Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Herr Tog posted:

Hey, I'm an idiot that likes gimmick milling decks. Anyone wanna help me make a modern and a pauper mill deck? I already have some stupid ideas.

I run Esper Mill in Modern and it's my favorite deck, though there hasn't been a Modern event at my store in a while so I haven't played it much as of late-

Deck: Esper Mill (Modern)

//Lands
3 Darkslick Shores
2 Flooded Strand
2 Ghost Quarter
1 Godless Shrine
2 Hallowed Fountain
1 Island
3 Marsh Flats
1 Oboro, Palace in the Clouds
1 Plains
2 Polluted Delta
2 Shelldock Isle
1 Swamp
1 Watery Grave

//Spells
4 Archive Trap
4 Breaking // Entering
3 Crypt Incursion
4 Glimpse the Unthinkable
3 Mind Funeral
3 Path to Exile
3 Surgical Extraction
4 Thought Scour
2 Trapmaker's Snare
4 Visions of Beyond

//Creatures
4 Hedron Crab

//Sideboard
2 Disenchant
2 Echoing Truth
2 Engineered Explosives
3 Inquisition of Kozilek
3 Ravenous Trap
2 Stony Silence
1 Surgical Extraction

Display deck statistics

In this form it's like a pseudo-Burn deck; you have more "life" to get through but your mill spells deal more "damage". There's lots of fun tricks you can play, like forcing your opponent to search with Path or Ghost Quarter, or cracking a fetch land in response to attempts to kill your Hedron Crab(s). I even won a match once by Ghost Quartering my own land with a Crab in play and staring down lethal damage. Really fast aggro like Affinity or Infect is tough to beat but it has more game than people think Mill should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Well really you lost to RDW because you're playing UB Control and that matchup is borderline unwinnable. Drowns are still probably a good idea to help you in other matches like Jeskai and any other random aggro decks people might be packing.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

I run Esper Mill in Modern and it's my favorite deck, though there hasn't been a Modern event at my store in a while so I haven't played it much as of late-

Deck: Esper Mill (Modern)

In this form it's like a pseudo-Burn deck; you have more "life" to get through but your mill spells deal more "damage". There's lots of fun tricks you can play, like forcing your opponent to search with Path or Ghost Quarter, or cracking a fetch land in response to attempts to kill your Hedron Crab(s). I even won a match once by Ghost Quartering my own land with a Crab in play and staring down lethal damage. Really fast aggro like Affinity or Infect is tough to beat but it has more game than people think Mill should.

Oh god this looks good. Oh hot drat.

edit: If you had to swap out Glimpse the Unthinkable what would you trade it for? Mind Sculpt?

Herr Tog fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 11, 2015

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Herr Tog posted:

Oh god this looks good. Oh hot drat.

I can't take credit for most of it sadly, I saw it on some Modern PT coverage when I was just getting back into the game and I sat on it until I could afford to build it. The Trapmaker's Snare and SB traps are a newer addition since if you can hit a free Archive Trap you're probably winning, and to tutor a Ravenous up if you mill something like an Eldrazi titan (my dream line of play is to exile Breaking//Entering under a Shelldock, then use it to cast the Entering side in response to a mill'd Emrakul)

It used to feast on Pod until that deck was banned, but it was also pretty happy to see allied fetches become Modern-legal so it's a wash (also so I didn't have to buy $60 Tarns or Mistys for blue-fetching). It does however make me wish other Esper or even UWx decks were more viable in Modern so I could use that manabase to experiment. Also, if you miss Treasure Cruise this deck has a perfectly-legal way of drawing three for U after turn 3 or 4 :haw:

Herr Tog posted:

edit: If you had to swap out Glimpse the Unthinkable what would you trade it for? Mind Sculpt?

That's probably your best choice, Glimpse is definitely the biggest hurdle to making the deck and should not cost nearly as much as it does (and I say this as someone who bought them when they were $25+). Tome Scour or Dream Twist might not be bad choices either if you want more turn 1 plays. I might even say to go up to four Trapmaker's Snares and really go hard at making sure you hit free Archive Traps. Maybe Pilfered Plans or Psychic Drain too, which net you cards or life while also milling. Snapcaster is also a spicy inclusion if you're a high-roller, but then why not just sell the Snapcasters to buy the Glimpses?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 11, 2015

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

I can't take credit for most of it sadly, I saw it on some Modern PT coverage when I was just getting back into the game and I sat on it until I could afford to build it. The Trapmaker's Snare and SB traps are a newer addition since if you can hit a free Archive Trap you're probably winning, and to tutor a Ravenous up if you mill something like an Eldrazi titan (my dream line of play is to exile Breaking//Entering under a Shelldock, then use it to cast the Entering side in response to a mill'd Emrakul)

It used to feast on Pod until that deck was banned, but it was also pretty happy to see allied fetches become Modern-legal so it's a wash (also so I didn't have to buy $60 Tarns or Mistys for blue-fetching). It does however make me wish other Esper or even UWx decks were more viable in Modern so I could use that manabase to experiment. Also, if you miss Treasure Cruise this deck has a perfectly-legal way of drawing three for U after turn 3 or 4 :haw:

