Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

So one of those silly Intrade-esque prediction market things has a market on "Will the medical device tax be repealed in 2015" that's shot up a lot in "yes" in the last few days. I thought Boehner's already said he's not planning on touching that at all (smartly so, since Obama is 100% guaranteed to veto it). Has anything happened lately? Googling only reveals a few stories on token Mass. Dems saying they're for repeal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

chitoryu12 posted:

I read someone making a point about all the "Women can't lead our country! What if she gets on her period and nukes Russia?" misogyny by pointing out that during menstruation, women's hormones are at their closest to the typical male levels. As such, using their logic, post-menopausal women like Hilary Clinton are the only people suitable to govern the United States.

:thurman:

What a rich soufflé of misogyny and myopia awaits us. I can hardly contain my glee.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah, Fox News is gonna kick this poo poo into over drive. As I've already stated people are way more open about being misogynistic than openly racist.

Can't wait for the " How is she going to negotiate with Iran, they don't even allow women to talk there " quote.

If I were Hillary my campaign slogan would be Republican Party ; This womans body knows how to shut it down

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Personally, I'm excited for the feminist infighting over whether Hillary is too Second Wave for real modern feminists

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

chitoryu12 posted:

I read someone making a point about all the "Women can't lead our country! What if she gets on her period and nukes Russia?" misogyny by pointing out that during menstruation, women's hormones are at their closest to the typical male levels. As such, using their logic, post-menopausal women like Hilary Clinton are the only people suitable to govern the United States.

(little boy with flag counting down)
(military anouncer voice)
(cut to Peacekeeper lauch)

Hillary Clinton has already given Putin one red button, can America trust her to stop Putin him from pressing another?

Hollismason posted:

Yeah, Fox News is gonna kick this poo poo into over drive. As I've already stated people are way more open about being misogynistic than openly racist.

Can't wait for the " How is she going to negotiate with Iran, they don't even allow women to talk there " quote.

If I were Hillary my campaign slogan would be Republican Party ; This womans body knows how to shut it down

Hollis, you need to stick with the memo: Hillary is untrustworthy, not a woman.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

showbiz_liz posted:

Personally, I'm excited for the feminist infighting over whether Hillary is too Second Wave for real modern feminists

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2015/03/hillary-clinton-womens-rights-feminism/

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

yay/gently caress

Gonna be a long 20ish months

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

So one of those silly Intrade-esque prediction market things has a market on "Will the medical device tax be repealed in 2015" that's shot up a lot in "yes" in the last few days. I thought Boehner's already said he's not planning on touching that at all (smartly so, since Obama is 100% guaranteed to veto it). Has anything happened lately? Googling only reveals a few stories on token Mass. Dems saying they're for repeal.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/02/obamacare-repeal-tax-114817.html

Relatively obscure issue with pressure groups from both sides aiming for it equals a Citibank style rollback. The only thing preventing really is the hole it leaves in the Obamacare surplus.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Well I'm convinced. Rick Perry/Carrot Top 2016.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Zeroisanumber posted:

No one in MN gives gently caress one about the Bears.

There are enough people for at least one bar to market to them http://alarys.com/?page_id=10

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

He made it to three things this time at least. Though I can't rule out the other guy giving him some help.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Jacobin magazine, for all your left wing infighting needs.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Stultus Maximus posted:

On no, if she's lost Jacobin, we're in for a slog.

:negative:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

Splitters! :argh:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Shageletic posted:

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/02/obamacare-repeal-tax-114817.html

Relatively obscure issue with pressure groups from both sides aiming for it equals a Citibank style rollback. The only thing preventing really is the hole it leaves in the Obamacare surplus.

Right, but as the article says the only Dems that have been pro-repeal are from Massachusetts or other select states, and any repeal would need to get past Obama and 60 votes to get past Reid, both of whom IIRC have more-or-less stated they're not going to give an inch on anything that makes it look like they're weakening Obamacare without extracting something big.

Plus I could have sworn I'd read in Jan/Feb McConnell and/or Boehner basically took it off the future agenda. I can't find a reference for that, though.

