Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Here is a cockatoo video I have not seen before that you should also see, thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG9itZ2gT7Y

Dreggon posted:

here is a new (girl) bird who i have not named or seen before

Dreggon posted:

i wasn't gonna post this but does this bird look like alan tudyk to you?

Very good, please continue posting about these birbs.

BloodWulfe posted:

CONURES FOR THE CONURE GOD

I just picked her up yesterday. Yellow sided green cheek conure, about six weeks old. No name yet. She's got about two more weeks of being weaned, but she's already on seed in between feedings. I got her from the best private breeder I've ever met. He's breeding birds to help put himself through university to become an avian veterinarian. :3:

I haven't had a bird smaller than three pounds in probably a decade. It's really fun, and apartment friendly!

(as an aside it's very difficult to focus a camera with only one free hand)

I wish my yellow-sided had that much orange! A mango bird :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

H110Hawk posted:

Awesome outdoor aviary. I am jealous that you have the space. We rent, and our back patio would be perfect for it since we can't use it for anything else. Sadly any kind of modifications needed would be way too permanent or expensive to justify in a place we know we're moving out of in a year or two. For us it is less about snakes and more about raptors which thankfully simple plastic/rubber netting solves.

I believe we got pissed because you didn't want to make a snake proof fence. :3:

This is literally as budget as I could make it. It's non structural non treated pine (all of it banana shaped), fence paint, with tile underlay I got for free off my dad. The most expensive bit was the wire. The "door" is a lift out panel with 4 bolts you pull out, 2 in the top, 2 in the bottom.

We rent too, the 2 walls aren't actually attached to the bricks, they are just attached to each other and very tight to the roof. We had to put the pieces in similarly and tap them in with hammer. Now that the 2 walls are nailed together, you can't tilt it because of those green posts and how tight is in on the ceiling. A person could pull the short end so it comes away from that wall, but none of us are going to do that, and no dog/snake/mouse is strong or smart enough to do it. It does mean we can''t take it when we move form here, but this is the best housing my bird have ever had.

E: You got annoyed because I wasn't going to make it to the roof. If I had built the same thing at the old house, I would have had to destroy it and rebuild another one here.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Apr 13, 2015

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

This is literally as budget as I could make it. It's non structural non treated pine (all of it banana shaped), fence paint, with tile underlay I got for free off my dad. The most expensive bit was the wire. The "door" is a lift out panel with 4 bolts you pull out, 2 in the top, 2 in the bottom.

We rent too, the 2 walls aren't actually attached to the bricks, they are just attached to each other and very tight to the roof. We had to put the pieces in similarly and tap them in with hammer. Now that the 2 walls are nailed together, you can't tilt it because of those green posts and how tight is in on the ceiling. A person could pull the short end so it comes away from that wall, but none of us are going to do that, and no dog/snake/mouse is strong or smart enough to do it. It does mean we can''t take it when we move form here, but this is the best housing my bird have ever had.

E: You got annoyed because I wasn't going to make it to the roof. If I had built the same thing at the old house, I would have had to destroy it and rebuild another one here.

Very cool. I could probably get some dunnage wood to build a frame, but ours must be anchored due to santa ana winds in Los Angeles. I also am not ready to part with the BBQ which would basically be required due to how small the little patio is out there. Instead he gets to sit in the window and dream.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

BloodWulfe posted:

I just picked her up yesterday. Yellow sided green cheek conure, about six weeks old. No name yet. She's got about two more weeks of being weaned, but she's already on seed in between feedings. I got her from the best private breeder I've ever met. He's breeding birds to help put himself through university to become an avian veterinarian. :3:

I haven't had a bird smaller than three pounds in probably a decade. It's really fun, and apartment friendly!

(as an aside it's very difficult to focus a camera with only one free hand)

Oh my god that is an adorable tiny bird

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

BloodWulfe posted:

:3: Dat bird.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

gaston doing the hitler salute

someone put a toothbrush stache on him and he'll be a dead ringer

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Dreggon posted:

"hi. nothing's wrong, but, y'know. it could be. just be ready for that when it happens mmkay?"
This is why I don't like African Greys near my eyes.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
A rescue group on my Facebook page posted this and when I initially just scrolled by I thought it was a real cockatoo. Thinking "oh, wow, good pictures!" I scrolled back and found this. $380 but that is so cool looking.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/229199702/needle-felted-moluccan-cockatoo?ref=shop_home_active_1

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Tendai posted:

A rescue group on my Facebook page posted this and when I initially just scrolled by I thought it was a real cockatoo. Thinking "oh, wow, good pictures!" I scrolled back and found this. $380 but that is so cool looking.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/229199702/needle-felted-moluccan-cockatoo?ref=shop_home_active_1

Nailed it, right down to the weird beady cockatoo eyes.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Mizuti posted:

Nailed it, right down to the weird beady cockatoo eyes.

