Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

neogeo0823 posted:

We're about to go through a similar problem with pretty much all of our clients in the next few months here. We have ~1300 unique client accounts. Each account will need to be updated for EMV compliance. Preferably before October. This isn't going to happen, the bosses can dream. Anyway, pretty much every established credit card terminal is going end of life because none of them can handle the new file structure needed for EMV processing. The new terminals that are coming out typically have two flavors: NFC/Smart Chip readers or just Smart Chip readers. I've been pushing for us to start deploying NFC/SC combos because we don't know how standards will change in the next year, and NFC could really take off. However, the SC-only terminals tend to be a couple hundred dollars cheaper overall, so my boss and our clients and our sales people are pushing those instead. I wouldn't care otherwise, but I know in a year, when the NFC/SC combos have a lot of inexpensive refurbs floating around that we can grab, I'm going to be going back out to a year's worth of clients and replacing their terminals to add NFC functionality to them.

I'm still not sure if my company is going to actually support EMV or not, but we are currently rolling out Verifone MX915's to all of our locations (well, a lot of them. The others are getting MX860's to replace the MX850's they have). This is in advance of rolling out TransArmor. I think EMV is at least an option with that (according to this page at least, with "EMV™ Enablement" as a section listed).

Except currently it...doesn't work. DBS and FirstData tell us it definitely will work, then we try it and it doesn't. So once they figure it out we can actually start using it. It does sound pretty cool. I'll be glad to not be working for a Target/Home Depot/whoever

The biggest problem we've had with the 915's is so far they're nearly impossible to get. Verifone can't make these things fast enough. We're trying to get 100 a month and apparently they're backordered thousands of units

e: I think they should support it even if it turns out to be not needed, just to avoid consumer confusion--everyone is going to have these new cards and the only thing they'll know is "they're safe!!" and if we don't support them people will freak out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

myron cope posted:

I'm still not sure if my company is going to actually support EMV or not, but we are currently rolling out Verifone MX915's to all of our locations (well, a lot of them. The others are getting MX860's to replace the MX850's they have). This is in advance of rolling out TransArmor. I think EMV is at least an option with that (according to this page at least, with "EMV™ Enablement" as a section listed).

Except currently it...doesn't work. DBS and FirstData tell us it definitely will work, then we try it and it doesn't. So once they figure it out we can actually start using it. It does sound pretty cool. I'll be glad to not be working for a Target/Home Depot/whoever

The biggest problem we've had with the 915's is so far they're nearly impossible to get. Verifone can't make these things fast enough. We're trying to get 100 a month and apparently they're backordered thousands of units

e: I think they should support it even if it turns out to be not needed, just to avoid consumer confusion--everyone is going to have these new cards and the only thing they'll know is "they're safe!!" and if we don't support them people will freak out

The reason why you want to be EMV compliant is because once it finishes rolling out in October, if there's a disputed charge then the merchant is fully liable. Before, they could fight it, but yeah, no EMV, no chance.

As far as terminals, the Verifone solution I've found is the VX520, First Data is either FD130, FD410(for wireless) or FD50/FD35 Pin Pad combo, or the Ingenico ICT 250. However, none of the file structures are ready for download yet. That won't be till either late this month, or early next month, realistically. Yeah, sure, some file structures might say they support it, like if you build through First Deploy, but they are filled with lies and Holocausts. Currently any EMV terminal you install will require a new file to be downloaded to enable the EMV functions when that comes out.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Are you guys only just moving away from mag stripe & signature?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Thanks Ants posted:

Are you guys only just moving away from mag stripe & signature?

There's been PIN debit for decades if that's what you're asking. It's not like signatures were the only option.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
But mostly yes.

I can't blame your clients for not wanting NFC. It hasn't taken off for the most part, and I don't see it suddenly blasting off even with ApplePay and whatever Walmart's thing is called. It's basically a couple hundred extra for something they've seen zero interest for historically.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
nfc works great here and I use it all the time everywhere sorry about your bad infrastructure.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Whats NFC?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

There's been PIN debit for decades if that's what you're asking. It's not like signatures were the only option.

I think he's more asking about CHIP and PIN, which is much more secure than MAG and PIN.

IIRC, merchants have to be able to accept chip card payments by Q4 this year in the US. They'll still accept card swipes, but they also need to accept cards with chips at the very minimum. I'm not sure about accepting NFC. I don't think there's any mandate from the CC industry yet regarding those.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

RFC2324 posted:

Whats NFC?

