Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Cat Terrist posted:

The storage coming online is all SSD, FreeNAS and (Holy gently caress I dont believe it either) NO 10G core switching, despite the petabytes we now have. Management had to cut cost somewhere despite the fact the SAN's well past GB/sec read / write without caching. A full SSD SAN is utterly incredible for speed and with the caches on it's ballistic, seems nuts to bottleneck it on the network.

:catstare:

All that money in SSDs, and they can't bother to even do a 10G backbone? They are using Enterprise SAS SSDs right? They didn't skimp on that too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

angryhampster posted:

My grass is delightfully green and tomorrow shall be the first mowing day of the year. I can't wait. I love mowing. The smell is excellent and fresh cut grass turns my dogs' paws green.

This is something I miss where I currently live, no lawn to mow. Moving is great, get on the mower, zone out and relax, and enjoy the smell of fresh cut grass.
Nothing better.

In short:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

5 days left to get your Sheep Game entries in! Participation has been on the low side for this one...the more people we have in the game, the better the results. As it is right now, with 26 players, we don't really have enough for the game to work properly - we need at least 40 for that.

Come play today! It only hurts for a second!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

fjelltorsk posted:

I actually feel decent today, i even did a shorter ride on my bike.

work on the other side was a shitshow. A freaking bus driver was so annoyed that we made him wait to swap a tire with no thread after he popped the bus in to have a code cleared, that he drove the bus of the lifters before they cleared the undercarriage. one of the hydraulic rams for the lifters is bent, and the damages to the bus is pretty solid. three airtanks, dehumidifier, compressor, transmission knocked off alignment with bent mounts and alot of poo poo is knocked loose.

I have now banned all personel not directly employed at the shop, and i have told the operator that they are paying.

How in fucks name is that not at least a full written warning for the driver or instant dismissal? I work for a state government department and if I pulled a stunt like that I wouldn't even be allowed to clean out my locker before being shown the door!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

Re: girls (and people in general, I guess)
I have met girls from every race, height, body shape, nationality, eye color, hair color, whatever that I would gladly date.
Doesn't matter. Not anorexic, not a land whale, have some interesting hobbies (awesome if we have some common ground hobby wise, but don't have to) and a job, be happy with your life and emotionally stable with some semblance of a sense of humor and I'm sold.

I'm strongly of the opinion that there are unhappy people and happy people. Why? I know some pretty unhappy people. Some of them have moved 3-5 times, always blaming their unhappiness on where they are, what they do for work, etc. Somehow they're still unhappy where they live next, too. Why? Because happiness is a state of mind, not a place*. Other people are happy no matter what, or mostly happy.

I don't like boring, emotionally unstable, or unhappy/negative people in my life. At this point I've realized that most people never change, and they certainly can't be made to change, they have to WANT to change, so if someone doesn't fit that bill and isn't family... sorry, bye. I don't need them negative waves in my life, Moriarty.

Self awareness goes a long way too. If you can't make fun of your own faults, you take yourself too seriously.

* I know this sounds pretty hypocritical seeing as I bag on Indiana and Florida a lot, I just happen to know or hear of a lot of wackjobs from those states I guess :v:

lifepro.txt

You seem to have poo poo figured out man. This is all the truth.

Especially the part about people not changing. When someone appears to have changed fundamentally and quickly it's an act. How much they changed is inversely proportional to how long they can keep pretending.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

MrChips posted:

5 days left to get your Sheep Game entries in! Participation has been on the low side for this one...the more people we have in the game, the better the results. As it is right now, with 26 players, we don't really have enough for the game to work properly - we need at least 40 for that.

Come play today! It only hurts for a second!

Damnit goons, you better not ruin another good thing....:argh:

Also, did someone say boob christmas? :sonia:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

ExplodingSims posted:

This is something I miss where I currently live, no lawn to mow. Moving is great, get on the mower, zone out and relax, and enjoy the smell of fresh cut grass.
Nothing better.

