Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Nexus 4's 5.1 OTA is dropping today, Build LMY47O. I don't care enough to flash it. I'm just going to wait.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/04/13/ota-link-174mb-android-5-1-update-build-lmy47o-for-nexus-4-is-rolling-out-now/

There's some news/rumors on "Project Fi", Google's MVNO with Sprint and T-Mobile. Apparently, the Nexus 6 can be bought on a payment plan and you pay for MMS too. Data is paid for by the GB.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...ation-and-more/

Some Nexus 5 owners are being hit with camera crashes since updating to 5.1. Well, considering Nexus 4 users have had camera crashes since Kit Kat...welcome to our pain, I guess? :v:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/04/13/some-nexus-5-owners-afflicted-by-camera-crashes-following-android-5-1-update/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
My One M8 said I had a system update last friday and I left it until could get home but then it disappeared. Now it won't come back. How do I get ti back because check for updates does nothing. I've heard clearing that one google system thing will mess up background stuff on the phone.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

ThermoPhysical posted:

Nexus 4's 5.1 OTA is dropping today, Build LMY47O. I don't care enough to flash it. I'm just going to wait.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/04/13/ota-link-174mb-android-5-1-update-build-lmy47o-for-nexus-4-is-rolling-out-now/

:toot:

Now just to wait for the image to show up on the developer site...

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Maybe someone else with an Edge can answer this. I have the people edge on and edge lighting on etc. I have contacts added to them as well. When I get a call from these contacts and my phone is face down the edge lights up as expected. It doesn't light up with any of them text me and it doesn't do the missed notification stuff as seen in this image - http://www.samsung.com/common/images/galaxys6/pdp/e_2_edge_pc.jpg - All of the options are enabled for it, it just doesn't seem to work fully. I've tried using stock messaging app and hangouts as I think the notification type might be different (it's a different icon) but it doesn't seem to matter.

Anyone have any idea why it might not be working? Also, the fingerprint reader, is there a way to make it ask for the finger print every time I turn the the device on? Currently I have the lock screen set to fingerprint, but it only requires the actual finger print every 5 minutes. So if I pick up the phone, do something then put it back down and then back up again in a minute it will unlock with no security.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

thebushcommander posted:

Maybe someone else with an Edge can answer this. I have the people edge on and edge lighting on etc. I have contacts added to them as well. When I get a call from these contacts and my phone is face down the edge lights up as expected. It doesn't light up with any of them text me and it doesn't do the missed notification stuff as seen in this image - http://www.samsung.com/common/images/galaxys6/pdp/e_2_edge_pc.jpg - All of the options are enabled for it, it just doesn't seem to work fully. I've tried using stock messaging app and hangouts as I think the notification type might be different (it's a different icon) but it doesn't seem to matter.

Anyone have any idea why it might not be working? Also, the fingerprint reader, is there a way to make it ask for the finger print every time I turn the the device on? Currently I have the lock screen set to fingerprint, but it only requires the actual finger print every 5 minutes. So if I pick up the phone, do something then put it back down and then back up again in a minute it will unlock with no security.

Should be an option under security settings to lock the phone automatically after a certain time. If you lock the phone by hitting the power button it's automatically locked.

Okay so my question is, how do I check which app is pulling in GPS? I keep getting a notification on my S6 about "location set by GPS" I've never had this happen on my N5 and I don't have any different apps from my norm. So I assume some Touchwiz thing is the culprit. How do I figure it out?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Probably not and also it's rare that a Micro SD card has properties suited to such things because they're only really wear-tested and random-I/O-tested for bulk-media and slightly more intensive purposes (like Nintendos).

Move to SD existed so old Android phones could cheap out on flash memory, and that's not so necessary anymore.

Except we're constantly at the edge of space alotted for apps, with only one or two large games installed. (the main offender here is Covet Fashion, which doesn't seem to store anything on the SD card) And this is an S5, not exactly an old phone. :(

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp
I'm loving pissed that there are really few high quality Android phones out there anymore. Even the high quality phones are glass. And I hate glass.

