Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
If anyone was at VMworld in 2009 when the labs completely cratered, it was partly because we were dumb enough to use FreeNAS to present object storage rather than block. Over Cisco UCS on FCoE. Whiiiich means one IOP was looping back and forth through the same wire 4 times. The whole reasoning behind this was that block would introduce the problem of VMFS only being able to have 8 open file handles per file, however the provisioning software was set up so it didn't need to do that to begin with. So I just cut FreeNAS out of the loop by directly mounting the FCoE LUNs and bam, lab goes from non-starter to usable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Cat Terrist posted:

I got 200 servers (VM hosts, Storage, routers), one entire country (NZ), a DC (Melbourne) and 6 companies to either build (servers), create (DC), replace (NZ) or merge (companies) into our already loving huge network. 8 weeks.

The storage coming online is all SSD, FreeNAS and (Holy gently caress I dont believe it either) NO 10G core switching, despite the petabytes we now have. Management had to cut cost somewhere despite the fact the SAN's well past GB/sec read / write without caching. A full SSD SAN is utterly incredible for speed and with the caches on it's ballistic, seems nuts to bottleneck it on the network.

Altho most of our OS's that can use iSCSI storage will attempt to compress data copying across the network when it knows there's SSD's involved so we're getting some unexpected ridiculous speed anyway. We hit an interesting issue with VMWare and FreeNAS NFS where BOTH checksum file actions and thence they both tangle each other, oh so we have to go iSCSI, we're soo sad about that. Not.

I'm just sitting here going :psyboom:
I mean, I just left a slightly higher level of hell then that. Sure our several PB's of storage was OmniOS/ZFS based and consisted of Intel SSD's/WD RE4's (Samsung + Supermicro + LSI = bad times), but holy poo poo. I literally don't know how you manage to keep that place together.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

MrChips posted:

In addition to all that, something I personally value in the women I date is intelligence.

I'm starting to question my agreement with this. My college girlfriend went on to get a masters, I spent a weekend with her 20 years later and she was just like she was in college. Argued for no reason, trying to prove how smart she was. My ex wife has a masters, she outsmarted herself into thinking life would be better without me (and was wrong by miles). My last girlfriend was a lawyer, again outsmarted herself into questioning whether or not I was the best she could do (maybe not, she's married now).

I'm thinking someone stupid enough to think I'm pretty cool and worth staying with might be alright for a god drat change.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

some texas redneck posted:

yeah, see above. no nearby outlet. The only extension cord I own that's not for a lamp is a 100 ft monster that weighs as much as my dog (it's 10 or 12 gauge).

I'll pick up a corded one next paycheck anyway though, I really do need a decent one.

Oh hey I swear those replies weren't there when I posted. Whoops.

Powershift posted:

I wonder if a small nitro engine would have enough torque to power a drill/screwdriver if you geared it way the gently caress down......

Ignoring the requirement for no sparks, 4hp at 33200rpm equals 700hp at 200rpm right? :v:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I just got out from seeing Electric Wizard.

Oh. My. loving. God.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Cakefool posted:

Oh hey I swear those replies weren't there when I posted. Whoops.

I'm a :ninja: with edits.

I'll give it another go tomorrow. There's only 3 holes I really need to get done in the next day - cable drops for office, master bedroom, and comm closet. The comm closet I need a hole saw to do; the hole in the drywall in the closet is large enough (and close enough to the ceiling) that I may just go at it from below, and just hope I don't find the power wiring above the stud/beam/whatever (it's a tight squeeze in the attic). I'll have a much better angle from below.

I need to do one for the guest bedroom and two for my bedroom, but there's already a hole for the guest bedroom drop (from a previous coax install), and a hole cut in the wall.. with a matching hole cut in my wall. So it's just a matter of dropping cables and terminating them. I need to drill a hole in the opposite wall in my bedroom so I can stop having a long-rear end cat5e cable snaking out of my closet to my desktop. And while i'm at it I'll do a matching jack in the living room, just because I can and I'm already inside that wall.

Also, paging Super Aggo CrabbwhateverthefuckBill's name is, along with Motronic:

Mount that as pictured, or flip it over? The wires are coming in from the attic, though a 1.75" hole in a beam. I'd rather not have insulation blow in during storms, or have any unwelcome critters.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

If you flip those over they'll look horrified.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Safety Dance posted:

I'm curious: why the gently caress do you put up with it? Your company sounds like it's just piling technical debt on top of more technical debt.