Anyway I could be very easily be all wrong and we'll get a bipartisan repeal tomorrow.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

God this article is reaching so hard. "She is kinda bad on foreign policy therefore she hates all women of color and LBGT people of color" :downs:

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Venom Snake posted:

God this article is reaching so hard. "She is kinda bad on foreign policy therefore she hates all women of color and LBGT people of color" :downs:

No it's fairly spot on, she's a third way democrat. If you expected a hardcore feminist or LGBT crusader, lol.

It's Jacobin, they exist to point out this poo poo. It's not like it's going to affect her chances or anything.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zeitgueist posted:

No it's fairly spot on, she's a third way democrat. If you expected a hardcore feminist or LGBT crusader, lol.

It's Jacobin, they exist to point out this poo poo. It's not like it's going to affect her chances or anything.

Yes, she is a centrist democrat like Obama. But she is going to be just as good on social issues as he was (if not more now that the population is swinging left on things like gay marriage), but their line of thinking that you can extrapolate foreign policy into feminism is retarded. Also the drone paranoia is so old and overdone it's just idiocy at this point.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
With Usain Bolt.

And whatever's happening here.

https://medium.com/@WhiteHouse/in-photos-the-president-s-trip-to-jamaica-and-panama-857d694df758

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Venom Snake posted:

Yes, she is a centrist democrat like Obama. But she is going to be just as good on social issues as he was (if not more now that the population is swinging left on things like gay marriage), but their line of thinking that you can extrapolate foreign policy into feminism is retarded. Also the drone paranoia is so old and overdone it's just idiocy at this point.

I mean it's not really paranoia when Obama has continued many neocon policies in part or in full which continue to completely destroy the Middle East and generally gently caress up everything they touch. Remember Hillary is a bigger hawk than Obama is. Also you can expect civil rights and racial issue enforcement to disappear like a fart in the wind once Holder and Obama are gone, and those are at least as big if not bigger problems than gay and women's issues

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

icantfindaname posted:

I mean it's not really paranoia when Obama has continued many neocon policies in part or in full which continue to completely destroy the Middle East and generally gently caress up everything they touch. Remember Hillary is a bigger hawk than Obama is. Also you can expect civil rights and racial issue enforcement to disappear like a fart in the wind once Holder and Obama are gone, and those are at least as big if not bigger problems than gay and women's issues

Do you really think Hillary will replace Obama's picks for DOJ chief? Drones are no more special than standard strikes and people who scare monger about them are idiots who don't understand that we would be striking anyway, just with regular means if drones didn't exist. And if you think Obama is a neocon then you must have been born the day Obama came into office since the grand total of countries he's invaded is 0.

Neocon policy isn't precision strikes, it's bulldozing entire countries.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

icantfindaname posted:

And Clinton(s) is (are) godparents of the third way corporate Democratic Party. Racial issues are a lot more intertwined with economic issues than gay rights are and a hallmark of third way Dems is promoting gay rights and white middle+ class women rights to appear socially liberal while steamrolling racial minorities and nonwhite, nonwealthy women.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Stultus Maximus posted:

And Clinton(s) is (are) godparents of the third way corporate Democratic Party. Racial issues are a lot more intertwined with economic issues than gay rights are and a hallmark of third way Dems is promoting gay rights and white middle+ class women rights to appear socially liberal while steamrolling racial minorities and nonwhite, nonwealthy women.

Not just godparents. They coined the term "third way".

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Venom Snake posted:

Do you really think Hillary will replace Obama's picks for DOJ chief? Drones are no more special than standard strikes and people who scare monger about them are idiots who don't understand that we would be striking anyway, just with regular means if drones didn't exist. And if you think Obama is a neocon then you must have been born the day Obama came into office since the grand total of countries he's invaded is 0.

Neocon policy isn't precision strikes, it's bulldozing entire countries.

