Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Jealous Cow posted:

Just pulled into the gate at IAD. Had to walk a little further from the plane to the jetway because we hit a luggage cart with the lift wingtip while pulling in. Went about 6" into the wing then pulled out a bunch of wiring for the strobe and what looked like insulation.

Ouch. Who's fault is that? Ground crew I assume?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Dumbest dash-8 flight in a while this weekend: about 50 minutes of taxiing and waiting in line for takeoff for an 18 minute flight. Could've just got there faster in a car.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
United 737 off the runway at Houston's Intercontinental Airport today.

http://abc13.com/news/plane-skids-off-the-runway-at-iah/655063/#videoplayer

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

bolind posted:

I'm usually not one to wax poetic about lost opportunities, but some days I really regret that I didn't start travelling to Hong Kong 15 years earlier, I would've loved to experience a landing in Kai Tak.

My recollection is there's not that much drama from somewhere in the middle of a 747, unless there's a particularly vicious crosswind. You probably didn't miss much unless you were planning to be on the flight deck.

e: 747 upper deck chat - BA used to put economy on the upper deck and I've flown a couple SIN - LHR flights on it. Not any different than the main deck, other than a bit quieter due to there being less people, and I got to bed down on the floor by the emergency exit on one of them.

Saga fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 13, 2015

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!

The Ferret King posted:

United 737 off the runway at Houston's Intercontinental Airport today.

http://abc13.com/news/plane-skids-off-the-runway-at-iah/655063/#videoplayer

Some moron who will never ever ever work for a major airline posted:

Mason, who is now a student pilot, believes the rainy weather played a factor in their hard landing. She kids that if given the chance, her flight would've turned out differently.

"As a student pilot, I think I probably could've done a better job if that," she said. "

As if it wasn't already hard enough to get a job, she's now got her first and last name associated with a quote badmouthing the flight crew of a commercial airliner after an incident. "Not a team player" is the word they'd use in HR-land, I think.

Edit: I'm a moron who doesn't read. Also, I suck cocks.

ctishman fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 13, 2015

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
If you read the article a little more closely, she worked for Pan Am for 20 years. I don't think this is someone planning on being a commercial 737 pilot at any point in time.

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Psion posted:

If you read the article a little more closely, she worked for Pan Am for 20 years. I don't think this is someone planning on being a commercial 737 pilot at any point in time.

Good point. Are Pan Am employees somehow miraculously still drawing the sort of pension that would let them take flying lessons?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ctishman posted:

Good point. Are Pan Am employees somehow miraculously still drawing the sort of pension that would let them take flying lessons?

Yes, people used to actually get benefits.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Also if you're just trying for a sport license, it's not that expensive, especially if you're able to devote a lot of time to it. Several thousand dollars, sure, so it's not cheap but it's not at all implausible. A particularly fancy vacation could hit you for that much. Plus, we don't know the first thing about this person's finances aside from "worked for Pan Am" so it's really pointless and kind of presumptuous to even speculate on whether it's based on benefits or not.

I mean like, imagine this was you: you're in a plane that departs the runway the wrong way, you're probably coming down from the adrenaline, and you make a joke when a reporter interviews you. No big deal.

e: now I see your edit. :v:

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

mlmp08 posted:

Dumbest dash-8 flight in a while this weekend: about 50 minutes of taxiing and waiting in line for takeoff for an 18 minute flight. Could've just got there faster in a car.

What was the route?

I've flown quite a few YVR-SEA legs where the taxiing and waiting for a runway has taken longer than the flight, especially if Seattle is landing to the south.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

slidebite posted:

Ouch. Who's fault is that? Ground crew I assume?

It's an EMB-145. Probably ground crew.

Have a lovely pic

Jealous Cow fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 13, 2015

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

hobbesmaster posted:

Yes, people used to actually get benefits.

Large Swaths of this Moronic Country posted:

BUT UNIONS IS BAD! :argh: Ruinin' are country! BOOTSTRAPS!!!

Anyways....[quote="Jealous Cow" post=""44400919"][/quote]

I like how this looks like one of those pictures run through the photoshop painting filters.

I call this piece: "Portrait of a Fuckup".

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Jealous Cow posted:

It's an EMB-145. Probably ground crew.

Have a lovely pic

Generally, if an airplane runs into something while being marshalled into a parking space, the ground crew gets held responsible, since the pilots can't really see anything that isn't straight in front of them.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dulles sucks all the cocks anyway. Welcome to the National Capital Region.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Pretty sure this counts as aeronautical insanity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqNVY5_MFug

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
^^^ whoooooo that hangtime :stonklol:

You snooze, you lose... your job.

