Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Disinterested posted:

I guess when I think about it CLG's season could have been a lot worse.

This is kinda my stance. Yes they could have done better, but they could also have done SIGNFICIANTLY worse. They went to Relegations last year (and beat out Curse Academy). Placing 5th overall in the split and 6th in the Playoffs spot. This year they placed 3rd in the split, and 6th in the Playoffs, but are sill better than 4 other teams (at least based on their record) in the LCS.

I'm not saying that they're magically going to get better without coaching and team changes, but I don't think Scarra is a bad pick.

Somebody mentioned that Scarra didn't try out internationals. Well, there's probably a good reason for that if you look at Liquid's performance, WFX performance, and even Dignitas to a degree. All three teams struggled, partly because of internal communication issues. Liquid managed to make it, WFX couldn't cope and thus tossed Imagine into Sub while bringing their "temp" Gleeb into the main roster (Honestly I think Altec might have been making a point to the coach about how he couldn't operate with a Support who couldn't understand him). Dignitas had other issues contributing to their messy split, but I'd say that Crumbz leaving because he couldn't communicate and control the game as the team Captain points to where Scarra would be proven right.

Now, all of this said, was Scarra right not to try international (Korean) players? Probably not in the long run. If you play it safer and only go for those players who at least have some grasp of English and seem like they'd work out in America, you could come out stronger. But in the short term Scarra probably did things better. Also I probably wouldn't want to run a team that had the Top forced out for two weeks due to fines, And the mid/jungle kicked out for a week due to Visa issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
I like jwaow but I would love lemondogs reunion with tabbz dexter and zoro more. That would be a good move for them tho

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Looks like CLG know how to fix their mid problem: http://matchhistory.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/#match-history/NA/32436558

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I know this is just because he is doing some 'learn new roles/play every champ A-Z stream' but Zion to mid, in terms of how much a role swap makes sense, actually does make sense. Hes all about mechanics & 1v1, and mid is certainly the place to put those kind of people. Maybe he could end up as a better voyboy.

Link to Jungle, Zion Mid, Kori Top!

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

It would certainly make things more interesting, although who the hell would you put in the top lane?

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Calax posted:

It would certainly make things more interesting, although who the hell would you put in the top lane?

Doublelift. Can you imagine the sickness of those teleports? :getin:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Transient People posted:

"Link goes for the gank, Zion ults, Doublelift is TPing, wheres he going? I don't see a ward, oh Link & Zion die, wheres doublelift?" *camera pans to empty lane full of minions that doublelift TPed to so he could farm it*

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I'll update the OP or re-create the thread for the Summer season! TSM's info will just be a link to this

A lot of teams were still an unknown at the time. Predicting who would come out ahead in China was like playing the lottery, since almost every team had a Korean All-Star or two. Europe is always unpredictable, would have been hard to predict UoL legitimately being a top 2 team without being ironic because of their name, they got by a lot on cheese alone.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Flameingblack posted:

I'll update the OP or re-create the thread for the Summer season! TSM's info will just be a link to this

Can we go with this instead

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010

Transient People posted:

Doublelift lands some sick equalizers.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Jerkface posted:

I know this is just because he is doing some 'learn new roles/play every champ A-Z stream' but Zion to mid, in terms of how much a role swap makes sense, actually does make sense. Hes all about mechanics & 1v1, and mid is certainly the place to put those kind of people. Maybe he could end up as a better voyboy.

Link to Jungle, Zion Mid, Kori Top!

Mid is about map movement and control just as much and these are weak points in Zion's game. Zion is bad at grouping and teamfighting and you want to put him on the role where those things are most important in the game?

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."

Flameingblack posted:

A lot of teams were still an unknown at the time. Predicting who would come out ahead in China was like playing the lottery, since almost every team had a Korean All-Star or two. Europe is always unpredictable, would have been hard to predict UoL legitimately being a top 2 team without being ironic because of their name, they got by a lot on cheese alone.

Also relevant for TSM, the 'time to stomp' theme they keep in the pocket.

EDIT: I see I'm not the only one who remembered this one. Excellent!

Transient People fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 13, 2015

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Disinterested posted:

Mid is about map movement and control just as much and these are weak points in Zion's game. Zion is bad at grouping and teamfighting and you want to put him on the role where those things are most important in the game?