Apologizing for expanding Bush/Cheney programs, nice.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Like if you can't see that expanding drone strikes is literally the way you expand military intervention with the fig leaf of "no boots on the ground" I don't know what to tell you.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
:qq: People are using remote control planes to kill people instead of regular planes :qq:

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Venom Snake posted:

:qq: People are using remote control planes to kill people instead of regular planes :qq:

Yeah you know, if they were using regular planes I would be totally OK with it.

I never get tired of liberals defending some contracter in Arizona killing weddings full of Afghani's with an xbox controller. :allears:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Venom Snake posted:

Or more accurately "people are using remote control planes instead of remote control cruise missiles".

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Zeitgueist posted:

Is this sarcasm?

What if it was a gamecube controller?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Stereotype posted:

Is this sarcasm?

What if it was a gamecube controller?

Wiimote or :getout:

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Zeitgueist posted:

Like if you can't see that expanding drone strikes is literally the way you expand military intervention with the fig leaf of "no boots on the ground" I don't know what to tell you.

I think you're assuming that mainstream Democrats, and indeed most Americans, are necessarily anti-interventionist. I think I'm a standard mainstream Democrat and I think that intervention is called for in some situations, and if it can be done without endangering American lives all the better.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
In Hawaiian politics news, everyone is still really upset about the Thirty Meter Telescope. There were thousands of people protesting it today

Its infuriatingly dumb and of the dozen or so people I've talked to, not one has a reason that isn't obviously bullshit and addressed in the environmental impact statement, or "Get off our island white man."

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zeitgueist posted:

I never get tired of liberals defending some contracter in Arizona killing weddings full of Afghani's with an xbox controller. :allears:

Nobody in the US will ever give a poo poo about us striking other territories using indirect means. I also think your probably in favor of what we are doing to ISIS, which is mostly what we have been doing for years using drones.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Get the guy who beat Dark Souls with a Rock Band controller on the phone, we need to save the world :911:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Venom Snake posted:

The reason drones get people riled up is because their relatively small size-to-firepower ratio and lack of a pilot to endanger makes them cheap and easy to stealthily insert in an area to make precision bombardments. You can assassinate and strike point targets (as long as conditions are right) without needing to commit an entire $65 million aircraft and its necessary support crew, all without a single life being put at risk except the targets'. Making airstrikes cheaper, easier, and less risky in both lives and materiel means that the door can be opened for using them more often. This is already being seen with how often they're being used in countries like Pakistan to strike terror suspects and how many innocent lives have been turned to ground beef by them in such a short time span, with the ACLU filing a lawsuit after American citizens outside of a conflict zone were killed by them.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

chitoryu12 posted:

The reason drones get people riled up is because they're new technology.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Hasters posted:

I think you're assuming that mainstream Democrats, and indeed most Americans, are necessarily anti-interventionist. I think I'm a standard mainstream Democrat and I think that intervention is called for in some situations, and if it can be done without endangering American lives all the better.

No I'm making fun of mainstream democrats for being OK with stuff under Moderate/Conservative democrats they would whine about under the GOP.

I'm well aware that mainstream dems think the only moral illegal war is their illegal war.

Venom Snake posted:

Nobody in the US will ever give a poo poo about us striking other territories using indirect means. I also think your probably in favor of what we are doing to ISIS, which is mostly what we have been doing for years using drones.

People love war, I've never argued this.

I'm not the one trying to poo poo on a leftist magazine for have leftist views.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

No poo poo they're new technology. Surprisingly, you have to change your ideas about the world and the capabilities of governments as technology changes! And you need to recognize when new technology provides a different kind of threat and opening for abuse than old technology! That's why we're concerned today about the NSA reading our emails and the government demanding secret warrantless access to everyone's smart phones instead of accusing them of wiretapping our telegraph lines.

It's pretty factual that unmanned drones provide a new threat and a new way for the government to abuse and kill people than the days when the only ways were actually sending soldiers/assassins or committing extremely expensive aircraft and their pilots to airstrikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

People dislike drones because they're used as a more palatable way of making war, and shockingly most of the people who don't like drones don't like war.

People who love war but hate drones are probably anti-tech, sure, but that's not really a conversation about leftists is it?

• Locked thread