Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Tyler Freeborn is the best DLC they ever made. It's the story of a supernatural immortal being (you) following in the footsteps of one brave goon in search of The Truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Bauxite posted:

Tyler Freeborn is the best DLC they ever made. It's the story of a supernatural immortal being (you) following in the footsteps of one brave goon in search of The Truth.

I wont argue that the Tyler Freeborn missions were the best they released; however, I feel a little credit should be given to Nassir in Issue 6 and wanting to 'blow the poo poo out of train!'. Nassir has always been one of my favorite NPCs, after Klein.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

HughGRect posted:

I wont argue that the Tyler Freeborn missions were the best they released; however, I feel a little credit should be given to Nassir in Issue 6 and wanting to 'blow the poo poo out of train!'. Nassir has always been one of my favorite NPCs, after Klein.

The Nassir Sayiid interactions in i6 were fantastic and definitely the highlight of it.

I still think 7 holds a nice spot because of just how creepy it is the first go. Shits crazy.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The stuff with John in Issue 10 was good stuff too.

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
I'm a massive fan of issue 8.

Denis
Apr 8, 2015

I stopped playing it long time ago , due to some irl issues . How did it evolved if in 2 words , is it casual or ? Endgame wise , dont want a full review just an opinion of those still playing .

Denis fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 11, 2015

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Denis posted:

I stopped playing it right long time ago , due to some irl issues . How did it evolved if in 2 words , is it casual or ? Endgame wise , dont want a full review just an opinion of those still playing .

Single-Player DLC content is good and worth playing. Sorry it is more than two words.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Frankenstein Dad posted:

I'm a massive fan of issue 8.

Lurking bunkers aside, it also came with the title "International Man of Mystery". Transylvania's by far my favorite region- Besieged Farmlands in particular is wildly underrated.

Denis posted:

I stopped playing it long time ago , due to some irl issues . How did it evolved if in 2 words , is it casual or ? Endgame wise , dont want a full review just an opinion of those still playing .

Suffice it to say, we spend a lot of time in this thread wondering why TSW was a (subscription) MMO.

I mean, we know why, but it's therapeutic, right?

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Honestly TSW always felt to me like they made a great single player horror/mystery RPG and realized at the last minute they had to make it an MMO and add all the MMO bullshit in. Like "Wait, poo poo, poo poo, it's supposed to be an MMO, okay, uhh, kill 10 fish people? Yeah that'll do it, that's perfect."

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The joke about it being the best single-player MMO is spot-on, but really, that's half of the appeal for me. I love MMOs for the multiplayer aspect, but I'm so shy that I have trouble asking for a PUG so I wind up trying to solo everything. Which is almost entirely viable here.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

This would be the perfect MMO if they got rid of all the mobs in the world, especially Blue Mountain. gently caress that place and the dozen things you attract going off the main road. I just need to check out this tree for 3 seconds, dammit! Now I have to spend 20 minutes fighting everything in a 100 foot radius.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I love the story and lore of this game so much, but the combat is so tedious and I'm so bad at it and my last stab at Tokyo was so demoralizing I haven't logged in for months even though there's a lot of new story content I haven't seen yet. :smith:

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Rincewind posted:

I love the story and lore of this game so much, but the combat is so tedious and I'm so bad at it and my last stab at Tokyo was so demoralizing I haven't logged in for months even though there's a lot of new story content I haven't seen yet. :smith:

Yah, Tokyo is more of an exercise of running away from agro than anything. Just when you think you are ok, you happen to agro one of those filth mobs that grab you and pull you back 30 yards in to the mass of mobs running after you... Let alone the shielding issues and losing 3/4 of your health before you realize and change damage types.

On the plus side, it has a very good storyline mission going for it. So if you start playing again and can ninja your way into the mission areas, it's quite worth the effort.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

It'd probably be best to just get a group and run it together, at least in the open world areas.

