Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Chamale posted:

Over the whole history of U.S. elections, a party winning exactly two consecutive terms has happened 8 times. A party winning just one election before losing again has also happened 8 times, 3 or 4 consecutive terms twice each, and 6 or 7 consecutive terms once each. Certainly a noteworthy historical trend, but a look at the current candidates makes me still think Clinton is the favourite.

Not to mention that the more liberal parts of the country, two states of which provide more than 30% of her votes to win, have been recoiling in horror to all the poo poo that the republican run states and the republican congress have been pushing the last 2 years, and it's not like you can gerrymander the presidency like you can with the senate and house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

America definitely wants a change, but what they poll as wanting there isn't a party pushing.

Like what?

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.
Dan Carlin's podcasts are good because he has a background in broadcast. There are very few history podcasts out there and most of them are done by academics who are very knowledgeable about history but know absolutely nothing about delivery and their shows come off sounding weird or dull. Carlin is also pretty clearly passionate about history and it's fun to listen to someone talk about something they are very interested in.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

He got me started on podcasting and seriously reading into history again, but I did end up not listening to HH anymore after the first WW1 episode because by then I was reading the sources that he aggregates from.

He's popular because his material is listenable and he narrates in an emphatic way, but I do agree that his politics does sometimes leak into his work to its detriment and his paucity of analogies can get tedious. Referencing Niall Ferguson's The Pity of War and the "there wasn't really a Schlieffen Plan" theory was also a pretty big turn-off.

Me just being someone who has training in bring a historian, something that is my passion I just couldn't deal with it and I listened to everything up to I think the start of 1915. As a pundit I'm sure he's insufferable and he's garbage as a historian, as most pundits are. Yeah and citing Niall Ferguson was inexcusable, there's conservative historians and than there's that garbage.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

I like Krugman's answer to the 'both sides are basically the same' nonsense, and also the 'sincerity' double standard.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Family Values posted:

I like Krugman's answer to the 'both sides are basically the same' nonsense, and also the 'sincerity' double standard.

Both sides are not the same on some issues. They are very close to each other on many issues, like Wall Street regulation, as the only Dems talking about that now are ones establishment Dems are desperately trying to muzzle.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

KomradeX posted:

Yeah and citing Niall Ferguson was inexcusable, there's conservative historians and than there's that garbage.

Mr. Ferguson is a bad guy but I'm sorry, is this a crime or something?

I'd borrow a passage from Satan himself if I thought it was illuminating.

Why aren't you upset about him citing Mein Kampf? Can you put down your democratic party membership badge for 5 seconds?

edit- fyi I am to the left of karl marx

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

zoux posted:

Like what?

Opposition to war, support for Israel, support for single payer, importance of climate change, perception of the economic recovery, funding levels of various government functions, tax reform, budget proposals, infrastructure?

I'm on my phone so I can't really find and link the studies but there was the one about candidates being to the right of their constituencies (and Republican office holders being significantly to the right even if their heavily gerrymandered districts) showing the influence of big money compared to what people want.

There is a reason every election is a "change" election to some degree.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

A Winner is Jew posted:

Not to mention that the more liberal parts of the country, two states of which provide more than 30% of her votes to win, have been recoiling in horror to all the poo poo that the republican run states and the republican congress have been pushing the last 2 years, and it's not like you can gerrymander the presidency like you can with the senate and house.

You absolutely can, it just takes a lot more work. States could switch to proportional electors rather than winner-takes-all and then gerrymander the electoral districts. You don't even need to gerrymander the electoral districts if you just get only your oppositions' states to switch.

All it takes is California electing a republican governor (which we do constantly) who convinces people to pass a state constitutional amendment as a ballot proposition to implement proportional electors and the republican party picks up 20 EVs every election going forward. That's not likely, but it's way more possible than I'd like.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Radbot posted:

Both sides are not the same on some issues. They are very close to each other on many issues, like Wall Street regulation, as the only Dems talking about that now are ones establishment Dems are desperately trying to muzzle.

The question among the Dems is whether Dodd Frank did enough or not, the question between the Dems and GOP was whether Dodd Frank and the CFPB should exist at all or not. It's a much bigger gap than you are indicating, as shown by GE exiting the banking business this weekend. GE Financial was basically the epitome of the shadow banking problem, them dropping out because of the SIFI burden is huge.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

UberJew posted:

You absolutely can, it just takes a lot more work. States could switch to proportional electors rather than winner-takes-all and then gerrymander the electoral districts. You don't even need to gerrymander the electoral districts if you just get only your oppositions' states to switch.

All it takes is California electing a republican governor (which we do constantly) who convinces people to pass a state constitutional amendment as a ballot proposition to implement proportional electors and the republican party picks up 20 EVs every election going forward. That's not likely, but it's way more possible than I'd like.

