Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

xthetenth posted:

Does it have 6" secondaries? Because switching to AP would explain them being that good and iirc 5" and less fires HE.

Nine 140mm (5.5in) and two twin-5in DP guns per side, with 5km range before upgrades. (Fuso and Kongo have 4km, Amagi 4.5km and Yamato also got 5km.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It's a St Louis-like barrage of fire as soon as somebody gets within range. Except you've also got 8 16 inch guns. It is thoroughly entertaining.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

That does sound comedy, but if I can get citadel hits like I used to and have seen in the wild I'm putting accuracy on, and dropping blockshot.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
The accuracy upgrade doesn't seem to do much for the 16-inchers. You can still citadel people at shorter ranges if they present their sides unabngled and at long range, it's a lottery even with the upgrade.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
I don't have a Nagato but seeing as its secondaries make me hate life as a DD and CL/CA when I'm in range of them I can see the secondary range upgrade being good.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

For all you ship nerds with too much money, pre-orders now give you CBT access, supposedly starting April 14th although older pre-orders still get invited.
http://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/preorder-bundles/

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
They announce this after the discount period is over lmbo well played Wargaming

MadWOPR
Jan 26, 2014
Which of those bundles are best?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I'm glad my weekend pass got me in. Though I'll be a bit happier when the stupid space map goes away and the matchmaking gets a little less hosed.

I've been having fun with American destroyers, and I think I'll like destroyers in general unless until they get nerfed. Are the high tier destroyers generally still fast torpedo and smoke platforms? Setting up ambushes and dodging my way into torpedo range is both entertaining and somewhat challenging, so if it sticks with that play style I'll definitely be going straight down the destroyer trees. :getin:

The only time I've really had problems was when we had a bunch of low tier ships with no carriers and only a tier 3 BB vs a team of all tier 4 and 5 ships with multiple Kongos on that open ocean map. That... was a bit of a brutal buttfucking. What is the best way to handle playing on that open ocean map as a destroyer? Group up with any other destroyers and try and rush the least defended high value target?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

MadWOPR posted:

Which of those bundles are best?

Grimyaschy, Sims or both with a complimentary shitbarge.

More to follow soon, demon you might want to put it in the op.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Zaodai posted:

I've been having fun with American destroyers, and I think I'll like destroyers in general unless until they get nerfed. Are the high tier destroyers generally still fast torpedo and smoke platforms? Setting up ambushes and dodging my way into torpedo range is both entertaining and somewhat challenging, so if it sticks with that play style I'll definitely be going straight down the destroyer trees. :getin:

Destroyers are a chore beyond tier 5, enjoy yourself at low tiers.

quote:

The only time I've really had problems was when we had a bunch of low tier ships with no carriers and only a tier 3 BB vs a team of all tier 4 and 5 ships with multiple Kongos on that open ocean map. That... was a bit of a brutal buttfucking. What is the best way to handle playing on that open ocean map as a destroyer? Group up with any other destroyers and try and rush the least defended high value target?

You kinda have to meander around and fight other destroyers for a while, while laying down torpedo spreads when you can.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
I assume high tier US destroyers play like the Sims does: hang around 9/10km from the enemy, dropping incessant barrages from your guns onto the BBs on the other team and doing enough damage be noticeable but not quite enough to have them pick targeting you over the BBs behind you. Use torpedoes only when things get close or you want to force the BBs to turn (Fletcher and Gearing both get ~10km range torps).

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Sims: So freaking nimble. Dance all over the place. You're fast, your ship turns on a dime, and your turrets turn fast enough you can pick it up. The torps suck and have basically worthless range for anything but fighting other destroyers, but you can dance around laying harassment fire really easy. Very fun to play, I haven't gotten much time in it.

