Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

It needs to be either first Lord or first gentleman, I refuse any other options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Tory and Labour election pledges – Ed Miliband launches Labour’s manifesto with a promise to stabilise public finances while David Cameron is wooing voters with tax cut plans"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Times:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

They will in all honestly probably call him former President Clinton or something. He's kind of a weird special case.

I'm sure we'll get some First Gentleman or other quips, but we already know Bill Clinton so it may not stick

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

Is this the first time Ramirez mentioned those two years of job gains?

No, it was the slowest recovery ever, remember?

I gotta wonder if that incredibly transparent longrunning "GOOD THING ACTUALLY BAD THING" attempt fooled anybody who wasn't already fooled.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
All the Australian and English political cartoonists being posted in the thread these days make me think that US cartoonists need to step up their grotesque caricature game. Delonas was good but with him gone everyone else is way too polite.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Who is Hitler-Gromit supposed to be?

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Schizotek posted:

Who is Hitler-Gromit supposed to be?

Ed Balls, shadow chancellor.

bitey
Jul 13, 2003

Tell the truth and run.
Sorry, it's more Hebdo / Trudeau kerfuffle. I'm convinced this is where I should post it; feel free to scroll past if you're (understandably) sick of the whole thing.

So, a few journalists are as pissed off at Garry Trudeau as I am, but most of them are right-wingers happy to attach Trudeau's words to their usual liberal strawman. No comfort there.

One guy at the Weekly Standard is having a dust-up with the guy who runs the Polk awards, so that's kind of entertaining:

https://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/george-polk-journalism-awards-undermine-free-speech_918074.html?page=1

edit: The guy who runs the Polk awards is John Darnton, a former editor of the New York Times.

About the best recent article agreeing with my position is from Al Jazeera (!). It probably could've mentioned Trudeau, but doesn't:

http://america.aljazeera.com/opinions/2015/4/satire-doesnt-need-a-political-litmus-test.html

Okay now:

The Polk awards were established almost immediately after journalist George Polk was murdered while covering the Greek civil war.

He gave his life for journalism. So a “Polk Lifetime Achievement Award” means a lot more than it might.

In addition to any of the actual journalists killed this year, the Polk lifetime achievement award could have gone to a lot of other people – for example, either of the atheist bloggers who were hacked to death in Bangladesh this year (in two separate incidents – go back a few years and you'll find three more).

If a cartoonist is going to get a George Polk lifetime achievement award, the obvious choice right now would be the four murdered cartoonists of Charlie Hebdo.

The Polk committee must know this, and Trudeau does too. His acceptance speech, then, could be read as, “This is why I deserve this award and Charlie Hebdo does not.” And of course, dead people are easy and fun to criticize because they can't respond.

When the New York Times jumps on this bandwagon funny things happen. While the NYT was covering this story they wouldn't print the cartoons. Were they just being cowardly? No; according to Trudeau, they did the right thing by not reprinting “hate speech.”

The definitive book on the Jyllands-Posten Muhammad cartoons controversy, published by Yale University Press, does not contain any actual cartoons. I'd bet Yale would be pretty honest about why they didn't print them – they're afraid of AQ or ISIS assassins coming after them, and rightly so. The New York Times is afraid too, but they won't admit it because journalists are supposed to be brave.

“We're not afraid of journalism; we're just being responsible!” You can fill in the area between these two positions with a chickenshit-colored crayon. One would need many such crayons.

edit: Okay, so the Polks only honor American journalists. Atheist blogger Avijit Roy then.

bitey fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 14, 2015

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

tacodaemon posted:

Ah, yes. It was on their show "Black & White", which they always described as a "podcast", even though it was somehow also a live call-in show and you could watch them on a webcam during it.

(DbD for November 28, 2010)

It's depressing how much worse Muir has gotten. This strip was at least kind of drawn by him, has totally readable dialogue, and has actual jokes. Plus the liberal woman gets to throw a burn back at the guy instead of just being there to be a punching bag.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Oh now I get it.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Taciturn Tactician posted:

It's depressing how much worse Muir has gotten. This strip was at least kind of drawn by him, has totally readable dialogue, and has actual jokes. Plus the liberal woman gets to throw a burn back at the guy instead of just being there to be a punching bag.
I think the only thing Muir drew himself in that are the monitors. The only way Muir has grown as an artist is by discovering new filters in photoshop.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

rydiafan posted:

Did you miss the part where she has a vagina? It's like you're not even paying attention. Sloppiness like that is how we wound up with a black in charge.