No blood stains or human flesh, 3 stars.

zbeezy
Jan 3, 2007
Fry has decided he is going to fly away from me whenever I want to do something he doesn't want to do. I want to put him in the cage,Mao he flies to the living room. I go to the living room and he flies to the bedroom. I think he needs his wings clipped. I can't get him to the avian vet right now, because it's an hour away.

I clipped my Quakers feathers, but it's been 15 years. Can you guys point me to a tutorial on the best way to do this? Should I do this?

Help me! He's being a little turd.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I wouldn't try unless you have someone else to help you, but you just cut 3 or 4 of the bigger outside feathers, making sure it's even. Don't do it too much, you want him to be able to glide down if he falls.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
This one is my favorite.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Hello bird people, I'm worried about my Alexandrine parrot (Saffy) and hoping that someone here might have some useful advice.

In a nutshell, my 1.5 year old has developed a really strong fear of Saffy's shriek/call. This has only been happening for the last two months, prior to that she was completely unafraid of Saffy and when Saffy was out of her cage and on her stand, kiddo would crawl over to the stand and giggle and wave at the bird. Up until recently, Saffy spent most of the day outside of her cage on a T-stand or hanging out on mr bee's shoulder. Saffy is strongly bonded with mr bee, and she somewhat tolerates me. However, mr bee had to go into hospital for a month and during this time I wasn't able to get Saffy out of the cage as often. Sometimes when I'd try to get her out she'd bite me but that's pretty typical behaviour for her if mr bee is not around. Even after mr bee came home, he wasn't able to spend as much time with Saffy either due to his health issues and involvement in physical therapy etc.

Now whenever Saffy calls out, baby bee is absolutely terrified. Saffy usually isn't overly noisy but her cage is kept in the garage at the back of our townhouse simply because there is no room for it in our unit itself. This has never been a problem because Saffy likes to be left alone at night, and is usually out of her cage for most of the day anyway. But now after this big routine change her behaviour has gotten really erratic. We are trying to get her out of the cage more often now that mr bee is finished his rehab and is home as often as he used to be, but Saffy backs into her cage and won't come out a lot of the time. She's also gotten really nippy with me to the point where I am hesitant to try and handle her. When we do get her out, she is content for a little while but then she starts shrieking non stop, the baby gets super scared and Saffy goes back in the cage. Because she's in the cage a lot more, she's gotten a lot noisier and the more she shrieks the more upset babybee seems to get. However, if she is out of the cage and doesn't shriek the baby is fine, she only gets upset once Saffy makes the loud call. Her whistles and chatter don't bother her.

We've tried holding kiddo and reassuring her whenever Saffy calls out, which works if Saffy only calls out once but if she calls out a few times in a row the baby just loses it. We don't think the baby is upset by the volume of the noise because she doesn't seem to be bothered by other loud noises and it's only recently that the shrieking is bothering her at all. She used to hang out in the garage with me in the jolly jumper while I lifted weights (our gym is in there too) and Saffy would make heaps of noise with no problems.

I'm worried that Saffy's increasing shriekiness and reluctance to come out of the cage is a sign that she's gone a bit bonkers from being stuck in the cage all day plus the sudden change in routine that happened when mr bee was in hospital. Does anyone have any ideas on what we can do? I feel like it's totally unfair to Saffy for her to be caged for extended periods of time but I can't deal with my kid being scared shitless every time the bird shrieks either. Thanks in advance for your help :(

Aug 24, 2011

all small children are scared of loud parrot noises

aerialsilks
Nov 28, 2013

please stop telling me about how you "humanely euthanized" your hamster by drowning it in its ball
Welp. Pie's stopped eating his vegetables entirely, and I have no idea why. Put his veggies in the cage first thing in the morning today, left it for about two hours, and he was shrieking the whole time for food(he quieted down a bit towards the end and I found he nibbled on some of his oats but nothing else). When I went to take him out to bring him into the other room with me he made a beeline for the shelf under the cage and was desperately trying to reach his pellets.

