Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I have hopes for Black Clover. I hope they stick with the "Rock Lee as main character" vibe.

World Trigger was one I skipped over at the start but has slowly been winning me over. The whole strategic battles thing has potential.

I enjoy reading One Piece and Toriko and am glad they got my Hero Academia.

One Punch man updates are punishingly few and far between but that's true in Japanese let alone English.

I really don't like the Vampire manga and Blue Exorcist just moves too slow for me to care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I wasn't feeling Cyborg Roggy too much, though admittedly it feels similar to Hi-Fi Cluster which didn't work out. Can't really put my finger on what I didn't like about it other than it didn't grab my attention. Roggy does have a pretty fabulous design though.

He needs to do more Jojo posturing though, like Miyoshi does in Kagamigami.

This week's chapter of Kagamigami was good though at least in introducing more cool characters.

Meanwhile Black Clover is still pretty formulaic, but I like it possibly the most outta the 3 new series so far. So far, Rock Lee trying to be a wizard is still a good hook for me.

Honestly, I would like it if Viz would pick up both since they're both pretty fun so far. It'd probably be a coin flip between Black Clover and Kagamigami if I had to pick though.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
Black Clover is my top pick for the jump starts. It's an extremely stereotypical battle shonen, but I'm finding it incredibly entertaining. I'm just afraid that the gag of "protagonist can't use magic while all his peers can" will get old.

Cyborg Roggy and Kagamigami are kinda tied for me. I liked the first chapter of Kagamigami, but it's gone downhill IMO. I agree that Roggy feels similar to Hi-Fi Cluster, and I'm still sad that Hi-Fi ended.

Also, it's nice to see some good plot progression. Food Wars is moving along nicely, we got a new chapter of OPM, and One Piece had Zoro being badass.

Nisekoi lost just about all of it's momentum, though.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Loving Black Clover even though it's formulaic. Hoping it gets picked up!

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
So far really digging Kagamigami, but that's mostly because Mako is such a fun character.

Black Clover just looks incredibly generic so far

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Yeah, as of this week Kagamigami is my favorite of the jump start stuff thus far. I hope it gets to keep going.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
I agree with all of the recent posts - both Kagamigami and Black Clover are a lot of fun. Kagami has better characters but Black Clover has better action coreography.

As for Black Clover being generic - it's almost exactly like Naruto right now, mixed with some Negima, and that's fine. The fact that the second chapter reinforced the first is true of all manga, so it's really up to issue three to show up something new...

That said, don't forget to vote! http://www.shonenjump.com/issue-survey is the weekly survey, and (presumably) they base the manga they'll keep translating off of this survey (as well as the results in Japan).

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I really liked Ultra Battle Satellite and hope it becomes a regular series!

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Senor Candle posted:

I really liked Ultra Battle Satellite and hope it becomes a regular series!

Oh great, three good series. This sucks.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yeah, we got a pretty solid batch this time around. Gonna be hard to vote for this time.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
I dunno. The story for Ultra Battle Satellite was solid enough, but I couldn't stand the art style.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Ultra Battle Satellight was pretty good. Not the most unique premise and it doesn't seem like a very Jump book, but I like the ride. Cyborg Roggy was better this week too, though maybe i just like seeing rich kids getting owned.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
New WSJ out today.

UBS is starting to show some more promise, but I'm still not sold on the artwork. Cyborg Roggy has one hell of a cliffhanger, but the chapter as a whole introduced way too much stuff to comprehend.

Also, I'm finally starting to get into My Hero Academia. I still haven't read the first 30 chapters or so, but it's starting to come together.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yeah, I still think Cyborg Roggy is the weakest of the 4 series, and I think it's because within 3 chapters, there's nothing really memorably distinctive about the character Roggy other than his design and he helps kids. Its setting has potential to be interesting but I'm not that attached to any of the characters introduced so far.

To be fair, World Trigger has a similar problem as well, though that's more cast bloat at this point combined with the artwork of everyone looking the same so it makes it really hard to remember who's who. It reads better all at once rather than on a week to week basis since I did like World Trigger when I was reading it for the first time and was able to read everything in chunks.

On a side-note, Gakkyu Hotei has been dropping in the rankings for the last couple of weeks, falling all the way to last in this week's issue so it's probably not doing too well at the moment. Don't be too surprised if plot threads start accelerating for it.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Allarion posted:

Yeah, I still think Cyborg Roggy is the weakest of the 4 series, and I think it's because within 3 chapters, there's nothing really memorably distinctive about the character Roggy other than his design and he helps kids. Its setting has potential to be interesting but I'm not that attached to any of the characters introduced so far.

