Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is Azure AD Premium the only way to allow users to change their Office 365 passwords and have that change roll back to on-prem AD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Correct. Password writeback requires an AAD Premium license

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Thanks Ants posted:

Is Azure AD Premium the only way to allow users to change their Office 365 passwords and have that change roll back to on-prem AD?

Yes but I think you could get creative Powershell.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 10, 2015

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

skipdogg posted:

Correct. Password writeback requires an AAD Premium license

Cool, thanks. Did I imagine a bit shake-up coming this Summer with regards to Azure AD sync, or are there changes coming? I can't see anything mentioned on the Office 365 roadmap site.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Augh I'm so mad I'm not going to Ignite.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

Augh I'm so mad I'm not going to Ignite.

Over the premium requirement?

skipdogg posted:

If you're willing to lose all the on premise AD stuff you could do that. You can't use Azure AD in it's current form to handle other parts of AD like joining computers to the domain, security groups (to secure on premise resources), and letting other applications authenticate to it. (Though with Azure AD Premium SSO/SAML could be setup pretty easily)

I know there's new things like Workplace Join coming, but I'm not sure if their road map is to have a replaceable version of on premise AD that exists in the cloud. I don't think it is although I can ask. My company has a O365 TAM and I just finished a session with an Azure PFE a couple days ago. We're rolling Azure AD Premium out to our users right now (mainly Azure MFA, with some SAML SSO coming this summer). We just bought the EMS licenses to go with our existing E3 licenses. We pay Microsoft so much money... so so much money.

I was looking at this earlier and I thought to myself if there's just a Site-to-Site VPN to Azure why do I still need a local DC?

The more I look into it there's a lot of feature loss but I'm going to lab this out.

Maneki Neko posted:

Windows 10 will support the ability to authenticate natively against Azure AD instead of an onprem ad, so you could look at that when it comes out.

Things like GPO would be replaced with Intune, etc. Hopefully this is something they talk a bit more about at Ignite, as I could see this making sense for some of our customers assuming there's some sort of proxy mechanism to translate the 80 hojillion little one off apps that hook into AD.

Can that be tested now with the Win10 preview?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Tab8715 posted:

Over the premium requirement?

When I started here back in January it was brought up as a possibility that we'd all load into a van and drive down to Chicago for Ignite, and then I'd keep bringing it up and bringing it up and it was always "well if there's interest..." until last week when it was decided that since all of the 88 hotels were sold out (I have no idea if this is true) that we wouldn't be going. So I guess I should have pushed harder for that, since it's only a 6 or 7 hour drive there.

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

I was looking at this earlier and I thought to myself if there's just a Site-to-Site VPN to Azure why do I still need a local DC?

The more I look into it there's a lot of feature loss but I'm going to lab this out.

Ah, I think a wire got crossed somewhere. Azure AD is different from AD in a VM on Azure. The latter works as you'd expect, while Azure AD is different.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Venusy posted:

Ah, I think a wire got crossed somewhere. Azure AD is different from AD in a VM on Azure. The latter works as you'd expect, while Azure AD is different.

I'm getting a little confused but what exactly is the benefit of Azure AD?

I get from the diagram there's a sync between on-premise resources to Azure AD but unless you have applications in the cloud how is this beneficial? If you don't have applications in the cloud there isn't much a purpose and you can already get a connection between your on-premise domain and Office 365 with ADFS.

Granted, it would eliminate the local ADFS server.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Azure AD costs nothing unless you go for one of the paid service tiers:

http://azure.microsoft.com/en-gb/pricing/details/active-directory/

I think the idea is that Azure AD acts as the main directory that you authenticate Azure applications and third-party cloud apps against (inc. Office 365), and this then syncs with your on-prem AD which can be extended to Azure/AWS/Rackspace/etc virtual machines using a VPN tunnel if you don't have a separate location or datacenter space.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

Azure AD costs nothing unless you go for one of the paid service tiers:

http://azure.microsoft.com/en-gb/pricing/details/active-directory/

I think the idea is that Azure AD acts as the main directory that you authenticate Azure applications and third-party cloud apps against (inc. Office 365), and this then syncs with your on-prem AD which can be extended to Azure/AWS/Rackspace/etc virtual machines using a VPN tunnel if you don't have a separate location or datacenter space.

It won't sync-back unless you have AD Premium which isn't free.

Does Azure automatically auth with O365? I'm in my account and there doesn't appear to be a way...

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Office 365 uses Azure AD in the background, so you should be able to authenticate other services (e.g. Mimecast) against this directory by activating the Azure account and configuring the directory.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

Office 365 uses Azure AD in the background, so you should be able to authenticate other services (e.g. Mimecast) against this directory by activating the Azure account and configuring the directory.

Yup, underlying Office 365 is Azure AD. That makes sense.

Let's say I have an azure account of azure.contoso.onmicrosoft.com and a Office 365 Account of office365.contoso.onmicrosoft.com but with a verified domain of contoso.com and I want use the Azure Directory.