HTC continued fuckups in the Metal department has pissed me of to no end. There's onlly one metal phones out there with decent camera: the Huawei Ascend Mate 7. But you can't buy it from any carrier.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Skeezy posted:

Should be an option under security settings to lock the phone automatically after a certain time. If you lock the phone by hitting the power button it's automatically locked.

Okay so my question is, how do I check which app is pulling in GPS? I keep getting a notification on my S6 about "location set by GPS" I've never had this happen on my N5 and I don't have any different apps from my norm. So I assume some Touchwiz thing is the culprit. How do I figure it out?

I always turn the screen off with the power button, but that doesn't lock the phone like I am talking about. It still doesn't ask for the fingerprint for 5 minutes.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

thebushcommander posted:

I always turn the screen off with the power button, but that doesn't lock the phone like I am talking about. It still doesn't ask for the fingerprint for 5 minutes.

Under Secure lock settings, the first option is "lock automatically" and you can set it to a range of options.

Skeezy posted:

Under Privacy and safety > Locations, is Locating method set to use GPS as well?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

ThermoPhysical posted:

There's some news/rumors on "Project Fi", Google's MVNO with Sprint and T-Mobile. Apparently, the Nexus 6 can be bought on a payment plan and you pay for MMS too. Data is paid for by the GB.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...ation-and-more/

Some Nexus 5 owners are being hit with camera crashes since updating to 5.1. Well, considering Nexus 4 users have had camera crashes since Kit Kat...welcome to our pain, I guess? :v:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/04/13/some-nexus-5-owners-afflicted-by-camera-crashes-following-android-5-1-update/

My N5 camera crashes on the latest build all the time. I've tried to replicate it manually but can't figure out what is causing it.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Ragingsheep posted:

Under Privacy and safety > Locations, is Locating method set to use GPS as well?

It's set to GPS, WiFi, and Mobile by default.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

PerpetualSelf posted:

I'm loving pissed that there are really few high quality Android phones out there anymore. Even the high quality phones are glass. And I hate glass.

HTC continued fuckups in the Metal department has pissed me of to no end. There's onlly one metal phones out there with decent camera: the Huawei Ascend Mate 7. But you can't buy it from any carrier.

Well, what do you want, and why do you hate glass?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Skeezy posted:

It's set to GPS, WiFi, and Mobile by default.

Mine was set to Wi-Fi and mobile only. When I turned on GPS as well, I kept on getting the location set by GPS toast.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I've never understood why people get so hung up on wanting a metal phone. Nice plastics are generally going to be more durable and shock-resistant, and feel fine too (see Nexus 5/some of the Moto X options) while being cheaper to make as well.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

They feel nice and give the impression of being more durable, I assume. I'm not sure that the cost difference matters to the consumer, the way phones are priced means that the discount on plastic phones probably doesn't get passed on.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Metal bodies and wireless charging doesn't mix very well, so I am perfectly content with a plastic (or whatever other exotic material Motorola decided is cool) for my phone.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Golbez posted:

Except we're constantly at the edge of space alotted for apps, with only one or two large games installed. (the main offender here is Covet Fashion, which doesn't seem to store anything on the SD card) And this is an S5, not exactly an old phone. :(

Yeah, if you bought a 16 GB Galaxy S5, it only had 8-10 GB free out of the box. Next time you buy a phone, get one with more internal storage. Large games can be 1-2 GB, so of course you're going to be running out of space quickly.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

RVProfootballer posted:

Yeah, if you bought a 16 GB Galaxy S5, it only had 8-10 GB free out of the box. Next time you buy a phone, get one with more internal storage. Large games can be 1-2 GB, so of course you're going to be running out of space quickly.

Even the iPhone with just the apps Apple gives you can end up with not enough room for firmware upgrades on the 16GB model. If it ain't 32GB +, it ain't poo poo.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Grumpwagon posted:

LG does that when they RMA their phones. It'll probably be fixed. Don't buy a One Plus.