I thought that this was what Florida and other Republican led states were trying to do specifically. Make it so that it's a proportional electorate system and then gerry mander that way.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Radbot posted:

They are still quite far from each other, this kind of equivocation is quite dangerous when theres a huge gap. A democratic congress passed new regulations in 2010, a republican congress now wants those, and more repealed. If you vote for a democratic congress and presidency the worst that will happen is that things will stay the same, if you vote for a republican thats the best case.

Comment from the Krugman op-ed posted:

This is one of the rare Paul Krugman opinion pieces with which I cannot agree. Dr Krugman completely IGNORES Hillary's vote in favor of the Iraq War Resolution, and her continuous and adamant support for that war and occupation right up to the beginning of the full campaign season in January 2008. We are talking about trillions of federal and state tax dollars, not to mention the priceless American and Iraq lives LOST, wasted on a war that only helped boost al-qaeda and the even more violent Islamic State.

Again, this kind of thinking is going to be quite common amongst democrats and it'll again be dangerous and wrong. Most democrats in congress voted for the Iraq war, most people in the country were for the Iraq war at the time based on lies the Bush administration told us. The only democrats you're going to find that didn't vote for it either were not in congress at the time or will be considered "too extreme" but the "independent" voters that will decide the election.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 13, 2015

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

40 OZ posted:

Mr. Ferguson is a bad guy but I'm sorry, is this a crime or something?

I'd borrow a passage from Satan himself if I thought it was illuminating.

Why aren't you upset about him citing Mein Kampf? Can you put down your democratic party membership badge for 5 seconds?

edit- fyi I am to the left of karl marx

Citing a work that's that bad only has value insofar as you're unambiguously pointing out that it is. It's far too easy to put it in a context that would suggest that there's merit to Ferguson's work.

As a counter-example, I read a book about the Dresden firebombing, and the author made it very clear in every mention of David Irving's work that he was a bad guy with bad scholarship.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Fried Chicken posted:

The question among the Dems is whether Dodd Frank did enough or not, the question between the Dems and GOP was whether Dodd Frank and the CFPB should exist at all or not. It's a much bigger gap than you are indicating, as shown by GE exiting the banking business this weekend. GE Financial was basically the epitome of the shadow banking problem, them dropping out because of the SIFI burden is huge.

It's a crock to think that GE shutting down GE Capital is just because paperwork is "like totally lame dude, those other suits can make that money". You're literally saying that the cost of complying with Dodd-Frank exceeds the potential profits of that business unit. I disagree. You are aware that Dodd-Frank is many years old and that the official CEO line of "the dems made us do it" isn't trustworthy?

CFPB is largely bullshit - I guess it's nice that my credit card bills are much, much longer now, but not sure why it's important. Dodd-Frank is 90% toothless. Excuse me for not being too excited about the difference between largely and completely toothless legislation.

There are differences in economic and economic regulatory policy between the GOP and establishment Dems. They are not important differences, and not ones that will stop Wall Street from dictating everything that happens in this country.

Radbot fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 13, 2015

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Hollismason posted:

I thought that this was what Florida and other Republican led states were trying to do specifically. Make it so that it's a proportional electorate system and then gerry mander that way.

They want to do that in Florida, but ~mysteriously~ make no similar effort in South Carolina or Alabama, because the real idea is to make every D state split its EVs while keeping R states as a bloc.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

Opposition to war, support for Israel....

Wait wait wait, you're arguing that neither party supports Israel enough?

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

eviltastic posted:

I guess Tulsa PD had to come up with some alternative revenue streams after that huge corruption scandal a few years back crimped their style.

e: A corruption scandal which, as a very minor note, involved negligent discharge of a firearm while retaliating against a witness, per google.

This is TCSO, not TPD. And from my experience, reserve officers do get training, including firearm safety training. Doesn't mean this guy had any right to be in pursuit or arresting anyone. All the other officers involved hosed up by letting this guy near a suspect.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

UberJew posted:

They want to do that in Florida, but ~mysteriously~ make no similar effort in South Carolina or Alabama, because the real idea is to make every D state split its EVs while keeping R states as a bloc.

Right the states that are traditionally blue but now have a Republican Governor would have the electorate split.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

Citing a work that's that bad only has value insofar as you're unambiguously pointing out that it is. It's far too easy to put it in a context that would suggest that there's merit to Ferguson's work.

As a counter-example, I read a book about the Dresden firebombing, and the author made it very clear in every mention of David Irving's work that he was a bad guy with bad scholarship.

He's the professor of history at Harvard.

He didn't cite his feelings about Jamie Dimon or Ted Cruz.

Stop being a baby.

quote:

lol

Did he flaggelate himself with Every Reference, as well? What is wrong with you?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Hollismason posted:

It is, yes.

Radbot posted:

It's a crock to think that GE shutting down GE Capital is just because paperwork is "like totally lame dude, those other suits can make that money". You're literally saying that the cost of complying with Dodd-Frank exceeds the potential profits of that business unit. I disagree. You are aware that Dodd-Frank is many years old and that the official CEO line of "the dems made us do it" isn't trustworthy?