Near Field Communication - RF communication over a distance of a few inches.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Credit card theft attempts now telegraphed by people putting their hands near your rear end/crotch.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

RFID like you have in a lot of key card systems nowadays, where you just hold your card or tag against the front of a reader, is a form of NFC.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

flosofl posted:

I think he's more asking about CHIP and PIN, which is much more secure than MAG and PIN.

Yeah, sorry, I was. I don't think we ever had mag + PIN, it was mag + signature and then straight to chip + PIN in 2004.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Yeah, the US is pretty much the last country on the planet to adopt Chip & PIN over Mag & PIN, which is technology that's been around since like the 80s or so. Because of this, we're the last bastion of easy credit card fraud, which is why it's so drat prevalent in the news, these days.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I thought we weren't even getting chip and pin at first but chip and sign. Although I vaguely remember hearing something like that on a podcast so I could be wrong

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

myron cope posted:

I thought we weren't even getting chip and pin at first but chip and sign. Although I vaguely remember hearing something like that on a podcast so I could be wrong

Retailers have to support chip and pin. Chip and sign will be available in some areas but it's not going to be guaranteed.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

In my neck of the woods, finding something that has a chip is rare, usually at a gas station chain. Not to mention practically no one has chipped cards except the rich who have platinum double standard maximum amex cards.

I got funny looks when I paid for my gas with google wallet once.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

notwithoutmyanus posted:

So they changed the name they're using on the cert? AKA not FQDN?

Does scripting interactions between applications via REST/rest platforms make someone a developer? I'm only asking because I do that and never considered myself one.
Not sure about your first part. And I don't have enough info to answer your second part. I'm the main developer on a project we have and I am also responsible for making sure it works in production, at least from the stand point of writing code that works all the time and if something breaks and it looks like a code bug I'm on it. The 40 hours of my week is spent on writing code for this project.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Nintendo Kid posted:

Retailers have to support chip and pin. Chip and sign will be available in some areas but it's not going to be guaranteed.

Maybe BoA should tell me the PIN for the fancy chip on my card, then. My understanding is that we're going to be chip and sign for the near future.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

KoRMaK posted:

Not sure about your first part. And I don't have enough info to answer your second part. I'm the main developer on a project we have and I am also responsible for making sure it works in production, at least from the stand point of writing code that works all the time and if something breaks and it looks like a code bug I'm on it. The 40 hours of my week is spent on writing code for this project.

Thanks! I'm just trying to understand where I should begin trying to explain I'm working on development for things when people are asking about the scope of my work, etc. I definitely don't spend my entire working day on it, though.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

DNB, the major bank here is now issuing NFC-enabled chip-and-PIN cards as standard. NFC readers are rare as of yet, but I expect them to be commonplace in major stores over the next year or two. There are talks about how we should become the first cashless economy. It may happen - we're only around five million people, banking is instantaneous and standardised around one major processor and a couple of major card processors, and people are generally not that afraid of new tech.

e: How long have we used chip-and-PIN almost exclusively? Eighteen-twenty years or so? And mostly debit. The norm now is to have one major debit VISA (with optional account credit) and a secondary pure credit MasterCard (that are maxed out on a couple of yearly vacations.)

F4rt5 fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Apr 13, 2015

orange sky
May 7, 2007

JazzmasterCurious posted:

DNB, the major bank here is now issuing NFC-enabled chip-and-PIN cards as standard. NFC readers are rare as of yet, but I expect them to be commonplace in major stores over the next year or two. There are talks about how we should become the first cashless economy. It may happen - we're only around five million people, banking is instantaneous and standardised around one major processor and a couple of major card processors, and people are generally not that afraid of new tech.

e: How long have we used chip-and-PIN almost exclusively? Eighteen-twenty years or so? And mostly debit. The norm now is to have one major debit VISA (with optional account credit) and a secondary pure credit MasterCard (that are maxed out on a couple of yearly vacations.)

Holy poo poo my mind is blown away I thought Norway had something like 20 million inhabitants.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

JazzmasterCurious posted:

Chip and PIN is maybe ten years or so I think. Before that, stripe and PIN.

orange sky posted:

Holy poo poo my mind is blown away I thought Norway had something like 20 million inhabitants.