I get to work 6:30am to 3:30pm, get the gently caress out and get on my bike - that is such a huge thing for me that I'm prepared to go with it. And to be honest I have the first boss ever who actually gives a poo poo about his employees AND is highly technically competent. They might not spend money but a hostile personal enviroment is vastly worse to work in.

Plus.... this is a really facinating place. The best description is Vulture Capitalism but not the strip em clean kinda vulture. Not really sure how to describe it without giving much away as I have NDA's to obey.

I honestly dont knnow what I'll be doing tomorrow half the time. Boredom? Hehe, whats that?

quote:

If anyone was at VMworld in 2009 when the labs completely cratered

So an old version. 9.3 works and works drat well.

quote:

(Samsung + Supermicro + LSI = bad times)

Oh thank Christ, it wasnt just me then.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

LloydDobler posted:

I'm thinking someone stupid enough to think I'm pretty cool and worth staying with might be alright for a god drat change.

Dumb enough to stay with me, but with enough common sense to not believe every Facebook scarepost or chain email etc.

All I'm really asking for is someone with enough common sense to be able to figure out things logically instead of being a helpless idiot like 99% of the population.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
New apartment vent. Who the gently caress installs a heat lamp/lovely air vent combo in a bathroom without wiring it separately, especially if it's right above the toilet. I'm going to hate taking a dump in the summer.

I had no idea that such a thing even existed.

Also Ballast Point's Victory at Sea is loving delicious.

Quite A Tool fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Apr 14, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The ones who don't know how to unscrew a lightbulb and/or replace it with a normal bulb.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
That would be too easy.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I'm just stupid angry right now.

So I put in my 2 weeks notice at Jet's. They also have my school schedule and availability.

Availability is 30 hours a week, but at max, 4 days a week. Since I put in my 2 weeks, I've been hit with 45 hours a week, 6 days a week.

I'm only doing the 2 weeks out of courtesy - I don't plan to list them on my resume anyway.

The GM has been incredibly passive aggressive since I put in my 2 weeks notice. Demanding I clean out the grease trap (you need a license for that), actually yelled at me for washing produce before slicing it, constantly having drivers skip me, that kind of poo poo. The produce bit may or may not earn him a visit from the health department.

The asst mgr is the only one I trust, and the only one I talk to outside of work. I have a few days left in my final 2 weeks, just informed asst mgr that I don't plan to finish the 2 weeks, but I respect him too much to walk out on his shift. I already have shifts at Pizza Hut this week anyway, and my GM there has already been bugging me to come in if I'm not working, since he's been swamped. He took 30 deliveries himself during dinner rush last night, where I might take 21 on an open to close at Jet's. I'm already supposed to have shifts at the two (the GM at Jet's would fire my rear end so quick if he knew), with an hour between them.

I'm not going to finish the 2 weeks. I think my last day will be Wednesday, at best.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

You're too kind to assholes who are blatantly taking advantage of you.
Don't go in again.
Don't go in again.
Don't go in again.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

DICKPOCALYPSE NOW posted:

I just got out from seeing Electric Wizard.

Oh. My. loving. God.

Lucky bastard. Tell me more so I can live vicariously through you.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Jeherrin posted:

Lucky bastard. Tell me more so I can live vicariously through you.

They covered material from just about the greatest hits list from every album, off the top my head I remember Black Mass which the live version they did actually ripped so much better than the studio recording, Saturns Children, Dopethrone and Wierd Tales back to back, Barbarian, it goes on. Total stage time playing was almost 2 hours straight through on th dot without really a whole lot of crowdwork, pretty much hey seattle its time to die and then just ripping through one song and straight into the next. Every single song was played hard and tight, covered just about loving everything. Band called Satan's Satyrs absolutely blew the doors off the place with their opening act and honestly at almost any other time they'd have stolen the show they were that good but holy loving poo poo Wizard absolutely SLAUGHTERED IT tonight. Equipment diallled dead nuts in, multiple on the fly tuning changes between various song blocks, you could actually still make out the tonal differences between albums and not just suffer from what some bands do and kind of whitewash earlier material with whatever their current sound requires

I now have two tickets hangin on my wall. The first and until last night only one that meant enough to save was my Tool ticket in 2006 when they sold out the Oakland Colliseum and I got to hear what 20,000 people singing Aenema sounds like. And now I have this shows ticket next to it. I honestly couldnt have thought of a way to improve it at all. Smaller Venue, and it sold out wo fast that the loving posters printed to hang in the upcoming shows poster cases were preprinted with sold out next to the date already. Street prices for tickets people were getting off scalpers averaged between $150-200 that I saw, picked up a shirt that has a round logo on the front and the rear says:

LEGALIZE

DRUGS

&

MURDER

And they ended with Funeralopolis.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Sitting on the ground hunched over doing outlets all day is not good for my Sciatic Nerve.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Lookie what I saw on the way in this morning.

