Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
The season 1 episode that confused me the most was Justice, because they flat out ignore the Prime Directive and beam down to a non-spacefaring culture for vacation. Then later when Wesley's dumb rear end gets arrested, Data says they shouldn't violate the Prime Directive, but they already have.

Then Picard yells at a space station that their laws are dumb and they leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Angry Salami posted:

The other problem with the season 2 blu rays is that, due to an unfortunate manufacturing defect, they contain episodes from season 2.
Yeah, the last episode in particular has some kind of weird encoding error and constantly jumps to random bits of earlier episodes.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

That's more of a complaint about season 1 containing season 1 episodes. Season 2 is uneven, not bad.

I'd gladly watch all of season 1 again than sit through "The Outrageous Okona", "Up the Long Ladder", "The Icarus Factor" or "The Child" again.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

The season 1 episode that confused me the most was Justice, because they flat out ignore the Prime Directive and beam down to a non-spacefaring culture for vacation. Then later when Wesley's dumb rear end gets arrested, Data says they shouldn't violate the Prime Directive, but they already have.

Then Picard yells at a space station that their laws are dumb and they leave.

Or The Neutral Zone, which basically told the audience "Starfleet is stupid and nothing we do makes any goddamn sense".

That reanimated 1980s guy calls the bridge on the intercom, and Picard's like "don't do that anymore, that's official use only." The guy says, "well then why isn't it secured or something so only authorized people use it" and Picard smugs out with "oh well we 24th Century humans are so advanced that everyone has the self control not to go where they aren't supposed to so we don't need any security like you dumb apes did."

Where were you all season, Picard? You've already encountered shape-shifters, mind-control aliens, drunk crew disease, an imposter Data, and had a guest break into the transporter room and escape the ship. Maybe if you had some security, a 15-year-old wouldn't be able to wander into engineering and infect the whole staff with drunk-water, and everyone and their mom wouldn't be able to transport away or steal a shuttle pretty much whenever. The amount of episodes that include "random person steals a shuttle, begins an unauthorized launch, and all they can do on the bridge is watch it happen from the Enterprise's little rear camera" alone is loving ridiculous.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

VitalSigns posted:

The amount of episodes that include "random person steals a shuttle, begins an unauthorized launch, and all they can do on the bridge is watch it happen from the Enterprise's little rear camera" alone is loving ridiculous.

Starfleet regulations & procedures are simultaneously so overbearing and strict that a smart officer has to break them every other week just to keep things running and so lax that anyone can hack into/steal their poo poo given the slightest whim.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

But I did appreciate that DS9 episode that showed us Odo constantly walks around with a list of shameful TNG incidents queued up on his iPad so anytime Worf second-guesses him on security poo poo, Odo just rattles off a few humiliating USS Enterprise security breaches and rubs Worf's nose in it until he pipes down.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Apr 13, 2015

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

But I did appreciate that DS9 episode that showed us Odo constantly walks around with a list of shameful TNG incidents queued up on his iPad so anytime Worf second-guesses him on security poo poo, Odo just rattles off a few humiliating USS Enterprise security breaches and rubs Worf's nose in it until he pipes down.

All of TNG is in fact a documentary series produced by the Federation as a Security Officer situational training guide.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Alchenar posted:

All of TNG is in fact a documentary series produced by the Federation as a Security Officer situational training guide.

Goofus and Gallant: The Next Generation.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I did appreciate the Starfleet do's and don'ts of handling your new godlike omnipotent power PSA.

DO take half a minute to save the life of a little girl, rear end in a top hat.

DON'T steal a decade of someone's life as a going away present. "Here ya go, you're now a 26-year-old manchild. It was always your dream to go to the Academy and graduate on your 30th birthday, right Wes?...Oh, whoops sorry bout it, bye"

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Cojawfee posted:

I think that company still did the even numbered seasons but CBS made them get their act together. it's a shame it's too late to fix season 2.

No, they switched from HTV Illuminate to Modern Video (under guidance from CBS digital) for 4 and 6. CBS was also pretty upset at what they did to season 2

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MikeJF posted:

One of the big reasons season 2 looked off was that they were instructed to directly match the look of the original TNG, just in HD. That meant that it was pretty heavily washed out and pale. Season one took a lot more leeway with contrast and it looks a lot better as a result.

Someone who worked for CBS Digital (who posted in a previous Trek thread here, if I remember right) said that it was more like CBS Digital took Michael Okuda's advice into consideration but didn't always follow it, whereas the other company basically did whatever Okuda wanted.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Hey is it time for a new thread title yet?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
It's probably time for a new thread, this one was made in 2013.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Angry Salami posted:

I'd gladly watch all of season 1 again than sit through "The Outrageous Okona", "Up the Long Ladder", "The Icarus Factor" or "The Child" again.

I know you didn't just suggest The Outrageous Okona isn't one of the best episodes in all of Trek, and I know you weren't just racist against my space people who are hardcore enough to chug Klingon booze.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

It's probably time for a new thread, this one was made in 2013.