What's the drawback of the One Plus, for curiosity's sake? The tech review sites seemed to love it, but they also love smartphone watches and to line up outside of stores.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Stan Taylor posted:

What's the drawback of the One Plus, for curiosity's sake? The tech review sites seemed to love it, but they also love smartphone watches and to line up outside of stores.

Terrible customer service that they're supposedly working out. I'm really liking mine, battery life is awesome and it caters to my phone ADD by allowing me to flash a million different ROMs.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
OK now that I've established that Facebook is killing my battery, exactly what does the battery activity app tell me, especially when Facebook didn't even register? Why don't wake locks incur a battery usage on that app meter?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

PerpetualSelf posted:

No real nerd this day in age buys from a carrier. Prepaid carrier and buying unlocked phones is the new way to roll.

Cultural Imperial posted:

OK now that I've established that Facebook is killing my battery, exactly what does the battery activity app tell me, especially when Facebook didn't even register? Why don't wake locks incur a battery usage on that app meter?

It tells you you're imagining things and suffering from a confirmation bias, apparently Facebook isn't killing your battery and you just want to think it does it.

SB35 fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 14, 2015

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

SB35 posted:

It tells you you're imagining things and suffering from a confirmation bias, apparently Facebook isn't killing your battery and you just want to think it does it.

:goonsay:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

Shows what they know. The cause of this is Face Recognition--well not exactly. The actual cause is the same problem with the camera daemon that the device had when it launched. That was corrected in December with a bugfix release and the problem had disappeared until Lollipop. With that users started to use the Smart Unlock features and one of those was Face Recognition which made the camera daemon to exhibit the problem again.

I'm pretty sure you can force the error by repeatedly changing the camera between the front and rear cameras which is what the Face Recognition (and originally Snapchat when the problem was on KitKat) does.

Cultural Imperial posted:

For the same reason they can't get problem apps fixed.

When an app requests the stuff that causes these wakelocks they do so by calling APIs within Android itself. This can be stuff like location data, sensor data, or anything else. When they do that, the battery screen used to tell you that it was the Android System causing the battery drain because essentially that's what was doing it. The problem with that is obvious: it doesn't tell you why that service was running out of control (Facebook requesting fine location every 20 seconds), and it doesn't even tell you what was running out of control (location services), it just told you "LOL you bought an Android". So now in Lollipop they don't tell you anything at all about these processes. See? All fixed!

So let's say you get root and some amazing battery app that can actually view the calls that force these wakelocks. You'll quickly discover that, welp, it's still not possible to trace back what app is causing the wakelock. You get a level of detail about what specifically the wakelock is so you can kind of narrow it down, but you can't actually find the offending app.

So that's why Android battery stats are what they are. Once you know where the problem is the solution is simple: uninstall the app giving you problems.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Apr 14, 2015

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Stan Taylor posted:

Quality control issues (RMAs being sold as new, devices with obvious flaws being shipped), buggy software, horrible customer support. Some people here like them, and maybe some of these issues from around launch have been worked out, but I'd rather not support a company that thought those kind of practices were ok, even if they're fixed now.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Cool. Thanks for the great explanation lastinline.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Are the OTA updates incremental? I have one final KitKat update pending before the Lollipop OTA that was just released. Will it show up eventually or do I need to update KK first?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Even the iPhone with just the apps Apple gives you can end up with not enough room for firmware upgrades on the 16GB model.
This is completely untrue. A 16 GB iPhone has around 12 GB of free space out of the box. The iOS 8.0 update was the biggest they've ever released at something like 2 GB, which, even with space needed to unpack, is not going to fill an additional 10 GB of space. Even the 8 GB models have enough out of the box, though once you start installing anything, yeah, it gets tight. And there's always the option of connecting to iTunes and doing it that way, which Android doesn't give except on Nexus phones and maybe Samsungs if Keis is still a thing.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
So this is my Storage screen:

What the hell is Miscellaneous Files and what can I do to get rid of some of them?

