Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Darth Windu posted:

it be cool if your hair could find the book and plum its mysteries.

Only if your hair turns into tentacles :cthulhu:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

dj_clawson posted:

I just finished "The Caliphate Strikes Back" and the key is timing. Empires break up over time. You need to slowly take more and more territory from outside the empire as a vassal, then wait for someone else to start a general independence revolt. Don't get in on it if it's not winnable, and by that I mean, odds are heavily stacked in your favor. If you sit out an independence revolt, and it wins, it's not bad because the main empire is now smaller and weaker, and will become more manageable to revolt against. Even having the best succession plan doesn't mean things won't break apart over time, or fall to Decadence revolts, which a dynasty might just hit a succession of. AI dynasties don't last the test of time.
And if you start outside it, like I did as Sunni Somalia, pick the right time to swear fealty, then go power-mad with the conquests against your fellow vassals. DON'T wait to long due to the bloody subjugation thing.

Lower Crown Authority factions are therefore also great to back.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Am I missing something, or is the only Zoroastrian start in 769 a vassal of the Abbasid empire? You'd think going back in time would make things easier for the Zoroastrians, but apparently nope, the super-early start actually somehow puts them in a worse position than they are after another century of subjugation. Which kind of sucks for me because I like playing Zoroastrian games and was hoping to do one from the new earliest start.

Edit: Wait, no, there's a Mazdaki start, also under the Abbasid ruler, further south. And he's not even a duke. Wow.

Edit again: And a Manichean further north and east. Well then. This is all rather peculiar.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Apr 13, 2015

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

How does Forming the Empire of Italia work? I, as the Umayyad's, conquered Sicily and Italy, and then gave them to my vassals because I was over vassal limit. Do I need ylto own both Kingdoms + a third personally to form Italia or is mere overlordship sufficient?

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Roland Jones posted:

Am I missing something, or is the only Zoroastrian start in 769 a vassal of the Abbasid empire? You'd think going back in time would make things easier for the Zoroastrians, but apparently nope, the super-early start actually somehow puts them in a worse position than they are after another century of subjugation. Which kind of sucks for me because I like playing Zoroastrian games and was hoping to do one from the new earliest start.

Edit: Wait, no, there's a Mazdaki start, also under the Abbasid ruler, further south. And he's not even a duke. Wow.

Edit again: And a Manichean further north and east. Well then. This is all rather peculiar.

Well you have to remember that this is only a century after the Muslim conquest of Persia. The locals haven't really had an opportunity to reassert home rule (nor would they for a hundred years yet), and Zoroastrian rulers wouldn't have had a chance to get power under the Caliph.

But from a gameplay perspective I totally get you, though. Paradox is bound by history v:shobon:v

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

MinistryofLard posted:

How does Forming the Empire of Italia work? I, as the Umayyad's, conquered Sicily and Italy, and then gave them to my vassals because I was over vassal limit. Do I need ylto own both Kingdoms + a third personally to form Italia or is mere overlordship sufficient?

As long as they're part of your realm you can form it. It's the same as any title.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

If you search for the title and mouse over "Create" you can probably figure out what's preventing you from forming it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I do not bother to try to eugenize/educate up a super-heir anymore because if you succeed the game kills him before or very shortly after he inherits literally 100% of the time. I'm convinced it's hard coded somewhere to do this.

Ultimogeniture and Elective both have their charms and I switch back and forth on my playthroughs. Ultimo means most successions are chaotic bloodbaths and you're going to be hit with at least one adventurer every generation; Elective ensures peaceful successions but also often results in very interesting (read: bad) characters coming under your control.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
It's honestly not "necessary" anymore. With the WoL changes you can manipulate even some of the worst heirs to be at the very least somewhat mediocre.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Doltos posted:

I assassinated her, killed the queen mother who wasn't related to my heir, imprisoned my half brother and executed him, tried to imprison my half sister but she fled, then just bribed everyone to like me again.

good work, now you are playing the real CK2

e; yeah, WoL kinda makes a lot of the CK2 Eugenics program unnecessary now, so you can just take any old heir and make something solid

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Another thing the game does a lot now--it may be intended as a counterbalance to the ease of picking up good traits via focuses--is if your ruler has a list of 4+ good traits it'll pretty regularly take them away from him via abrupt event. I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing, but I do wish the events were more fleshed out rather than just an abrupt "The hours drag on and I'm not as into my work anymore. (You lose Diligent because gently caress you that's why)".