Burnt Poffin
Oct 10, 2012
I love the look of Tokyo. It's nice to have a modern city setting for a change (after Egypt and Transylvania), as well as what a full-blown Filth infestation really is like.

The problem with the area is that it's such an increased difficulty compared to Transylvania, and the AEGIS system adds new mechanics to deal with. You really need a second disruptor for each shield type, as well as capacitors to increase the percentage of damage that's done to the shields. Not to mention swapping types quickly (I use this to do the switching automatically), which is especially important when dealing with multi-shield bosses. Once you get your AEGIS geared out, it's not too bad, and thanks to Wildstar (which sounds like an odd thing to say), I'm fine with the various telegraph-attacks the enemies in Tokyo like to spam.

I just wish there were more Main missions from the contacts. Even with both i9 and i10, as well as the two sidestories, there isn't a lot of things to do in Kaiden (other than dying repeatedly). The 68-hour cooldown prevents quickie daily repeats like I'd do in Soloman Island.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

jabro posted:

This would be the perfect MMO if they got rid of all the mobs in the world, especially Blue Mountain. gently caress that place and the dozen things you attract going off the main road. I just need to check out this tree for 3 seconds, dammit! Now I have to spend 20 minutes fighting everything in a 100 foot radius.

Basically the problem I have with every MMO nowadays. Blizzard used this as one reason for why they removed flying in the current expansion (people would skip all the exciting combat against a zerg of mobs on the way to quest objectives, the horror!), and we all know people would complain if they didn't have months of gear treadmills to farm and millions of mobs to kill to make every single quest and zone as tedious as possible, but personally I prefer not having to kill something every 30 seconds.

It's especially jarring in TSW, because its strengths are in the story and atmosphere, and in many places the hundreds of mobs get in the way (obviously mobs add to atmosphere if they're in the right place at the right time, but many areas do not have that quality).

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I stopped playing in Tokyo because of the tedium. The zone made me realise that I was enjoying the game for its story in spite of its combat.

(also hated that making your AEGIS better consists of unholy amounts of grind)

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Honestly it's not so bad once you get all the controllers and get them leveled somewhat. It's best to focus on one though just so you can equip higher level capacitors which help a ton. Not great game design still but also not as big a hurdle as people seem to think it is.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Maybe I should just hire somebody to do all the Tokyo combat for me. :v:

The last time I played, it was a few months back and I decided to finally start working on some of the Tokyo side-stories I'd left lying around after the last time I played, a few months before that, when I did that investigation mission where you're trying to find that girl's friends, and what should have been a fun exercise in exploring the nooks and crannies of a really cool-looking new zone turned into a horrific slog because every area you looked at involved long, tedious fights every three yards. In the end, I wound up just looking up all the answers-- not because I couldn't figure out the clues, but because I wanted to minimize the amount of combat I had to get through by just bee-lining from objective to objective. And then I logged out for ten thousand years.

Then, for my next attempt, I picked up a mission from... I think it was Gozen? It's the one where you chase a demon all over the city/through hell portals/etc. I spent like two or three hours dying over and over again trying to get it done, and all my gear broke multiple times from durability damage, and even though eventually I got it it done I sure didn't feel motivated to move on to the next mission. I'm pretty sure this was post-Tokyo nerf, too! It made me wish I was just playing WoW, since even though WoW's story is so stupid I'm kind of personally offended by it, at least I'm good enough at that game to see it without wanting to saw my own head off.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
https://twitter.com/funcom_tsw/status/587986171520684032

I don't get it.

edit: Rince, have you tried grouping up with people to see if that helps? I know TSW is single-player as gently caress but there's probably some people decently geared that'd be willing to help you see the content. I'd help if I wasn't still way back in Kingsmouth despite everything

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

flatluigi posted:

https://twitter.com/funcom_tsw/status/587986171520684032

I don't get it.

edit: Rince, have you tried grouping up with people to see if that helps? I know TSW is single-player as gently caress but there's probably some people decently geared that'd be willing to help you see the content. I'd help if I wasn't still way back in Kingsmouth despite everything

Big rewind? They're going to restart the entire game to get rid of the horrible economy and cheated gear?