This is what shows up when I click on that:

And I have 24 GB give or take free on my SD card. What can I do to get more poo poo on the SD card so it doesn't clog up the internal storage? I know Amazon Music is stupid and doesn't allow you to set it to automatically use SD storage so I've been moving that over manually. I'm trying to figure out what else I can do.

Martello fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 14, 2015

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

This is completely untrue. A 16 GB iPhone has around 12 GB of free space out of the box. The iOS 8.0 update was the biggest they've ever released at something like 2 GB, which, even with space needed to unpack, is not going to fill an additional 10 GB of space. Even the 8 GB models have enough out of the box, though once you start installing anything, yeah, it gets tight. And there's always the option of connecting to iTunes and doing it that way, which Android doesn't give except on Nexus phones and maybe Samsungs if Keis is still a thing.

I didn't want to mention iPhone, but yeah running out of space on small models isn't a uniquely Android thing. The bloat that Samsung has is intense, but any 8 or 16 GB phone would start to be really tight after "a few big games" like the original poster said. Updates aren't really the issue, though, like you said.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Are the OTA updates incremental? I have one final KitKat update pending before the Lollipop OTA that was just released. Will it show up eventually or do I need to update KK first?

No one answered this. Yes, they are incremental. It's always one specific version to another specific version though sometimes they do multiple incremental updates so people on older versions will go straight to the new version.

If you do a search for your model's OTAs on xda they'll show every one that Google has made available.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Cojawfee posted:

My One M8 said I had a system update last friday and I left it until could get home but then it disappeared. Now it won't come back. How do I get ti back because check for updates does nothing. I've heard clearing that one google system thing will mess up background stuff on the phone.

Try checking again after a restart. It might take a week or two to show up again, too.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

IuniusBrutus posted:

I've never understood why people get so hung up on wanting a metal phone. Nice plastics are generally going to be more durable and shock-resistant, and feel fine too (see Nexus 5/some of the Moto X options) while being cheaper to make as well.

Why wouldn't you want something like this? :downs:

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Ragingsheep posted:

Under Secure lock settings, the first option is "lock automatically" and you can set it to a range of options.

That did it, didn't even see that before. Quite honestly the settings menu structure on this phone is kind of lovely. The same thing shows up on multiple headings.

As for the Edge screen part of my original post, I figured it out. Apparently it was because I was using hangouts. People edge notifications only work on missed calls, emails, texts from the stock apps which is rather disappointing since the stock messaging app is terrible and I'd much rather use Hangouts. Going to try with Handcent and some other better looking options as they should have the same notification as the stock app. That said, edge lighting only works if you have pop-up notification crap turned off where the screen turns on when you get a text. Which isn't a big deal. I am just glad I am not having any other issues like I am reading about with screen rotation and such. Overall this is the most solid android phone I've ever owned.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
Well I got a Moto X 2014 to replace a Moto X 2013 after trying to work with it just to get it setup I'm convinced it's too big to actually use. I think I'm either getting a different Moto X 2013 or Z3c being able to use a phone one handed is just too useful for me. I also really don't care for lollipop and want to stay with 4. I had always thought I'd have to jump to iPhones but now even that's not an option.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
CEO wants an android phone. I don't know what to recommend. It would be on either AT&T or Verizon. My last two phones have been the 2013 Moto X, which I loved, and the 2014 Moto X, which has been a buggy piece of poo poo on Lollipop. The voice activation activates randomly 1-2x/day and it reboots in my pocket at least once a week.

He's barely ever around and it needs to be trouble free. Do I get him a Droid Maxx or is there something newer and better?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Droid Turbo?!

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
That looks pretty good. I forgot that got updated as well. Thanks!

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Why would you get anything buy the Nexus 6? Official support from google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

RZA Encryption posted:

Why would you get anything buy the Nexus 6? Official support from google.

If you are serious there are a LOT of people that don't like the Nexus 6.