Figured it would be a couple years before I'd be so lucky as to see a 4c in St. Louis, MO.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

trouser chili posted:

Figured it would be a couple years before I'd be so lucky as to see a 4c in St. Louis, MO.

I saw one of those on westheimer road in Houston. It looked really nice in person.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Cakefool posted:

You're too kind to assholes who are blatantly taking advantage of you.
Don't go in again.
Don't go in again.
Don't go in again.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Cat Terrist posted:

Bluntly put, half the "Enterprise" offerings are just "consumer" with a few tweaks and big fuckoff pricetag. Even on our spinning rust, we lose less drives on the homebrew SAN's and get better performance over the NetApp shelves, especially using SSD caching (The NetApp also has that). That said, there are a few shelves with SAS as required. The rest is Samsung 850 Pros which are proving more than up to it. The only real issue we had was testing it, the backplanes were having trouble and dropping disks - we stepped down to a 3Gb controller until we worked out the 6Gb controller's firmware was just not keeping up with the drives. Flashed firmware, whole shebang screams.

The main reason tho we can use more homebrew is FreeNAS is a very capable SAN OS. 1 hour snapmirrors and VM snapshotting is a godsend

Oh no no, I agree with FreeNAS, but the Enterprise SSDs at least come with a better warrenty, we just purchased a bunch for our database server.

We've got Citrix Xenserver running as the Hypervisor on our machines, and I love that god damned thing, being able to mirror and failover with snapshots is a godsend. Server has an issue? Just switch to the mirror and shut down the troubled one.

But yeah, mechanical SAS drives are still the bees knees for the price, Enterprise SSDs are just still too expensive for no real reason.

Das Volk posted:

If anyone was at VMworld in 2009 when the labs completely cratered, it was partly because we were dumb enough to use FreeNAS to present object storage rather than block. Over Cisco UCS on FCoE. Whiiiich means one IOP was looping back and forth through the same wire 4 times. The whole reasoning behind this was that block would introduce the problem of VMFS only being able to have 8 open file handles per file, however the provisioning software was set up so it didn't need to do that to begin with. So I just cut FreeNAS out of the loop by directly mounting the FCoE LUNs and bam, lab goes from non-starter to usable.

I wasn't there but I read about that poo poo storm, FreeNAS at least updated later to resolve that issue, and iSCSI has come a long way as far as open source.

But in most cases, Network Cards are now offering hardware level iSCSI provisioning now, and our Dells have iSCSI boot built in.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 14, 2015

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Ozmiander posted:

Because Albany is the area you move FROM.

Also:

IT'S HAPPENING.

Details immediately please!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

MrChips posted:

Cards Against Humanity is a seriously good tool for judging people; if I have to spend an inordinate amount of time explaining the joke, I don't know what else to say. On a semi-related note, I want someone who isn't afraid to make their opinions known; now, that's not to say I want to date a total nag, but don't be afraid to call me out if I need it...god only knows I need it a lot :v:.
Cards Against Humanity really is great for that as well as being a great game. I think I'll be doing a drinks, CAH and movie night later this week. Only downside is playing CAH with only two people doesn't really work well.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Also, any one on snap chat get on there for some train snaps. First one is mediocre but the second on has some lovely diesel idle.
Sweet train snaps are always good.

Cat Terrist posted:

I'm the sole Windows server admin over 27 countries and 130 sites.
drat I'll never complain about my couple systems and other systems I babysit and help out on.

Availability is 30 hours a week, but at max, 4 days a week. Since I put in my 2 weeks, I've been hit with 45 hours a week, 6 days a week.
gently caress Jets. Seriously don't let them pull that poo poo to you. At most work your 30 hours then tell them to gently caress off. You turned in your two week and they're seeing what they can get away with, gently caress them.

Local dealership had a couple of these at cars and coffee this weekend for people to look at and attempt to sit in. Watching people attempt to get in and out of them was entertaining. Salesman is going to give me a call when he has a slow day so I can take one for a spin even though he knows I have no intent in buying one.