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Eric the Mauve posted:

Another thing the game does a lot now--it may be intended as a counterbalance to the ease of picking up good traits via focuses--is if your ruler has a list of 4+ good traits it'll pretty regularly take them away from him via abrupt event. I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing, but I do wish the events were more fleshed out rather than just an abrupt "The hours drag on and I'm not as into my work anymore. (You lose Diligent because gently caress you that's why)".

That's nothing new, and it's also not restricted to good traits. If you have more than 4 traits it tends to fire events to remove one of them. If your heirs have mostly positive traits, it may seem as if the game was out to remove your good traits. but it removes bad traits just as well.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Lord knows I've had enough characters with negative traits but positive ones get removed far more often, in my experience. I'll console up and do some more testing though...

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Creating a republic from a tribal empire seems really broken. I got the Res Publica achievement as the Wendish Empire, but now I have many tribal/feudal vassals under my Great Prince. I have no way of converting them, they were apparently left behind when the new Republic was decreed. They all have a -30 to relations that seems permanent. Also, there seems to be a lot less to do as a Republic. I have to fast forward to raise money to build trade routes, but I'm so under developed as a post-tribal society with no meaningful holdings that this takes a long time. Seems like this game is now dead and the path of transitioning beyond a tribe is an unfinished game experience.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

If your costal you can raid for money. It takes maybe 50-100 years but your vassals will upgrade to join the republic but they are a bit poo poo about long term planning so it helps to build the odd market for them here and there.

After that it's a normal republic game.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

The Byzantine Empire, a bastion of progessiveness.

e: oh my god, they're making babies.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 13, 2015

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

I think it tends to do that as your character gets older, rather than being down to "You have too many traits, time to lose some". I think of it as my character slowly settling down in his old age.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD

Roland Jones posted:

You can start as Chach an independent Persian Zoroastrian count. Chach is right above Bajanid. It's actually the campaign I'm playing right now and I just got the One Who Brings Benefit achievement. This start can be pretty hard so expect a few game over screens.

Tanreall fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 13, 2015

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tanreall posted:

You can start as Chach an independent Persian Zoroastrian count. Chach is right above Bajanid. It's actually the campaign I'm playing right now and I just got the One Who Brings Benefit achievement. This start can be pretty hard so expect a few game over screens.

Oh, that's interesting. A Sogdian ruler. And despite being Zoroastrian he's starting in Manichean lands, and just outside of what the game considers Persia. That definitely seems like a challenge. Thanks for the hint, I think I'll try that one sometime.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Randarkman posted:

CK2, ah, finds a way.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Randarkman posted:

Well that's to be expected I doubt there is any not female clause on the married pregnancy event. Would probably happen with two dudes or hell even the placeholder ruin characters used in some mods for colonisation.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Is there anything I can do to influence a neighbouring Muslims decadence? a decadence revolt is basically the only thing that will let me expand as a Zunist ruler at the moment, since the Abbasids poke their nose in any holy war I start against my Muslim neighbours. I tried to pick up intrigue to break all the Caliphs decadent family members out of jail, but it seems you can't do that.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

There is nothing you can do about the Abassid blob. gl;hf.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Ah well, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with stomping them out in my Rome game for now.