CFPB is largely bullshit - I guess it's nice that my credit card bills are much, much longer now, but not sure why it's important. Dodd-Frank is 90% toothless. Excuse me for not being too excited about the difference between largely and completely toothless legislation.

There are differences in economic and economic regulatory policy between the GOP and establishment Dems. They are not important differences, and not ones that will stop Wall Street from dictating everything that happens in this country.

Ok, I'm deriving my take on GE exiting the financial market based off the reads from Spross and deLong. What is yours?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

40 OZ posted:

He's the professor of history at Harvard.

He didn't cite his feelings about Jamie Dimon or Ted Cruz.

Stop being a baby.

lol

Did he flaggelate himself with Every Reference, as well? What is wrong with you?

Nobody gives a poo poo you think Ferguson is bad, yet deserves endless replies of you questioning the mental faculties of somebody who doesn't like said poo poo historian, named Ferguson.

Imbecile.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Nothin classier than laughing during a rape victim's speech

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think in this case the laughing was incidental.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Fried Chicken posted:

Ok, I'm deriving my take on GE exiting the financial market based off the reads from Spross and deLong. What is yours?

So you're asserting that paperwork makes usury unprofitable? I'm not too interested in ideologues' takes on Why Obama Made GE Fail, etc.

There are literally hundreds, if not thousands, of macroeconomic factors that would influence whether a lending firm is profitable.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm kinda curious what would happen in a scenario where the GOP changed a bunch of electoral rules, then immediately won a Presidential election despite decisively losing the popular vote (like losing with 48% to the Dem's 50%). I would think the amount of people that had any faith left in the system would be at an all time low, but there's not much people can do about it.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

zoux posted:

I think in this case the laughing was incidental.

I'm inclined to believe otherwise unless proven because republicans (and to be fair, people in general) are horrendous assholes.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Kitfox88 posted:

I'm inclined to believe otherwise unless proven because republicans (and to be fair, people in general) are horrendous assholes.

Incompetence > Malice usually.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kitfox88 posted:

Yeah generally people openly laugh at rape victims, I find, in my fantasy world where all the people who disagree with me are also unbelievable dickholes and all the people who agree with me ideologically are Good and Smart.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Maybe he's just recalling the morning radio show on his way to work that morning.

Tune in Weekdays at 7-9AM for Bobby and Rapin' Dave! *AWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOGA*

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh no that person ran over that dog! What a terrible accident! Wait it was a Republican? Must've been on purpose, I bet.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

zoux posted:

Yeah generally people openly laugh at rape victims, I find, in my fantasy world where all the people who disagree with me are also unbelievable dickholes and all the people who agree with me ideologically are Good and Smart.

It's not like I've literally seen that happen in person before or anything. :jerkbag:

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Trabisnikof posted:

Incompetence > Malice usually.
If you can't keep yourself from laughing while someone's telling a very personal story about rape you're probably at least a terrible jackass. Maybe someone sent you a funny text! Well why the gently caress are you looking at it right now?

Laughing because you're an incompetent fool or for completely incidental reasons is still completely loving terrible.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

zoux posted:

National Republicans are scum, but yeah most state level people sitting in those chambers, for any reason, are on their iPads watching videos or playing games.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

If you can't keep yourself from laughing while someone's telling a very personal story about rape you're probably at least a terrible jackass. Maybe someone sent you a funny text! Well why the gently caress are you looking at it right now?

You may be shocked to learn that during legislative floor debates, no one in the room is paying attention to the person speaking.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Watching the video of the incident leads me to believe that the assholes were primarily ignoring her, and probably laughing at something else. Still horrible and deserving of some kind of reprimand, but not "Holy poo poo dude :catstare:" evil.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Have you ever been to a legislative session? Those things are boring as gently caress for 90%+ of the members. Sure it was probably pretty bad timing, but I'd blame not listening to the speech more than "wow I'm so evil I want to laugh at a women for getting raped in a room where everyone knows my name."

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Trabisnikof posted:

"wow I'm so evil I want to laugh at a women for getting raped in a room where everyone knows my name."

I am so glad they went back to the original Cheers theme song.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Radish posted:

I'm kinda curious what would happen in a scenario where the GOP changed a bunch of electoral rules, then immediately won a Presidential election despite decisively losing the popular vote (like losing with 48% to the Dem's 50%). I would think the amount of people that had any faith left in the system would be at an all time low, but there's not much people can do about it.

Were you around in 2000? :downstim:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Gallup has a new poll out, uninsured rate fell again. It's down to 11.9% now, down 5.2 since the ACA went into effect at the end of 2013

Since we all know the ACA is completely terrible and useless and must be repealed, this must be due to a completely different miracle, and not a social insurance policy working as intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

Gallup has a new poll out, uninsured rate fell again. It's down to 11.9% now, down 5.2 since the ACA went into effect at the end of 2013

Since we all know the ACA is completely terrible and useless and must be repealed, this must be due to a completely different miracle, and not a social insurance policy working as intended.

People are supporting the free market and finally buying health insurance to support repealing the ACA!

• Locked thread