I think the WRL/Chump team I'm on has gone crazy. We're registered for races in Texas, Oklahoma, Michigan, Illinois and West Virginia...we're based in West Central Wisconsin. I'm just waiting for our tow vehicle to break down driving to/from one of these races.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

The GM has been incredibly passive aggressive since I put in my 2 weeks notice. Demanding I clean out the grease trap (you need a license for that)

Thats weird, what kind of license do you need to clean out a grease trap? I do it every week at my restaurant and always figured its easy but nasty bitch work for the dishwasher, haha.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I always look at two weeks notice as a way of not burning a bridge and saying "I liked working for you, it isn't working out now but maybe down the road things will change."

I know with my current job if something comes up and I need to take it immediately I'll have no problems walking out. Its a corporation, its not like they actually would care about you if the situation was reversed.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
You guys are pretty okay with everything but I am picky as hell about girls. Must be my inner goon I guess

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Tusen Takk posted:

in other news, :rip: my cars hood :smith:

last night an escalade whose driver was too busy on her phone hit a tire in the road and launched it at my car while i was going about 75mph

i tried to flag her down but she wouldn't pull over, so i got her license number and called the cops. It could have gone way, way worse but still, finding a hood for a quad coupe /redline will be challenging, and finding a replacement bumper even more so

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Just went out to eat for lunch since we are working an hour away from the shop. Guess who I run into as soon as I get inside the store? Yep, my boss.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

They covered material from just about the greatest hits list from every album, off the top my head I remember Black Mass which the live version they did actually ripped so much better than the studio recording, Saturns Children, Dopethrone and Wierd Tales back to back, Barbarian, it goes on. Total stage time playing was almost 2 hours straight through on th dot without really a whole lot of crowdwork, pretty much hey seattle its time to die and then just ripping through one song and straight into the next. Every single song was played hard and tight, covered just about loving everything. Band called Satan's Satyrs absolutely blew the doors off the place with their opening act and honestly at almost any other time they'd have stolen the show they were that good but holy loving poo poo Wizard absolutely SLAUGHTERED IT tonight. Equipment diallled dead nuts in, multiple on the fly tuning changes between various song blocks, you could actually still make out the tonal differences between albums and not just suffer from what some bands do and kind of whitewash earlier material with whatever their current sound requires

I now have two tickets hangin on my wall. The first and until last night only one that meant enough to save was my Tool ticket in 2006 when they sold out the Oakland Colliseum and I got to hear what 20,000 people singing Aenema sounds like. And now I have this shows ticket next to it. I honestly couldnt have thought of a way to improve it at all. Smaller Venue, and it sold out wo fast that the loving posters printed to hang in the upcoming shows poster cases were preprinted with sold out next to the date already. Street prices for tickets people were getting off scalpers averaged between $150-200 that I saw, picked up a shirt that has a round logo on the front and the rear says:

LEGALIZE

DRUGS

&

MURDER

I'm so loving envious, I wish they would come to St. Louis.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

trouser chili posted:

I've seen one but expensive cars aren't really uncommon in Fairfield County. So many Tesla Model S' around here.

That reminds me, I forgot to put this picture in my album earlier.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I can't find anywhere to get these tires mounted right now. Everywhere I've checked either won't let you bring your own or is too backed up with other cars. :arch:

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

LEGALIZE

DRUGS

&

MURDER

This sounds awesome. When the gain ramps up on the intro riff to Funeralopolis :allears: I love hearing those kinds of transitions live.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

SperginMcBadposter posted:

I can't find anywhere to get these tires mounted right now. Everywhere I've checked either won't let you bring your own or is too backed up with other cars. :argh:
Did you check walmart? They can probably mount a tire reasonably.

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT

Cage posted:

no no no no no no no no no

Been there done that with three different locations in three states, every single time they scratched the hell out of my wheels and couldn't balance them halfway right. Stock subaru 17s too, nothing special. Good luck finding anyone to give a poo poo about your complaints either.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Scrambles posted:

no no no no no no no no no

Been there done that with three different locations in three states, every single time they scratched the hell out of my wheels and couldn't balance them halfway right. Stock subaru 17s too, nothing special. Good luck finding anyone to give a poo poo about your complaints either.

Yeah, I got my tires at Wal Mart, and had to have them re-balanced. The Tires are great, name brand Michelin, but they didn't balance them right.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I ended up getting an appointment at one of the firestones to get them done tomorrow morning.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Instead of looking for a tire shop look for a Llantera!

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Cage posted:

Terrible advice. I wouldn't trust them to even wash my windshield.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
kintetsu semi-express to nagoya:

hikari shinkansen towards hiroshima:

trains own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I found a black quadcoupe hood in the area for $50, should I go full ricer and just go with the black hood or should I submit the insurance claim and get it fixed?

• Locked thread