Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Len posted:

To be fair "forced meme" in goon can simply mean "They referenced the internet this one time."

Pretty much. Or people see references they don't know and immediately call it an internet meme. It's also predictably the thing virtually everyone who didn't like the writing complains about, as a shorthand for "I didn't like the writing."

http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Borderlands_2_pop_culture_references

The actual internet memes the game references are buried in a tiny list at the bottom there. And the majority of them are things like challenge names, quest names, and player callouts you will very rarely ever hear. There are virtually no memes in the game's NPC/story dialogue (although there are plenty of other references). If the game's sense of humor wasn't someone's thing then that's fine, but so many people accuse it of referencing memes and it just doesn't make sense.

Broken scaling and drop rates are what drag it down for me, but it was BL2's personality that kept me playing for so long in spite of all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Gestalt Intellect posted:

but it was BL2's personality that kept me playing for so long in spite of all that.
Petty much why I'm still playing it.

That and apparently playing as Zero for 72 hours means I can actually snipe well in other games now.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Heh, those goony goons and their goony ways. I bet they, haha, wear fedoras, and are fat, those goons. Me? Im one of the "good ones".

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Judge Tesla posted:

SA memes are fine to mention though, Goons can't get enough of those (See New Vegas) but those non SA memes, how dare you mentioned memes in my game!

If every word out of Tiny Tinas mouth was "cuck" "goku" "gokus pants" and "i'm gay" GBS would unanimously declare BL2 the best game ever made.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Tiny Tina was Terrible and the Loot Lamentable.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
This is old, but I just got through Black Ops 2 and found it really off-putting to hear Tony Todd as a Navy Admiral calling the villain a cocksucker almost every time he spoke a line. Yeah it's not highbrow entertainment but leaving aside the bizarre bigotry, what Admiral on Earth would say that? Then you have a mission on some floating resort and one of the characters says that he has to get "some hot chick action". It's like Treyarch mapped out their user demographics and decided to fully commit to pandering by letting prepubescent boys do the writing.

Der Luftwaffle has a new favorite as of 01:02 on Apr 13, 2015

Lurkman
Nov 4, 2008

Len posted:

To be fair "forced meme" in goon can simply mean "They referenced the internet this one time."

"Heyo!"

Though at least they really eased back on that one by the time the sequel rolled around.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Tiny Tina was Terrible and the Loot Lamentable.

Magic Missile grenades weren't bad.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Phlegmish posted:

It seems a lot of people dislike the Borderlands series yet can't stop buying the games.

I genuinely liked the first one, but the second one had a ton of problems that added up to it being just unfun, so I haven't bought anything borderlands related since.

Destiny has great shooting, but the RPG elements kind of suck, the world is incredibly lifeless and they decided to do the whole Wildstaresque "no casuals" thing with the raids, which I've been told are the only content that's actually interesting.

Out of all the "Diablo, but with guns" games I've played I think I enjoyed Hellgate: London the most. The game was kind of a disaster though with all the bugs, balance issues and negative PR. The core game play was fun though, and the loot was great. I don't think anyone would blink at their lovely pricing structure if the game came out today.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
Don't starve is a pretty addictive little survival game - with many craftable tiers. It is a roguelike, though, in that you only get 1 life (provided you don't make / find a few extras) and the learning curve of the game can be very steep and unforgiving. There are a lot of situations where not being prepared for an event (ie: darkness setting in, lack of armour when being swarmed, etc..) can impend certain death - especially when you can spend over 4+ hours into the game and still not make it into the upper crating tiers...

... But that's not what drags the game down for me (far from it). For me, it's how the inventory tends to randomly switch your items around in your hotkey slots - so if a torch was in hotkey 1 slot, and I equipped it, it would then be replaced by whatever other item was there, and so forth. Eventually, there can arise some situations where I'm scrambling looking at my inventory slot of "WHERE THE HECK DID I PUT THAT SPEAR" while dodging a pack of enemies, or looking for a healing item when I'm dangerously low on health.