I can't add a TXT Record into Azure when it's already in Office 365. What's my next solution?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you're logged into the 365 portal and go to https://manage.windowsazure.com then it will give you the opportunity to create a new Azure account which I think uses the same directory as 365, but I have no idea how to bring an existing Azure account in. If you find out let me know.

For what it's worth though I don't think there's a difference in authenticating against an AD in the same Azure tenant vs. a separate one, since it works off client IDs, app keys and URIs of services.

Edit: I don't know if this would get you close to what you want to do. https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/dn736055.aspx

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 11, 2015

TheDestructinator
Jul 18, 2006
I've been tasked with migrating all of our servers into a new domain and I just want to make sure I gather all the correct info so it goes as smoothly as possible.

Here's what I've got so far:
  • Server Name
  • Operating System
  • Roles Installed
  • Applications being hosted
  • Application Version
  • Application Owner
  • Local Admins
  • Language Installed

Any other major details I should have beforehand to come up with the proper migration plan?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Server dependencies - what servers rely on what SQL server, etc, so you can make sure that they are migrated at the same time.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

TheDestructinator posted:

I've been tasked with migrating all of our servers into a new domain and I just want to make sure I gather all the correct info so it goes as smoothly as possible.

• Server Name
  • Operating System
  • Roles Installed
  • Application Version
  • Application Owner
  • Local Admins
  • Language Installed

Any other major details I should have beforehand to come up with the proper migration plan?

Might also be good to track down what's doing active directory based authentication (be it application specific, databases, etc) so you can migrate those easily.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

As part of the migration, are you building the new domain next to the old domain and establishing forest trust with the old domain?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

TheDestructinator posted:

• Server Name
  • Operating System
  • Roles Installed
  • Application Version
  • Application Owner
  • Local Admins
  • Language Installed

are IP addresses changing

TheDestructinator
Jul 18, 2006

devmd01 posted:

Server dependencies - what servers rely on what SQL server, etc, so you can make sure that they are migrated at the same time.
Good call!

Potato Salad posted:

As part of the migration, are you building the new domain next to the old domain and establishing forest trust with the old domain?
The new domain has been built and an external two-way trust has been set up between the two domain.

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

are IP addresses changing
IP addresses will be staying the same.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm gonna post this in the Storage thread too, but has anyone seen problems with slow storage performance on Server 2012 R2? I've got an open case with Microsoft but we're a month in and still seem to just be flailing randomly at even identifying a problem. I've heard mumblings of others having problems, but wondering if anyone has noticed anything.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

FISHMANPET posted:

I'm gonna post this in the Storage thread too, but has anyone seen problems with slow storage performance on Server 2012 R2? I've got an open case with Microsoft but we're a month in and still seem to just be flailing randomly at even identifying a problem. I've heard mumblings of others having problems, but wondering if anyone has noticed anything.

We have quite a few 2012 R2 file servers and none of them have performance issues. Most of them are VMs on ESXi 5.5 with VMDK storage. We also have a clustered pair of DL360 G7's with FC connected storage that are blazing fast.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

FISHMANPET posted:

what kind of storage and what kind of slowness are we looking at?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
We've got a 2012 R2 server running Commvault, and Commvault managing it's "database." Which for us is a 90Gb pile of 20k files, a few of them enormous, most of them tiny. I guess in operation CommVault does a standard OS level file copy of these files within the same drive. In our case from J: to J:. (I'm not the backup guy so this is all secondhand). If I do a drag and drop in the GUI of these same files it's pretty fast for the big files, and then when it gets to all the tiny files the speed nosedives. This has been on a Fibre Channel SAN, a local 10k SAS disk, and a FusionIO card. Basically, whatever each device is capable of, we're seeing much less than that.

We're also seeing some slowness in our Citrix environment running on VMware with a VSAN, but that may or may not be related.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

FISHMANPET posted:

We've got a 2012 R2 server running Commvault, and Commvault managing it's "database." Which for us is a 90Gb pile of 20k files, a few of them enormous, most of them tiny. I guess in operation CommVault does a standard OS level file copy of these files within the same drive. In our case from J: to J:. (I'm not the backup guy so this is all secondhand). If I do a drag and drop in the GUI of these same files it's pretty fast for the big files, and then when it gets to all the tiny files the speed nosedives. This has been on a Fibre Channel SAN, a local 10k SAS disk, and a FusionIO card. Basically, whatever each device is capable of, we're seeing much less than that.

We're also seeing some slowness in our Citrix environment running on VMware with a VSAN, but that may or may not be related.

I have to do all transfers / backups of thousands of small files at a block level as opposed to filesystem level. An ancient database of ours used to backup with zip files, which would take 8+ hours to be created as the limitation was the filesystem's capacity to churn through millions of file handles.

You need a product that will do the backups on a block level. The limitation is not your storage or storage network, but the limitations of doing this at the NFS / CIFS / other filesystem-level layer of abstraction.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I'll state it another way. Each of those tiny files represents an action. That action includes the system identifying each file, copying each file, verifying the copy with the destination agent, and any resultant network connections therewithin. Without getting into the nitty-gritty of exactly what happens in MS when you touch a file / copy a file, that's a lot of overhead. Your storage destination and storage network are most likely idle for the majority of this time.