I'm not really sure what to do now, since he won't really even take veggies from my hands anymore and seems to have absolutely no interest in trying new foods.

E: Also, related to prior post about bird preening hair: pretty sure now that he's not preening so much as trying to eat my hair because he keeps grinding his beak to break strands off. :\

aerialsilks fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 14, 2015

aerialsilks
Nov 28, 2013

please stop telling me about how you "humanely euthanized" your hamster by drowning it in its ball

bee posted:

I'm worried that Saffy's increasing shriekiness and reluctance to come out of the cage is a sign that she's gone a bit bonkers from being stuck in the cage all day plus the sudden change in routine that happened when mr bee was in hospital. Does anyone have any ideas on what we can do? I feel like it's totally unfair to Saffy for her to be caged for extended periods of time but I can't deal with my kid being scared shitless every time the bird shrieks either. Thanks in advance for your help :(

Try to get back onto routine as much as possible and just keep reassuring the kid that the shrieking is an okay noise. Honestly when it comes to stuff like this with kids so young it's usually exposure and not getting stressed out on the parents' part that will work them through it a little better. If the kid isn't having issues with any noises besides constant loud calling, it could be that for some reason they're associating that noise with Something Bad That Happened, so you're probably going to have to think back and figure out what, if anything, it is.

On the other hand it is also just as likely that bird noise is EXTREME LOUDNESS and thus hurting tiny baby ears and they have yet to get used to it properly.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Amadeus refuses to eat most fruit and veggies too. I'm sure it is because he never had them before he ended up with me, and even when he is curious about what I'm eating and I share with him he just drops it disdainfully after rolling it through his beak a couple times. I get around this by giving him regular servings of organic, low- and no-added-sugar juices, which he loves. Pineapple juice is awesome. Actual pineapple? The gently caress is this woman, are you trying to kill me?

I also buy a mix of dried, crushed vegetables and mix them in with his pellets. He likes crunchy textured food so he is more willing to eat these and add them to his pellet soup concoctions.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Do any of you guys get the cockatiel sized Zupreem for your conures? I got what I thought was the appropriate size and it just seems like it's a bit large for Sammy.

Here is a photo of Sammy getting scritches

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

If you mean the cockatiel-sized ZuPreem natural (the uniform beige round pellets) that is what I give my conure, yeah.

Shirec posted:

Such a cutie :3:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Shirec posted:

Do any of you guys get the cockatiel sized Zupreem for your conures? I got what I thought was the appropriate size and it just seems like it's a bit large for Sammy.

I actually get one size up from that for mine, the "medium-large" size. Alexis likes food she can hold.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

If you mean the cockatiel-sized ZuPreem natural (the uniform beige round pellets) that is what I give my conure, yeah.

Such a cutie :3:

His is the rainbow fruit ones, but I was considering switching.

He's a huge sweetie as well, but doesn't pose for pictures often :argh:

Kenshin posted:

I actually get one size up from that for mine, the "medium-large" size. Alexis likes food she can hold.

Sammy always drops his food, he's not too good at holding much for very long.

aerialsilks
Nov 28, 2013

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Amadeus refuses to eat most fruit and veggies too. I'm sure it is because he never had them before he ended up with me, and even when he is curious about what I'm eating and I share with him he just drops it disdainfully after rolling it through his beak a couple times. I get around this by giving him regular servings of organic, low- and no-added-sugar juices, which he loves. Pineapple juice is awesome. Actual pineapple? The gently caress is this woman, are you trying to kill me?

I also buy a mix of dried, crushed vegetables and mix them in with his pellets. He likes crunchy textured food so he is more willing to eat these and add them to his pellet soup concoctions.

I used to give him reconstituted freeze-dried fruit/veg mix at my store and he always ate it, and the contents are pretty similar in ingredients and size to the chop he gets now. I'm just confused and alarmed since he was eating like at least a quarter of his food two weeks ago and now... basically nothing.

