Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Her website Twitchy is like a hive of republican idiocy sexism, homophobia, ageism etc

I figured as much, but she had a hard time differentiating herself from Coulter and Gellar even back when it was still cutting edge to be a hyper-strident professional cable news guest commentator. I can only imagine her audience has dwindled immensely since the good old days of 2003.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Admittedly, it's impressive that with a field of eight candidates (Bush, Walker, Rubio, Cruz, Paul, Huckabee, Perry, and Santorum) they've got three Hispanics.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Joementum posted:

Admittedly, it's impressive that with a field of eight candidates (Bush, Walker, Rubio, Cruz, Paul, Huckabee, Perry, and Santorum) they've got three Hispanics.

:lol::lol:

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Joementum posted:

Cruz is Hispanic like my pet cats are technically lions.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
It was four back when Romney was in town.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Arkane posted:

The 1999 thing was a Prince reference, bros, not a specific thing about that year.

Sorry, I'm pretty sure it was actually Huey Lewis and the News

oh god he's Patrick Bateman

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Beeftweeter posted:

Sorry, I'm pretty sure it was actually Huey Lewis and the News

Probably a bad idea to make Huey Lewis references in a race with this guy.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo

Professor Funk posted:

I've heard many criticisms of Rubio and this has never, ever been one of them.
Sorry, I should have been more specific with my criticism -- he's a good public speaker (with the exception of the SOTU response) in a setting where he doesn't get challenged, but when he actually has to defend his ideas, and gets challenged, I don't see him as particularly impressive from what I've seen of him in past FL debates and on Sunday shows. Then again, compared to a Scott Walker or Mitt Romney, the guy's practically inspirational.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Joementum posted:

Probably a bad idea to make Huey Lewis references in a race with this guy.

I thought I was being a little too subtle so I added something there.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Campaign official tells NBC news that Hillary packed snacks for the road trip. The snacks include almonds.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

railroad terror posted:

Sorry, I should have been more specific with my criticism -- he's a good public speaker (with the exception of the SOTU response) in a setting where he doesn't get challenged, but when he actually has to defend his ideas, and gets challenged, I don't see him as particularly impressive from what I've seen of him in past FL debates and on Sunday shows. Then again, compared to a Scott Walker or Mitt Romney, the guy's practically inspirational.

Scott Walker, Jeb Bush, Hillary Clinton and maybe a gotcha or two from the chorus are all he's going to be debating against. There's no Obama in that deck.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

On the third party talk, weighing in from Canada, we've got a FPTP-style voting system and effectively just the Parliament, with the Prime Minister being whoever holds majority there, meaning our system is designed to favor whoever can snag a plurality even moreso, and third (and fourth) parties have resulted in a long-lasting and extremely powerful Conservative government that's done irreparable harm.

Ironically, we got ourselves into this situation when the progressive third party had a strong showing and the centrist liberals who usually got all the leftist strategic voters was crashing hard, so now we're in a situation where the center and left votes can't figure out who to rally behind as the "anybody but the Tories" party. And even then, we only got to this point over long decades of building up a left-wing alternative to the Liberals at the Provincial level and then serving as a minority opposition voice in Parliament (and getting good exposure by supporting minority Liberal governments to pass left-wing legislation). It's not exactly an enviable situation, so there's something to those "A vote for [underdog] is a vote for [bad guy]" arguments.

A third party isn't impossible, but it's definitely something that takes a lot of time and effort and has to build from the ground up. Getting representatives or even Senators elected first, not as Independents but as actual party-members, would probably have to happen to lay the groundwork before any Presidential bid. An Independent could always hypothetically swoop in and seize the top spot - even card-carrying nutcase Ross Perot managed 20% of the presidential vote - but if they're actually Presidential caliber then working within a party structure is just a natural strategic choice.