... That, and I wish time would stop when I'm browsing the crafting menu. I still haven't learned all the recipies, and every second I spend browsing what I need is another second less of exploration . eat time.

(As for some roguelikes like Don't Starve and FTL - often they keep a manual save file on your PC someplace. You can save & quit, then make a backup of the save file, so if for some reason you meet an untimely end and don't feel like redoing everything, you can just copy & paste).

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

The Moon Monster posted:

I genuinely liked the first one, but the second one had a ton of problems that added up to it being just unfun, so I haven't bought anything borderlands related since.

Destiny has great shooting, but the RPG elements kind of suck, the world is incredibly lifeless and they decided to do the whole Wildstaresque "no casuals" thing with the raids, which I've been told are the only content that's actually interesting.

Out of all the "Diablo, but with guns" games I've played I think I enjoyed Hellgate: London the most. The game was kind of a disaster though with all the bugs, balance issues and negative PR. The core game play was fun though, and the loot was great. I don't think anyone would blink at their lovely pricing structure if the game came out today.

Yeah I like Destiny overall a lot but if there's one thing I hope the industry takes from it it's that you can do more complex raid-like mechanics in shooters and ideally someone will do that but divorce it from terrible grindy rpg artificial barriers.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Der Luftwaffle posted:

This is old, but I just got through Black Ops 2 and found it really off-putting to hear Tony Todd as a Navy Admiral calling the villain a cocksucker almost every time he spoke a line. Yeah it's not highbrow entertainment but leaving aside the bizarre bigotry, what Admiral on Earth would say that? Then you have a mission on some floating resort and one of the characters says that he has to get "some hot chick action". It's like Treyarch mapped out their user demographics and decided to fully commit to pandering by letting prepubescent boys do the writing.

Yea man, all soldiers speak incredibly proper during high stress/combat situations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Alteisen posted:

Yea man, all soldiers speak incredibly proper during high stress/combat situations.

Why would they have 17,00 terms for you to lean while training just to abandon them when in combat, after all?

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Alteisen posted:

I guess you didn't play the game because none of the situations I was talking about were stressful, unless you grapple daily with the horrors of antiseptically-clean environments and well dressed people.

And it's not about polite speech, it's about the writers failing to grasp the way people actually talk. Battlefield 3 had tons of profanity, but all of it fit.

Der Luftwaffle has a new favorite as of 03:10 on Apr 13, 2015

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
"Hot chick action" definitely sounds like a term a twelve year old would use when writing an adult character.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

I played the first Borderlands and thought it was alright, but from the complaints in this thread it seems like they went out of their way to make it more annoying with the level scaling and forced memes. On the other hand, there's a thin line between annoyance and addiction, I definitely understand the urge to finish a game if you feel like it's mocking you.

The thing dragging the first Borderlands down was the final dungeon and final boss. Some of the worst design I've ever seen in an FPS.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

John Murdoch posted:

Zer0 was there though?
Maybe not the easiest
Melee nontheless

That was nicely done.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

John Murdoch posted:

Zer0 was there though?
Maybe not the easiest
Melee nontheless

Kandak Sayaqa posted:

That was nicely done.

:vince:

I'm gonna chalk this one up to the fact that I haven't played the game in over a year.

I really enjoyed BL1 and 100% the game, but Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot is perhaps the worst and most horribly scaled DLC in the series. After the first round you've seen them all and doing the long challenges for each arena took forever even with a glitched shield. I should have realized this before I bought all the BL2 DLC.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Kandak Sayaqa posted:

That was nicely done.

I don't get it

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

DStecks posted:

I don't get it

Zer0 speaks in haiku

Mechahamster
Oct 9, 2007
Tiny paws of doom
I always thought that the reason Borderlands 2 was so flawed because it wants to be an MMO that forces you to kill the same boss 50 times in a group if you want the good stuff.

Sometimes you just want to crank the difficulty down and mow down dudes using overpowered poo poo. BL2 didn't give you that option even though that game had the potential to be perfect for it.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Rick_Hunter posted:

:vince:

I'm gonna chalk this one up to the fact that I haven't played the game in over a year.