Yeah, we're pretty tiny

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

In my neck of the woods, finding something that has a chip is rare, usually at a gas station chain. Not to mention practically no one has chipped cards except the rich who have platinum double standard maximum amex cards.

I got funny looks when I paid for my gas with google wallet once.

My credit union (NC's state employees) just sent out new cards with the chip in it, and I tried to run it on a terminal the other day and the cashier was like "LOLNOPE". Some places are updating so slowly.

As for google wallet, I always get hilarious compliments when I use mine. For some reason though some Sheetz gas stations have them and some don't. It was kind of annoying.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Not to mention practically no one has chipped cards except the rich who have platinum double standard maximum amex cards.
I have pretty normal credit cards (no platinum or black cards, hell they are all just Visa and one MC) and I have received replacement chip cards for all of them in the last 2 months or so.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
This is gonna be a fun week! If you haven't gathered from my previous bitching, my supervisor is a massive world-class cock. One of his most charming personality quirks is that he doesn't explain anything to anybody. The only way to find anything out is to ask him point blank about something, and even then he just gives one word responses, grunts, or launches into some complete non sequiter about a television show he watched. He just sort of goes off and does stuff without consulting anyone, so we're running poo poo I had no idea existed, much less how to operate or repair it. This sort of response is not limited to just me, and it's a well-known issue by just about everyone here.

He's gone to Vegas for the week and even after almost two years here, I have almost no clue as to how anything around here operates. I voiced my concern Friday, since we just replaced a huge portion of our transmitter line that had literally melted on Thursday, and he just responded "Oh, I'm sure everything will be fine. Welp, see ya."

I get in this morning to a bunch of emails.

quote:

I got an email from a viewer saying our livestream only works sometimes. Please fix this.

quote:

Our feed is going in and out. Normally, I'd just play out of NET2, our backup, but last week [Supervisor] took NET2 away and wouldn't tell me why. Please figure out our CBS feed

quote:

Our weather camera in [city an hour away I've never been to] is out, please go out there and fix it

I've asked several times for a rundown on how our livestream service operates, and he just says "oh it's easy" and then ignores me, so gently caress if I know.
I've never once been allowed to do satellite dish repositioning, but I've watched him, so I might be able to fix the feed if it's just a signal issue. Past that, I have no clue.
I didn't even know we had a weather camera in said city, much less where it is or who to talk to to get access to it.

All of this, and, to no surprise, supervisor isn't answering his phone.

Most, if not all, of this is my fault for not taking the initiative, but god drat this week is gonna suck.

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 22, 2016

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

quote:

Please double check with *group* to verify if this issue has been resolved. The [issue has been resolved] 3 days ago, it is not possible that an issue could be occurring for 7 days week only 3 days after a change.

A ticket update by me. (We made a change 3 days ago and asked him to see if an issue is fixed, his response was that it happens 7 days a week)

I'm very close to just straight up accusing the guy of being illiterate.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Renegret posted:

A ticket update by me. (We made a change 3 days ago and asked him to see if an issue is fixed, his response was that it happens 7 days a week)

I'm very close to just straight up accusing the guy of being illiterate.

"it is not possible that an issue could be occurring for 7 days week only 3 days after a change."

glass houses, etc

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round
... a ticket came in, from inside the house!my manager - I rebuilt their PC a few weeks back, and ever since they have been getting 'Outlook does not have enough memory to do this' errors whenever they are trying to open various folders / calendars. The PC setup is the same, Win7 64bit, 4Gig, Office 2010, and this error is not affecting anyone else, I've unticked cached mode / shared folders etc, but it's made no difference. This user doesn't have a huge mailbox, so I don't thik it can be that, more something on the PC? I've googled the gently caress out of this and can't find any solutions that work.

More RAM is on order, but I'm worried that won't fix it. Anyone else come across this delightful issue ?

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

larchesdanrew posted:

Most, if not all, of this is my fault for not taking the initiative, but god drat this week is gonna suck.

No, it's his fault for being an awful boss and making himself a single point of failure.

Same thing happens at my workplace but at least my boss answers his phone on vacation when poo poo breaks.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

"it is not possible that an issue could be occurring for 7 days week only 3 days after a change."

glass houses, etc

It's not the first stone I've thrown at that guy, and it won't be the last. I'm not going to waste my and other people's time and resources because he doesn't feel like reading an e-mail and instead shifts the blame on us just to get it off his plate. He's not even very good at hiding it. We have an intermediary between the two of us, that intermediary sent him a list of 20 tickets to check with various updates, and his response was "All of them are still having problems." Obviously didn't even make an attempt.