The best-situated group in America to do something like that recently is probably the Tea Party, who probably could've sent a few Reps under their own banner to Congress, although they've probably been more effective within the Republican party by forcing it to lurch to the right so that Presidential candidates have to pay them lip service in the Primary. The most effective way for leftists to affect the Democrats would probably be to organize within the Democratic primary machinery.

AndNowMax
Sep 25, 2009

Fighting the fight for *mumble* *mumble*
So why is Perry a complete non-starter to everyone? He was the front runner for a while in 2011 and it seems like a lot of his erratic decisions and poor debate performances could be explained by his health problems and pill addiction. If he got those things under control in the past four years, what's stopping him from being a viable contender? His legal troubles? Splitting the Texas money with Cruz?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Joementum posted:

Campaign official tells NBC news that Hillary packed snacks for the road trip. The snacks include almonds.

Big Legumes isn't going to be pleased to see Hillary coming out in favor of nuts. Will be interesting to see how this develops.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

AndNowMax posted:

So why is Perry a complete non-starter to everyone? He was the front runner for a while in 2011 and it seems like a lot of his erratic decisions and poor debate performances could be explained by his health problems and pill addiction. If he got those things under control in the past four years, what's stopping him from being a viable contender? His legal troubles? Splitting the Texas money with Cruz?

Health problems, pill addiction, and, uh.....

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

fade5 posted:

Felt a sense of dread when seeing this, took a second to realize why:

So given that PNAC signer Jeb Bush is also running, is Rubio using dog-whistle or just a straight-up whistle here?
I think it's meaningful shorthand. You know where Rubio stands on foreign policy. Ignoring the PNAC implications it's a horrible slogan and New Century branding is laughable in 2015.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

AndNowMax posted:

Because he made a fool of himself running in 2011 while on pain pills. He has a non-zero chance of winning the nomination, but he's in what I'd consider the second tier of candidates with Paul and Huckabee where he'll need something to significantly change about the nature of the race to give him a legitimate chance of winning.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Also, everybody was a front runner at some point in 2011-2012.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

What... what does this even mean?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

paranoid randroid posted:

Yes, but Perry was unique among them in that he had an actual chance of capturing the nomination, but failed because he made critical mistakes. This has happened to other people who have gone on to have successful nominations. The question is whether Perry's mistakes in 2011 were fatal to his future chances. If the current field weren't packed with better candidates, his comeback would be more likely.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

ShutteredIn posted:

What... what does this even mean?

How dare she go into a restaurant and just order like a normal human instead of obnoxiously shaking everybody's hands and telling them "Hi I'm Hillary I'm running for president".

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Pinterest Mom posted:

How dare she go into a restaurant and just order like a normal human instead of obnoxiously shaking everybody's hands and telling them "Hi I'm Hillary I'm running for president".

It's what Bill would have done.

AndNowMax
Sep 25, 2009

Joementum posted:

Because he made a fool of himself running in 2011 while on pain pills. He has a non-zero chance of winning the nomination, but he's in what I'd consider the second tier of candidates with Paul and Huckabee where he'll need something to significantly change about the nature of the race to give him a legitimate chance of winning.

But is the electorate's memory really that long, or is it something else like the monied interests don't want to give him a chance to humiliate them again?

paranoid randroid posted:

Ha fair enough. But I don't think anyone really thought any of the other candidates were going to ultimately beat Romney, except for Perry there near the beginning.

e: beaten

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I know Rubio CAN speak but I just can't stop seeing him lick his lips every 3 seconds. It consumes me when he speaks.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Full Battle Rattle posted:

If you're a Republican please vote for Rand Paul because I wanna see what happens.