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

aerialsilks posted:

I used to give him reconstituted freeze-dried fruit/veg mix at my store and he always ate it, and the contents are pretty similar in ingredients and size to the chop he gets now. I'm just confused and alarmed since he was eating like at least a quarter of his food two weeks ago and now... basically nothing.

Birds are weird. Albert suddenly hates most vegetables, but loves gloop just as spontaneously. Still won't touch fruit though, choosy rear end in a top hat :argh:

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

Shirec posted:

His is the rainbow fruit ones, but I was considering switching.

He's a huge sweetie as well, but doesn't pose for pictures often :argh:

Sammy always drops his food, he's not too good at holding much for very long.

It was pretty funny to watch our GCC transition from "FEED ME IM UR BABY" to "holy poo poo these things I use for locomotion can help me fight gravity and its constant theft of my stuff"

The AHAH!? moment involved a tiny piece of pizza crust :3:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Ozy loves eating half of a nut and dropping the other half on the floor, hoping to forage for it later.

Aug 24, 2011

i gave a bird a cracker and it took the cracker and flew away

they also take pegs off the washing line, break them, drop them on the ground, then stand on top of the washing line and poo poo all over the clothes

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Sounds about right. I'd probably do the same if I could fly

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Dreggon posted:

i gave a bird a cracker and it took the cracker and flew away

they also take pegs off the washing line, break them, drop them on the ground, then stand on top of the washing line and poo poo all over the clothes

After the third time of someone at work pointing out that I have poo poo on my back, I now have a separate clothes line where the bird can't climb on.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The probirdsright Twitter account has really been on its game lately and it cheers me.

Aug 24, 2011

it's really weird when they flap up to the windowsill and just

stare

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Dreggon posted:

stare

They know...

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

Dreggon posted:

stare

I let Jade out of her cage Sunday morning and she chose to use her freedom watching me while I slept.

For three hours.

bobthenameless
Jun 20, 2005

I've been reading this thread and watched a few videos - I'm planning on getting a cockatiel or a gcc (I really want to get a caique, actually, but maybe later...) in a few months as a first birb.

Anyone know any good breeders around nashville, and/or how has everyone's bird shipping experiences been? Once it gets closer to me actually getting a bird I'll probably call around rescues/the local avian vet and see what's around then.

I've found a few breeders in NC so it'd be a pretty quick flight if I end up getting the feathered friend shipped; unfortunately, I haven't had a lot of luck looking around locally for a good bird store.

looking forward to being a birb crazy soon, thanks this thread for convincing me

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Tasty_Crayon posted:

I let Jade out of her cage Sunday morning and she chose to use her freedom watching me while I slept.

For three hours.

They don't actually watch you for that long, they just sit there and take a nap with you. It's awesome.

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k

Sekkira posted:

They don't actually watch you for that long, they just sit there and take a nap with you. It's awesome.

Yeah - Max will stare for awhile and then either sleep or flap over and fall asleep on my pillow next to my head. It's super sweet, especially when I'm laid up due to a cold or whatever.

Aug 24, 2011

its this rear end in a top hat again

ever wonder if your bird is evil? this bird is probably your birds dad

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Dreggon how the do you put up with the noise they make? There are cockatoos that roost in a tree 100m from my house and those bastards are LOUD and here you are encouraging them.

It's not as bad as my mum feeding Curlews and having to live with them sitting outside my window at 2am but still. The only thing worse than a flock of cockatoos would be living next to a shopping center flocks of Rainbow lorikeets live at. Atleast cockatoos sleep at night.

E:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZWHUU41gsk

Curlews for reference. Normally before making this noise they make a very long ooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooo noise that carries for hundreds of meters. Imagine that outside you window every night.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Apr 16, 2015

Aug 24, 2011

they're only loud sometimes, it's very rare for them all to start screaming at the same time

the problem i had today was there were like 10 birds, you'd think its a good thing to have that many but it's a massive force multiplier on their confidence

again, you'd think that's a good thing, except instead of backing away from me so i have space to put food down a bunch of them will all sidle up to me and all try to bite the food cup, my hands, my clothes etc.

it's not just one either there's like 3 of them that lined up in front of me while another started trying to climb my trousers to reach the food box i was holding in my other hand, its like Prison Break with cockatoos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Are they destructive towards your house or whatever? Like either just for fun, or because you weren't fast enough with the seeds so they destroy your porch until you come out and appease them?