Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I too harken back to the days when we coudln't aim bombs very well and just dropped like thousands of the loving things all over the place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Crain posted:

I didn't see this here today: A man committed suicide at the US capitol holding a "Tax the 1%" sign.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/04/11/washington-dc-capitol-building-lockdown/25633433/

For some reason USA today doesn't actually say what the sign said, just referring to it as a "social justice message", but the Washington Post article does.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...9a32_story.html

Random Chinese Man Burns Self to Death - Chanted Messages While Doing So

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Stereotype posted:

I too harken back to the days when we coudln't aim bombs very well and just dropped like thousands of the loving things all over the place

I know right? You could off-target by literal miles and no one gave a poo poo. Man, those were the days. :allears:

Yeah, it may be impersonal, but as long as ya'll are going to kill civilian bystanders anyway, I'll take a dozen or fewer murders, over hundreds.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Joementum posted:

All war is a crime. Hope this helps.

:hfive:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Joementum posted:

All war is a crime. Hope this helps.
Yeah but it's traditional and thus grandfathered in, same as the tobacco business.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Boon posted:

Yes. Hope that helps form your opinion on the history of our stand-off death machines.

OK, so then I dislike both fairly equally and i'm not freaking out about tech, but still laughing at liberals defending programs they wouldn't have under Bush.

Stereotype posted:

I dislike the firebombing of civilian populations in Japan and Germany at least as much the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki due to the higher bodycount.

But yet I'm leftist and ATOMS, I am so conflicted I cannot fit a stereotype properly. :negative:

AndNowMax
Sep 25, 2009

Fighting the fight for *mumble* *mumble*

ComradeCosmobot posted:

She has only 50 51 votes for nomination and is still blocked because of the unrelated sex trafficking bill. At this point I am convinced that McConnell is waiting for one of the four Republicans pledged to her to flip or for Menendez to resign and then, suddenly, she's brought up now that she can no longer pass.

Mark Kirk announced he'd support her, so she's got 5 republican senators who've pledged their support. And if one of them flips there's still one man who can come to her rescue:

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Zeitgueist posted:

and i'm not freaking out about tech, but still laughing at liberals defending programs they wouldn't have under Bush.

Don't conflate equipment with policy. Drones improve the efficiency and cost-effectiveness of the military, so you ideally do less collateral damage for less money to accomplish the same goals. Having drones around does not generate new incentives to strike, we make drones because we have a lot of targets we want to strike already. It is fully possible to have a nuanced position that says we shouldn't be blowing so much poo poo up, but if we're going to, we might as well use drone strikes over other options.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Don't conflate equipment with policy. Drones improve the efficiency and cost-effectiveness of the military, so you ideally do less collateral damage for less money to accomplish the same goals. Having drones around does not generate new incentives to strike, we make drones because we have a lot of targets we want to strike already. It is fully possible to have a nuanced position that says we shouldn't be blowing so much poo poo up, but if we're going to, we might as well use drone strikes over other options.

This, investment in drone technology is good and there are TONS of civilian applications. Military drones exist because there is a demand, not because people are trying to create one.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Pretend I emptyquoted this.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

As far as I understand it, the counterargument says that the drone technology creates the appearance of a relatively bloodless solution to military conflicts, and thus changing the public's mental calculus about the consequences of going to war. It's less that the technology itself is the problem so much as it enables a sort of psychological distancing when making decisions, or selling it to the public politically.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Crain posted:

I didn't see this here today: A man committed suicide at the US capitol holding a "Tax the 1%" sign.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/04/11/washington-dc-capitol-building-lockdown/25633433/

For some reason USA today doesn't actually say what the sign said, just referring to it as a "social justice message", but the Washington Post article does.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...9a32_story.html

This is hilarious. Let's discuss the world views of James Holmes, Timothy McVeigh, Ted Kaczysnki, and Anders Breivik for months and years on end, but holy hell we couldn't possibly talk about such a dangerous philosophy as "tax the 1.%" That's just beyond the pale!

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Neeksy posted:

As far as I understand it, the counterargument says that the drone technology creates the appearance of a relatively bloodless solution to military conflicts, and thus changing the public's mental calculus about the consequences of going to war. It's less that the technology itself is the problem so much as it enables a sort of psychological distancing when making decisions, or selling it to the public politically.