What's nice is that as long as I can justify it behind "helping the customers", I have a lot of leeway with being an rear end in a top hat. In the past, I've received complaints from my boss before for "not being assertive enough" so I could usually get away with a lot.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Haquer posted:

No, it's his fault for being an awful boss and making himself a single point of failure.

Same thing happens at my workplace but at least my boss answers his phone on vacation when poo poo breaks.

I honestly believe he's throwing some sort of professional tantrum because he and our old GM were, like, BFFs 4EVA for years and years.

Any sort of decisions to be made about anything, minor or major, were almost solely made between General Manager and Chief Engineer behind closed doors. That's just how things went, if anyone went to the GM about something, he'd scuttle off to the CE and seek his advice or approval about it. So, it's basically gotten to the point where the CE, my supervisor, was the major decision maker around here. He'd decide if and what we bought, no matter if it was new computers or tape dispensers. He made all final decisions about services we offered, what equipment we used. Hell, he was even the deciding factor over whether we did a two anchor or single anchor news program. He was given waaaay too much power due to his relationship with the GM.

But, then the GM got promoted to president of the television branch of the corporation that owns us and moved away. Suddenly, we get a new GM who actually wants individual departments to make their own decisions. I mean, I almost dookied a shooter when I got an email from him when he first started asking me to come set up his new computer. I had never had the GM approach me, the IT department, for a computer related issue. It was always the CE that dealt with technology. It pissed my supervisor off terribly.

So, to bring it back to my original point, I think he's pissed that he's no longer the GMs puppeteer, so he's just basically giving a huge middle finger to the whole business. A lot of people have noticed that he just doesn't seem to give a poo poo anymore. Even his normal "band-aid everything" tactic is even more band-aid-y these days, with a lot of issues just getting ignored because it inconveniences too few people.

As an addendum, even though the old GM has his own engineers and IT personnel at his new office, he still personally calls my supervisor for his advice and help on just about any and all issues.

It's all pretty fuckin' sad. All I want is a ticketing system :smith:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

orange sky posted:

Yeah there's almost as many Norwegians in the US as there are in Norway itself.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
@larches Half of the 500+ IT staff at my company are like that, and some managers went so far as accusing me of being defensive for training others on what I admin and trying to make my information as accessible as possible (and not me being the only information source) . :yotj: feels like it needs to happen.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Continuation of this tale just happened. :nyd: has been very short and snippy with me since the incident. She doesn't ask for me to look at computers anymore, she just comes in and flatly states that "[blank] is messed up, you need to fix it." It's still always a virus.

She just came in.
:nyd: You need to come look at this computer. The screen is blue.
:v: What do you mean, it's blue? Like, it's a blue screen with an error on it?
:nyd: I don't know, it's blue.
:v: And this is your computer or an editor?
:nyd: Well it's not my computer. It's the computer I'm using. [while walking off] It's this stupid broken piece of crap that no one will ever fix."

I finished up what I was doing (reassembling a camera) after about 5 minutes and went to look at it. She's standing in the hall eating a salad and talking to someone.

:nyd: Oh, there he is, finally going to do some work for once.

I'm so over today. I really wanted to lean in close and whisper "I make more than you and I'm half your age"

Anyways, the monitor cable was loose. Problem solved. Now I can go back to not doing any work, like usual.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

larchesdanrew posted:

I'm so over today. I really wanted to lean in close and whisper "I make more than you and I'm half your age"

I'm actually pretty embarrassed by how much money I make compared to people I know from outside IT.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
so an email came in.

Company that laid me off wants to hire me for piecemeal contract work. Hope they aren't expecting me to do it for my current pay rate.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

blackswordca posted:

so an email came in.

Company that laid me off wants to hire me for piecemeal contract work. Hope they aren't expecting me to do it for my current pay rate.

Haha oh you :allears:

quicksand
Nov 21, 2002

A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke.

blackswordca posted:

so an email came in.

$150 an hour, minimum 4 hours + travel.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

quicksand posted:

$150 an hour, minimum 4 hours + travel.

Again, the going rate is either a new boat, or a vacation with the wife to Europe.

Someone really needs to beat that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

$150 an hour is also not 'gently caress you' enough as a contracting rate.

• Locked thread