Grimyaschy: An interesting middle ground between US and Japanese destroyers. Where US destroyer guns aim quickly, reload quickly and lob their shells, the Grimyaschy aims very slowly, reloads quickly, and its shells fly fast. Its shells take half the time US shells do to travel 12 km. The torpedoes are good and medium ranged but relatively few, and the ship is small but not tiny. Once you get the gun turn speed upgrade on the commander it's a great ship with a high skill ceiling since you have to plan your gun turns ahead of time, and getting close in against destroyers is tricky if you don't know what you're doing. You can also rake in huge numbers of citadel hits and tear the face off cruisers below tier five faster than you'd think is possible. It generally wins destroyer duels at long range and generally doesn't have a great time at closer range, where the greater throw weight and better ability of US destroyers to throw waves of torps makes it hard to keep up.

Yubari: effectively free if you get the three pack rather than buying the Sims and Grim separately, which is a happy coincidence because that's exactly what it's worth. Japanese light citadels cruisers suck, and the Yubari's about the biggest target. It doesn't have a very powerful battery, has a small load of torps and its main advantage is a pretty good AA suite that isn't worth the downsides in the slightest. The guns are pretty accurate though, which is nice because there's only four of them and real ships are likely to break you in half by your fifth reload.

Insert name here posted:

I assume high tier US destroyers play like the Sims does: hang around 9/10km from the enemy, dropping incessant barrages from your guns onto the BBs on the other team and doing enough damage be noticeable but not quite enough to have them pick targeting you over the BBs behind you. Use torpedoes only when things get close or you want to force the BBs to turn (Fletcher and Gearing both get ~10km range torps).

Like that but with the Fletcher and Gearing they have real torps. Until then it's pretty similar. Long range harassment fire and anti-destroyer screening is the name of the game.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 13, 2015

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Thanks for the destroyer answers. I picked up the three pack when it was on sale, and the Sims is fun, if map dependent. The fact that higher tier destroyers get better torps would obviously make it more fun. I keep meaning to try out the Japanese destroyers, but I was spending most of my playtime on them trying Battleships. Or would be, if I didn't just keep going back to the Destroyers and going all Taffy-3 on motherfuckers.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Battleships are fun and good to play but I've been holding off on them because I want my American Battleships damnit :mad:

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

The US tier 5 destroyer is so good. A murder machine if you play your ambushes right.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Insert name here posted:

Battleships are fun and good to play but I've been holding off on them because I want my American Battleships damnit :mad:
I hope at least the low-tier slow battleships in that branch won't be horribly short-ranged like the Kawachi. Being slow with not much armor and no AA to speak of and unable to even reach cruisers shooting at you makes a sad battleship.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I hope at least the low-tier slow battleships in that branch won't be horribly short-ranged like the Kawachi. Being slow with not much armor and no AA to speak of and unable to even reach cruisers shooting at you makes a sad battleship.
Um, in that case you might as well play a carrier and not use your planes at all. It'd be about as useful.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Poil posted:

Um, in that case you might as well play a carrier and not use your planes at all. It'd be about as useful.
I'm...not sure what you mean? I get that I can take a BB and brawl with it if that's what you're getting at, but that requires the brawl to actually still be there by the time a Kawachi can get to such a location. Or were you agreeing with me? Am I just reacting to the weird tone of your post?

I don't understand the reference to carriers unless you are psychic and have discerned that I ragequit carriers once I realized I had more fun torpedoing things with destroyers instead.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

I don't remember the South Carolina being quite that short ranged but that was a long time ago.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm...not sure what you mean? I get that I can take a BB and brawl with it if that's what you're getting at, but that requires the brawl to actually still be there by the time a Kawachi can get to such a location. Or were you agreeing with me? Am I just reacting to the weird tone of your post?

I don't understand the reference to carriers unless you are psychic and have discerned that I ragequit carriers once I realized I had more fun torpedoing things with destroyers instead.
Ah, sorry. My fault. I read your post as complaining that the ship was bad at everything and reached the conclusion that it was about as useful as trying to play a carrier like a battleship. Hope that makes more sense. :shobon:

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Eh, the low tiers will at least go by fast. I have 22 games combined on the Kawachi and Myogi and performed absolutely horrid on the Kawachi and below par on the Myogi to take that long.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Been a while so I haven't been keeping up but if you buy the 3 ship pack in the premium shop are the premium days counted for all accounts when you purchase or only when the game gets released?