I really enjoyed BL1 and 100% the game, but Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot is perhaps the worst and most horribly scaled DLC in the series. After the first round you've seen them all and doing the long challenges for each arena took forever even with a glitched shield. I should have realized this before I bought all the BL2 DLC.

There's apparently one in Tiny Tina's DLC as well. I just got one shot by a dragon 5 levels below me. I don't think I'm gonna make it through the arena thing anytime soon.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Der Luftwaffle posted:

Clearly you've never interacted with anyone in the Navy, ever. Rank doesn't matter, if it's not in public everyone is a cocksucker motherfucker and a dirty old twat. These are some words in the unofficial official submarine song that gets sung by admirals on down at the semi-public submarine ball every year. In full dress regalia there are high ranking individuals exclaiming "SIXTY NINE ASSHOLES TIED IN A KNOT!"

If anything it's incredibly accurate. Even the "hot chick action" line.

Hell here it is:

submarine song posted:

submarines once submarines twice

holy jumpin' jesus christ

we go up and we go down

we don't even gently caress around

Aoooga Aoooga dive dive dive

ratshit batshit dirty ole twat

69 assholes tied in a knot

cocksucker motherfucker

gobble gobble chew

i'm a submariner who the gently caress are you?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Maxwell Lord posted:

"Hot chick action" definitely sounds like a term a twelve year old would use when writing an adult character.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Hell here it is:
Would not have guessed that the Navy has their unofficial official songs written by Tootleg Boy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A weird thing about Gat Out of Hell is that the progress is tied into how many activities you've done but the thresholds for continuing the story are really low. Almost like the game doesn't expect you to actually want to play it.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

muscles like this? posted:

A weird thing about Gat Out of Hell is that the progress is tied into how many activities you've done but the thresholds for continuing the story are really low. Almost like the game doesn't expect you to actually want to play it.

The game's balance is really weird, even if you take your time and goof around you're going to burn through the actual content long before you finish all the side-missions revolving around upgrading everything and killing certain amounts of enemies, so if you're a completionist or set on getting your money's worth you're gonna be stuck running around in circles blasting through wave after wave of demons for a few hours after you've finished all the missions and activities.

Sleeveless has a new favorite as of 01:40 on Apr 14, 2015

Daedo
May 5, 2002

Sleeveless posted:

The game's balance is really weird, even if you take your time and goof around you're going to burn through the actual content long before you finish all the side-missions revolving around upgrading everything and killing certain amounts of enemies, so if you're a completionist or set on getting your money's worth you're gonna be stuck running around in circles blasting through wave after wave of demons for a few hours after you've finished all the missions and activities.

When I realised this was going to happen, I deliberately left Survival activities uncompleted so that I could use the waves of bad guys to get all the weapon/power challenges done.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

This is actually true of all of the Saints Row games.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Jaramin posted:

This is actually true of all of the Saints Row games.

Absolutely.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Are you complaining that you don't have to do a lot of side missions to do the main mission of a game?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

kazil posted:

Are you complaining that you don't have to do a lot of side missions to do the main mission of a game?

There aren't really any "main missions" in Gat Out of Hell. All there is are side missions.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

poptart_fairy posted:

Sure, actions and words have consequences but I just find it hilarious how ridiculously heavy handed and disproportionate it is next to the other stuff you can do in the game.

I get it though. Video games are mostly made by and for middle class technophiles and the more they try to flesh out their world the clearer you can see that. Truly bad things happen to other people, who aren't so important, and the player tends to have Letters to the Editor sort of moral quandaries where the question is really "what kind of dude do you want to see your character as." it makes sense that a game would punish saying something that would get you in trouble with HR at the game company much harder than doing something that is too monstrous for a guy who has the wherewithal to make videogames to connect with his own experience of life.

I can't really talk poo poo because when game morality gets too close to reality, where being moral really IS disincentivized bigtime, it can be legit stressful. Like Papers Please or that conquistador game, where if you try to do the right thing the game is absolutely willing to go "OK cool, you lose then"

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Mechahamster posted:

I always thought that the reason Borderlands 2 was so flawed because it wants to be an MMO that forces you to kill the same boss 50 times in a group if you want the good stuff.