I'm pretty sure both Iraq wars already created the appearance of relatively bloodless conflict (the first one especially) so not really. Besides, if we didn't have drones those bombing missions would just go to Navy pilots or cruse missiles anyway, only with even more collateral damage since a strike would need to be approved since we would be bombing where targets have been or might be instead of just sticking a drone over an area while it waits for the actual target of that strike to get confirmed.*

*What is suppose to happen all the time but doesn't.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Neeksy posted:

This is worthless hand-wringing though. Literally every military advancement from the club onwards makes achieving objectives any or all of less costly, faster, or more reliable. It's missing the forest for the trees (the problem is interventionism/military-industrialism, not a piece of equipment), and is a waste of time and effort to discuss.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

A Winner is Jew posted:

I'm pretty sure both Iraq wars already created the appearance of relatively bloodless conflict (the first one especially) so not really. Besides, if we didn't have drones those bombing missions would just go to Navy pilots or cruse missiles anyway, only with even more collateral damage since a strike would need to be approved since we would be bombing where targets have been or might be instead of just sticking a drone over an area while it waits for the actual target of that strike to get confirmed.*

*What is suppose to happen all the time but doesn't.

I agree that even if we didn't have drones, there are more than enough people in power willing to continue greasing the gears of the war machine with the blood of soldiers and citizens no matter how ugly the results look. But as far as I understand it, the people who argue against drones are not always going after them from the "they're bad tech" angle but more about the optics of war in politics.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Neeksy posted:

While that may be what the perception of drone technology may be, it's worth noting that the perception is pretty much dead wrong. Aside from the fact that most drone targets don't exactly have air defense systems and the missions would be relatively low-risk for the pilot in any event, drones still have to land and re-arm at traditional airbases in-theater. While these airbases are typically well-protected, they're still vulnerable to attack and so long as the US is fighting in those areas personnel will continue to be at risk.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

fool_of_sound posted:

This is worthless hand-wringing though. Literally every military advancement from the club onwards makes achieving objectives any or all of less costly, faster, or more reliable. It's missing the forest for the trees (the problem is interventionism/military-industrialism, not a piece of equipment), and is a waste of time and effort to discuss.

Yeah, I myself am more concerned about the general trends of interventionism/military-industrialism in the US, but want to understand the critiques about drones a bit better since I see them come up pretty frequently.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

ComradeCosmobot posted:

"Man dies in Saigon street in an apparent religious message."

We cannot grant legitimacy to domestic terrorism and politically motivated suicides by giving this man a venue for his beliefs. Better to just brush it aside to maintain the status quo. It's simply the most prudent and safest action for all involved.
I was thinking more the "we don't want the job creators' TM to feel bad! :qq:" angle.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

SubponticatePoster posted:

I was thinking more the "we don't want the job creators' TM to feel bad! :qq:" angle.

Kind of surprising they're not framing it as yet another dumb impulsive emotional illogical hippie just being another one of their melodramatic selves to discredit their viewpoint.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

There's only one Cruz missile worth worrying about, anyway.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Neeksy posted:

When war is "clean" people support war. When war is "dirty", people support it just as much because bah gawd we need revenge for Cousin Bobby.

I'm sorry but the argument simply doesn't comport with reality. There was no increase in popularity of military intervention due to cruise missiles or drone strikes, the population of the US is generally bloodthirsty as long as they don't have to get drafted (and these measures don't make it less likely) and the people making the military decisions really don't care if some grunts/junior officers die.

Hell look at the Vietnam War: it continued for years after people got generally pissed at it, because the people making military decisions just aren't that vulnerable to public opinion.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The Real War Crime :freep:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

The blue is her party, and the red arrow is where she stands in relation to Democratic Party views. :haw:

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Personally, I'd like to see the US murdering less people abroad regardless of which remote technology they're using.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

AndNowMax posted:

Mark Kirk announced he'd support her, so she's got 5 republican senators who've pledged their support. And if one of them flips there's still one man who can come to her rescue:

Reminder that the GOP hates Holder and they want him gone. She might get in with 50+Biden but it'll be that barest of margins solely to make sure they get rid of holder while being as rear end in a top hat-ish as possible.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Karnegal posted:

Personally, I'd like to see the US murdering less people abroad regardless of which remote technology they're using.

Why? Clearly you've never held an elected office, nor been in a position to influence policy, of at least minimal import. We don't kill people because its easy, we kill people because we wouldn't be able to live with ourselves were we to cease.

Americans in positions of policy influence have given up on the belief that its possible to defeat an idea. Well, I tell you what, we killed our way to defeating the ideals of fascism in WW2, and we're certainly not going to defeat the ideals of radical islam by eliminating fewer designsted targets within the containment zones.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

My Imaginary GF posted:

Why? Clearly you've never held an elected office, nor been in a position to influence policy, of at least minimal import. We don't kill people because its easy, we kill people because we wouldn't be able to live with ourselves were we to cease.

Americans in positions of policy influence have given up on the belief that its possible to defeat an idea. Well, I tell you what, we killed our way to defeating the ideals of fascism in WW2, and we're certainly not going to defeat the ideals of radical islam by eliminating fewer designsted targets within the containment zones.

So what you're saying is when all you have is a drone, everything looks like a terrorist training camp? Cause unfortunately for the hawks this time around, religious extremists don't have something as fragile as a nation-state to kick over to prove their ideology false. If they did, the "Hurr hurr glass the middle east" solution might hold water.