This but Newt Gingrich instead.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

AndNowMax posted:

But is the electorate's memory really that long, or is it something else like the monied interests don't want to give him a chance to humiliate them again?
A little of both but the silent primary can kill him a lot sooner than the public. One of the fun parts of when Fred Thompson realized he didn't want to campaign in 07-08 was how bitter everyone got after they rushed to endorse him.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

AndNowMax posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uvmKnFY4uk

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Only one link? Even Perry had three things in mind, even if he couldn't remember the third :colbert:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I think there was a certain ranch name scandal, too, that hardly even got the chance to get underway before it was obvious that Perry was out of the race. Regardless, if he actually looked like he was taking the lead he'd have to defuse that one and I don't know if he can.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Rrrrrrrrr...

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Nietzschean posted:

This but Newt Gingrich instead.

Didn't a goon make these? I can't find the site you could buy them from.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Sir Tonk posted:

Rrrrrrrrr...
Rand's eying that fine Kenny Rogers Roasters chicken

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Sir Tonk posted:

Rrrrrrrrr...

Rand is a 2016 presidential candidate in the same way that I am, we will probably even take the same number of primaries.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
Marco Rubio has announced his campaign to become a Republican candidate for president of the United States, you guys

AndNowMax
Sep 25, 2009

B B posted:

"Oops"

I mean this was sort of the capstone of his poor debate performances in general, but in isolation I never thought it was THAT bad. We all forget dumb crap, and it seemed weird to focus on the soundbite rather than the dumbbaby idiot idea it was trying to communicate.

As for the ranch, didn't it get its name way before Perry started hunting there? Not that it makes it ok, but I feel like most people were able to hand-wave that away by just going "yeah places used to have racist names.

These things were both bad, but I've never been convinced either of them were silver bullets that killed Perry's campaign

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://wonkette.com/582675/carly-fiorina-thinks-hillary-clinton-is-a-lightweight-unlike-carly-fiorina

quote:

You ran for Senate and lost. You worked for John McCain, you were moved off that campaign, and he lost. You had a tenure at Hewlett-Packard that a lot of people describe as extremely rocky, destroying jobs and destroying the company’s reputation. Are you really the right person to be criticizing Hillary Clinton’s accomplishments or lack thereof?

Well, come to think of it, maybe those failures are worth mentioning. Or maybe it’s all just liberal Democrat Party bias? Yes, that must be it.

“Well, you clearly have been reading the Democratic talking points,” Fiorina replied, to which Brzezinski said she has been reading Fortune magazine and The New York Times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJjSDTOLTcY

Huh, wasn't expecting anyone to call Fiorina on her bullshit.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
A question for the thread about Hillary's campaign. Assuming she gets the democractic ticket, does she have Obama publicly support her or does he do more damage than good with his current level of popularity?

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

AndNowMax posted:

I mean this was sort of the capstone of his poor debate performances in general, but in isolation I never thought it was THAT bad. We all forget dumb crap, and it seemed weird to focus on the soundbite rather than the dumbbaby idiot idea it was trying to communicate.

As for the ranch, didn't it get its name way before Perry started hunting there? Not that it makes it ok, but I feel like most people were able to hand-wave that away by just going "yeah places used to have racist names.

These things were both bad, but I've never been convinced either of them were silver bullets that killed Perry's campaign

Yeah no, he had one agenda to push, and the cornerstone of his agenda, the thing that is supposed to qualify him for president, the thing that will save the country and is supposedly his entire platform, he only remembers 2/3rds of it. The two primary traits that no president can be without are the ability to command a room and the ability to smoothly bullshit around anything including your own memory gaps. Its not like everyone is entitled at a shot at the office, if you cant play the game then get out motherfucker, and those are some pretty crucial ground rules.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

AndNowMax posted:

Perry was bad in every debate. It wasn't a few mistakes that sunk him.

PotatoManJack posted:

A question for the thread about Hillary's campaign. Assuming she gets the democractic ticket, does she have Obama publicly support her or does he do more damage than good with his current level of popularity?
If Obama isn't popular enough to get a convention speech Hillary is going to be in big trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

PotatoManJack posted:

2016 will be about turning out the base and Obama is better than anyone else at that. He'll absolutely support the nominee in her campaign.

• Locked thread