Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

bunnyofdoom posted:

(Also Luke is PS8)

So close... :downsrim:

So, looking at Roark again, is this workable?

quote:

86 points

PILOTS

Keyan Farlander [Advanced Sensors, Stay on Target] (34)

Roark Garnet (19)

Ibtisam [Advanced Sensors, Swarm Tactics] (33)

Roark buffs Ibtisam to PS12, Ibtisam buffs Keyan to PS12 with Swarm Tactics, AdvSen / SoT makes Keyan a loving nightmare in close. Basically trying to use the amount of Red on a B-Wing dial as an advantage. 14 points free, no cannons or turrets yet though, could even drop the 8 points to give both B's Engine Upgrade, or just buy a Z-95 to cover Roark with.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Shockeh posted:

So close... :downsrim:

So, looking at Roark again, is this workable?

Roark buffs Ibtisam to PS12, Ibtisam buffs Keyan to PS12 with Swarm Tactics, AdvSen / SoT makes Keyan a loving nightmare in close. Basically trying to use the amount of Red on a B-Wing dial as an advantage. 14 points free, no cannons or turrets yet though, could even drop the 8 points to give both B's Engine Upgrade, or just buy a Z-95 to cover Roark with.

Engine upgrade on Keyan would be wasted due to your plan giving him all the stress. So, give him a survibilty upgrade of some kind maybe? (Also, did I miss a joke with ps9 Luke)

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Engine upgrade on Keyan would be wasted due to your plan giving him all the stress. So, give him a survibilty upgrade of some kind maybe? (Also, did I miss a joke with ps9 Luke)

Engine Upgrade would be to just give him another option at Adv.Sensors stage; With Boost, then SoT letting you alter your manoeuvre (which you'll do precisely because you want Stress to trigger his special) you have a staggering number of location options per turn, choosing your position at PS7.

And the Luke thing was just because I made a good example then goofed it up with a basic error.

Hell, to take this pilot to it's logical extreme (but then we're basing the list around him)

quote:

Keyan Farlander (38)
B-Wing (29), Advanced Sensors (3), Stay on Target (2), B-Wing/E2 (1), Kyle Katarn (3)

Roark Garnet (23)
HWK-290 (19), Blaster Turret (4)

Is 61 points leaving plenty of room to support the gimmick, and not relying on Swarm Tactics. Keyan gets to basically select his arc every turn, fires at P12, and gets a free Focus every time he procs his special to remove a Stress.
E: Although, as he won't be using it when attacking (as he's removing Stress to achieve the same) and it has dubious usefulness defending (because he's a B-Wing, so 1 Agi) there's an argument to say it's not worth 4 points worth of Mod plus Crew.

Second E: Sneaky, probably illegal question that's abusing rules - Define 'revealing' a manoeuvre.

I ask because can you (and this is filthy) take Stay on Target on Imperial Boba Fett, put in a non-Bank manoeuvre, use SoT to make it into a (Red) Bank, then use Boba's special to change it to the other regular, non-red Bank?

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 12, 2015

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Just to chime in, I used a similar B-Wing setup with Keyan, Advanced Sensors, Push The Limit, Engine Upgrade, and a Heavy Laser Cannon and it worked super well, lots of maneuvering options and a way to snag a stress every turn with ease while attacking with four dice at any range.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Shockeh posted:

Second E: Sneaky, probably illegal question that's abusing rules - Define 'revealing' a manoeuvre.

I ask because can you (and this is filthy) take Stay on Target on Imperial Boba Fett, put in a non-Bank manoeuvre, use SoT to make it into a (Red) Bank, then use Boba's special to change it to the other regular, non-red Bank?

Stay On Target has been errataed to read "Treat that your maneuver as a red maneuver" specifically to prevent that.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Poopy Palpy posted:

Stay On Target has been errataed to read "Treat that your maneuver as a red maneuver" specifically to prevent that.

So yes you can change it that way, but there's basically an effect saying 'your manoeuvre is Red' until you next reveal?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Got a third A-Wing yesterday if for no other reason than to paint one up as Green Squadron.

Anyone have any good x3 A-Wing builds?

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Apr 12, 2015

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

dogsarentdangerous posted:

Try 4 x Academy and 4 x Obsidian for maximum swarm. Or 2 x Academy, 2 x Obsidian and the 3 named you mentioned. Basically just lots and lots of TIE fighters and you'll do just fine.