In short:

I mow lawns for a living and it never gets old, I just love how it looks when Im done. Plus I get to play with trucks and tractors all day and 5 year old me would be pretty happy with that. Not to mention I get to listen to music all day and dont have to talk to anyone.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
All I do all day is talk to disgruntled people who have already gotten bent over paying for overpriced merchandise for a literal luxury. Enjoy, FP. gently caress people. (In general, AI is awesome, love you guys.)

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

How? It looks loving amazing in pictures IMO.

I've heard people say they don't think it looks good. I like it and it does look better in person.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Looks like it's not so much an inheritance/gift fee as it is some cross state title transfer bullshit and re-titling fee. So it's about $475 I need to pay to get the Golf transffered and plated in my name. Oh what's this, I have a plate from the Civic I can transfer over and save $70!

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
ON MY WAY TO SEE ELECTRIC loving WIZARD LIVE

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Fart Pipe posted:

I mow lawns for a living and it never gets old, I just love how it looks when Im done. Plus I get to play with trucks and tractors all day and 5 year old me would be pretty happy with that. Not to mention I get to listen to music all day and dont have to talk to anyone.

I'm happy with my job teaching, but there's a part of me that wonders what life would be like if I went this route and did something like this instead. Certainly wouldn't have all that student loan debt :v:

E: Just e-filed my taxes. Usually I get dinner and a movie before being hosed this hard.

briefcasefullof fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 14, 2015

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I picked up some lemon scented shaving cream and after shave today, and just took it for a spin. Feels amazing and smells so good.
Guess I found my new summer shaving combo.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

This game really needs a way to use the Snapmatic app to save full resolution screenshots. Like, just a full resolution copy on the harddrive would be amazing.

Also, I forgot all about this facepaint :v:

I fully expect ridiculous car Snapmatic photos from the AI crew :colbert:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I remember when it first came out there was a PYF thread where a poster created composite photos by taking a bunch of snapshots and pasting them together. It looked really good.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

T1g4h posted:

This game really needs a way to use the Snapmatic app to save full resolution screenshots. Like, just a full resolution copy on the harddrive would be amazing.
Steam does that. F12 IIRC.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Tommychu posted:

Steam does that. F12 IIRC.

Yeah but then you have to deal with the HUD, etc. I was thinking more like the cameraphone feature, but with it saving a full resolution shot on your harddrive as well as the 960x536 one for the Social Club website, if that makes sense.

Unless there's an option to toggle the HUD and I just haven't found it, in which case... :v:

e: Oh poo poo, HUD and Radar toggle are options! gently caress yes!

I am clearly a man with refined automotive tastes :getin:

T1g4h fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 14, 2015

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I've never had the HUD come up when screenshotting? It just dumps to disk and pops a window in the background so when I quit the game all the caps I took are sitting there waiting for review.
Unless they've changed that with an update or something?

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Tommychu posted:

I've never had the HUD come up when screenshotting? It just dumps to disk and pops a window in the background so when I quit the game all the caps I took are sitting there waiting for review.
Unless they've changed that with an update or something?

With some games it still includes the HUD, from what i've noticed. No matter, GTA V has HUD and Radar toggles in the options menu so I can screenshot away with ease now.

e: For clarification, I mean in-game HUD, not Steam overlay. Stuff like ammo count, minimap, etc.

T1g4h fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Apr 14, 2015

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Stop tempting me to buy this loving game you assholes; I have neither the time, the hard drive space nor the money to build a new gaming rig for this! :argh:

kastein posted:

Smrt stuff

I can't believe I missed this post, but I've to to say that everything you said is very important indeed. In addition to all that, something I personally value in the women I date is intelligence. Sure, dating a really hot but really dumb girl is a lot of fun short-term, but when you're sitting down for a meal and half the stuff you say goes over her head, that's not going to help your long-term prospects with me. This is where Cards Against Humanity is a seriously good tool for judging people; if I have to spend an inordinate amount of time explaining the joke, I don't know what else to say. On a semi-related note, I want someone who isn't afraid to make their opinions known; now, that's not to say I want to date a total nag, but don't be afraid to call me out if I need it...god only knows I need it a lot :v:.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Apr 14, 2015

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I've had my ups and downs in life but I'm figuring it out. Its mostly been by eliminating hateful/hurtful people in life. I have no tolerance now for the bullshit and its making things much better.

