Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Merlinicus
May 3, 2011
Is Mad Hatter ever going to reappear? I was thinking he was gone for good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Merlinicus posted:

Is Mad Hatter ever going to reappear? I was thinking he was gone for good.

Probably not because the actor is very, very busy.

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

Probably not because the actor is very, very busy.

Kind of weird to release a graphic novel with his backstory then. I would think.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I dunno, I would think half the reason for tie-in media is featuring characters that cannot be on the television show, either due to time restrictions or the schedules of the performers who play them.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Yeah, not being able to get the actors just makes using the characters in other media make more sense. And then if they're able to get the actor later after all, hey, maybe there will be extra interest.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Flatscan posted:

Your parents named you Rumplestiltskin? What a pair of bastards.

Sometimes, I kind of wish. They chose Priscilla, which came just a scant but higher than Narcissa and this was BEFORE any books or hype with the names. Sadists, the lot of them.

As for the using characters we might not see, well, besides Hatter in this book, the first graphic novel was all about Huntsman and had Red in it too, so that bodes ill for those two characters.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.

Pan Dulce posted:

Sometimes, I kind of wish. They chose Priscilla, which came just a scant but higher than Narcissa and this was BEFORE any books or hype with the names. Sadists, the lot of them.

As for the using characters we might not see, well, besides Hatter in this book, the first graphic novel was all about Huntsman and had Red in it too, so that bodes ill for those two characters.

Priscilla ain't a bad name. My husband has said he wants to name our next daughter (if that ever happens) Beatrice, so it could be worse.

No offense to Bea Arthur.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
that was awesome I'd watch a show that was just rumple constantly getting owned by women he has wronged. it's really hard to feel bad for him when they've made him so cartoonishly evil but robert carlyle still makes it fun

congrats marian, you get the award for worst death on ouat

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

That was a pretty crazy twist, and I'm glad to have more Zelena. But was she faking the frozen curse or was she actually affected? Because as I recall Regina pulled out her heart, and I feel like they would have been able to tell it was Zelena's.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!

ShakeZula posted:

That was a pretty crazy twist, and I'm glad to have more Zelena. But was she faking the frozen curse or was she actually affected? Because as I recall Regina pulled out her heart, and I feel like they would have been able to tell it was Zelena's.
One one hand I was thinking 'Wait, you're absolutely right,' while on the other hand I was also thinking, 'Whenever something happens you can't explain - A wizard did it.'

While I don't think the Zelena twist was a clean and organic turn, it's still an enjoyable plot to bring her back. Marian was such a dull character. Just like her boring son.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Andrew_1985 posted:

Marian was such a dull character. Just like her boring son.

Yeah. Although her son looks like a monkey with dimples. Probably why Regina gave him a monkey doll. Not that that isn't adorable. He WAS staring at the mirror while dad and Zelena-mom kissed. Wonder if he knows?

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
I thought he was watching TV.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Yeah, I didn't get the feeling he was looking at the mirror either. Otherwise he would have freaked out I think.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Once again, rather than have a legitimate relationship stand in the way of true love, the other woman is actually evil.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Dazerbeams posted:

Once again, rather than have a legitimate relationship stand in the way of true love, the other woman is actually evil.

It's for the best. In a Disney universe you can't plausibly have a hero abandoning his wife (and young child) to hook up with the genocidal despot who unjustly put her on death row.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's totally a cheat that she's still alive, because her explanation as to why was "Nuh uh!" and there's a ton of stuff you have to hand wave to make it work, but who cares? It's worth it just to see Bex Mader get an opportunity to sink her teeth into the scenery in a way delicious enough to probably make Robert Carlisle jealous, and it will provide a way to do away with the frankly tedious Marion and Robin Hood plot while still allowing Christie Laing to stick with the show, and, in fact, actually do some acting instead of playing "dutiful wife with no personality." She was the only woman on the show that existed as a prop, and now she's a Wicked Witch disguise. Wicked awesome, more like.

