Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

As he's already gifted me a large sum of cash in the past I will have to pay some amount of tax on this

$12k per person per year is the taxable parent-to-child gift threshold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CharlesM posted:

It already has 314k miles, wouldn't you rather keep it stock? I dunno, just my thoughts.

I plan to. I'll tackle the rust and there's a few interior things that need to be fixed but otherwise it's going to be a daily.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

meatpimp posted:

$12k per person per year is the taxable parent-to-child gift threshold.

Not according to the state of Indiana.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

Not according to the state of Indiana.

... it's Federal. And doing their own thing with gift tax is another reason that Indiana sucks.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

meatpimp posted:

... it's Federal.

Indiana BMV says otherwise. They almost refused to title the Civic because "there's no way you bought a running car for $350" and wanted me to produce the seller to prove what I paid.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Indiana BMV says otherwise. They almost refused to title the Civic because "there's no way you bought a running car for $350" and wanted me to produce the seller to prove what I paid.

Government workers actually give a poo poo? About anything? What??

OneWhoKnows
Dec 6, 2006
I choo choo choooose you!
Picked up some truck equity for the wife:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

meatpimp posted:

That sounds like a challenge. :colbert:

I would never ever be so childis-

Private road and professional driver of course.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

That's a slide not a burnout. DENIED.

EDIT: ALSO THE ROAD LOOKS DAMP?!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Post a sick drift and I will post a burnout its on bitch :getin:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Joining the 300+mm burnout crew.

The piece of wood is to allow me entrance to my driveway.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
What the hell happened to your headlights?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
It was a quick craigslist purchase when I was looking to replace these:

I tried toothpaste and a headlight restore polish. Next step is wet sanding or new headlights.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Bape Culture posted:

Cool picture :)

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Pretend there's a bunch of smoke coming from the tires.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013

Bape Culture posted:

Nice

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

yessssssssssss

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

So unlike Photoshop McGee above, some of us know how to do real burnouts with foot-wide tires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNpfGuE7pns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLP1O2chpbk

YOUR MOVE SHITLORD

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Tremek posted:

YOUR MOVE SHITLORD

:drat:

I like this.

:munch:

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Tremek posted:

So unlike Photoshop McGee above, some of us know how to do real burnouts with foot-wide tires.

YOUR MOVE SHITLORD

I'll get the tow straps and zipties!

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Here it is dirty and blurry but you get the idea.

'12 RX350. It's ridiculous that a 54k mile car commanded the price it did but with the young age and options I'm happy. I don't rack up a lot of miles so it will roll them up much more slowly from here on out. I plan to keep it a long time.

Serviced every 5k miles at the Lexus dealer and it qualified as a CPO vehicle. I ended up paying to extended it an extra 3 years for a total of 6 years so I'll have the car paid off a year (at least) before the warranty on everything but consumables is out.

It's super plush, looks literally brand new inside and I get only 1 or 2 mpg less than my Subaru in my daily driving (short city commute). PO also added dealer installed DVD/game systems to both headrests so the little one will enjoy that when she gets older. Loving this car so far. After having had an LS400 for a few years I really wanted another Lexus. Unless something goes wrong I hope to keep this at least 10 years. The LS was about 24 yo when it started having hard to diagnose electrical /ECU issues.

E: The front end has some road rash/sandblast wear which tells me that the higher than average miles on this is almost certainly highway. Maybe a lot of mountain driving. Front brakes were replaced by dealer for CPO status and while rears are in CPO spec (barely), I can tell the rotors are worn as high speed braking gives just a little throbing.

Sten Freak fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 14, 2015

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

This post brought to you by Automotive Responsibility*

I decided to trade in the Genesis today for something more practical, as a place holder until the Civic Type R arrives in the US some time next year.
It's not tire-burning-exciting, but it is a small manual transmission hatchback, and I got a nice cash return considering I traded in a 2-year-old Hyundai.
2015 Fit EX, 6-speed manual. It's definitely not the prettiest thing in the world, but it's got decent handling and a useful and feature-packed interior (unlike the Genesis).

Fuel economy isn't too shabby so far, either:

*Sort of.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Imperador do Brasil posted:

*Sort of.

How close does the estimated fuel economy get to actual? My car tends to be around 2-2.5mpg too optimistic.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

davebo posted:

How close does the estimated fuel economy get to actual? My car tends to be around 2-2.5mpg too optimistic.

I find that every Honda I've had reads 2mpg optimistic.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Post your own ride - YOUR MOVE SHITLORD

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

meatpimp posted:

:drat:

I like this.