He might be worse at those things but his best attributes in top are only split pushing and dueling. The problem with zion top is you need your top to be very good at TP & initiating, and because they generally don't duel, and split pushing is not an every game strategy I think it diminishes Zion's value. It might be that his negatives in midlane are less impactful than his negatives in top lane.

but i mean this is more of a thought exercise I don't think they should actually role swap him.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
ZS wants to win lane and carry. That's Midlane.jpg

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Anymore, That's also starting to be toplane if CLG adapts to the meta (which they apparently can't based on their recent performance).

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Zionspartan wants to win lane and split push/TP in to flank/clean up fights because Zionspartan grouped with with his team is astoundingly ineffective regardless of how well he does in lane.

Too bad CLG didn't see the whole TP/Smite Shyvanna.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

NTT posted:

ZS wants to win lane and carry. That's Midlane.jpg

In pro play you have to have a substantial skillgap to do that, otherwise it's about how you move around the map and do things with your jungler aka things Zion is bad ad.

The only role in the game in pro play where you can be a mechanical god and a moron is ADC.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Disinterested posted:

The only role in the game in pro play where you can be a mechanical god and a moron is ADC.

This is why I main ADC :coal: But im not a mechanical god, just a moron

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Even mid laners gotta play Lulu and Orianna for team comps. There's really no such thing as viciously stomping a lane in pro play unless it's like #1 vs #9-12 team in a region or two evenly matched teams and one takes a brutal level 1 punch to the throat.

Zion plays pro games like solo queue games and so does Doublelift. That's why neither of them have ever won big pro events.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Libertine posted:

Zion plays pro games like solo queue games and so does Doublelift. That's why neither of them have ever won big pro events.

So do players who win LAN events, the difference is they have experienced players who know what to do that boss them around e.g. Wildturtle, Imp.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x9VzuwWdDs

Liquid be trollin yo.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I know that probably wasn't serious, but one thing I always wonder (when I'm wasting my time watching these things) is why every pro player seemingly sleeps on a floor mattress. Have none of these guys heard of like bed frames or box springs? It's not like a huge expense or anything but seemingly no one has one.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Libertine posted:

I know that probably wasn't serious, but one thing I always wonder (when I'm wasting my time watching these things) is why every pro player seemingly sleeps on a floor mattress. Have none of these guys heard of like bed frames or box springs? It's not like a huge expense or anything but seemingly no one has one.

A lot of my asian friends slept on essentially floor mattresses. Maybe there is something of a cultural aspect & especially how many teams are predominantly asian? On the other hand, I also knew plenty of asian people who slept with box springs & poo poo so its probably because they are all lazy nerds who move houses every 4 months so they dont bother to get a box spring. I'd like to imagine that the org would hire movers to move everything for them but maybe these players dont like carrying a bunch of poo poo into their new house each split.

Travel light, you never know when you might be replaced by Keith.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Libertine posted:

Turtle sleeps on a floor mattress in the TSM house because it was their own job to build the beds and he was the only guy lazy enough to not do it so his bed is a mattress next to lust's real bed, and it's surrounded by bed frame parts.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
lets be real tho that liquid house tour vid is pretty funny

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

http://www.liquidlegends.net/forum/lol-general/482940-clg-doublelift-need-for-change

Good insight in to some of the issues that clg have.

quote:

So Scarra doesn't take as much of an active role in your day-to-day practice as some other coaches?
Yeah, I'd say Scarra definitely takes a more passive role. He's very good at understanding where you're coming from and absorbing information, but much less authoritative. He has a lot of authority on the team and when he tells me to do something, I just do it without questioning it too much. But he doesn't utilize that with an iron fist as much as some of the other coaches I see, who are just literally bossing people around. So I feel like there is a middle ground there, and Scarra has a lot of authority and has a lot of respect in the organization, but he is a little bit light fingered. He always wants to make sure first that we're happy with the way things are going, and I think overly so. Sometimes you have to do things you're uncomfortable or unhappy with for the good of everyone.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
ESEX is writing Noir fics about Nick Allen and XJ9 now

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

This was a really good interview and as far as I'm aware the first time a CLG member has gone into detail about what's wrong with the organization and spoken out about it. I found it interesting when he said he'd be done with CLG if there weren't any big changes, I'm pretty sure that's the first time he's ever not been super loyal to them.

Still think they should make roster changes but if instead they decide to get the right staff in place first, before trying to change players, I think it'd be alright. Put in a real coach, etc and decide if these players are worth keeping.