Alaska 737 returns to Seattle after napping worker awakes in cargo hold

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Duke Chin posted:

Clearly the ramper was doing research for the first part of his upcoming rap opera "Trapped in the cargo hold"

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

azflyboy posted:

Clearly the ramper was doing research for the first part of his upcoming rap opera "Trapped in the cargo hold"

♫ And then I was like "GIRL, TURN THIS PLANE AROUND!"
And she was like "NO - Not till you tell me what ho is in dat hold!"
And I was like... ♫

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

A Handed Missus posted:

Some new uploads from the San Diego Air & Space Museum Archives

Grumman F-14A 157991 tested with retractable canards at NASA Dryden

What's the idea here? better high AOA performance? They kind of remind me of the Hornet's LERX

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Nebakenezzer posted:

If you want to read about the B-36 I've written a thing.

Nice article!

Previa_fun posted:

What's the idea here? better high AOA performance? They kind of remind me of the Hornet's LERX

They were fitted for spin testing; at the time, there was considerable doubt that the F-14 was capable of recovering from a spin under certain circumstances, so they fitted these temporary, non-retractable surfaces on the nose of the second F-14 prototype. As testing progressed, it was found that the aircraft was (barely) able to recover from a spin on its own, negating the need for these surfaces in later aircraft.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

MrChips posted:

They were fitted for spin testing; at the time, there was considerable doubt that the F-14 was capable of recovering from a spin under certain circumstances, so they fitted these temporary, non-retractable surfaces on the nose of the second F-14 prototype. As testing progressed, it was found that the aircraft was (barely) able to recover from a spin on its own, negating the need for these surfaces in later aircraft.

RIP Goose. :v:
Thanks, makes sense.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

MrChips posted:

Semi-related to this: at what point did they finally give up on the glove vanes extending during sweep?

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Does someone have a TLDR on the shortcomings of the F35 and the cost overuns with the project? My father in law is a self proclaimed expert on government waste and is not familiar with the project; I'd like to delight him with some talking points when I see him this weekend.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Duke Chin posted:

Semi-related to this: at what point did they finally give up on the glove vanes extending during sweep?

When the maintainers threw their wrenches to the ground, threw up their hands and collectively said, "gently caress this poo poo now and forever". :v:

Seriously, it isn't that far off it; it was determined that the glove vanes didn't add anything but an additional maintenance hassle (in a jet that already had far too many of those), so they were removed around the time the F-14A+/F-14B and F-14D programs began (in the early to mid-1980s).

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

Nebakenezzer posted:

Your notes about intercepting the B-36 are pretty spot on; I've read it pretty much took the MiG-19 and early AAMs to pose any serious threat to the Peacemaker (at which point it was rapidly withdrawn from service). She was pretty much untouchable for most of her career.

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

blk posted:

Does someone have a TLDR on the shortcomings of the F35 and the cost overuns with the project? My father in law is a self proclaimed expert on government waste and is not familiar with the project; I'd like to delight him with some talking points when I see him this weekend.

Oh god. The list is endless:
  • "Common" aircraft for USAF, USN and USMC requirements. The first two could be met without too much trouble (cram the Navy fighter down the Air Force's throat) but the latter demanded huge compromises. It turns out that all three airframes are fairly different at this point anyways, and all the common components (avionics, engines, etc.) are the expensive parts.
  • Strict weight growth margins (to reign in development) that forced the aircraft to use really expensive materials
  • Enormously sophisticated avionics suite, including full camera arrays so a pilot can "look through" the plane. This is actually pretty important and probably the hardest and most expensive part: the lethality of modern aircraft comes mostly from the C4ISR complex (onboard and offboard) coupled with 'brilliant' weapons.
  • Ability to carry really heavy weapons
  • Demands that the aircraft be ready as soon as possible instead of more incremental building tranches.
  • Highly-automated production line which is economically sound only when mass production is in full swing. Flyaway cost (signed contracts with NATO partners) will be ~$80-90M once full production commences. But until then, each airframe will be really, really expensive.

A single 'normal' carrier airframe with most of the above requirements would be difficult. Adding in "common airframe" requirements just made it much, much harder.

phongn fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Apr 14, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Nebakenezzer posted:

You spelled Sandia "Sadnia." :)

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Duke Chin posted:

Speaking of this, having only worked on 737s (but seen the similar interiors on most of Boeing's jets), what sort of planes are in service today that have an unpressurized cargo hold? On the '37s at least, it's literally the same pressure vessel, with holes from the bottom of the air grilles at the baseboard down into the cargo holds (unless you're over the wingbox, of course). Did he just hate LA that much?

