Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
E: Not the place for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

loving hell. Does be think he can win, or does he think he can't hold his seat against a presidential electorate?

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010

Rygar201 posted:

loving hell. Does be think he can win, or does he think he can't hold his seat against a presidential electorate?

Conventional wisdom says Rubio uses this campaign to get more name recognition, then launches a bid for governor in 2018 and tries again for Pres. in 2020/2024.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
I'm a little surprised. Not that he's running, but that if he drops out of the Senate race, he's really going all-in for Prez. Thought he might have a better shot in 2020, which is to say, ANY chance, as opposed to the 0% chance he has right now to win.

e: ^^^ Good point. 3 presidential nominees in the last 15 years (assuming Hillary wins) will have won the nod their second time around. Maybe Rubio's banking on that.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer
If he wants to leave the Senate, a presidential run is as good a glorified fig leaf as any.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
The error page on Hillary's website.

I love duck puns

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

AsInHowe posted:

I love duck puns

OK, whatever you may think of Hillary, that error page is actually kinda :3:

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

"You clicked the 'Hillary's Stance on the Issues' tab! Sorry, she's just going to wing it!"

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Spaceman Future! posted:

Rubio is going all or nothing political suicide on the executive? He must have a pretty cushy tv deal in the works.

He'll spend more time on Alpha House.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

AsInHowe posted:

I love duck puns

Isn't Disney going to pitch a fit over her using their imagery?

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I'll be in the corner with my Sanders 2016 cap and my trusty friend Evan Williams.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Drastic Actions posted:

Can you change your username on reddit? If not, then he probably has a ton "invested" in that user account (karma, or whatever they do there) and he does not want to lose it. And besides, he got made fun of on SA. How many people are going to search his name and find that thread? I mean, they should, because it's amazing, but it's a low probability.

Or he's an idiot. Probably the latter.

I sort of agree that the whole Boyko-SA thing is a tempest in a teapot - it hardly makes him unemployable. Plus it's entirely possible he screwed up the SA part of his social-media job but did well on other components.

railroad terror posted:

I'm a little surprised. Not that he's running, but that if he drops out of the Senate race, he's really going all-in for Prez. Thought he might have a better shot in 2020, which is to say, ANY chance, as opposed to the 0% chance he has right now to win.

e: ^^^ Good point. 3 presidential nominees in the last 15 years (assuming Hillary wins) will have won the nod their second time around. Maybe Rubio's banking on that.

I'm not disagreeing, but I don't think anyone's ever lost money underestimating a politician's ability to crawl inside their own personal bubble and group-think. I mean, the act of running for President means that you believe either (a) you are the best qualified person to lead America or (b) your own personal ambitions are more important than picking the best President, so you're almost definitionally an egomaniac if you run for President. Look at the way these guys (Rand Paul, Marco Rubio) are rolling out pre-announcement announcements - it sort of feels like they think their announcement is some major EVENT.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
OK, I spent some time and have a rough estimate of Hillary's delegate count. She needs 2,422 to win the nomination and currently has endorsements from 27 Senators, 41 Representatives, 1 ex-DNC chair, and 1 ex-President, so that's 70 soft-pledged delegates to 0 for everyone else*.

* The DNC rules state that only Senators elected as Democrats can be delegates, so I'm assuming Bernie doesn't have a vote.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Obdicut posted:

Would you slight the presidential favorite if you had as many fingers in as many pies as Disney does?

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Dr. Killjoy posted:

"Candidate Biden, What do you have to say about supposed connections between you and the My Little Pony, "Brony" fandom?"

I could see old Diamond Joe being a Brony

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I forgot about Biden! He gets a vote at the DNC too, so he's got one delegate supporting him so far.

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Come watch the political tools scrape around Hillary's record to shore up that whole "opposition to same sex rights" smudge on her record. After a thorough probing, which included several tongue-twirls around her anus, the best they could come up with was that no email she wrote in the Clinton white house actively *opposed* same sex rights... and MEMBERS OF HER STAFF were pushing for gay rights. WOW! Let's throw a loving parade.

"In Bill Clinton White House, Hillary Clinton's staff helped push on gay rights"
http://www.politico.com/story/2015/04/clinton-white-house-gay-rights-hillary-clinton-staff-116859.html

During an interview with Fresh Air's Terry Gross, Clinton laid an egg over gay rights and arguably attacked the host and her motives. Bad move, if anyone knows Terry Gross. This is all a reaction to that.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Are there any redeeming qualities to Clinton?