In fact, kicking over nation-states only seems to make the problem worse. Citation: Iraq

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Is this some kind of reverse Konami code that causes you to lose all 4 lives?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Warmachine posted:

So what you're saying is when all you have is a drone, everything looks like a terrorist training camp? Cause unfortunately for the hawks this time around, religious extremists don't have something as fragile as a nation-state to kick over to prove their ideology false. If they did, the "Hurr hurr glass the middle east" solution might hold water.

In fact, kicking over nation-states only seems to make the problem worse. Citation: Iraq

When the consequences of missing one terrorist training camp are a modern pearl harbour and 8 trillion in response spending over 20 years, you tend to err on the side of individual responsibility. Namely, since you cannot reasonably expect adequate reparations and compensation for stateless actions, individuals have the responsibility to unambiguously organize against local terrorist training camps in a manner which is politically expedient to both the Democratic and Republican Congressional delegations before we have to enact policies which will take adequate action on individual's behalf.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Apr 14, 2015

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

My Imaginary GF posted:

When the consequences of missing one terrorist training camp are a modern pearl harbour and 8 trillion in response spending over 20 years, you tend to err on the side of individual responsibility. Namely, since you cannot reasonably expect adequate reparations and compensation for stateless actions, individuals have the responsibility to unambiguously organize against local terrorist training camps in a manner which is politically expedient to both the Democratic and Republican Congressional delegations before we have to enact policies which will take adequate action on individual's behalf.

"9/11 happened because we missed a terrorist training camp"

Gee whiz, I wonder why the terrorist training camps were set-up in the first place.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

gradenko_2000 posted:

"9/11 happened because we missed a terrorist training camp"

Gee whiz, I wonder why the terrorist training camps were set-up in the first place.

Because we missed the window of pre-MAD opportunity to take down the entire terrorist training camp then known as the Soviet Union.

And yeah, 9/11 was the result of missing a terrorist training camp. Specifically, the one in Florida which trained the hijackers. Had we been less fearful of politically incorrect profiling of KSA nationals learning to fly jetliners in America, we could have avoided that whole Afghan excursion and focused on the true rogue state of the world, Iran.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

My Imaginary GF posted:

Because we missed the window of pre-MAD opportunity to take down the entire terrorist training camp then known as the Soviet Union.

Can you please stop? There's an actual discussion that could be had here and all you're doing is making it impossible to have it in the first place with your absurd escalations in rhetoric.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Good Citizen posted:

Is this some kind of reverse Konami code that causes you to lose all 4 lives?

:golfclap:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Somebody found MIGF's central computer and stuck in the Curtis Lemay tape.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I just really dont buy into this argument that things will get worse with republicans and we should vote for hillary. why are people so afraid to do the work our communities need? like organizing locally? organizing with the poor? listening and learning from peoples stories? doing more community empowerment? how are these things more difficult than dealing with the repercussions of being further recognized and included into a liberal state

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Anime Curator posted:

I just really dont buy into this argument that things will get worse with republicans and we should vote for hillary. why are people so afraid to do the work our communities need? like organizing locally? organizing with the poor? listening and learning from peoples stories? doing more community empowerment? how are these things more difficult than dealing with the repercussions of being further recognized and included into a liberal state

People aren't afraid of doing those things. People are poor and don't have a hell of a lot of free time and may not be sufficiently educated or empowered.

Yes, Hillary/the DNC might not be the best choice (for whatever definition of 'choice' you may have taking into consideration the formalization of the two-party system), but there's a difference between the candidate whose positions you are in favor of the most, and the candidate who can actually win, and just because people suggest the latter stance does not mean that the long-term approach of "vote Socialists for dog-catcher/city councilor so the country can start its slow lurch into progressivism" isn't or shouldn't also be done.

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.

Anime Curator posted:

If you don't buy into the argument, then follow your heart. Don't vote for her. Try to go out to your local Wal-Mart, or church, or gun store, and do that good work of convincing your fellow Americans that we should organize with the poor and listen to each other. It's not difficult at all, it's just that too few people have the courage that you have to "do the work our communities need". It's not that people could ever be opposed to unifying communities, they just need you to point the way for them.

And stick to your guns: don't buy into that argument that things will get worse with Republicans. That's just fearmongering. You're better than that, so work on the community level and make this country a better place!

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Quidam Viator posted:

And stick to your guns: don't buy into that argument that things will get worse with Republicans. That's just fearmongering. You're better than that, so work on the community level and make this country a better place!

If it is just fear mongering then why do you advocate voting Republican so the entire thing burns down? :jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.

Pohl posted:

If it is just fear mongering then why do you advocate voting Republican so the entire thing burns down? :jerkbag:

SSSSHHHHHHHHH. I only need like 10 million more of him. You're going to ruin it if you start making him think that the country will collapse if he doesn't go out and vote for Hillary!

• Locked thread