I'm also glad they're finally doing episodes that really, really focus in on a few character to the exclusion of others; the cast was getting a little too crowded to try to give everybody equal footing except in the flashbacks every week.

Bunnita
Jun 12, 2002

Was it everything you thought it would be?
I did not see that coming, and yes it takes some hand waiving but I still liked it, this is the universe where somehow Neil's apartment in New York is still empty and a shop whose owner had been gone long enough for some serious dust to settle (not sure how much time had actually had passed between him dying and Robin being there) was vacant and not being repossessed. If I can suspend my belief for those I can buy that Marion was Zelena the whole time in Storybrook.

I do like how they explained away the different actor for Robin Hood stealing the potion or whatever to save Marion. Even I'd have to rewatch but did Rumple recognize him? Again with hand waiving, Rumple would have taken the necklace while torturing him, but still, it gives a little bit of a way out, and I'll take it. Though then Belle recognized him, whatever it works :)

It has to be nice for the actors to pretty much have had a full week off there, but I do want to see more of Hook! He's been nothing but 'good boyfriend' this back half of the season, and while a happy couple is kind of boring compared to one who is angsty or still figuring things out, I really enjoy his and Emma's interactions.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm also glad will was in this episode a little. I vow that each time I watch this, the day after it airs, I will be banging my fork and spoon on the table and yelling "More Knave of Hearts! More Knave of Hearts!" because they seem to have decided to hire him as part of the main cast so that he can drop in on a scene and administer some evasive street wisdom, then sit on the sidelines twiddling his thumbs.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The knife and spoon will be plastic, against a high chair, because I love this baby show for babies and am a huge baby.

Bunnita
Jun 12, 2002

Bicyclops posted:

I'm also glad will was in this episode a little. I vow that each time I watch this, the day after it airs, I will be banging my fork and spoon on the table and yelling "More Knave of Hearts! More Knave of Hearts!" because they seem to have decided to hire him as part of the main cast so that he can drop in on a scene and administer some evasive street wisdom, then sit on the sidelines twiddling his thumbs.

Is there a timeline for him pinned down at all? I know there is speculation, I read the wiki, but every time I see him I have to wonder where he is in his own personal timeline. When was he in Oz? And while we're there, Mr 'I can't find a portal to real earth' seems to have revolving doors to other realms, a doorway to Oz? He went and visited Dr Frankenstein too, apparently 'portals to everywhere but where you actually are dying to go' are pretty common.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Bicyclops posted:

The knife and spoon will be plastic, against a high chair, because I love this baby show for babies and am a huge baby.

it is my favorite show

nothing else really keeps amping up the crazy like ouat. I never know where they're going to go and anything is possible because it is literally live action fanfiction

I am a big gay baby with gay baby taste

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Troposphere posted:

it is my favorite show

nothing else really keeps amping up the crazy like ouat. I never know where they're going to go and anything is possible because it is literally live action fanfiction

Yeah, my wife got me into it and I was like "Tch, yeah, like I'm going to get into the Disney fractured fairy tales show" and now I'm like "I can't wait for Lana Parilla to say something sarcastic and Robbie Carlysle to do that little 'Ta-DAH!' with his hands! I love Storybrooke!"

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How is it hand waving? Did you think that they'd just forget that her green essence opened the time portal and not have it come to have bigger implications? The writers are kind of predictable, but not that bad.

Bunnita
Jun 12, 2002

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How is it hand waving? Did you think that they'd just forget that her green essence opened the time portal and not have it come to have bigger implications? The writers are kind of predictable, but not that bad.

We did see that come from her jewel and the time portal responded to Emma's wishes which implied she went through first, so why didn't Zelena go through right as she opened it?

