Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

zoux posted:

Uh is there another way to become an Iron Fist?

No, but they could do a whole "vision quest " thing or whatever. I want there to be some Man on Dragon action and they should lead with that.

The first scene should just be him punching a dragon to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014
So people see them going full mystic with the Iron Fist series?

I'm not so sure. It might all come off a little Mortal Komabt-y! Even if Strange comes out before the series I doubt they'll have bought enough to go all 'THERES ALL THESE CITIES IN HEAVEN GUYS'.

Then again marvel haven't disappointed me so far so it'll probably be amazing whatever they do.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sorvah posted:

I'm not so sure. It might all come off a little Mortal Komabt-y! Even if Strange comes out before the series I doubt they'll have bought enough to go all 'THERES ALL THESE CITIES IN HEAVEN GUYS'.

Then again marvel haven't disappointed me so far so it'll probably be amazing whatever they do.

They basically have to if they want to follow the comics. Iron Fist is very mystic. I'd be pretty disappointed if they tried to make it 'realistic' since that's Luke Cage's thing. That's why they're a duo, Luke is the real world and Iron Fist is MORTAL KOMBAT world. It'd be kinda lame if Luke was the real world and Fist was the slightly glowy handed real world.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Medullah posted:

There's a Spider-Woman series coming too? :D

Instead of Netflix that one's coming to Cinemax.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

A martial arts / mystic kung fu style television series sounds like something Marvel will take a chance on it makes sense as well. They seem to be taking some big chances right now with Ant-Man, The Netflix television series and Doctor Strange so I think it'll be full on mystical. I mean they have Stone in the Daredevil series.

Also they already introduced the concept of "Realms" with Thor so there being 7 Magical Cities isn't insane it's already been introduced that there are multiple realms.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 13, 2015

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Dexo posted:

Man, it doesn't even seem like Doctor Strange is gonna be out before Iron Fist. That sucks. Really wish they could have done a deep dive. But doubt they do it with Strange probably being what introduces magic

Well, they kind of already introduced the concept of flat out magic with everything relating to Thor and Asgard. Some of the stuff they can handwave as technology, but Mjolnir and Loki are straight up magic. I'm a bit curious to see what they are going to do with Scarlet Witch though.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Sorvah posted:

There is literally nothing to Iron Fist without the mystic bullshit. It's the entire point. Just a dude going "Welp, gently caress it, time to summon my Chi and punch a train to death. Probably going to die, peace out.".

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah, he has a glowing fist that he punches things with that he's summoned with his Chi, it's probably why their doing his series last so that the other series can slowly introduce concepts from that and get really far out there.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
More gifs. :nws: :nms:

1x03

1x04

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014
I think it's pretty obvious at this point that my only real exposure to iron Fist (oo-er) is through crossover related stuff and Heroes for Hire, I've never really seen him in his mystic mode.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sorvah posted:

I think it's pretty obvious at this point that my only real exposure to iron Fist (oo-er) is through crossover related stuff and Heroes for Hire, I've never really seen him in his mystic mode.

Yea in his crossovers he's just a semi-mystic kung-fu man but his actual story is 100% kung fu magic bullshit. The man literally inherits his powers by punching a dragon's lava heart, that's day 1 basics for an Iron Fist.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Personally, i'm hoping for Shang Chi to show up in Iron Fist.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

PunkBoy posted:

Gifs!

1x01

I forgot all about the guy in the chair. Is he even a part of the gang or just some guy eating a sandwich and watching some white slaving go down?

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

Grinning Goblin posted:

Well, they kind of already introduced the concept of flat out magic with everything relating to Thor and Asgard. Some of the stuff they can handwave as technology, but Mjolnir and Loki are straight up magic. I'm a bit curious to see what they are going to do with Scarlet Witch though.

They also implied that Asgard's Magic was really just super advanced technology. Not even in a subtle way. Thor basically outright says it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Stunt Rock posted:

They also implied that Asgard's Magic was really just super advanced technology. Not even in a subtle way. Thor basically outright says it.

The earliest I can recall this in Marvel is some 70's page from Dr Strange where he says almost the exact same line.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Can we have a moment to appreciate just how loving good Scott Glenn was as Stick.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Can we have a moment to appreciate just how loving good Scott Glenn was as Stick.