Sweet, thanks. Looks like I'm going to have to buy more TIEs. I've only got three at the moment.

Also, I'm really pumped for being able to fly the TIE Advanced I bought a long time ago in a hobbie shop far far away with the new Title + Advanced Targeting Computer. Are there any new named pilots coming with the Raider or will it just be Darth and Maarek?

e: Yes there are. RIP all my money forever.

Endman fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Apr 12, 2015

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

:getin:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

every time I see the Advanced I think to myself "the Avenger just looks so much better in comparison"

:sigh: maybe one day we'll get the Gunboat but hell the TIE-Avenger is just a bitchin' ship

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Aces High posted:

every time I see the Advanced I think to myself "the Avenger just looks so much better in comparison"

That's because it does, and Disney's decision to push the Advanced in all their marketing is baffling. :confused:

I imagine we'll probably get the Avenger as a separate ship at some point in the near future.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

It must be hard being so wrong. The TIE Advanced is way cooler than the Avenger!

On a more serious note, they look almost exactly the same but the Avenger is squashed and has pointy wings.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I tried making an album of updated pics I took of stuff yesterday but for some reason I can't. Do you need an account?

Also I'm starting to regret my decision to do NMM on the royal viper and I've barely just begun blocking off areas for highlights. I could just paint them in RMM gold and then use blending techniques on them later if I want to, I guess. I've just never liked RMM style.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Apr 12, 2015

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

AndyElusive posted:

Got a third A-Wing yesterday if for no other reason than to paint one up as Green Squadron.

Anyone have any good x3 A-Wing builds?

Jake Ferrel w/ PTL, VI, Procket, Test Pilot, Stealth (35)
Tycho w/ PTL, VI, Procket, Test Pilot, Stealth (36)
Gemmer w/ Pocket, PTL, Test Pilot (28)

99pts for init bid vs other PS9s/ 10s. Drop gemmer's PTL for 4pt Init bid.

Fly super defensively, only drop prockets if you can get focus/ TL.

Edit: Alternative is 3x autothrusters, drop them off gemmer for a 97pt bid.

Val Helmethead fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 12, 2015

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I had a pretty great teaching game last night with my brother. He flew 3x Interceptors with Push the Limit against my AAB. I ran the B-wing out as bait and flew the A-wings offset, then managed to sweep in and pick off Baron Fel while he was trying to swarm the B.

I felt pretty cocky after that. But my board situation fell apart fast when my A-Wings merged in too hard and started bumping asteroids, Interceptors, and each other. I got lazy with the B-Wing, assuming it was safely out of range, and he sniped it from behind with a Range 3 shot - and then, to my utter horror, Turr Phennir went head to head with Jake, vaporized him, then used his free post-attack barrel roll to dodge Jake's return fire, which would've killed him (we made the rolls, just so we'd know).

Things swung back my way when Tycho killed Turr in revenge and the game ended with Carnor Jax and Tycho spiraling around each other in a classic dogfight. Carnor finally K-turned back at Tycho, and I went head to head confident that a target lock, focus, and evade would let me win the pass. Unfortunately :smugdog: Carnor was in range 1, blocking any use of focus or evade with his Force bullshit or whatever it is. Tycho blew up and his return fire left Carnor at 1 health.

I love it when games play out like moderately-unshitty EU stories.

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Chill la Chill posted:

I tried making an album of updated pics I took of stuff yesterday but for some reason I can't. Do you need an account?

[timg]http://i.imgur.com/9uRblSa.jpg[/tig]
[timg]http://i.imgur.com/s02RqQD.jpg[/tim]
[timg]http://i.imgur.com/dTfkxja.jpg[/tig]
[timg]http://i.imgur.com/oR9qapT.jpg[/tim]
[timg]http://i.imgur.com/ohkHOWC.jpg[/tim]
[timg]http://i.imgur.com/V8cYmVr.jpg[/tim]
[timg]http://i.imgur.com/bkUioUL.jpg[/tim]
[timg]http://i.imgur.com/9Jmib7n.jpg[/tim]

Also I'm starting to regret my decision to do NMM on the royal viper and I've barely just begun blocking off areas for highlights. I could just paint them in RMM gold and then use blending techniques on them later if I want to, I guess. I've just never liked RMM style.

just in case flying against fat han wasn't obnoxious enough

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

General Battuta posted:

I had a pretty great teaching game last night with my brother. He flew 3x Interceptors with Push the Limit against my AAB. I ran the B-wing out as bait and flew the A-wings offset, then managed to sweep in and pick off Baron Fel while he was trying to swarm the B.