I am definitely not voting for her, but I would like to at least find comfort in someone who might actually change the status quo. Clinton seems to be a Conservative through and through. She's not in favor of single payer, she supports the Drug War, she's a warmonger, she's shown no real effort to raise taxes on rich or improve the welfare of the poor, she's really done nothing tangible for women or LGBT.

Who the gently caress is this person? Are we expected to hand her the presidency just because she's hung around in important places?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Martin Random posted:

Come watch the political tools scrape around Hillary's record to shore up that whole "opposition to same sex rights" smudge on her record. After a thorough probing, which included several tongue-twirls around her anus, the best they could come up with was that no email she wrote in the Clinton white house actively *opposed* same sex rights... and MEMBERS OF HER STAFF were pushing for gay rights. WOW! Let's throw a loving parade.

"In Bill Clinton White House, Hillary Clinton's staff helped push on gay rights"
http://www.politico.com/story/2015/04/clinton-white-house-gay-rights-hillary-clinton-staff-116859.html

During an interview with Fresh Air's Terry Gross, Clinton laid an egg over gay rights and arguably attacked the host and her motives. Bad move, if anyone knows Terry Gross. This is all a reaction to that.

Hillary Rodham Clinton...

Human Rights Campaign...

brothers?

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Frijolero posted:

I am definitely not voting for her, but I would like to at least find comfort in someone who might actually change the status quo. Clinton seems to be a Conservative through and through. She's not in favor of single payer, she supports the Drug War, she's a warmonger, she's shown no real effort to raise taxes on rich or improve the welfare of the poor, she's really done nothing tangible for women or LGBT.

Who the gently caress is this person? Are we expected to hand her the presidency just because she's hung around in important places?

I don't hold much hope for any president being able to undo the congressional deadlock that's strangling the country, but the best possible outcome for her presidence would be a few choice deaths and retirements allowing her to stack the supreme court with liberals. The Reagan and Bush SC nominations have handed the right some of their greatest victories in the past few decades.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

AsInHowe posted:

I love duck puns

Imagine going to Disney World's Hall of Presidents and seeing an animatronic version of youself, a thing I had never actually considered until this moment.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo

TheBalor posted:

I don't hold much hope for any president being able to undo the congressional deadlock that's strangling the country, but the best possible outcome for her presidence would be a few choice deaths and retirements allowing her to stack the supreme court with liberals. The Reagan and Bush SC nominations have handed the right some of their greatest victories in the past few decades.

This. I really, really don't want to see Ginsburg replaced with an Alito clone.

Barring some extremely unlikely and way out of left field type event, like Liz Warren or Deval Patrick announcing a candidacy, is the only realistic Dem opposition to Hillary at this point Martin O'Malley? I'd vote for Bernie Sanders in a heartbeat, but I feel like the MSM won't even treat a candidacy by him as legitimate. Jim Webb is insane.

I'm not sure O'Malley can even muster half of what Bill Bradley got in 2000, the last time we had a truly presumptive nominee at the beginning of the primary season. Before Gore ran away with the nomination, here were the results from the early contests:

Iowa:

Gore - 62
Bradley - 36

New Hampshire:

Gore - 49
Bradley - 45

Washington:

Gore - 65
Bradley - 34

On Super Tuesday, Bradley got I think 20% in California. I could see O'Malley performing in that range.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Frijolero posted:

Well given that without an act of god she will be the Dem nominee she has a veto pen and you arent gonna get that with your only other choice on the executive ticket. If you need more of a pitch than that you havent considered what 3 wings of fractured GOP will do, so like rage against the machine at the state level where you can actually change something.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheBalor posted:

So nothing? hahaha

You literally said nothing about Clinton personally.

Spaceman Future! posted:

Well given that without an act of god she will be the Dem nominee she has a veto pen and you arent gonna get that with your only other choice on the executive ticket. If you need more of a pitch than that you havent considered what 3 wings of fractured GOP will do, so like rage against the machine at the state level where you can actually change something.

I'm not asking to be convinced to vote Democrat and I am not raging. I simply want y'alls opinions on Clinton and her views and actions.

Frijolero fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 13, 2015

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

railroad terror posted:

This. I really, really don't want to see Ginsburg replaced with an Alito clone.

That would be one hosed up copy of Scalia.