There were moments when I was watching Daredevil and I forgot that David Carradine was dead and that Scott Glenn wasn't David Carradine.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

Steve Yun posted:

There were moments when I was watching Daredevil and I forgot that David Carradine was dead and that Scott Glenn wasn't David Carradine.

"Isn't that the plot to Kung Fu."

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Stunt Rock posted:

Magic doesn't stop being magic just because people call it scientific. Gods, angels, and demons are aliens residing in other dimensions even in the actual myths even if they aren't called that. The whole "science vs magic" thing is silly. Same thing. That also gets said in Thor.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I wonder will Misty Knight and/or Colleen Wing make it in to either the Luke Cage or Iron-Fist show? They're not entirely necessary to the Immortal Iron-Fist story by any means, but Danny's friends as a gang did play a pretty big part in the whole she-bang and while that could be changed to Luke, Jessica and Hellcat or something, I'm hoping at least Misty Knight makes it in just because (a) afro's are cool and (b) she has a bionic arm and I want to see someone with a bionic arm beating the poo poo out of folks on my tv, especially if it's beside a more mystical ninja man to contrast the two means towards the same objective.

Also, since I'm not familiar with Luke Cage outside of Iron-Fist and some Avengers stuff that's probably close to a decade old at this point, what should I be expecting in terms of tone or story? Is there much there outside the Heroes for Hire stuff to adapt as a solo story even? Has there been something in the last few years comparable to the Immortal Iron-Fist series to make an adaptation from. I know his basic back story and powers, but beyond that and the above appearances I'm really fairly blank on the character.

achillesforever6 posted:

I would like a Runaways series

I want Tina Fey to write a She-Hulk episodic comedy with Hercules as the other major character. Have her work for Goodman, Lieber, Kurtzberg, & Holliway in some episodes, but not tied to the job and able to go on road trips, time travel and other silly poo poo as desired by the writing team. Want to do a story about the two of them punching nazis in 1940's Marvel WWII? gently caress it, road trip through Germany it is. Hercules and She-Hulk, Agents of SHIELD? Go for it. Hell, have them do a crossover episode with the Guardians of the Galaxy animation, where she defends them before the Tribunal in SPAAAAAAACE, with the entire episode bar the opening minute where she's kidnapped for the trial animated and using it to poke even more fun than usual at it's cast.

Most everyone is looking for gritty or dark series like Blade, Moon Knight, Punisher etc off the back of Daredevil, but while I'm definitely in favor of those I'm hoping there's more fun stuff on the way too. Give me a ROM: Space Knight series (though I think there's some legal debacle surrounding the character), Deadpool (though I imagine he'll get a movie instead if anything), Gravity as a psuedo-Spider-man, Runaways like you suggested and more sunny, light-hearted tv shows too.

tsob fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 14, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Scott Glen is amazing and wonderful.

edit: I still can't believe that Marvel has not done a Shang Chi foreign film. Now that would be amazing. With how huge the market is in China it'd be incredibly popular.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 14, 2015

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Deadpool is confirmed to be getting a movie, it's filming right now.

I want a light-hearted Nova series, with the Sam Alexander version of Nova. High school kid finds out his deceased dad was actually a black ops soldier in the Space Police, and can get superpowers from putting on his helmet, and is then trained in the use of these powers (which includes being able to communicate with a sentient supercomputer made up of the collective knowledge of an alien species) by protector of earth, an ageless alien who lives on the moon.

I also really want a Young Avengers series.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
In a sense Alias is as dark as Marvel has ever gone, as it's about the total disintegration of someone's life in the face of horrific abuse and where she goes from there. It makes everything else they have look so explicitly childish in comparison. If Frank Castle went through what Jessica Jones did, he wouldn't have killed mobsters....he'd have murdered the loving world.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Hollismason posted:

edit: I still can't believe that Marvel has not done a Shang Chi foreign film. Now that would be amazing. With how huge the market is in China it'd be incredibly popular.

Get Steven Chow to write and direct one please and thanks.

Edit: Is the Sam Alexander Nova stuff any good then? I loved a lot of the Cosmic Marvel stuff but haven't read many new comics in 6 or 7 years at this point so I'm kind of out of the loop. I know the Sam character was created by Jeph Loeb though so I kind of avoided any mention of it purely on principle.

tsob fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 14, 2015

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hollismason posted:

It would be really interesting to see a big budget Marvel film written, produced and shot for a Chinese audience, and the West getting the translated version/token white actor.