Eliminate the filesystem bottleneck altogether by using a product that just copies the disk. If you are properly segregating the system disk and the any disks for your applications -- and with your data on a J: letter, it sounds like the case -- your backup guy just needs to do a copy of the whole disk without regard for the contents. If this is a virtual server, that could mean just doing a copy of the vdisk. If it's physical, use an agent-based backup product or a partition copy tool.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Potato Salad posted:

I'll state it another way. Each of those tiny files represents an action. That action includes the system identifying each file, copying each file, verifying the copy with the destination agent, and any resultant network connections therewithin. Without getting into the nitty-gritty of exactly what happens in MS when you touch a file / copy a file, that's a lot of overhead. Your storage destination and storage network are most likely idle for the majority of this time.

Eliminate the filesystem bottleneck altogether by using a product that just copies the disk. If you are properly segregating the system disk and the any disks for your applications -- and with your data on a J: letter, it sounds like the case -- your backup guy just needs to do a copy of the whole disk without regard for the contents. If this is a virtual server, that could mean just doing a copy of the vdisk. If it's physical, use an agent-based backup product or a partition copy tool.

I like using Veeam for doing this.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
The files in question are not the files being backed up, they're the database that CommVault uses to manage the files it is backing up (I don't know exactly how much, but probably tens or hundreds of terabytes). The way CommVault manages its database is that it just does a "standard buffered Windows copy" (according to the vendor) of its database files. The reason this has landed in my lap is that according to the vendor performance is far below what it should be.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

FISHMANPET posted:

The files in question are not the files being backed up, they're the database that CommVault uses to manage the files it is backing up (I don't know exactly how much, but probably tens or hundreds of terabytes). The way CommVault manages its database is that it just does a "standard buffered Windows copy" (according to the vendor) of its database files. The reason this has landed in my lap is that according to the vendor performance is far below what it should be.

So, which component precisely is being slow, the J: to J: copy of CommVault's DB files? Or is CommVault itself not backing other things up as it should?

Edit: also, what's the underlying hardware as far as the Win2012 box is concerned?

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Apr 14, 2015

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Yes, that's the part.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

" I guess in operation CommVault does a standard OS level file copy of these files within the same drive. In our case from J: to J:. (I'm not the backup guy so this is all secondhand). If I do a drag and drop in the GUI of these same files it's pretty fast for the big files, and then when it gets to all the tiny files the speed nosedives. "

This is the critical part of your original email. It sounds like CommVault is doing its own backup of its database before running. 90gb comprised of thousands of thousands of files.......

Ask Commvault if they can do a DB consolidation (many files --> fewer files). I'm trying to make sense of their whitepapers; at an absolutely topical level, it looks like they use a proprietary application database. If the DB is fragmented into a bajillion little files, perhaps they have a re-consolidation tool? It may be worth asking.

Edit: If CommVault is citing stats related to "90gb of data across a small handful of files," that would be a far cry from "90gb of data with thousands of files." It comes back to the filesystem being asked to do the copying of thousands of files. That's monstrously inefficient, and it is the bottleneck.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Apr 14, 2015

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Is there an Active Directory thread? Anywhere people that know lots about it hang out?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
...spiceworks community? :v:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
There is, it just has a lousy title so it gets buried. It's called "leveraging" something something "group policies".

Edit: it's on page 5

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 14, 2015

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Or just use this one

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Yeah, this one works for AD stuff, the other kinda died out.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Is it Enterprise Windows? Do you have a question? Is it Enterprise related (hint: AD is). Do you hate Small Business Server Forever? Then join us!

mewse
May 2, 2006

Is it possible to recover the product key for office 2013 home & business? Nirsoft produkey doesn't work, and from googling it it seems like the best we can do is use ospp.vbs to reveal the last five characters.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

mewse posted:

Is it possible to recover the product key for office 2013 home & business? Nirsoft produkey doesn't work, and from googling it it seems like the best we can do is use ospp.vbs to reveal the last five characters.

Maybe this guy: https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Two way trust between two 2008r2 domains in separate forests, domain DNS zones are replicated as secondaries across each other on all domain controllers. When I validate the trust both directions on domain A its successful, but when I try to do the same from domain B it fails with "no logon servers available, etc."

_GC, _LDAP, and _kerberos records are all correct on both domains with no lingering issues. DNS zone replication occurs with no issues. I have recently replaced all of the domain controllers in domain B with 2008r2 servers and raised the functional level, but dcdiag is clean and I made sure to set up the zone transfers as I went.

This is my first time dealing with a trust issue, so I'm not sure where to go from here. Any ideas?

E: fixed. The _msdcs subdomain didn't exist in the primary DNS zone for domain B, it was separated due to ms best practice after the 2008r2 upgrades. Set up domain A to replicate the _msdcs.domainb.local zone to its dns servers and that fixed it.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 14, 2015