I can't even imagine what that would be like - Scalia is basically a gallbladder with legs and a bullhorn, and Alito is already a less-noisy toady of Scalia. A clone of Alito would basically be Ted Cruz except without any kind of interpersonal communication skills.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Frijolero posted:

So nothing? hahaha

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/13/opinion/it-takes-a-party.html?_r=0

quote:

So Hillary Clinton is officially running, to nobody’s surprise. And you know what’s coming: endless attempts to psychoanalyze the candidate, endless attempts to read significance into what she says or doesn’t say about President Obama, endless thumb-sucking about her “positioning” on this or that issue.

Please pay no attention. Personality-based political analysis is always a dubious venture — in my experience, pundits are terrible judges of character. Those old enough to remember the 2000 election may also remember how we were assured that George W. Bush was a nice, affable fellow who would pursue moderate, bipartisan policies.

In any case, there has never been a time in American history when the alleged personal traits of candidates mattered less. As we head into 2016, each party is quite unified on major policy issues — and these unified positions are very far from each other. The huge, substantive gulf between the parties will be reflected in the policy positions of whomever they nominate, and will almost surely be reflected in the actual policies adopted by whoever wins.

For example, any Democrat would, if elected, seek to maintain the basic U.S. social insurance programs — Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid — in essentially their current form, while also preserving and extending the Affordable Care Act. Any Republican would seek to destroy Obamacare, make deep cuts in Medicaid, and probably try to convert Medicare into a voucher system.

Any Democrat would retain the tax hikes on high-income Americans that went into effect in 2013, and possibly seek more. Any Republican would try to cut taxes on the wealthy — House Republicans plan to vote next week to repeal the estate tax — while slashing programs that aid low-income families.

Any Democrat would try to preserve the 2010 financial reform, which has recently been looking much more effective than critics suggested. Any Republican would seek to roll it back, eliminating both consumer protection and the extra regulation applied to large, “systemically important” financial institutions.

And any Democrat would try to move forward on climate policy, through executive action if necessary, while any Republican — whether or not he is an outright climate-science denialist — would block efforts to limit greenhouse gas emissions.

How did the parties get this far apart? Political scientists suggest that it has a lot to do with income inequality. As the wealthy grow richer compared with everyone else, their policy preferences have moved to the right — and they have pulled the Republican Party ever further in their direction. Meanwhile, the influence of big money on Democrats has at least eroded a bit, now that Wall Street, furious over regulations and modest tax hikes, has deserted the party en masse. The result is a level of political polarization not seen since the Civil War.

Now, some people won’t want to acknowledge that the choices in the 2016 election are as stark as I’ve asserted. Political commentators who specialize in covering personalities rather than issues will balk at the assertion that their alleged area of expertise matters not at all. Self-proclaimed centrists will look for a middle ground that doesn’t actually exist. And as a result, we’ll hear many assertions that the candidates don’t really mean what they say. There will, however, be an asymmetry in the way this supposed gap between rhetoric and real views is presented.

On one side, suppose that Ms. Clinton is indeed the Democratic nominee. If so, you can be sure that she’ll be accused, early and often, of insincerity, of not being the populist progressive she claims to be.

On the other side, suppose that the Republican nominee is a supposed moderate like Jeb Bush or Marco Rubio. In either case we’d be sure to hear many assertions from political pundits that the candidate doesn’t believe a lot of what he says. But in their cases this alleged insincerity would be presented as a virtue, not a vice — sure, Mr. Bush is saying crazy things about health care and climate change, but he doesn’t really mean it, and he’d be reasonable once in office. Just like his brother.

As you can probably tell, I’m dreading the next 18 months, which will be full of sound bites and fury, signifying nothing. O.K., I guess we might learn a few things — Where will Ms. Clinton come out on trade agreements like the Trans-Pacific Partnership? How much influence will Republican Fed-bashers exert? — but the differences between the parties are so clear and dramatic that it’s hard to see how anyone who has been paying attention could be undecided even now, or be induced to change his or her mind between now and the election.

One thing is for sure: American voters will be getting a real choice. May the best party win.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
e: so nice I posted it twice

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Frijolero posted:

-somewhat less likely than republicans to send you an' me to die of gutshot in a goat pasture twelve miles outside of isfahon

-while she probably will not do anything to further progressive agendas, she will certainly not aggressively attempt to dismantle the past eighty years' of progress like a Republican will.

vote/support Bernie in the primary and your conscience can be clear.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I, for one, am looking forward to a year and a half of "Hillary is no different from the Republicans, voting doesn't matter."