I think a lot of people might see this as more of the same excuses from CLG following losses, and that might be true, but I really do believe some of the players like DL are getting more desperate as time goes on without change.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Wow, xpecial really does not have the slightest ability to deliver a joke.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Wol posted:

Wow, xpecial really does not have the slightest ability to deliver a joke.

not true hes delivered us CRSes past 2 playoff appearances

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Xpecial is like, just a lip curl away from being the XBox 360 kid in that youtube freeze frame.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Doublelift posted:

I think Link is just a product of the environment, where it's really hard to improve. Some of it's on him, but most of it's on the way things are within the team. It's really difficult when you go into the split when you win everything to still think critically about your mistakes all the time. Sometimes you wanna just relish the moment. We're all guilty of that, and we need essentially a loop of people telling us that “No, winning is acceptable, it's not something that you should be proud of.” So it really just comes down to leadership.
This makes me think Doubelift would be MUUUUCH better in a coaching position than in a player's spot. He obviously understands the player mindset, but more than that, he understands that you have to push yourself. You look at TSM's series, and Liquid's webseries, and in both of them the management is always saying "What will get us to worlds?" Reginald doesn't care about NA beyond "It's a pathway to Worlds!", and Liquid's series has mostly been about fixing the team to the point it'll be able to make it to Worlds.

Honestly, that entire interview makes me think that, no matter the issues he has mechanically, or how he tilts or whatever, he knows his poo poo and he knows what will push a team past the regional stage.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

why do they not have beds like normal human beings, i know they're pro gamers but cmon

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Jerkface posted:

not true hes delivered us CRSes past 2 playoff appearances

:boom:

Calax posted:

This makes me think Doubelift would be MUUUUCH better in a coaching position than in a player's spot. He obviously understands the player mindset, but more than that, he understands that you have to push yourself. You look at TSM's series, and Liquid's webseries, and in both of them the management is always saying "What will get us to worlds?" Reginald doesn't care about NA beyond "It's a pathway to Worlds!", and Liquid's series has mostly been about fixing the team to the point it'll be able to make it to Worlds.

Honestly, that entire interview makes me think that, no matter the issues he has mechanically, or how he tilts or whatever, he knows his poo poo and he knows what will push a team past the regional stage.

The problem is he's loving terrible at actually understanding the meta and its changes, if his past impressions on poo poo are any indication. Coaches can't afford that. You gotta have know-how, not just a competitive mindset.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I can't wait for CLG to replace DoubleLift, still suck, and see what the new solutions are for why CLG sucks.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Calax posted:

You're giving Doublelift way too much credit.

Flipswitch posted:

why do they not have beds like normal human beings, i know they're pro gamers but cmon

Some people are lazy like WildTurtle. Others have disturbingly limited funds (I seem to remember it coming out that Velocity's money was so badly spent that they had Maplestreet getting malnourished). Others are lazy but in a practical way, in that their gaming houses are rented and they might not have the lease for a long enough time to justify really moving into the house.

rabidsquid posted:

I can't wait for CLG to replace DoubleLift, still suck, and see what the new solutions are for why CLG sucks.

X member is the weak link. Once we replace X we will win. Sometimes X is Montecristo, caster of China's farm system.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Hypocrisy posted:

Some people are lazy like WildTurtle. Others have disturbingly limited funds (I seem to remember it coming out that Velocity's money was so badly spent that they had Maplestreet getting malnourished). Others are lazy but in a practical way, in that their gaming houses are rented and they might not have the lease for a long enough time to justify really moving into the house.

Did maplestreet seriously get malnourished after his brother ate like only candy and soda for weeks and was bedridden + had brittle cracking skin?

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.

Calax posted:

I'm curious makes you think that about Doublelift? How does he know what will push a team past the regional stage when he's never won anything on lan? CLG seriously hasn't won anything on LAN since season 1. Doublelift is a good analyst on the desk but everything about his results and his team suggest he does not actually bring anything positive to a team environment.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
that interview has come a long way from 'everyone else is trash'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

That interview doesnt tell me that Doublelift would be a coach, it tells me that Doublelift needs to step up into a leadership position on his team or shut the gently caress up. He is notoriously bad at judging meta shifts, and isnt a strategic/shotcalling god player either so not sure what he'd bring to coaching other than apparently realizing you need some motivation & feedback to improve.

It sounds to me like he is dog whistling/regular whistling to Hotshotgg to can Scarra or bring in another coach who actually does poo poo with the power they get.

• Locked thread