Speaking of the Roman Empire. Is there any advantages of moving the capital to Rome when you get the chance? Any special events or similar stuff?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Randarkman posted:

One day I'm gonna get around to making that futanari trait.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

So I chose the scholarship focus from WoL and the events where I buy the Necromincon and search for the Mad Arab fire over and over and over and over again and the event chain is progressing right. Has this happened to anyone else? It's been a while since I played CK2.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD

Broken Cog posted:

Is there anything I can do to influence a neighbouring Muslims decadence? a decadence revolt is basically the only thing that will let me expand as a Zunist ruler at the moment, since the Abbasids poke their nose in any holy war I start against my Muslim neighbours. I tried to pick up intrigue to break all the Caliphs decadent family members out of jail, but it seems you can't do that.

Use your diplomat and gifts to get your reputation near 100 with the Abbasids before you holy war a Muslim nation. Then wait for the inevitable decadence revolt to grab some of their land. This is how I reformed the Persian empire with Chach in the 769 start date.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

Oh, that's interesting. A Sogdian ruler. And despite being Zoroastrian he's starting in Manichean lands, and just outside of what the game considers Persia. That definitely seems like a challenge. Thanks for the hint, I think I'll try that one sometime.

My favorite thing about that start is it's not even the first time steppe nomads rolled into an occupied persia to reestablish a zoroastrian empire. It's Parthians 2: Electric Boogaloo.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

Ah well, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with stomping them out in my Rome game for now.

Speaking of the Roman Empire. Is there any advantages of moving the capital to Rome when you get the chance? Any special events or similar stuff?

The only advantage I found is free piety for restoring the Pope immediately afterward for free piety/relations. Only works with Catholic Rome, though.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Are there any mods that I should download for this and are any of them on the steam workshop page?

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007

Doltos posted:

Are there any mods that I should download for this and are any of them on the steam workshop page?

CK2+ has some really good features, but WAY too much going on. I especially hate the additional provinces.

Hooni's Rebels and Warmongers is pretty cool, but I gave up on it after discovering that no matter what my education trait, if I educated my own heir he would end up with the Diplomacy education.

There are a few smaller mods that are good, like Flogi's Technology and Buildings, Your Personal Castle, and Ancient Religions.

The biggest/best mods are Game of Thrones, After the End, Lux Invicta, and Historical Immersion Project. You can only get them from the Paradox forums though.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Broken Cog posted:

Not really. It's at best a handy way to revoke the title from a vassal.
However the Pope always fills the barony slots with useless temples, so you're better off staying in Constantinople.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Doltos posted:

If you want a randomized or blank(er) slate game, I recommend Shattered World, Life is Tribal, RandomSpawningReligions, and No Kingdoms/Empires (Or its little brother No Empires), all on the Workshop. A few are incompatible with each other, though.

Also I recommend making your own mod in order to play around with defines.lua (among other things). You can get a lot of interesting results out of a modded defines.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
So, can Muslims not get targeted by a decadence revolt if they're at war? The Abbasids in my game have stayed at 100% for at least 5-6 years, just constantly declaring war on their smaller neighbours, so they're in a perpetual state of conflict. If so, that's a really, really poor design decision.

Edit: Oh, he finally got a revolt, and it was... 25k troops when the Caliph had 28k standing. :confused:
Did they neuter Decadence revolts while I wasn't looking? It's been a while since I played in the Middle East.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Apr 14, 2015

well HECK Phil
Feb 25, 2010
Toilet Rascal

Randarkman posted:

...pay the gold and make sure it's yours.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Eric the Mauve posted:

I do not bother to try to eugenize/educate up a super-heir anymore because if you succeed the game kills him before or very shortly after he inherits literally 100% of the time. I'm convinced it's hard coded somewhere to do this.

Ultimogeniture and Elective both have their charms and I switch back and forth on my playthroughs. Ultimo means most successions are chaotic bloodbaths and you're going to be hit with at least one adventurer every generation; Elective ensures peaceful successions but also often results in very interesting (read: bad) characters coming under your control.