Edit: Here, have a photo of Marco Rubio, the human manifestation of awkward:

Wicked Them Beats fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 13, 2015

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

PupsOfWar posted:

-somewhat less likely than republicans to send you an' me to die of gutshot in a goat pasture twelve miles outside of isfahon

-while she probably will not do anything to further progressive agendas, she will certainly not aggressively attempt to dismantle the past eighty years' of progress like a Republican will.

Are you telling me that Hilary Clinton's going to be as inefficient at fixing things as Obama? You'd think her spine of iron and vehement anti-conservatism would help matters quite a bit.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I never asked for convincing on Clinton and I am not saying she's no different than Republicans. What I asked was: Are there any redeeming qualities to Clinton?

The answer is clearly No.

As a Democratic candidate there are slight benefits over a GOP candidate, but as a unique person with unique traits and unique skills there seems to be a consensus that she has nothing good going for her.

PupsOfWar posted:

I'll be voting Sanders in primary and Jill Stein in the final.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Frijolero posted:

So nothing? hahaha

I'm not asking to be convinced to vote Democrat and I am not raging. I simply want y'all opinions on Clinton and her views and actions.

I don't care. The personal aspect of the candidate doesn't matter.

Candidates are bound by their coalitions. The party matter infinitely more than the particular candidate because the party provides all the staffers to head up the massive organization that is the federal state, and the party provides the coalition. Past these, so long as the president doesn't let the birds fly, them personally being amazing or an rear end in a top hat is of little consequence. At best it comes out in campaigning, but they always hide their real personalities anyways. I mean, do you really think Romney actually likes corn dogs, or that Obama was totally cool with people waving the confederate flag at him?

Clinton's views and actions will reflect those of her coalition. That means she will, at a minimum, seek to maintain the basic social safety net of social security, Medicare, and Medicaid in their current form, while preserving and extending the ACA. Taxes on the rich will stay at about the level they are. She will preserve the 2010 financial reform, she will move forward on climate issues, she will appoint center left justices like Kagan and Sotomayor to the SCOTUS, and she isn't going to shred freshly forged international agreements.

What she wants has very little to do with it beyond highlighting the relative priority and means of these.

It's what Obama is doing now, it's what W did for his coalition, what Bill did with his, what HW Bush did, etc etc etc.

And with whomever the GOP nominee is its largely going to be the same priorities for them: destroy the ACA, block grant Medicaid, voucherize Medicare, cut Social Security. Cut taxes in the rich. Eliminate the financial reforms and consumer protections. Abolish any climate regulation, defund any programs addressing climate issues, appoint more justices like Alito and Roberts to the SCOTUS, resume a hostile stance with Iran and have direct military intervention in the Middle East. Whether it's Cruz, Paul, Bush, or some other but the only difference will be the relative importance of these agenda items, how they achieve them, and the competence at doing so. It has nothing to do with what they might want to do; President Gingrich may want to focus on his moon zoo but it isn't part of this agenda so it won't get acted on past some symbolic motions.

The coalition dictates what the candidate does. Who they are as a person doesn't matter.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Frijolero posted:

I never asked for convincing on Clinton and I am not saying she's no different than Republicans. What I asked was: Are there any redeeming qualities to Clinton?

The answer is clearly No.

As a Democratic candidate there are slight benefits over a GOP candidate, but as a unique person with unique traits and unique skills there seems to be a consensus that she has nothing good going for her.

I'll be voting Sanders in primary and Jill Stein in the final.

I realize you think you are being clever and contradictory and speaking truth to whatever power you imagine goons hold (the power to send pizza to the veep candidate?)

But all you are really doing is showing you don't know how it works and rambling on like an 18 year old who watched too much West Wing.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Fried Chicken posted:

The coalition dictates what the candidate does. Who they are as a person doesn't matter.

True for candidates in the general election, but the primary still offers a chance to articulate and resolve differences within the coalition. For example, Obama was criticized in the 2008 primary for his position that he'd agree to negotiations with Iran without preconditions. We're only now seeing the result of that choice - and still don't know if it will pay off.

It's too early to say what choices Hillary will need to articulate during the primary, but people who assume that she's going to be the same candidate she was in 2008, 2006, or 2000 are just plain wrong. The Democratic party has changed considerably in the last decade and she'll change with it.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
The people who vote based on "redeeming personal qualities" tend to be the low-information "independent" voters who actually get swayed by TV advertisements.