:munch:

Still waiting, kpflynn! We'll count clutch smoke as a pass so long as you post the 5-figure repair bill.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Jealous Cow posted:

Post your own ride - YOUR MOVE SHITLORD

This needs to be the new title. Please.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

Imperador do Brasil posted:

This post brought to you by Automotive Responsibility*

I decided to trade in the Genesis today for something more practical, as a place holder until the Civic Type R arrives in the US some time next year.
It's not tire-burning-exciting, but it is a small manual transmission hatchback, and I got a nice cash return considering I traded in a 2-year-old Hyundai.
2015 Fit EX, 6-speed manual. It's definitely not the prettiest thing in the world, but it's got decent handling and a useful and feature-packed interior (unlike the Genesis).

*Sort of.

A friend of mine has an older one. He said something like "you ain't gonna pick up any girls in it but it's great in every other way".

I kinda like the insectoid thing this and a few other new cars have going on.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Sten Freak posted:

"you ain't gonna pick up any girls in it but it's great in every other way".

Do any cars do that? Cool cars usually just attract other dudes.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Raluek posted:

The closest you can come is literally any ugly rear end convertible, even a Sebring.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I get cat-called (dog-called?) at least once a week when I'm driving the Miata regularly. Only by overweight women roughly twice my age.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I got a lot of honks and waves while driving my rusty, faded, banged up, slow camo painted 20,000lb heap of rolling scrap metal home from pennsylvania. I assume because it was convertible (had the top off!) And they thought I was in the military or something.

Great view from up there, too :pervert:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Ramsus posted:

Well boys, since growing up watching mad max and having an uncle that owns a salvage yard and is into old cars I've always wanted an old beater muscle car.

I'm looking at this 4 speed 62 Cutlass tomorrow. It's significantly cheaper than the price in the window, and it runs, drives and stops so the owner says. Claims there isn't any rust, but the lights aren't wired and the interior is pretty bare. Plans for it will be to stop any rust I find and keep its sort of beater look. I would like to make the interior relatively nice though.

It should have the Olds variant of the 215 aluminum V8 that became the Rover V8. Not the highest HP, but the car is relatively light. It's actually a variation of the Corvair chassis, if you can believe it.

Ramsus posted:

I went out and looked at it today. I told the guy I'd think about it. The body has been put on a pontiac frame, and it has a pontiac 301. The fenders don't line up with the hood correctly, so the hood doesn't quite shut on the back side of it. There is a 1 1/2 inch gap between the fenders and doors that I'm not sure could be adjusted to fit correctly. There is a hole in the firewall. The thing is a mess.

On the other hand it looks awesome if you stand back about 20 ft and I really want it. The lowest I got him was $1,250 and that includes delivering it to my house. He claims the 4 speed is worth more than that.

Well, poo poo. The Pontiac chassis shouldn't be a problem (except, I'm pretty sure those are unibodies...), but the 301 is a crime. Just means you'll have to shove in an Olds 403, right?

Fake edit: Yep, unibody. Which means, if it's actually on a different chassis, that it's been hacked up. Sad.

Bape Culture posted:

Smh that's not a burnout that's "driving to work with more than 200hp" :mrgw:

No joke. I've discovered that traction control is a must in the P71, since I haven't driven anything with actual torque and horsepower since the trans mission shat itself in my Cutlass. Ford seems to have done OK with the drive-by-wire, too. I really can't tell, unless the traction control is reining it in.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Sten Freak posted:

A friend of mine has an older one. He said something like "you ain't gonna pick up any girls in it but it's great in every other way".

I kinda like the insectoid thing this and a few other new cars have going on.

It's a good things I'm married then. My biggest concern was whether or not the wife was going to like it. She drove it home from dinner last night and had good things to say.
I had an '09 Fit when it was new and I loved it but this one is worlds better.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
2 fits in a row? She's gonna leave you for sure, she just hasnt worked up the nerve to say it.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
My mom just bought a brand new Fit. She got a purple one.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

MattD1zzl3 posted:

2 fits in a row? She's gonna leave you for sure, she just hasnt worked up the nerve to say it.

He's probably had 10 cars since his last fit, he's the very definition of Automotive ADHD

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

corn in the fridge posted:

My mom just bought a brand new Fit. She got a purple one.

Does she call it "sporty"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Raluek posted:

I thought the same until the Lambo. It definitely attracts women. I mean, not great women, but women. I've had cars full of girls follow me into gas stations multiple times now.