Around Barack, we relaxed :ohdear:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Internet Webguy posted:

The proles have seized the means of wage distribution somehow. The Rallvolution is upon us. (also nice touch adding black helicopters flying outside, at least I'm assuming that's what the flying things that don't look vaguely like drones are supposed to be.)

The Rallvolution is here? Where is the nearest Rall statue for me to fellate?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Where is the nearest Rall statue

Art Spiegelman can give you directions.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Has this been mentioned yet in logo-chat?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
:tinfoil:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Hillary did 9/11

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Hillary did 9/11

So THAT is what was in those e-mails? :tinfoil:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Mr. Squishy posted:

Has this been mentioned yet in logo-chat?

loving DAMNIT. I literally was just coming here to make a 9/11 joke!

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Cloud Potato posted:

Ed Balls, shadow chancellor.

I cannot believe Shadow Lord Chancellor is a real position in real life, and not the title of a Forgotten Realms villain. And then the guy's name totally fucks it up.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
i is the 9th letter of the alphabet so if you think about it her name is H911ary

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Darkman Fanpage posted:

It looks like a butt.

Feels like I'm running for nothin' at all

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Taciturn Tactician posted:

The problem that is her "burn" just exists to prove his point.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

bitey posted:

edit: Okay, so the Polks only honor American journalists. Atheist blogger Avijit Roy then.
I don't understand why you think they're obliged to give it to a dead person.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

itskage posted:

Oh now I get it.

Fed Hex :witch:

bitey
Jul 13, 2003

Tell the truth and run.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I don't understand why you think they're obliged to give it to a dead person.

It seems reasonable to me. When an author I like dies I think "Oh good, now I can read the collected works!"

Well... Polk is not obliged to, clearly. But given the spirit of the George Polk award -- named as it was for a murdered journalist -- I'd think the "lifetime" or "career" award would be reserved for those whose lives or careers were over. Maybe it's just not a very good scope for the award, implying as it does that it involves an entire corpus.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Rorus Raz posted:

The problem that is her "burn" just exists to prove his point.

Only if you inherently think women enjoying sex is bad. Otherwise it's "he's so conservative and traditional he only knows one position, haha he is bad at The Sex despite talking about how he married me to have The Sex"

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

bitey posted:

But given the spirit of the George Polk award -- named as it was for a murdered journalist -- I'd think the "lifetime" or "career" award would be reserved for those whose lives or careers were over.
You'd be wrong then

bitey
Jul 13, 2003

Tell the truth and run.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

You'd be wrong then

Evidently so.

poo poo, they're just handing them out.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The correct answer to the Polk award thing is "please stop pretending like editorial cartoons matter"

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

Post 9-11 User posted:

Some police get practically no training at all before they get a badge and a gun, the comic is implying that they're trained to murder black people. Which they do on a regular basis.

It's not, "gently caress yeah, shoot black people," it's an exaggerated view into the training system that produces judicially sanctioned murder of poor people, black people, and poor black people.

Yeah.. thus my second post taking it all back. I realize I was wrong, I thought it was a different author so I thought it was saying something else entirely. This poo poo is why I don't post often.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

No! I cleaned the bathrooms at a five-star resturaunt. I was the chef on the SS Diarhea.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Internet Webguy posted:

What the Christ...

This is really dumb. Jeb Bush was rightly criticized for releasing too much information, some of the emails included the social security numbers, birthdates and names of constituents. Obviously you can't put every single thing out in public view regardless of sensitivity..

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

"Black Quinoa Butter" is a nonsense phrase. Unless the Israeli chick made a compound butter with a grain, which is batshit insane.

Maybe he meant black truffle butter, which is slightly more lucid.

GhostofJohnMuir fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Apr 14, 2015

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
This cartoon is everything at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Frankly the phrase "black quinoa butter" alone is terrifying. You could tell me she made an excellent fillet of war criminal thigh sauteed with a honey maple glaze and I would find that a less horrifying mental image than "black quinoa butter".

• Locked thread