Also I got such a huge Orson Welles vibe from Fisk. I loved that character.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

tsob posted:

Edit: Is the Sam Alexander Nova stuff any good then? I loved a lot of the Cosmic Marvel stuff but haven't read many new comics in 6 or 7 years at this point so I'm kind of out of the loop. I know the Sam character was created by Jeph Loeb though so I kind of avoided any mention of it purely on principle.

It's kinda divisive (Like you said, Loeb is controversial) but I really enjoy it. Sam is a genuinely empathetic character, the cameos from the other GotG are always fun, and the background of the Nova Corps etc being fleshed out is great. I mean, the idea of "Superpowered Space Police" is always great.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

tsob posted:

Since I just powered through the last few episodes of this show to jump back in the thread I'll take this one. Yes, Sam Alexander is awesome. His series is great. Loeb only wrote the first six issues but they too are great. Marvel has a lot of really good younger heroes right now but I think Nova is the best of the lot. Though the description above is a bit off as his dad isn't dead just missing and he doesn't really have an connection to the Nova Corps because they don't exist anymore.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Hollismason posted:

Matts father - Gives Matt a drink of Whiskey
Wilsons Father - Gives him a drink of beer
Matts Father - Goal is to be a prize winning fighter and that's his ticket out.
Wilsons Father - Goal is to be a politician and that's his ticket out
Matt's Father - " Always get back up"
Wilsons Father - " Don't Stop Kicking them when their down"
Matt's Father - " Focus on my voice"
Wilsons Father - " Stair at this wall and imagine who you want to be"
Matt - Goes to a Orphanage to be raised by others
Wilson - Goes to a Farm to be raised by others
Matt- Mother is Absent
Wilson - Mother is there but absent in spirit?
Matt and Wilson are both telling the women in their lives that they'll take care of them and that they're safe

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

tsob posted:

That's exactly who I would get.

My dream plan would be

Blade - Bring him back to his British Roots and make him actually British ( which the movie ruined), team up with Union Jack

Elsa Bloostone - French Foreign Movie

Shang Chi - Chinese Foreign movie

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

Steve Yun posted:

Matt and Wilson are both telling the women in their lives that they'll take care of them and that they're safe

Ha ha yes, that is hilarious how they do that. At least Karen still buys some mace.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

You're doing the Lord's work, son.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Actually Matt only saves Karen once, I'm pretty sure. Foggy helps out the other time, then she saves herself.

She's not shown as some weakling which I actually liked and liked that it was her that ultimately brought about Fisks end.

Actually I think the show's 3/3 for strong women characters in the film.

I really hope they can swing getting Black Widow to show up as they had a thing for a while.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 14, 2015

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Hollismason posted:

That's exactly who I would get.

It's kind of a pity he isn't working on Iron-Fist honestly, since the contacts he has with a lot of the wuxia actors would make him perfect for casting the various members of the mystical cities. Sure it'd mean a lot of subtitle work or translating, but poo poo, Daredevil already had some of that and I'm honestly not bothered if half the show (or more) is in subtitles if it means a lot of the cast have the kind of skill they could bring to the martial arts. As is I've no idea who played Madame Gao or how skilled she actually is, but I don't know if they'll really be able to find all that many folks who can act and do martial arts for the show.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Wait they still haven't named who is playing Danny Rand have they?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hollismason posted:

THey haven't started shooting Luke Cage yet so they have time.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Hollismason posted:

It's the last series coming out so they haven't started to work on it. I don't think they've even got a showrunner for it yet.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Need to figure out how to get Steven Chow.

Edit: Did anyone notice the cover change on Daredevil on Netflix ? I don't remember him being in the suit and now he's in the suit. Or am I imagining that.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 14, 2015

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I've saw it posted on various places, but I really hope when they cast Danny, they make him Asian-American. I never realised how "and the white guy arrives and he's better than the natives automatically" Danny's origin story was until it was pointed out.

If they make him Asian-American, they can pull the Chosen One schtick a little more credibly.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Personally I hope they get whoever is the best actor regardless of race :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I hope they revamp his origin, it's pretty uh... bad.