To be fair, World Trigger has a similar problem as well, though that's more cast bloat at this point combined with the artwork of everyone looking the same so it makes it really hard to remember who's who. It reads better all at once rather than on a week to week basis since I did like World Trigger when I was reading it for the first time and was able to read everything in chunks.

On a side-note, Gakkyu Hotei has been dropping in the rankings for the last couple of weeks, falling all the way to last in this week's issue so it's probably not doing too well at the moment. Don't be too surprised if plot threads start accelerating for it.

In Shonen Jump Alpha/Weekly alone, I've felt so much lost and heartbreak...

World Trigger is pretty boring. Does it rate well there?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
World Trigger tends to sit around at the bottom, typically sitting above Bleach and Kochikame. Bleach is just gonna run till it ends, and Kochikame is gonna run till the author dies, so I just treat World Trigger as the baseline for new series to beat since it manages to keep trucking along.

The top 5 are typically Assasination classroom, one piece, hero academia, Shokugeki no souma, and haikyuu. Toriko, gintama, Saiki, and Nisekoi tend to be the middle group.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 10, 2015

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Allarion posted:

Agreed. I actually like the series but it reads better in bulk for sure.

I am kind of surprised they aren't putting Assassination Classroom in yet, since they're putting out collected versions already in the US. I haven't read it yet but consistent official translation would probably give me incentive.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Dammit Ultra Battle Sattelite, I want to know the outcome of that match! Curious to see which series will get picked up. I still favor Black Clover since it did a decent job of world building and progression in 3 chapters, but I liked Kagamigami and UBS too.

Meanwhile in Gakkyu Hotei, I am laughing at the idea of an adult walking into an elementary school to challenge a kid to a courtroom battle. Wonder if he'll be like Von Karma. Jumping into a pool full of dead goldfish is kinda horrifying too :stonk:

I dunno if this is supposed to be the final case or not, since it doesn't feel like one yet. It's managed to get outta last place, but it's still in the bottom 5 so maybe the last couple of chapters got it to recover. Course, if the other important story stuff show up in this case DL-6 style, then I guess that's it.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Allarion posted:

Dammit Ultra Battle Sattelite, I want to know the outcome of that match! Curious to see which series will get picked up. I still favor Black Clover since it did a decent job of world building and progression in 3 chapters, but I liked Kagamigami and UBS too.

Meanwhile in Gakkyu Hotei, I am laughing at the idea of an adult walking into an elementary school to challenge a kid to a courtroom battle. Wonder if he'll be like Von Karma. Jumping into a pool full of dead goldfish is kinda horrifying too :stonk:

I dunno if this is supposed to be the final case or not, since it doesn't feel like one yet. It's managed to get outta last place, but it's still in the bottom 5 so maybe the last couple of chapters got it to recover. Course, if the other important story stuff show up in this case DL-6 style, then I guess that's it.

Yeah, good chapters all around. Pretty sure the goldfish were trapped at the bottom of the pool in a tank or something facing down, then somehow released. Which would make them shoot up and die. Which is kinda awesome.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family

Allarion posted:

I dunno if this is supposed to be the final case or not, since it doesn't feel like one yet.
Obata brought out fanservice this chapter, so I'm guessing there's still a chance for it to continue.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

MajorMarcus posted:

Obata brought out fanservice this chapter, so I'm guessing there's still a chance for it to continue.

Elementary school girls do not look like that!

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family

Skychrono posted:

Elementary school girls do not look like that!

Then you definitely won't like this week's chapter.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

MajorMarcus posted:

Then you definitely won't like this week's chapter.

Yeah, you weren't kidding about that. Don't really have much to comment on this week since all the new stuff is gone so it's just Gakkyu Hotei since all the other series have their own threads and World Trigger is absent this week. I'm gonna guess the pool is connected to somewhere else, which is where the goldfish came from.

Since Oda mentioned it in the closing comments, One Piece Tower looks like a pretty rad place to visit.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I did like the Zeus moment in Gakkyu Hotei, which was both cool and seems like a deliberate reference to Gant AND von Karma from Phoenix Wright.

It's weird to have such a short issue after almost two months of double-length tomes.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

(Double post)

Wooooooooo the best manga won the competition.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-03-30/viz-shonen-jump-adds-yuki-tabata-black-clover-fantasy-manga-to-regular-line-up/.86536

edit: Chapter 4 is in the next issue (#19), 5, 6, and 7 are in #20, and 8, 9, and 10 will be in the following issue.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family

Skychrono posted:

(Double post)

Wooooooooo the best manga won the competition.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-03-30/viz-shonen-jump-adds-yuki-tabata-black-clover-fantasy-manga-to-regular-line-up/.86536

edit: Chapter 4 is in the next issue (#19), 5, 6, and 7 are in #20, and 8, 9, and 10 will be in the following issue.
Awwwwwwwwwww yissssssss.