Also, any one on snap chat get on there for some train snaps. First one is mediocre but the second on has some lovely diesel idle.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I've had my ups and downs in life but I'm figuring it out. Its mostly been by eliminating hateful/hurtful people in life. I have no tolerance now for the bullshit and its making things much better.

This, and liars.

The biggest thing pushing me away from Facebook is the people who are the first to volunteer but last to show up. They just want to look good in front of their "friends."

I don't want to drop fb because I have some genuinely interesting people on there, and family in Mexico that I don't get to see IRL very often.

I've definitely "trimmed the fat" as far as friends go in the last few years, but sometimes I feel like I don't have many real friends.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mafoose posted:

This, and liars.

The biggest thing pushing me away from Facebook is the people who are the first to volunteer but last to show up. They just want to look good in front of their "friends."

I don't want to drop fb because I have some genuinely interesting people on there, and family in Mexico that I don't get to see IRL very often.

I've definitely "trimmed the fat" as far as friends go in the last few years, but sometimes I feel like I don't have many real friends.

Same here man, I cut 200+ FB "friends" last year.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

CommieGIR posted:

:catstare:

All that money in SSDs, and they can't bother to even do a 10G backbone? They are using Enterprise SAS SSDs right? They didn't skimp on that too?

Bluntly put, half the "Enterprise" offerings are just "consumer" with a few tweaks and big fuckoff pricetag. Even on our spinning rust, we lose less drives on the homebrew SAN's and get better performance over the NetApp shelves, especially using SSD caching (The NetApp also has that). That said, there are a few shelves with SAS as required. The rest is Samsung 850 Pros which are proving more than up to it. The only real issue we had was testing it, the backplanes were having trouble and dropping disks - we stepped down to a 3Gb controller until we worked out the 6Gb controller's firmware was just not keeping up with the drives. Flashed firmware, whole shebang screams.

The main reason tho we can use more homebrew is FreeNAS is a very capable SAN OS. 1 hour snapmirrors and VM snapshotting is a godsend

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I trimmed the fat as well. I like Facebook for a more of a photo album as I hate dealing with imgurs app. I have quite a few hidden albums for uploads of various stuff.

Plus I like AI people on Facebook. They always post the coolest stuff.

Edit: I also found that the less fake friends I have the more "real" friends in real life. Mostly because I'm a less miserable rear end hat and just happier in general. Its not a popularity contest.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 14, 2015

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Same here man, I cut 200+ FB "friends" last year.

I'm not a big Facebook user. I've never had more than about 130 people. Back when I first got on it, I was getting friends requests from people I knew in high school and college or read through their friends list to see who I knew and send a request. So I would accept, have a short chat (you look great! How many kids? Mundane, repetitive bullshit). Then nothing. So I started culling my list with the mindset that if I haven't talked to you in nearly 20 years, there's probably a reason. Whether it's me or you, doesn't matter. And then you kind of realize that you have absolutely nothing in common with them and there's no point in continuing any sort of relationship with them.

Then there's reasons why I cut ties years ago... Because I was going down a bad path I had escaped once or there were people that I had history with of actions that I was no proud of. And to this day I am embarrassed about and reluctant to even have my name brought up in conversation for fear it would ruin new relationships I've worked drat hard on the last 10-15 years. I've built a new identity and reputation for myself and willed myself to be a better person. I want today's actions to speak for me, not something stupid or some con I pulled years ago to define who I am. I was just a bad human being that was a result of having an extremely low self esteem, confidence issues, paranoid, and a desperate need to fit in and be "the guy".

Looking back, I had no reason for that low self esteem or lack of confidence; I was a smart, good looking guy with a charming personality, but I was always paranoid someone was trying to pull something over on me, or wasn't genuine, or was trying to subvert my actions, wants, or desires. That despite my bullshit, people still wanted to be friends and put up with the baggage that came with me.

I'm down to about 50 now, most of which is family. I'm old school I suppose in that I don't chat with friends over Facebook or text, I call or hop in the car and go see them.

And if you "play" it right, you can find out we who your real friends are.