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Breaking Wind.

All new issue voiceovers will be replaced by the sound of Joel Bylos farting enthusiastically into a microphone.

Burnt Poffin
Oct 10, 2012
Considering the noises that already come out of zombies, draug, and Inbeda, this might be an improvement. :D

Morglon posted:

Honestly it's not so bad once you get all the controllers and get them leveled somewhat. It's best to focus on one though just so you can equip higher level capacitors which help a ton.

I noticed this over the past weekend. Tokyo was a royal pain at first, but after making sure that before I looted any data xp, I equipped a "favored" disruptor, so that it leveled faster than the other ones. Once it was v1.2, I headed over to the London auction house and picked up a couple of QL2 capacitors and a QL2 module which did extra shield damage upon Affliction (and with Bloodsport, every hit is Affliction). Suddenly, shields were dropping faster, and it became a lot less frustrating.

It does require you to pretty much fight every mob you meet on the way, just to get all that data xp, but every Main mission completed will reward a Biohazard container that could contain several thousand data xp... or it might drop capacitors or modules. Whether it's a version you want, or even a quality you can equip at the moment, is another story.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
https://twitter.com/funcom_tsw/status/590885774037372928

oh boy, leaping whirlwinds

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Reaping whirlwinds? The slayer of souls and patio furniture

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
I for one am looking forward to EAPIN VHIRLV. Honestly any update is good I'm pretty sick of doing the same two or three missions over and over.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
A friend sent me a set of QL10 blue toolkits because I'd been complaining about being undergeared. I thought "I should check the AH for materials while I'm in London." Got back into the AH (I had wandered off to bestow a bit of weirdness on some RPers) and immediately spent all my money on new clothes.

Upside: I'M FABULOUS. :sparkles:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
gently caress grinding for gear to farm gear faster, it's all about looking fabulous :hfive:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Heh, plebs don't own every outfit in the store due to being a lifetime subscriber :smug:

I've spent more on a fake alligator skin suit than I have on any entire actual outfit I own.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
Trying to be a pretty pretty princess kept me playing this game far longer than the content did.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
Playing this again on Cerberus, and starting over because I ant played in a long rear end time and didn't get much beyond Kingsmouth anyway. Any goons on Cerberus ?

Character name is NotTheBees

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

mfny posted:

Playing this again on Cerberus, and starting over because I ant played in a long rear end time and didn't get much beyond Kingsmouth anyway. Any goons on Cerberus ?

Character name is NotTheBees

The server choice only matters for PVP, you can group with anyone, from any faction on any server.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So, some of those deck outfits look nice, and playing dress up is paramount in MMO. When do you actually unlock the outfits?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Fat_Cow posted:

So, some of those deck outfits look nice, and playing dress up is paramount in MMO. When do you actually unlock the outfits?

When you get the 7 active and 7 passive skills in the deck, you can press that "redeem reward" button and it gives it to you.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Illuminati 4 lyfe

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Has anyone had issues with loading Agartha? I keep trying to find some solution and there are a bunch of threads scattered about but I can never find a solution. The loading screen just hangs and eventually the game crashes out. I've verified steam cache and tried repairing the RDB but neither of those have worked.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

I've had that recently with Kaidan, and all I can say is that when I verified the game files (steam) it fixed and downloaded a bunch of stuff.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
coming back to this game after a long time away, anything cool happen lately?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The Tokyo stories are really cool. There's a new one dropping soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

It's a really fun game, I think I came in at a good time - the early areas were rebalanced.

I'm in an Illuminati cabal called Luminar and they're pretty good for pubbies. http://www.luminarcabal.com/ not too serious, not too chaotic. If you're at a loose end and want to run late content or have people to hang out with, they're a good bunch.

• Locked thread