Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Do we really need more kerbal smilies?

(yes. Yes we do.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

readingatwork posted:

This is kind of an old post but as someone who works in the industry I want to assure you all that this just isn't true. You'd be shocked at some of the awful practices that have stopped because now there's someone in power that's actually paying attention.

Trust me, there's a reason Republicans want to kill it so badly.

I get that it does something. My point is that it's still basically window dressing compared to what would need to change to remove Wall Street's undue influence on American politics, and even this milquetoast regulation is the absolute furthest left stuff we can talk about within the Overton window. Isn't literally everything the CFPB doing already done in Europe?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

My Imaginary GF posted:

What level of election? If you ever work political finance, don't grab the tables for Federal contributions from FEC, as that would be a violation of campaign finance law. OpenSecrets is another place to look, and elections.*state*.gov will probably have state-level contribution database.

You're on your own for de-duping to figure out #unique contributors (in-district). I use ArcGIS for that, and it'll take about 2 days of computer once a quarter.
Looks like I may be out of luck. This is for a local/mayor race.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

JT Jag posted:

Would be better if it didn't turn green imo

Wanted to push the chameleon aspect, but it can be easily changed.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

ReidRansom posted:

OK well this is about as much work as I'm willing to put in on this.

It's beautiful and needs to be represented on the new page.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

readingatwork posted:

This is kind of an old post but as someone who works in the industry I want to assure you all that this just isn't true. You'd be shocked at some of the awful practices that have stopped because now there's someone in power that's actually paying attention.

Trust me, there's a reason Republicans want to kill it so badly.

Can you go into more detail about any of this? I'd love to hear some anecdotes.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

ReidRansom posted:

Wanted to push the chameleon aspect, but it can be easily changed.
In that case it should cycle between a few different colors when it sticks out its tongue. First time green, second time pink, and so on. If that doesn't make it too big that is.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

JT Jag posted:

In that case it should cycle between a few different colors when it sticks out its tongue. First time green, second time pink, and so on. If that doesn't make it too big that is.

Like as it's sticking its tongue out? Or pick a few colors and do a different one between each "Love Me"?

Amergin posted:

It's beautiful and needs to be represented on the new page.

I feel like the timing still needs work. May tweak it some more.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

ReidRansom posted:

Like as it's sticking its tongue out? Or pick a few colors and do a different one between each "Love Me"?
I suppose between each Love Me, like it is now, with her reverting to her normal flesh and blood form between each one.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Radbot posted:

I get that it does something. My point is that it's still basically window dressing compared to what would need to change to remove Wall Street's undue influence on American politics, and even this milquetoast regulation is the absolute furthest left stuff we can talk about within the Overton window. Isn't literally everything the CFPB doing already done in Europe?

The CFPB was never intended to remove wall st. money from politics and anything short of public campaign financing won't do poo poo to remove corporate money from politics. CFPB was setup to stop companies from doing a bunch of shady poo poo that made companies millions to billions loving people over on their credit cards, mortgages, and student loans to which it's been good. It's not perfect, but it's a vast improvement to what protections people had from those companies before it was setup.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Stultus Maximus posted:

That's not what he paid for.

Touché. :commissar:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I think it's time that we asked the important question: is Hillary Clinton prepared to lead this country or will she just bleed all over Washington DC?

In my opinion, our economy can't afford to meno-pause now.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

JT Jag posted:

I think it's time that we asked the important question: is Hillary Clinton prepared to lead this country or will she just bleed all over Washington DC?

Unbelievably, TIME Magazine answered this question.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

JT Jag posted:

I suppose between each Love Me, like it is now, with her reverting to her normal flesh and blood form between each one.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

JT Jag posted:

I read someone making a point about all the "Women can't lead our country! What if she gets on her period and nukes Russia?" misogyny by pointing out that during menstruation, women's hormones are at their closest to the typical male levels. As such, using their logic, post-menopausal women like Hilary Clinton are the only people suitable to govern the United States.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

A Winner is Jew posted:

The CFPB was never intended to remove wall st. money from politics and anything short of public campaign financing won't do poo poo to remove corporate money from politics. CFPB was setup to stop companies from doing a bunch of shady poo poo that made companies millions to billions loving people over on their credit cards, mortgages, and student loans to which it's been good. It's not perfect, but it's a vast improvement to what protections people had from those companies before it was setup.

I'm not looking to get Wall Street money out of politics - I'm looking for things like HFT taxes, removing the carried interest loophole, etc.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Radbot posted:

I'm not looking to get Wall Street money out of politics - I'm looking for things like HFT taxes, removing the carried interest loophole, etc.

How will that get their money outta politics? When there's a priviledge to gain by purchasing an exemption, political spending increases above baseline industry rates.

This is why I believe in the spirit of bi-partisanship, because when both parties support a legislative agenda, its so much simpler to peddle access to electeds so that they can hear you out and act without undue haste.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Actually, nothing is more believable than TIME doing a Hillary menopause story.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

My Imaginary GF posted:

How will that get their money outta politics? When there's a priviledge to gain by purchasing an exemption, political spending increases above baseline industry rates.

This is why I believe in the spirit of bi-partisanship, because when both parties support a legislative agenda, its so much simpler to peddle access to electeds so that they can hear you out and act without undue haste.

Like I said, I'm not interested in getting their money out of politics, I don't think it's possible.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

I read someone making a point about all the "Women can't lead our country! What if she gets on her period and nukes Russia?" misogyny by pointing out that during menstruation, women's hormones are at their closest to the typical male levels. As such, using their logic, post-menopausal women like Hilary Clinton are the only people suitable to govern the United States.