Tide fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 14, 2015

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Thanks to this conversation I just realized I have over 700 friends that definitely need to be culled

in other news, :rip: my cars hood :smith:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Cat Terrist posted:

I got 200 servers (VM hosts, Storage, routers), one entire country (NZ), a DC (Melbourne) and 6 companies to either build (servers), create (DC), replace (NZ) or merge (companies) into our already loving huge network. 8 weeks.

The storage coming online is all SSD, FreeNAS and (Holy gently caress I dont believe it either) NO 10G core switching, despite the petabytes we now have. Management had to cut cost somewhere despite the fact the SAN's well past GB/sec read / write without caching. A full SSD SAN is utterly incredible for speed and with the caches on it's ballistic, seems nuts to bottleneck it on the network.

Altho most of our OS's that can use iSCSI storage will attempt to compress data copying across the network when it knows there's SSD's involved so we're getting some unexpected ridiculous speed anyway. We hit an interesting issue with VMWare and FreeNAS NFS where BOTH checksum file actions and thence they both tangle each other, oh so we have to go iSCSI, we're soo sad about that. Not.

You run FreeNAS in production?? ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahaaaa

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I found myself driving behind a new styled Honda Fit today. Once I learned what I was looking at all I could think was 'drat, you ugly'. It is one of those cars that will make you that guy- the one that always talks about how the old ones were so much better.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So there's a bunch of holes already drilled in the attic from the first attempt at wiring (all the drywall was patched years ago).

Measure twice, even thrice, before cutting holes in drywall. :doh: I wound up 1 stud over in every single loving room except the living room (and only because I fed the cat5e down with existing coax and swapped the existing jack), and the battery on my drill will drill roughly half a hole before it needs to be charged for 5+ hours. Every room is framed differently, and with about 20 inches of blown in insulation in the attic (on top of what it was built with), finding your way around up there is a bitch. It worked out for the best in the master bedroom though, if I had run the wires through the original holes for the next room, the jack would have been 3 inches from the door frame in the master bedroom. The backside of it. For me, it's easier to just drill a new hole in the attic framing instead of patching the single gang hole I've already cut, I just have to wait for the drill to charge. Again.

Why does every room have a different height ceiling :argh:

edit: cripes, a new battery for this drill is more expensive than the complete drill (including battery and charger).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Apr 14, 2015

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I get a corded drill if it's going to be used infrequently for that reason. Only the one I have now with a lithium battery I've managed to make last.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Siochain posted:

Hooray for wet basements.
So 2 years ago, after our first winter in the new house, we had some water come in under the front step-region. Dug it out, found the hole in the foundation, slapped some quikcrete in, and its been gold. No issues for the rest of that year, or last year.
This year, more fun.
Back of the house, never had issues. Good Friday, it rains about 3 inches, on top of the like 4 feet of snow still in the yard. Ended up with enough water to thoroughly soak the carpets, some standing water in low spots, but nothing bad. Within 24 hours of it starting, it was done.
Until this Friday. It rained another 3 inches. And was warm. Very warm. So my basement has been doing its best recreation of the end of Titanic. Thankfully, our central vac is wet/dry, so between it and a mop, its not too bad.

Until this morning, when my central vac goes up in smoke. Literally. Poof. I'm not sure what fried, and hopefully its easily repairable, but, yeah. So a $200 trip to Canadian Tire for a good-quality WetDry shopvac with garden hose attachment, plus an adaptor bit to suck the water up.
Works well, except the attachment for the garden hose leaks like a mother-fucker. So I'm going to need to fix that, but its a small thing.

And there is more rain in the forecast.

Its one of those weeks already.

Sorry to hear that man. I've been there too. Check out Radonseal, which is sealer that permeates cement and helps with water. Then consider Drylock over the top. You may just need to buckle down though and do an interior french drain and water activated sump pump. Or a french drain outside.

I have all of the above :cripes:.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

CharlesM posted:

I get a corded drill if it's going to be used infrequently for that reason. Only the one I have now with a lithium battery I've managed to make last.

Unfortunately, this is up in the attic - sparks would be a very bad thing, and there's only 1 outlet up there (at the other end of the attic).