I felt pretty cocky after that. But my board situation fell apart fast when my A-Wings merged in too hard and started bumping asteroids, Interceptors, and each other. I got lazy with the B-Wing, assuming it was safely out of range, and he sniped it from behind with a Range 3 shot - and then, to my utter horror, Turr Phennir went head to head with Jake, vaporized him, then used his free post-attack barrel roll to dodge Jake's return fire, which would've killed him (we made the rolls, just so we'd know).

Things swung back my way when Tycho killed Turr in revenge and the game ended with Carnor Jax and Tycho spiraling around each other in a classic dogfight. Carnor finally K-turned back at Tycho, and I went head to head confident that a target lock, focus, and evade would let me win the pass. Unfortunately :smugdog: Carnor was in range 1, blocking any use of focus or evade with his Force bullshit or whatever it is. Tycho blew up and his return fire left Carnor at 1 health.

I love it when games play out like moderately-unshitty EU stories.

I'm curious about this "return fire" business.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Madurai posted:

I'm curious about this "return fire" business.

Turr and Jake are both PS 7, if you get destroyed by a ship with the same pilot skill you still get to make your attack. It's why initiative was considered a bad thing to have pre-Phantom. Moving first is bad and firing first is mostly meaningless.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I have finally figured out why this game is evil. It is at just the right price point to be an impulse buy addition on Amazon. I was kinda looking at imperial aces, mostly for more PTL cards, and for $20, why not. It doesn't help that the minis last ok really good as well.

I am going to try really hard to avoid the huge ships until I at least play in a real tournament or two. Mostly because a wing of TIE Advanced with the stuff from the Imperial Raider looks to be lots of fun.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Val Helmethead posted:

Jake Ferrel w/ PTL, VI, Procket, Test Pilot, Stealth (35)
Tycho w/ PTL, VI, Procket, Test Pilot, Stealth (36)
Gemmer w/ Pocket, PTL, Test Pilot (28)

99pts for init bid vs other PS9s/ 10s. Drop gemmer's PTL for 4pt Init bid.

Thanks! Unless I missed something though, this build comes up to just 98pts. So I threw Munitions Failsafe on Gemmer for 1pt to make it 99pts.

Orvin posted:

I am going to try really hard to avoid the huge ships until I at least play in a real tournament or two. Mostly because a wing of TIE Advanced with the stuff from the Imperial Raider looks to be lots of fun.

Same. I think the Raider is going to be the first large ship I pick up and I'm still trying to find some of the X-Wing pilots I miss out on from not getting the Transport. I was able to snag crew R2 off ebay for pretty cheap so I'm holding out on the slim chance I can grab 3P0 off ebay for less than the actual retail cost of the Tantiv.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

I must have overpriced Jake then. I'd take the 98pts if I were you. Jake REALLY wants to move after any PS 9 ships.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Orvin posted:

I hope there are multiple copies of the /x1 title and Advanced computer in that Raider box.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Madurai posted:

I hope there are multiple copies of the /x1 title and Advanced computer in that Raider box.
There's gonna be 4 copies of each.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Are the really big ships like the Tantive actually fun to use or are they just sort of a thing you buy to sit on your shelf with a few useable bonus extras?

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Kai Tave posted:

Are the really big ships like the Tantive actually fun to use or are they just sort of a thing you buy to sit on your shelf with a few useable bonus extras?

I've only actually used the CR-90 like three times since I've bought it, and the GR-75 absolutely never. I've heard people have bad experiences with them getting their asses whupped running the epic ships, since they cost a lot and can be fairly vulnerable, but personally I've dominated each of those games. I'm looking forward to the imperial raider coming out, so I can finally have a proper corvette duel, and maybe, just MAYBE, get some epic games in on a more regular basis.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
I played a epic game yesterday vs the Corvette. Managed to blow up the front but that just meant that he could ram me with impunity. The support dudes all went in and blocked my guys setting them up for his 5 dice barrages with Han re- roll. Poor Soontir lasted one round of shooting with autothrusters and stealth device. Best preformer vs it was a 50 point Rexler with hlc , stealth device and ruthless ( where one ship within 1 gets a hit as well) but it was still a rout. Game was 300 points. It was fun though! Rexler + Jonus+ Vader with missiles had super synergy and will be worth remembering.

