Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Sharkopath posted:

It means they're skipping over the zap gets high and has adventures in the city story, but the rest of the titles match up to the normal progression.
If I recall correctly, Japanese broadcast standards are much more strict about the depiction of drugs, so that might be the reason it was cut.

I remember them having to cut huge chunks from the Drug & The Dominoes arc of Baccano! since it featured an immortal whose driving motivation was inventing new drugs because he'd grown too used to all the existing ones and nothing got him buzzed anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

I remember them having to cut huge chunks from the Drug & The Dominoes arc of Baccano! since it featured an immortal whose driving motivation was inventing new drugs because he'd grown too used to all the existing ones and nothing got him buzzed anymore.
that sounds badass and im going to skip watching baccano now because they cut that out

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Sharkopath posted:

Check page 1.

Missed a few:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I like how Klaus' partying is relatively subdued in keeping with his more mature personality but the typically aloof Chain is just rocking out like the world's gonna end.

Subtle characterization techniques.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 14, 2015

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

I like how Klaus' partying is relatively subdued in keeping with his more mature personality but the typically aloof Chain is just rocking out like the world's gonna end.

Subtle characterization techniques.

I don't know, Klaus has some good moves at the end there. And I can't tell whether that's Abrahms or the detective doing the classic thrusting.

is the obvious best, though.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Apr 14, 2015

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

AnacondaHL posted:

Missed a few:

Obviously I only picked out the ones on the red background, for a perfect synchronization of color scheme.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

chumbler posted:

I don't know, Klaus has some good moves at the end there.
Oh he gets into it near the end, but on the whole his moves are pretty low key. Body language is often a huge missed opportunity for character development in anime. Even though it's just an ED, you get the sense that perhaps maybe Klaus is calm and composed all the time verses, say, Chain having a professional demeanor on the clock but when five o' clock hits it's time to get crazy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bad Seafood posted:

Oh he gets into it near the end, but on the whole his moves are pretty low key.

Body language is often a huge missed opportunity for character development in anime. Even though it's just an ED, you get the sense that perhaps maybe Klaus is calm and composed all the time verses, say, Chain having a professional demeanor on the clock but when five o' clock hits it's time to get crazy.

You can even get a sense of that in the show when she loses her poo poo over losing the truck.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Kekkai Sensen: imagine an alternate reality, where Kill la Kill wasn't poo poo

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Hocus Pocus posted:

What a weird comparison. The only thing this has in common with KLK is energy.

e: I mean, nothing against you for making it, but you should go watch Kyousogiga or Baccano! or something so you can use those as a point of reference instead. You'll be happier for it!

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Apr 14, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hocus Pocus posted:

That was Yozakura Quartet.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Actually, all of these animes that are being mentioned are all very good. Blood Blockade Battlefront is just super duper good.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Pretty sure there's one thing they'll have to change for the anime. There's no way in hell they'll get away with the Dead Space Plasma Cutters on the car.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

What a weird comparison. The only thing this has in common with KLK is energy.

e: I mean, nothing against you for making it, but you should go watch Kyousogiga or Baccano! or something so you can use those as a point of reference instead. You'll be happier for it!

I own Kyousogiga, I just somehow never seem to get around to actually watching it. I'll have to fix that this weekend!

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Sakurazuka posted:

That was Yozakura Quartet.

Designs by Yasuda Suzuhito, so that can't be true.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I honestly would have had no idea it was by the Devil Survivor guy if I hadn't checked. Plus it has real good animation and no-one gets molested by their mum so it's automatically better.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

BBB going with the fine tradition of starting up the ending theme before the credits roll, and I'm glad of it.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Hocus Pocus posted:

I own Kyousogiga, I just somehow never seem to get around to actually watching it. I'll have to fix that this weekend!

Wait, how do you own Kyousogiga? Is it the Japanese release?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Finally watched this. Y'all were right: it's good.

Nice use of reserved posts, Sharksy.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I've watched the ED a lot.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The second episode was very good, and the next one should be even better and more absurd and also has K.K. This is probably going to be the best show of the season.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chumbler posted:

The second episode was very good, and the next one should be even better and more absurd and also has K.K. This is probably going to be the best show of the season.

It's only two episodes in and I really hope it gets a second cour.

Motto posted:

I've watched the ED a lot.

You say that like we all haven't. :peanut:

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Neeksy posted:

Designs by Yasuda Suzuhito, so that can't be true.

And the anime had everything redesigned by Ryo-Timo.

And it's a really loving good show.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

The Devil Tesla posted:

Wait, how do you own Kyousogiga? Is it the Japanese release?

Yeah, the Japanese release. I've done it with a few shows - bought the Blu-ray or DVD of a series from Japan/importer, then used fansubs through either the player or using one of those subtitle programs that is just a ticker tape you drag under the video.