I do have an ancient corded one, but last time I used it, the cord sparked and it popped the breaker.

I'm gonna let it charge overnight and see what happens. I might actually get TWO holes drilled! :woop:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

You need a cheap corded drill STR.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

yeah, see above. no nearby outlet. The only extension cord I own that's not for a lamp is a 100 ft monster that weighs as much as my dog (it's 10 or 12 gauge).

I'll pick up a corded one next paycheck anyway though, I really do need a decent one.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I wonder if a small nitro engine would have enough torque to power a drill/screwdriver if you geared it way the gently caress down......

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

CharlesM posted:

One of each. Looking to upgrade from my old Makita 12v... The big Makita corded 5/8 hammer drill is amazing, though. Perfect for milling my own grains for home brewing.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Das Volk posted:

Hey, not everyone can afford "good".

Cat Terrist posted:

Bluntly put, half the "Enterprise" offerings are just "consumer" with a few tweaks and big fuckoff pricetag. Even on our spinning rust, we lose less drives on the homebrew SAN's and get better performance over the NetApp shelves, especially using SSD caching (The NetApp also has that). That said, there are a few shelves with SAS as required. The rest is Samsung 850 Pros which are proving more than up to it. The only real issue we had was testing it, the backplanes were having trouble and dropping disks - we stepped down to a 3Gb controller until we worked out the 6Gb controller's firmware was just not keeping up with the drives. Flashed firmware, whole shebang screams.

The main reason tho we can use more homebrew is FreeNAS is a very capable SAN OS. 1 hour snapmirrors and VM snapshotting is a godsend

EMC disks are just Western Digitals with custom firmware and a big gently caress-off warranty. That warranty is the real value add.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Das Volk posted:

Yes and have zero issues on 9.3. It would be nice to have an actual IT budget but we dont. I'm the sole Windows server admin over 27 countries and 130 sites - and even then half my day is anything BUT Microsoft. The only reason why we're replacing anything is due to everything over 5+ years old and starting to break, that's forced management to actually spend more than a wet fart. In fact today I'm literally replacing a 25 year old PC as I just figured out how to get the software to run on a newer system. These days I'm a reverse engineer because they are too cheap to get things fixed on a factory level.

Yeah, you might laugh at our roll your own but (and this is getting getting me riled because it's the same fuckign story ove and over again, do a hell of a lot with absolute fuckall, pull it off and then get expected to do it with even less, gently caress you management) some of us jsut dont have anything like the luxury of being able to spend even half of what is required to roll out a proper enterprise system. We get 1/10th of a real IT budget, we find what we can and then make it work. And believe me, it works.

An example of how we're battling money? How many support desk people there are for 6000 users in Aust? I see 95 new tickets today in the system, I see 92 support calls on the PABX stats. How many we're allowed to manage that? TAnd tht's just an obvious example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Cat Terrist posted:

Yes and have zero issues on 9.3. It would be nice to have an actual IT budget but we dont. I'm the sole Windows server admin over 27 countries and 130 sites - and even then half my day is anything BUT Microsoft. The only reason why we're replacing anything is due to everything over 5+ years old and starting to break, that's forced management to actually spend more than a wet fart. In fact today I'm literally replacing a 25 year old PC as I just figured out how to get the software to run on a newer system. These days I'm a reverse engineer because they are too cheap to get things fixed on a factory level.

Yeah, you might laugh at our roll your own but (and this is getting getting me riled because it's the same fuckign story ove and over again, do a hell of a lot with absolute fuckall, pull it off and then get expected to do it with even less, gently caress you management) some of us jsut dont have anything like the luxury of being able to spend even half of what is required to roll out a proper enterprise system. We get 1/10th of a real IT budget, we find what we can and then make it work. And believe me, it works.

An example of how we're battling money? How many support desk people there are for 6000 users in Aust? I see 95 new tickets today in the system, I see 92 support calls on the PABX stats. How many we're allowed to manage that? TAnd tht's just an obvious example.

I'm curious: why the gently caress do you put up with it? Your company sounds like it's just piling technical debt on top of more technical debt.

• Locked thread