Like I said I'm fine with it, but it does kind of feel a bit tacked on later.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I've already forgotten; can someone remind me why Zelena asked her monkey to date Emma while she and Henry were still mindwiped?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Bunnita posted:

Is there a timeline for him pinned down at all? I know there is speculation, I read the wiki, but every time I see him I have to wonder where he is in his own personal timeline. When was he in Oz? And while we're there, Mr 'I can't find a portal to real earth' seems to have revolving doors to other realms, a doorway to Oz? He went and visited Dr Frankenstein too, apparently 'portals to everywhere but where you actually are dying to go' are pretty common.

Presumably it's a bit easier to portal to and from lands that have magic.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Did anyone catch the hidden Mickey in Walsh's shop? Or were you too distracted by Robin being a crappy thief or the Dollar Store elements of the supposed healing potion?

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Troposphere posted:

it is my favorite show

it's so true.

Also sometimes I make my husband watch it with me, but whenever that happens, it's an episode with like THE WORST EFFECTS. It's never one that either uses alright effects or just doesn't have scenes needing them, it's ALWAYS THE WORST ONES.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?
I've never seen anyone post these before so I hope I'm not just linking to something everyone knows about, but my favourite part of every episode is this chick's reviews every week. The best line this time was "But before she could call, OUAT launched into a 40-minute, in-depth origin story of a Disney character so tertiary he was portrayed by a fox."

[Url] http://www.tv.com/m/shows/once-upon-a-time-2011/community/post/once-upon-a-time-season-4-episode-18-heart-of-gold-review-142860921175/[/Url]

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Does anyone have a gif of Rumple's irritated hand twirl and scowl while he was on Neverland? I think that is one of the greatest little moments of the show, as if the character himself realized how absurd all of the magic drama really was and couldn't wait to be done with it all.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Dazerbeams posted:

Does anyone have a gif of Rumple's irritated hand twirl and scowl while he was on Neverland? I think that is one of the greatest little moments of the show, as if the character himself realized how absurd all of the magic drama really was and couldn't wait to be done with it all.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I really can't wait for tomorrow's Cruella episode. She's had some of the best lines this season.

Kinda hope she sticks around in some capacity. Perhaps she could live in a mansion and throw gin soirees.

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
Well so much for the villains having some sort of redeeming quality, Cruella is pretty much the single most evil entity that's been on this show yet...

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

GLOSS posted:

Well so much for the villains having some sort of redeeming quality, Cruella is pretty much the single most evil entity that's been on this show yet...

On the other hand, she never kidnapped a baby, poisoned its soul, and remained unrepentant about it decades later...

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
I don't like that killing someone who is threatening to kill a child and is pointing a gun at said child's head is considered murder in this world. This is textbook justifiable homicide and it's stupid that the writers think this should turn Emma's heart black.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

It's Disney. The good guys fight mainly to maim, not kill. Killing's just always the fortunate circumstance for the heroes and even then, the killing strike is never shown on screen in your face like that. Besides, if that reasoning that justifiable homicide doesn't blacken one's heart stands, then why would Snow's heart have gone black when she killed Cora? She DEFINITELY deserved it.

I was prepared to be extremely bored with Cruella's episode, but drat, that was a wild ride. I love how the Author/Peddler, meddling and sneaky man that he is, totally got fooled by a sociopath, to the point that he involved himself in a tale, helped, and fell in love. That twist was epic.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Local Author Played Like Fiddle

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Cruella's "Happy Ending" was to be able to murder again. :stonklol:

Pan Dulce fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Apr 20, 2015

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Dammit, why did they kill Cruella? That was a great story for her was super-disappointing for them to just kill her off.

Having her neutered making pithy comments would've been grand.

I know this half-season has been all about corrupting Emma and they've been making her makeup crap, but drat, they went OTT this week.

Strap yourself in for either Emma Repemption in Season 5 or a quick wrapup with a lot of whining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Pan Dulce posted:

Cruella's "Happy Ending" was to be able to murder again. :stonklol:

Look at the manic glee in Victoria Smurfit's eyes. This show is like a big scoop of bubblegum ice cream at the end of the week's TV meal.

• Locked thread