I like Bernie and Jill Stein, too. But there's a world of policy difference between maintaining the ACA and gutting the ACA. The veto power Hillary would hold matters a lot more than a meaningless vote for Jill Stein.

e: I mean this in the context of a general election, between a more clearly defined D and R candidate. In primary season, yeah, personal qualities play an outsized role. 2008 is a good example.

railroad terror fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 13, 2015

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Fried Chicken posted:

I don't care. The personal aspect of the candidate doesn't matter.

Candidates are bound by their coalitions. The party matter infinitely more than the particular candidate because the party provides all the staffers to head up the massive organization that is the federal state, and the party provides the coalition. Past these, so long as the president doesn't let the birds fly, them personally being amazing or an rear end in a top hat is of little consequence. At best it comes out in campaigning, but they always hide their real personalities anyways. I mean, do you really think Romney actually likes corn dogs, or that Obama was totally cool with people waving the confederate flag at him?

Clinton's views and actions will reflect those of her coalition. That means she will, at a minimum, seek to maintain the basic social safety net of social security, Medicare, and Medicaid in their current form, while preserving and extending the ACA. Taxes on the rich will stay at about the level they are. She will preserve the 2010 financial reform, she will move forward on climate issues, she will appoint center left justices like Kagan and Sotomayor to the SCOTUS, and she isn't going to shred freshly forged international agreements.

What she wants has very little to do with it beyond highlighting the relative priority and means of these.

It's what Obama is doing now, it's what W did for his coalition, what Bill did with his, what HW Bush did, etc etc etc.

And with whomever the GOP nominee is its largely going to be the same priorities for them: destroy the ACA, block grant Medicaid, voucherize Medicare, cut Social Security. Cut taxes in the rich. Eliminate the financial reforms and consumer protections. Abolish any climate regulation, defund any programs addressing climate issues, appoint more justices like Alito and Roberts to the SCOTUS, resume a hostile stance with Iran and have direct military intervention in the Middle East. Whether it's Cruz, Paul, Bush, or some other but the only difference will be the relative importance of these agenda items, how they achieve them, and the competence at doing so. It has nothing to do with what they might want to do; President Gingrich may want to focus on his moon zoo but it isn't part of this agenda so it won't get acted on past some symbolic motions.

I call bullshit on this. Our presidential system, in terms of electability, has a lot to do with the candidates personality, as it dictates that candidate's popularity and thus voter's willingness to vote for that candidate, lest vote at all. Especially considering how many PACs and gaffes can make or break a candidate's electability. And that still matters. What you're thinking of in my mind is more of a british parliamentary election, in which the people do in fact vote for parties and not for PM candidates, which does mean in that case that who the PM is as a person doesn't matter.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Obdicut posted:

Disney's lawyers versus Clinton's lawyers? That would be the King Kong vs. Godzilla of our times.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
I'm voting for Brian Schweitzer :bahgawd:

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fried Chicken posted:

I realize you think you are being clever and contradictory and speaking truth to whatever power you imagine goons hold (the power to send pizza to the veep candidate?)

But all you are really doing is showing you don't know how it works and rambling on like an 18 year old who watched too much West Wing.

lol

You are getting your panties in a bunch over nothing. I've been reading about Clinton and it seems she's done very little for the welfare of average Americans. I was expecting to be proved wrong but instead I got a Democrat calling me names and getting all riled up and defending someone who really needs no defending. Good luck with life loser.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Joementum posted:

True for candidates in the general election, but the primary still offers a chance to articulate and resolve differences within the coalition. For example, Obama was criticized in the 2008 primary for his position that he'd agree to negotiations with Iran without preconditions. We're only now seeing the result of that choice - and still don't know if it will pay off.
right, but that "talk first, no drama, no being a cowboy" sentiment was immensely popular with his coalition.

quote:

It's too early to say what choices Hillary will need to articulate during the primary, but people who assume that she's going to be the same candidate she was in 2008, 2006, or 2000 are just plain wrong. The Democratic party has changed considerably in the last decade and she'll change with it.
she will reflect the current democratic coalition. The income and wealth equality branch is still failing to deliver, so they won't represent a major break from the standard Obama position to a more Warren like position. The change in the Democratic Party you mentions means the New Democrats coalition, or the Webb/Edwards blue collar one are defunct compared to the current incarnation.

• Locked thread