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes
From a Guardian article about failed large-scale projects in London:

"The Guardian posted:

In 1931, architect Charles Glover proposed to increase airborne traffic by building an elevated airport above the railway sidings of King’s Cross. It was a remarkable plan: a pinwheel arrangement of concrete runways, supported directly on top of new buildings, allowing planes to take off in different directions across the city. Like other plans for runways built over the Thames, King’s Cross airport didn’t quite see the light of day. But the perennial problem of air capacity and obsolescent air infrastructure could be very different today if they had.

Why yes those are runways that all intersect in the middle

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Gibfender posted:

Yeah, that design wouldn't have survived 1940.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Gibfender posted:

Pinwheel/wagon wheel airport layouts were extremely common up through the end of World War II. Many smaller GA airports in the US retain significant parts of their original wagon wheel layout.

The volume of arrivals and departures that we see at a modern international airport today was something that was simply impossible to comprehend at the time. Most airlines were still nationalized, or at least running on nationally-assigned route structures, and therefore, the exponential growth of the seventies and eighties was unimaginable. Hell, in the early thirties, most of Pan-Am's passengers were still carried by flying boats.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

azflyboy posted:

What was the route?

I've flown quite a few YVR-SEA legs where the taxiing and waiting for a runway has taken longer than the flight, especially if Seattle is landing to the south.

CLT to GSP.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Gibfender posted:

I guess they're not meant to be used all at once, but help against crosswinds. And not having to deal with crosswinds would possibly help slightly against runway excursions and overruns, which would be really bad.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Ola posted:

I guess they're not meant to be used all at once, but help against crosswinds. And not having to deal with crosswinds would possibly help slightly against runway excursions and overruns, which would be really bad.

Yeah, it's essentially a single runway airport, just with different options for common wind directions.

When you want that to expand to 2 runways, you end up with 1950s heathrow:

e:

It should be noted that 9L and 9R are still as they were then, today:

You can even make out the bits of the old runways that are still used as taxiways, but the rest is filled in with parking/gates mostly, and the huge cargo terminal on the west side of the centre.

SybilVimes fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Apr 14, 2015

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SybilVimes posted:

Yeah, it's essentially a single runway airport, just with different options for common wind directions.

When you want that to expand to 2 runways, you end up with 1950s heathrow:

e:

It should be noted that 9L and 9R are still as they were then, today:

You can even make out the bits of the old runways that are still used as taxiways, but the rest is filled in with parking/gates mostly, and the huge cargo terminal on the west side of the centre.

That old picture would be great to troll ZOG conspiracy believers with.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

BIG HEADLINE posted:

You spelled Sandia "Sadnia." :)

Thanks, fixed.

My approach to copy editing is to enter production and then fix the mistakes. The F-35 is my spirit animal

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Oh for fucks sake, Asiana is at it again.

quote:

Asiana Airlines A320 Skids After Landing at Hiroshima, Japan: Reports
An Asiana Airlines passenger jet skidded after landing at Japan's Hiroshima Airport Tuesday, local media reported.

Local television pictures showed the Airbus A320 resting on the runway with no sign of its landing gear.

Flight OZ162 had arrived from the airline's home base in Seoul, Korea.

The city's fire department said a 46-year-old woman was being treated for head injuries, a 29-year-old woman had a bruised hip and a third non-Japanese passenger was also injured, Asahi Shimbun reported.

Japanese broadcaster NHK said 20 of the 74 passengers on board were injured.

Sparks were seen coming from the aircraft as it skidded on the runway surface, airport workers told the local fire department according to NHK.

Kyodo News said the remaining passengers had been taken from the plane to the airport terminal.

NBC News could not immediately confirm the reports.

On July 2013 an Asiana Boeing 777 crashed short of the runway as it attempted to land at San Francisco International Airport, killing three people.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/asiana-a320-makes-hard-landing-hiroshima-japan-three-hurt-n341201

Normally, a landing gear problem is breaking news while the plane is still in the air, due to the time they spend troubleshooting the problem. Could this be the first ever airliner ooopsie moment? There was a great AvWeb column about some guys almost doing it in a 747 but I don't think it has actually happened to an airliner carrying passengers - yet.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Midjack posted:

That old picture would be great to troll ZOG conspiracy believers with.

Space Jews landing field in Florida: https://goo.gl/maps/gp3ZO

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I get that it's 8 runways but it's ... why :confused:

it just seems like an awful lot of wasted runway no matter how you slice it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Psion posted:

I get that it's 8 runways but it's ... why :confused:

it just seems like an awful lot of wasted runway no matter how you slice it.

Was a WWI vintage training field. Taildraggers, and cloth-covered wooden airplanes, are a bitch to land in a crosswind, and asphalt and labor was cheap, so they made pilot training fields good for all wind directions.