I used to be an audio imaging guy at a radio network and it left me fussy about sound quality, so the 'bigger' shows I sometimes buy the JP release... Which I then don't actually get around to watching...

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Hocus Pocus posted:

Yeah, the Japanese release. I've done it with a few shows - bought the Blu-ray or DVD of a series from Japan/importer, then used fansubs through either the player or using one of those subtitle programs that is just a ticker tape you drag under the video.

I used to be an audio imaging guy at a radio network and it left me fussy about sound quality, so the 'bigger' shows I sometimes buy the JP release... Which I then don't actually get around to watching...

The kyosogiga bds are loving cool so its ok. The boxes are incredibly fancy.

Uznare fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Apr 17, 2015

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I'm so glad that Kyousogiga wasn't a fluke and this director is consistently awesome.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The visual and sound design of that episode was absolutely goddamn amazing.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

As someone who's an absolute sucker for any kind of ridiculously high stakes gambling showdown, this episode was the definition of the bee's knees (even if much of the actual details of the match were glossed over).

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

As someone who's an absolute sucker for any kind of ridiculously high stakes gambling showdown, this episode was the definition of the bee's knees (even if much of the actual details of the match were glossed over).

Imagine trying to actually design a game like that and explain it in less than an episode. Probably impossible.

It was basically "over the top alien chess" for our purposes, and they presented it in such a way that even though we have no idea what the gently caress is going on (though I did get that pieces were leveling up somehow and other could be introduced conditionally), the episode still sold the feeling of watching such a game, minus the experience of watching it for 99 hours

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 18, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Oh yeah, there was no way they were gonna demystify the game within the constraints of the episode.

It's more that, typically, the tension inherent in this sort of thing lies in understanding the rules and conditions by which the characters play and seeing how they use or abuse them to achieve victory. With the rules obscured, we have no context for the majority of the players' moves; thus tension is defused. Or would be, ordinarily.

However, like with Hunter x Hunter's Gungi, the point isn't the game itself but the character it reveals in those who play it. We may not be mechanically invested in the game, but we certainly are emotionally invested in seeing Klaus pull through despite the odds. Also, even without rules, the conditions of the game help ground it in our minds. Klaus doesn't need to win, he just needs to "Hold out" for longer than most of us could imagine doing anything uninterrupted - right after it's established the world's greatest chess player nearly lost his mind playing for a considerably shorter length of time.

I also liked how they implied without ever outright stating it that time flowed differently for those playing the game.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

That was still a shitload of cigars, though.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sharkopath posted:

BBB 3 has the coolest scene transition I think I've ever seen in an anime, about 9 minutes in.

That was seriously slick.

Looking forward the the next episode a whole bunch :dance:

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
You're all watching this on the Funimation site, right?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No because Funimation doesn't believe my country exists.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hulu Plus for me. For some reason it isn't getting delayed either, so that's nice.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
The backgrounds in this episode were loving stunning. I think the setting itself is my favourite character.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's like someone smashed Ohtori Academy into New York City.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

K.K's official title is RATATAT MOM and that pleases me greatly.

I liked her vas performance and go she switched from her gushing/patronizing klausie tone to the more grounded and serious one she has in her own thoughts.

Favorite small detail this episode: Klaus playing his game in the background of the entire exposition scene.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sharkopath posted:

K.K's official title is RATATAT MOM and that pleases me greatly.

I liked her vas performance and go she switched from her gushing/patronizing klausie tone to the more grounded and serious one she has in her own thoughts.

Favorite small detail this episode: Klaus playing his game in the background of the entire exposition scene.

If you pay very close attention to the scene where K.K. first appears, that junk in the background is a very large pile of corpses.

Also something the episode didn't explain is why Angel Dust getting into the outside world was so shocking. The only bridge out of Jerusalem's Lot has two of the city's denizens sitting on it competing with each-other, recording and examining everything they see cross the bridge. They utterly despise eachother and refuse to lose, so neither can be bribed, coerced or tricked.

Everything Burrito posted:

That was seriously slick.

Looking forward the the next episode a whole bunch :dance:

I was wondering if the next episode was going to get split into a two-parter, but it looks like they're going the whole hog and sticking it in one episode. I can't wait, because it's one of the best stories in the manga :munch:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you pay very close attention to the scene where K.K. first appears, that junk in the background is a very large pile of corpses.

Also something the episode didn't explain is why Angel Dust getting into the outside world was so shocking. The only bridge out of Jerusalem's Lot has two of the city's denizens sitting on it competing with each-other, recording and examining everything they see cross the bridge. They utterly despise eachother and refuse to lose, so neither can be bribed, coerced or tricked.

I was wondering if the next episode was going to get split into a two-parter, but it looks like they're going the whole hog and sticking it in one episode. I can't wait, because it's one of the best stories in the manga :munch:.

My favorite story is the one after the one coming up.

• Locked thread