Yeah, playing around with Tanistry at the moment and I understand that my vassals' choices are weighted towards cadet branches and older people, but come on. They always choose the oldest, crappiest tanist possible. As an example I have pressed a kinsman claim to the kingdom of Norge (which has all Norway, Iceland and a couple counties in Scotland) and won, so you'd think that to consolidate power and become great, everybody would vote him as tanist; but no, they're all voting for a 61 year old schmuck whose better stat is 12 martial.

Of course it's an advantageous succession law in that there's no game over / title loss unless you run out of dynasty members, but still it makes very difficult to actually play someone decent - let alone good - and almost nullifies the chance to properly groom somebody... you pretty much have to rely on luck. I'm not a fan of that, I want eugenetics in my medieval kingdom damnit :argh:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

TorakFade posted:

Yeah, playing around with Tanistry at the moment and I understand that my vassals' choices are weighted towards cadet branches and older people, but come on. They always choose the oldest, crappiest tanist possible. As an example I have pressed a kinsman claim to the kingdom of Norge (which has all Norway, Iceland and a couple counties in Scotland) and won, so you'd think that to consolidate power and become great, everybody would vote him as tanist; but no, they're all voting for a 61 year old schmuck whose better stat is 12 martial.

Of course it's an advantageous succession law in that there's no game over / title loss unless you run out of dynasty members, but still it makes very difficult to actually play someone decent - let alone good - and almost nullifies the chance to properly groom somebody... you pretty much have to rely on luck. I'm not a fan of that, I want eugenetics in my medieval kingdom damnit :argh:

You must tightly control you dynasty to cheese tanistry. Never land any family member and make sure that there are only two branches to your family. In both branches you must have only one person continuing the line, every other male member doesn't get to marry. Then you can educate the kids of the other branch yourself, ensuring good heirs. If you spread out your dynasty, it's out of your hands.

Also, vassals really, really hate to vote for people of another realm, so unless the Norwegian branch is the only branch left while your family in your realm died out, you will never unite the realms through simple inheritance.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Can anyone explain to me what these events that causes the Abbasid Caliph to lose 50% decadence out of nowhere are? He's gotten them three times in a row now, every time knocking him down from 100% decadence to 50%. I've been keeping a close eye on him, since I want to attack when he gets a revolt.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

TorakFade posted:

They always choose the oldest, crappiest tanist possible.

Tanistry saved my life, but it was not without cost. Every time, they choose some crusty old gently caress who dies before the current ruler and they continue to vote for the shittiest old dudes. Not the good ones, but specifically the awful ones that have 4 or less in more than 2 stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

This has been mentioned before, a long while back, but something it would be really cool to see in a future DLC would be some kind of system for "agents", a la Total War. What I mean by that is that characters like envoys, spies, and generals would be pieces you physically move around on the map, instead of abstracted processes.

You could get a lot of gameplay potential out of diplomacy being conducted via characters, especially if your primary means of conducting diplomacy is telling your diplomat what you'd like out of a deal, and having that character negotiate it. If a deal falls through, was it because your envoy's tongue was insufficiently silver, or did he knowingly scuttle the deal for his own personal benefit? You send a powerful duke to negotiate the betrothal of a neighbor king's daughter to your son, and when he comes back, whoops! Looks like the girl was much more interested in the duke's own son. You could eliminate any chance at fuckery by going out and negotiating yourself, but perhaps sending your own character out from the castle makes assassination much, much easier.

If you want to go full-bore extreme, you could even have armies be entirely controlled by AI generals that you can only give directives to, unless you personally are in control of the army. The flip side to this is that you, as a vassal, would be able to directly control the army your liege puts you in charge of, which would be neat. Gain opinion with him for following directives, or go on a little adventure of your own with the army you've been foolishly entrusted with.

This would open up the possibility of playing unlanded characters, but PDox probably wouldn't go for that since it would be, by necessity, a human-player-only feature; unless certain characters could be born with a "free roam" trait, or possibly given it (a way to integrate knights into the game, perhaps?)

• Locked thread