MRLOLAST fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Apr 13, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

I've played one epic game so far. Going into it I thought the Tantive would be a giant pushover given how expensive it is. It turns out it's actually terrifying since it can shoot all of its guns every turn and has a million hitpoints; the game becomes a game of "don't let yourself get into the Tantive's fire arcs."

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I haven't played with the new Epic rules but prior to the latest FAQ the Corvette was garbage. Hitting anything was laughable and it took a ton of energy just to fire. It's way over cost compared to the Raider :/

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I'm still working on my 'X-Wing as board game' limited setup. If we wanted to nudge a few point costs or rules to make B-Wings a little less optimal, X-Wings a little more, ordnance worth taking, and Defenders/E-Wings more viable, what do you think the best way would be?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

alg posted:

I haven't played with the new Epic rules but prior to the latest FAQ the Corvette was garbage. Hitting anything was laughable and it took a ton of energy just to fire. It's way over cost compared to the Raider :/

What got changed?

The Rebel Transport is great and can do a lot of different things, seen that win quite often. The CR-90 just seems like a massive waste of points though. It destroys Decimators but then it's not doing a whole lot else.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

CODChimera posted:

What got changed?

The Rebel Transport is great and can do a lot of different things, seen that win quite often. The CR-90 just seems like a massive waste of points though. It destroys Decimators but then it's not doing a whole lot else.

The most recent change eliminated the extra green dice for range 4&5: anything beyond range 2 just gets one extra die. An older FAQ gave huge ships full energy at the start of the game.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Thought I would put some more work into my Green Squadron A-Wing posted earlier on this page.

Still debating on if I made it better or worse.

Then added some engine glow to the other two stock A-Wings as well:

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 13, 2015

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
I kinda liked the three white a-wings with different colored stripes, but that alternate scheme is pretty ballin too.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I seem to recall that the scum release made Y-Wings suck less. Is that because of the turret title? None of the turrets seem particularly outstanding. It looks like you pick ion for utility, or autoblaster for damage.

Am I looking at the situation right? Either way, it looks to only really be useful against large ships that the Y-Wing has any hope of keeping in its arc.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Nope, the scum Y-Wings are baller because of the R4 Agromech: it allows them to either use the Blaster Turret, or be more effective with the Ion Turret etc. Either that or you pack the autoblaster turret and have the unhinged astromech, which is also really good.

The BTL title is nice but nowhere near as nice as the R4 Agromech. As well as that, Kavil (guy that gets +1 dice firing out of arc) is probably the best Y-Wing pilot.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Orvin posted:

I seem to recall that the scum release made Y-Wings suck less. Is that because of the turret title? None of the turrets seem particularly outstanding. It looks like you pick ion for utility, or autoblaster for damage.

Am I looking at the situation right? Either way, it looks to only really be useful against large ships that the Y-Wing has any hope of keeping in its arc.

Scum Y-Wings are pretty cool because they get cool astromechs and have good pilots

Rebel Y-Wings are pretty much still Golds with Ion cannons because they didn't get much help

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
So I'm a new player and trying to understand the change to cloaking. Is this an accurate summary? Before: decloak before the phantom revealed its dial. After: decloak after all ships have moved, and taken their actions.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Poopy Palpy posted:

The most recent change eliminated the extra green dice for range 4&5: anything beyond range 2 just gets one extra die. An older FAQ gave huge ships full energy at the start of the game.

I'm not finding the rule about eliminating the extra green dice for ranges 4 and 5. Which section of the FAQ is that in?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

jassi007 posted:

So I'm a new player and trying to understand the change to cloaking. Is this an accurate summary? Before: decloak before the phantom revealed its dial. After: decloak after all ships have moved, and taken their actions.

No. Decloak before anyone moves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Yeah new rule is decloak and do the decloak move. Then everyone moves as normal according to ps. So a low ps phantom is now ok to use as a blocker.

• Locked thread