Also, new issue is up. I had a feeling that total internal reflection was used for the goldfish trick.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I am really bad at mysteries so I was way off the mark. Also pretty nice that Black Clover got picked. Was hoping for a double pickup but I assume if one of the other series gets big, Viz will take notice like they did with Hero Academia.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I'm hopeful for black clover but I haven't read anything besides he first three chapters. I think one of the main reasons I like it is because I feel like that sword looks like it's from Demon Souls.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
New issue is up.

Obata's at it again with a sexy sixth-grade version of Franziska Von Karma. I've seen quite a bit of fanservice before, but this is starting to creep me out.

Also, Black Clover is back!!!! I'm starting to feel a Fairy Tale vibe from it, though, so perhaps it wasn't the best choice...

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yeah, that sure is some grade-schooler all right :yikes:
And it's the beginning of the end after all, which isn't too surprising. Amused that prosecutors are armed though, so I guess he was planning to transition to have battle manga aspects at some point.

As for Black Clover, I don't see anything wrong with cribbing from Fairy Tail considering we already compare it to Rock Lee and Naruto. It's a pretty derivative manga at the moment, but I think it's being executed fairly well for what it is.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Yeah that black clover chapter felt a bit pointless after we already saw him smash someone in the qualifying round. Hope they get some more clear direction soon.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Apocron posted:

Yeah that black clover chapter felt a bit pointless after we already saw him smash someone in the qualifying round. Hope they get some more clear direction soon.

I guess it was just to introduce a new ability.

I haven't seen much Fairy Tail, how is this similar? All I remember from the episode or two I watched was long sequences to use the same attacks every episode and some meh dubbing.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
They both have chaotic fantasy guilds basically. The chapter did also introduce the other characters so there's that too.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Black Clover is so staggeringly mediocre and cliche so far.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
New issue day.

Black Clover should now be caught up with Japan (I think). My excitement for it is diminishing as it's brought out my least favorite shonen trope of new powers coming out of nowhere during a dire situation.

Also, more morally questionable fanservice in Gakkyu Hotei.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Gakkyu Hotei seems like it's working towards an ending. I saw in the comments of an issue once that it wasn't really doing that hot in Japan, so I'm wondering if that has something to do with it or if it was always going to be short.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Nah, it's been tanking in the rankings for the last couple of weeks, which is usually a strong indicator that it'll get canned soon. Course, some manage to stick around for various reasons, or they're Bleach/Kochikame so they can sit wherever and it doesn't mean much other than they're not at the top. That one ping-pong manga from a while back is still around surprisingly and is basically the other manga competing with Gakkyu Hotei for last place. Can only speculate why it's still around since it's not translated. I assume they want enough chapters for 1 or 2 volumes, so maybe they gave him enough leeway to finish its story arc. Gakkyu Hotei though looks like it's accelerating to the end though since it doesn't have the same serialized nature as a lot of other manga so it can end faster.

I haven't mentioned Black Clover's ranking since it's still pretty early on, so it could still potentially drop. It jumped from 8th to 3rd though, so that's impressive. We liked those chapters though so we'll have to see how it does for the later chapters. Roggy predictably got 3rd to last place, beaten out by ping pong and Gakkyu Hotei, so its prospects aren't great. Kagamigami has been doing pretty well in general, starting at 4th, then dropping slowly to 6th. If it keeps dropping, that's cause for concern but it's probably fine where it is now.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 13, 2015

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

MajorMarcus posted:

New issue day.

Black Clover should now be caught up with Japan (I think). My excitement for it is diminishing as it's brought out my least favorite shonen trope of new powers coming out of nowhere during a dire situation.

Also, more morally questionable fanservice in Gakkyu Hotei.

Unless I missed a week, next week will also have three chapters (like this one). Then we'll be caught up.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family

Skychrono posted:

Unless I missed a week, next week will also have three chapters (like this one). Then we'll be caught up.

Ah, I was just guessing based on the progress of the terrible scanlations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Black clover lacks depth of feeling but maybe the guy just feels pressure to play into easy shonen tropes since it's brand new. I hope he gets to work a bit more on characterisation and plot because it still feels pretty aimless. It's a bit like if Naruto skipped all the ninja training stuff and jumped straight to Zabuza.

• Locked thread