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Chillyrabbit posted:

Been a while so I haven't been keeping up but if you buy the 3 ship pack in the premium shop are the premium days counted for all accounts when you purchase or only when the game gets released?

Only for WoWs. You'll get the prem days immediately for the closed beta nad all of them again in the open beta. Apparently, there will be no wipe between OBT and release.

Magni fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 14, 2015

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Yeah, ordering one of the premium packages gets you a CBT key - just got one this evening and gave it to my friend.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Yeah, ordering one of the premium packages gets you a CBT key - just got one this evening and gave it to my friend.

How long from order to key delivery?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Did they just email it to you? I picked up a three pack a few days ago and haven't received a key yet. I wasn't expecting one, but it'd be a nice bonus to give to one of my friends.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Has Wargaming said anything about what they are doing for carriers, other than AP dive bombers? I have been getting more and more games with no carriers on either side lately.

Generalissimo
Jun 13, 2003

Zaodai posted:

Did they just email it to you? I picked up a three pack a few days ago and haven't received a key yet. I wasn't expecting one, but it'd be a nice bonus to give to one of my friends.
I bought the 3-pack around 6am the day they put it up for sale and I received a key via email 5 hours ago despite already being in. Check your spam?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Generalissimo posted:

I bought the 3-pack around 6am the day they put it up for sale and I received a key via email 5 hours ago despite already being in. Check your spam?

I bought mine a bit later than that, so maybe they're still working through the list. I'll check it tomorrow after work. Not a huge deal if they don't send me one. It wasn't advertised at the time I ordered it, so it's not like I feel cheated if I don't get it.

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
Yeah gently caress that, their marketing strategy of only distributing keys through streamers pretty much burned out the goodwill I had for this game. If wargaming ever deigns it necessary to send out keys to people who actually signed up for one and I get one that way I'll play it, but I'm not doing thirty dollars on a shitbarge just so I can justify their business plan

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I bought the triple pack some 24 hours ago and didn't get a key but I am already in the beta.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
I have been in the weekend beta from the start. I also joined the closed beta on the first day. Yet, for some reason, I have just received a key by email. I'll check on the wargamming forums to see if I actually need that key for something. If not, then I may be giving it to one of you guys.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

grrarg posted:

Has Wargaming said anything about what they are doing for carriers, other than AP dive bombers? I have been getting more and more games with no carriers on either side lately.
The only things they've mentioned are "advanced fighter machanics" and AP dive bombers and nothing beyond that :iiam:

Chucullinn
Dec 9, 2008
Does anyone want to share in my misery of playing in a Nagato to try and get the agami and want to platoon up?

IGN is Chucullinn

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Dalael posted:

I have been in the weekend beta from the start. I also joined the closed beta on the first day. Yet, for some reason, I have just received a key by email. I'll check on the wargamming forums to see if I actually need that key for something. If not, then I may be giving it to one of you guys.

Would you mind giving it to me? I've wanted to try this game for ages and dont hear back by email when i apply for the closed beta.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

gwrtheyrn posted:

How long from order to key delivery?

3-4 days? I ordered the premium pack the same morning that they announced it.

Zaodai posted:

Yeah. They emailed me last night.

In other news:

http://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/pre-order-bundles-cbt-access/

Ordering a bundle will get you CBT access.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
What cruiser line has the best 203mm gun ships? Looking for some middle ground between the Cleveland's inability to hit heavy targets and battleships at their gigantic reload times.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Insert name here posted:

The only things they've mentioned are "advanced fighter machanics" and AP dive bombers and nothing beyond that :iiam:
Maybe aggressive or defensive formations? More or less damage at the expense of lower or higher survivability? Doubt it's anything more advanced than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Asehujiko posted:

What cruiser line has the best 203mm gun ships? Looking for some middle ground between the Cleveland's inability to hit heavy targets and battleships at their gigantic reload times.

USA. Even when they're fragile, their weaknesses are much smaller.