Sometimes you just want to crank the difficulty down and mow down dudes using overpowered poo poo. BL2 didn't give you that option even though that game had the potential to be perfect for it.

The solution to most of Borderlands 2's problems is to simply fire up cheat engine and raise the drop rates on rare and above gear. It is crazy just how many unique types of weapons are in the game that most people will simply never see since drop rates are so low.

They need to look at how Blizzard fixed Diablo 3. They made it so fun stuff dropped often enough that it felt like you were constantly upgrading, or had options depending on playstyle. While in BL2, I played the gunzerker and used the same fire elemental autoshotgun and slag smg for 1/2 the game, because nothing better ever dropped.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Echoing some other people here, but everything I saw about Borderlands 2 told me I'd be totally into it, but I've never got very far into it without the notion of playing it making me weary. A lot of that has to do with the fact that I hate the moving-makes-you-lose accuracy mechanic; I guess I had the game pegged as less realistic about that sort of stuff and I never quite got over the hump of accepting that mechanic. I just comprehensively dislike it.

Related to a mechanic that happens in a lot of games that bring it down for me: Hunger/thirst mechanic in survival/exploration games. I get why they exist - the genre is called survival, after all - but they never seem tuned to the point where I feel comfortable about exploring further than a bubble near the initial lodgings I either create or am given. The mechanic constantly reminds me of scarcity to the point where all other gameplay is delegated to minimum, if that makes any sense.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Yeah I wanted to like Borderlands in general but the gunplay was pretty unexceptional and I groaned when I leveled up because it meant my guns were now piss weak and I'd need to find something new and :effort:

I knew Watch_ Dogs was going to be bad, particularly as I don't like Assassin's Creed but it still pains me to see how a cool concept got ruined so thoroughly. :smith:

Cuntellectual has a new favorite as of 06:14 on Apr 14, 2015

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Man, Diablo 3's loot system has come on leaps and bounds since release but it's getting irritating now that I'm at the end game and can't go higher in difficulty purely because none of the loot drops are improving my character's skills. :downs:

swamp waste posted:

I can't really talk poo poo because when game morality gets too close to reality, where being moral really IS disincentivized bigtime, it can be legit stressful. Like Papers Please or that conquistador game, where if you try to do the right thing the game is absolutely willing to go "OK cool, you lose then"

Oh don't get me wrong I perfectly understand why people would want this sort of stuff to come up in games, I'm just not convinced that developers such as Bioware handle it with the sort of skill it really needs. Doing everything short of staring at the camera and reciting THIS IS BAD just, to me, reeks as way too heavy handed to be taken seriously - especially in the context of orcs and goblins and dragons. I dunno, Krem was a fantastic character which is why I thought the politics surrounding him felt kinda weird. It was as if Bioware included the guy just so they could make a point rather than have an interesting character.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

swamp waste posted:

Probably my biggest gripe with games that have try to engage morality is how many of them try to make good and evil "balanced". Lots have the ultra-cheap "good guy points for turning down a reward" option, but few deal on a macro level with how doing the right thing usually means a sacrifice, or doing things in a harder way than you could have.

And while we're on the topic, it's far from an original criticism, but it still bears repeating that it's dumb how many games reduce morality into UltraJesus, Pure Neutral, and Snidely Whiplash. I don't think I've ever played a game that meaningfully differentiated between, say, lawful good and chaotic good; or being pragmatically evil vs being psychotically evil. The only one that comes to mind would be Mass Effect, because lawful good -> chaotic good was that game's karma meter.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

DStecks posted:

The only one that comes to mind would be Mass Effect, because lawful good -> chaotic good was that game's karma meter.
Except when it reverted to good guy/bad guy which was half of the time but at least they made a token effort, unlike in 2 and 3 where the renegade paths tend to require you to be Space Hitler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I liked how Alpha Protocol didn't do any moral judgement, it just had story effects and changed your perks and character attitudes. Not reducing it to good/evil let them have more interesting dilemmas.