraded models.

edit: Yeah, this feels like crazy fanfic levels of Terminator and even though I don't think it will fit with the tone of the original films, I'm sort of really jazzed to see it now. It's sort of feels like it's now more a 'comic book' movie version of what Terminator would be. ("Now Comics" version of Terminator, I guess)

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Apr 14, 2015

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I'm a pretty big Terminator nerd. I don't really openly advertise it like I do with AvP, but I'm pretty close to as big a fan of the Terminator franchise as I am with AvP. Fun fact: I moderated the official Terminator3 movie messageboards, back in the day.
And like with AvP, my standards are pretty similar (reads: low). I've got all the comics, all the spin-off books, a lot of the video games, all kinds of poo poo.

I'm pretty stoked about this new movie, mostly because of how it's choosing to gently caress with the timeline. It's taking the Terminator premise and straight up going balls-out with the "no fate" idea, and I think that's interesting. Granted it's not the first time this has happened in the Terminator franchise, but it's still cool to see them trying it in a movie.

I don't like that the new trailer has enormous mega-spoilers, but it's sort of par for the course in Terminator trailers so I'm not surprised they did it - T2's trailers spoiled the poo poo out of Arnold being the good guy (yes, that was meant to be a twist), and Terminator Salvation spoiled the poo poo out of Marcus being a cyborg.

Speaking of Salvation, I just got done reading "Terminator Salvation: The Final Battle" volumes one and two, and it ended up being really surprisingly cool. It managed to "end" the war in a satisfying and interesting way, and even managed to tie up some of the hanging plot points introduced in Terminator 3 (such as John Connor's death). It had a couple hokey parts along the way, but it hopped between storylines happening in the "past" and "future" in effective ways.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 14, 2015

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I'm doing a rewatch of this trailer again, but there's a part of me that was so shocked by how much they showed that I'm getting the vibe that it's like pre-emptive damage control. By revealing that really big plot point now they're sort of preparing audiences so they don't go in/come out completely negative on it to the point they ignore every other part of the film.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

FoneBone posted:

Not gonna lie; as brain-dead ridiculous fanfic I am totally on board with this. Although I think the marketing is getting desperate, what with giving away what I'd thought was the big twist, and running this awful ad that attempts to ride Game of Thrones' coattails.

Hahahahaha, holy poo poo that's desperate

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Xenomrph posted:

T2's trailers spoiled the poo poo out of Arnold being the good guy (yes, that was meant to be a twist)

It's a really loving good twist as well, the film itself does a great job of making things ambiguous and keeping the audience in the dark about it until the scene in the mall when Arnie comes out of the lift.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
The only way I can describe how I feel from these trailers is to compare it to having a really crazy nonsense dream that makes you wake up. However, despite that, you NEED to go right back to sleep only because you've GOT to finish seeing it played out.

When I'm done watching these trailers, I want to watch the rest of the movie right now. I need to see how this whole thing plays out no matter what.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Neo Rasa posted:

I believe even in the extended version of the T2 movie Arnold says outright that the T-1000 is a prototype and is one of the kind. Implying in the future Skynet just sends back whatever's immediately around it's experimental time travel thing when it realizes there's no way left for it to win in the war, which was an Arnold and a T-1000.

I hope they have a scene with a dust mop and bucket arriving somewhere in the Middle Ages.

edit: at different places. Can dust mop get to his target before bucket does?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Grendels Dad posted:

I hope they have a scene with a dust mop and bucket arriving somewhere in the Middle Ages.

Only if they wrap it up in a skin of living flesh and tissue.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

JediTalentAgent posted:

Only if they wrap it up in a skin of living flesh and tissue.

Forgot about that, time travel defeated me again.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Also, bucket's programming prevents it from self-emptying... Someone else will have to pour him into the drain.

"I now know why you dry... But it is something I can never do..."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Party Boat posted:

It's a really loving good twist as well, the film itself does a great job of making things ambiguous and keeping the audience in the dark about it until the scene in the mall when Arnie comes out of the lift.

Eh, yes and no. There's a fair amount of stuff in the early going (Arnold in the bar being played for laughs, taking the motorcycle while "Bad to the Bone" is playing, etc.) that really paints the T-800 as the good guy.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

JediTalentAgent posted:

Also, bucket's programming prevents it from self-emptying... Someone else will have to pour him into the drain.

"I now know why you dry... But it is something I can never do..."
:drat:

As for the T-1000's applicability in the future war, plasma rifles would probably make short work of one once they spot it since it doesn't deal well with high temperatures. Of course that part isn't trivial, and it probably would vanish pretty quick into the junk piles if they spot it in the open. You can also easily explain away the lack of mass-production to it being too time consuming, too resource intensive, etc. Maybe you can churn out five HK flyers for the same energy it takes to build one T-1000.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

Grendels Dad posted:

Is this the one where they send The Maid back to protect Sir John of Conner from The Janitor that Skynet sends back?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Timby posted:

Eh, yes and no. There's a fair amount of stuff in the early going (Arnold in the bar being played for laughs, taking the motorcycle while "Bad to the Bone" is playing, etc.) that really paints the T-800 as the good guy.

You're definitely right that there are hints, but I think overall the film does a great job of keeping things ambiguous until the hallway scene. For instance when the T-1000 goes to Johns house initially, even though there's something off about him, he is generally very friendly. There's also the fact that we know from the previous film that Arnold is a Terminator, but Robert Patrick could very easily just be a normal human for all we know at that point. If you didn't know in advance that the movie would be Terminator vs. Terminator you could easily jump to the conclusion that the cop must be the resistance fighter from the future, that's the expectation set up by the original.

One hint would be that in Terminator Reese arrives first, and in Terminator 2 Arnold arrives first, indicating that he will be the good guy this time. I may have that backwards but either way the point is the same.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Also the t-1000 isn't shown as being lethal until the hallway showdown, and only once you see that he can turn his arms into knives and poo poo do you realize that he probably didn't just sucker-punch that cop at the beginning. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Basebf555 posted:

One hint would be that in Terminator Reese arrives first, and in Terminator 2 Arnold arrives first, indicating that he will be the good guy this time. I may have that backwards but either way the point is the same.

You do have it backwards. Arnold arrives first, because it shows the stoic Arnold rising up from a kneel, whereas Reese is just dropped to earth, in pain.

• Locked thread