That was Greg Giraldo's bit, and it's amazing. :rip:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Radbot posted:

Carried interest loophole is well within the realm of possibility if congress flips back to being democrat controlled since they've already started to move on it before the 2010 disaster, but good loving luck getting a HFT tax. Best we can really hope for is for it to get regulated... which the SEC is gearing up to do.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Why can't we get an HFT tax?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Radbot posted:

Because it makes no sense to have a special tax that occurs only if you do x number of transactions per day.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Nintendo Kid posted:

Because it makes no sense to have a special tax that occurs only if you do x number of transactions per day.

Sure it does. http://www.investopedia.com/financial-edge/0113/has-high-frequency-trading-ruined-the-stock-market-for-the-rest-of-us.aspx

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Nintendo Kid posted:

A financial transaction tax wouldn't need to be tied to a specific frequency of trading; as long as it applied to the types of transactions HFT engages in then it would necessarily restrict it more than other financial activity.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Sentencing just came down on the Blackwater massacre of Nisoor Square. One got life, the other three got 30 years plus one day

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Radbot posted:

To my knowledge only Ellison and Van Hollen have actually come out in support of it while virtually all democrats still in congress along with Obama have supported closing the carried interest loophole. So while I'm optimistic about the latter actually happening I'm really skeptical about the former happening any time soon.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day, "This election is not just about what laws we will pass. It is a generational choice about what kind of country we will be.... Yesterday is over, and we are never going back. We Americans are proud of our history, but our county has always been about the future." ~ Marco Rubio, in about an hour.

I think there's a subtle implication here that Hillary and Jeb are super old you guys!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Nope still doesn't. Why do you want to let other rich people get away with moving huge amounts of stock if they just do it less frequently?

UberJew posted:

A financial transaction tax wouldn't need to be tied to a specific frequency of trading; as long as it applied to the types of transactions HFT engages in then it would necessarily restrict it more than other financial activity.

You're still not giving me a good reason we shouldn't tax all stock activity.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
IL Senator Mark Kirk would like to institute programs to make him less scared of black people

quote:

“I want to make sure we have elected people constantly looking at helping the African-American community,” Kirk said. “With this state and all of its resources, we could sponsor a whole new class of potential innovators like George Washington Carver and eventually have a class of African-American billionaires. That would really adjust income differentials and make the diversity and outcome of the state much better so that the black community is not the one we drive faster through."

As Charlie Pierce would say, I do despair of the rebranding.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Mark Kirk sure knows how to reference the one black scientist your elementary school teaches you about during Black History Month

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

“Hillary Clinton on this woman thing, I think, is lacking subtlety. I don’t need her to drown me in estrogen every time she opens her mouth.”

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Ahahahahaha holy gently caress

Gentlemen, start your drinking

This is worse than "Call me Dave" Cameron's proposal. There is no way to stop someone from running a program that doesn't comply with this proposal. That is the core thing if a general purpose computer, it can run any software. Banning the sale of crypto tools won't do anything, the only way to do it is to do away with general purpose computers and go to ones hard locked to only run "approved" software

Jesus gently caress, I need my bourbon

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, "This election is not just about what laws we will pass. It is a generational choice about what kind of country we will be.... Yesterday is over, and we are never going back. We Americans are proud of our history, but our county has always been about the future." ~ Marco Rubio, in about an hour.

I think there's a subtle implication here that Hillary and Jeb are super old you guys!
Reach for the future with us, the Regressive party.
Yeah, having a couple black billionaires will really fix that income inequality problem...

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

PupsOfWar posted:

Mark Kirk sure knows how to reference the one black scientist your elementary school teaches you about during Black History Month

Not to mention that Carver only wanted to help the world and wasn't really looking to make billions"

George Washington Carver's loving tombstone posted:

He could have added fortune to fame, but caring for neither, he found happiness and honor in being helpful to the world.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

Ahahahahaha holy gently caress

Gentlemen, start your drinking

This is worse than "Call me Dave" Cameron's proposal. There is no way to stop someone from running a program that doesn't comply with this proposal. That is the core thing if a general purpose computer, it can run any software. Banning the sale of crypto tools won't do anything, the only way to do it is to do away with general purpose computers and go to ones hard locked to only run "approved" software

Jesus gently caress, I need my bourbon

Now we don't want people to be at risk to outside threats with their security but gosh darn it makes it really hard to spy on you people whenever we want without a warrant or you knowing. Perhaps we can come to a compromise maybe like we can only spy on you when these other agencies, all set up to spy on you, say it's cool to spy on you?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Carlin flat-out says he expects you to disagree with Common Sense about half the time, and I think it's his sense of self-awareness that's the only thing keeping me from writing off his non-Hardcore History work completely, because some of the time he really come off as sounding like a South Park libertarian.

I mean, appending a disclaimer of "I'm a loving idiot" to everything you say doesn't actually improve my opinion of what you're saying. Points for honesty I guess?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

site posted:

Reach for the future with us, the Regressive party.

Yeah, having a couple black billionaires will really fix that income inequality problem...

Well when we elected a black man President that removed all career barriers to black people so...

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Fried Chicken posted:

Sentencing just came down on the Blackwater massacre of Nisoor Square. One got life, the other three got 30 years plus one day

So, if we count that CIA guy who blew the whistle on torture, there's now a whopping five people who've been jailed in connection to the Iraq War?

Wowww.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Fried Chicken posted:

Jesus Christ, reading the wikipedia page on this incident a loving judge originally dismissed all charges because some testimony was given in exchange for immunity? Thank loving God that an appeals court overturned that idiot judge. It's just a shame that Blackwater in its entirety won't be sent to prison.

• Locked thread