Aatrek was outed as a child rapist that long ago?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Angry Salami posted:

Season 1 also doesn't have anything close to The Measure of a Man.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
Season 2 did have Riker doing the Klingon exchange program (one or both....:lol:!!!!!!) and the Nagilium Where Silence Has Lease episode and for those 2 reasons alone it rocks.

kdjohnson
Jan 18, 2003
slug
My favorite moment upon rewatching TNG Season 1 on netflix was the episode with the arms dealer, and the absolutely atrocious background for the planet. In it, you can see helicopters from Vietnam or something painted into the background. Most of the season was just painfully dated compared to the later show, but that made me laugh.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tyson Tomko posted:

Nagilium Where Silence Has Lease episode

spacefacespacefacespaceface

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

I have to admit I have a weird affection for how much some kinds of Trek really hate the Irish. I enjoyed Up the Long Ladder with its hard as nails sexually liberated fire celtic whatever

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

So while I was wandering around the Rockland County / NJ border, I visited some antique / junk shops and came across a treasure trove of stuff, I bet the guy must've died or gotten married as their was a ton of TNG / movie memorabilia. Luckily the proprietor (no I did not bid him any quatloos) didn't give too much of a poo poo and I got a lot of stuff for less than a meal at Denny's.

Among the stuff I picked up:

Still unopened in its blister packaging. Looks like a Cardassian cruiser, DS9 itself, and a Runabout.

Haven't had a chance to clean it up too much but I popped in some batteries and it's fully functional. It's an AM/FM clock radio. When the alarm goes off, the nacelles light up, and you can wake up to regular radio or TNG sound effects. Thinking of opening the base and see if I can reprogram the sound effects to include a few "DAMMIT WESLEY"s or Barclay stuttering. :v:

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Alchenar posted:

A logical conclusion, arrived at by logical means.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Binary Badger posted:

Among the stuff I picked up:

Still unopened in its blister packaging. Looks like a Cardassian cruiser, DS9 itself, and a Runabout.

I have a big bag of Micro Machines. I need to figure out a way to display them. The little stands suck.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

I love how the federation logo is pointing sideways with the two red lines, as though it is going very fast.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Scudworth posted:

I love how the federation logo is pointing sideways with the two red lines, as though it is going very fast.

Utopia Planitia Fleet Yards takes their racing stripes VERY seriously.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Scudworth posted:

The 1701-Denterprise has that same styling on its warp nacelles. Man now i want to see some fed ships with big ol' racing stripes on the saucer...

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Snak posted:

The 1701-Denterprise has that same styling on its warp nacelles. Man now i want to see some fed ships with big ol' racing stripes on the saucer...

I saw this and immediately thought of StarFleet Dental. :v: I got some other Trek stuff in my junk shop haul but a lot of it appears to have been sitting in a basement that was either a dirt floor or semi-exposed to the elements, now I'm thinking the junker sold them to me cheap because a lot of it is in poorer condition than I thought, upon closer examination.. including a Playmates TOS Spock with a hole drilled through its head so it could be used as a Christmas ornament.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 14, 2015

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Snak posted:

Dates back to the movie model:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think my favorite TNG edit is the one where Riker is in the Klingon exchange program and throws a guy into a panel and the ship just loving explodes. Short and sweet.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

greatn posted:

I think my favorite TNG edit is the one where Riker is in the Klingon exchange program and throws a guy into a panel and the ship just loving explodes. Short and sweet.

I'm fairly certain that every single console panel on every ship in the entire galaxy is rigged to explode with a minimum amount of pressure applied to it.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Gonz posted:

I'm fairly certain that every single console panel on every ship in the entire galaxy is rigged to explode with a minimum amount of pressure applied to it.

Puts that episode with the PTSD ridden kid thinking he'd hurt the ship by touching a console in perspective.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I love TNG edits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8aEhtJ-sgg

"Captain, take a look at this."

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

HIJK posted:

Puts that episode with the PTSD ridden kid thinking he'd hurt the ship by touching a console in perspective.

Anything harder than the depression of a gentle fingertip and it's the Fouth of July.

It's not even a bug; it's a feature. The company that builds them probably has a rigorous testing phase and tosses out the ones that are defective.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Pakled posted:

I love TNG edits.

Oh gently caress. That's totally something Riker would do, too. Magnificent.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Pakled posted:

I love TNG edits.

Holy poo poo that's like the best one i've ever seen. Data had the exact same reaction as me like 1 second after I started cracking up.

edit: well autoplay started a full episode of Voyager. Living Witness, could be worse.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Gonz posted:

Anything harder than the depression of a gentle fingertip and it's the Fouth of July.

It's not even a bug; it's a feature. The company that builds them probably has a rigorous testing phase and tosses out the ones that are defective.

"Johnson! JOHNSON! THE SPARKS ARE FACTORY STANDARD, JOHNSON! THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE REGULATION COLORS!"

"I just wanted to be festive sir!"

"We have evolved beyond petty twentieth century holidays you son of a petaQ! Someone get that singing hologram to clean this mess up!"

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I watched Master and Commander having not seen the movie since it first came out more than 10 years ago, and the whole time I kept thinking (besides "This is an amazing film"); This is better than the last 4 Trek movies combined.

It pretty much has everything Trek goons love: Two highly skilled captains engaging in a tense cat and mouse ship battle, adventure, and actual chemistry between the crew.

If you haven't seen it, or like me and haven't seen it in more than 10 years, give it a watch.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

Pakled posted:

I love TNG edits.

This one's probably my favorite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtmbzJNPsaQ

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Yeah that's one of the best I've seen.

"Yes this is all very interesting, number one."

I've basically continued to not watch all of these so that I will always be surprised by ones I haven't seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Gonz posted:

Utopia Planitia Fleet Yards takes their racing stripes VERY seriously.

I'm tempted to get one of those shuttles and paint it British racing green.

• Locked thread