I don't know what half the poo poo you said is but these parts make me very happy.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Still playing Bw Warriors. Got a buy r1 at fnm. Proceeded to go 4-0, losing only a single game along the way. Won my top 8 match and then we split in top 4 because it was late, so 5-0 (6-0 including the buy) for the night. Deck is still real fun, real aggressive. The $1 worth of additions from dtk made the deck even better, all the creatures are fun value creatures. Catching people off guard with bloodsoaked champ is great as well. Swung at a control player then tried to cast second main, he nullifies trying to buy time. That's cool, gonna raid him back after that resolves. Glad I just kept playing this and spending my money on legacy cards and drafts.

http://deckbox.org/sets/878022

Fingers McLongDong fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Apr 12, 2015

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Still playing Bw Warriors. Got a buy r1 at fnm. Proceeded to go 4-0, losing only a single game along the way. Won my top 8 match and then we split in top 4 because it was late, so 5-0 (6-0 including the buy) for the night. Deck is still real fun, real aggressive. The $1 worth of additions from dtk made the deck even better, all the creatures are fun value creatures. Catching people off guard with bloodsoaked champ is great as well. Swung at a control player then tried to cast second main, he nullifies trying to buy time. That's cool, gonna raid him back after that resolves. Glad I just kept playing this and spending my money on legacy cards and drafts.

http://deckbox.org/sets/878022

This is good to hear, and I think it may get better over time. It loses little in rotation, and there's bound to be suitable removal to slot in place. Zendikar may bring good vampire warriors too.

I'm currious about some of the numbers though, Rager isn't a 4-of?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

BizarroAzrael posted:

This is good to hear, and I think it may get better over time. It loses little in rotation, and there's bound to be suitable removal to slot in place. Zendikar may bring good vampire warriors too.

I'm currious about some of the numbers though, Rager isn't a 4-of?

I did a 3/3 split between rager and brawler because I originally ran 3 mogis marauder and it seemed like an even swap. After all the games I've played though, I'm going to cut 1 brawler for a 4th rager. Once people figure out how good they are, they become huge targets. They also give solid value on a more consistent basis. Easily the best new addition to the deck.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I did a 3/3 split between rager and brawler because I originally ran 3 mogis marauder and it seemed like an even swap. After all the games I've played though, I'm going to cut 1 brawler for a 4th rager. Once people figure out how good they are, they become huge targets. They also give solid value on a more consistent basis. Easily the best new addition to the deck.

Easily, it makes the difference between a futile attack and being able to turn em all sidways, you get to attack with less compromising your board state.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah, I ran a gauntlet on my friend's warrior deck and it was very awkward to stabilize through Rager. Arashin Foremost was also pretty strong.

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account
Building on my Anafenza Waifu deck which is G/W Aggro. I've redone it to where it's still G/W with a bit of Devotion added. Using Karametra's Acolytes to help cast Genesis Hydra for a huge amount guaranteeing another creature to put into play. As well as getting huge creature to block or attack with. Then kickstarting the Enduring Scalelord infinite combo with Anafenza in play. Went 3-2 in my last FNM my only losses were to Abzan Control and RDW. loving Abzan Charm and Dromoka's Commands hurt this deck bad. The RDW loss was due to him being just a bit too fast and better creature removal with him killing my Elvish Mystics and Anafenza as soon she hit the board. I need to find some Dromoka's Commands and a Nykthos or two.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/anafenza-waifu/

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yeah, I ran a gauntlet on my friend's warrior deck and it was very awkward to stabilize through Rager. Arashin Foremost was also pretty strong.

Foremost is amazing and I feel like I should run 4, but I don't want to commit like that until I play a game where I actually draw my Fanatics and see how they stack up.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
So I totally blanked on the fact that Gameday is next weekend and I might be able to actually attend. However, I don't think I've been to a Standard event since FRF first dropped so my list is fairly old. What should I grab to update this list?

Deck: RDW (FRF)

//Lands
18 Mountain

//Spells
2 Crowd's Favor
4 Dragon Mantle
4 Hammerhand
2 Hordeling Outburst
4 Lightning Strike
4 Stoke the Flames
4 Titan's Strength

//Creatures
4 Akroan Crusader
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Foundry Street Denizen
2 Goblin Heelcutter
4 Monastery Swiftspear

//Sideboard
2 Break Through the Line
3 Harness by Force
1 Hordeling Outburst
1 Magma Spray
3 Scouring Sands
4 Searing Blood
1 Wild Slash

Display deck statistics

I was thinking Roasts, Tarkir2 Zurgo, and maybe Dragon Fodder since I have a few copies laying around somewhere?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

C-Euro posted:

So I totally blanked on the fact that Gameday is next weekend and I might be able to actually attend. However, I don't think I've been to a Standard event since FRF first dropped so my list is fairly old. What should I grab to update this list?

---

I was thinking Roasts, Tarkir2 Zurgo, and maybe Dragon Fodder since I have a few copies laying around somewhere?

You'll want a bunch of Roast copies just to deal with the inevitable Coursers, Rhinos, and copies of Polukranos. You may want to try and remove the Firedrinkers in case other decks are packing Roast, too.

EDIT: I'm also a big fan of Twinbolt over Scouring Sands.

bhsman fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 12, 2015

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

Swiftspear and dragonfodder would be solid addition

I still have a question about your mill deck~

Herr Tog posted:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

bhsman posted:

You'll want a bunch of Roast copies just to deal with the inevitable Coursers, Rhinos, and copies of Polukranos. You may want to try and remove the Firedrinkers in case other decks are packing Roast, too.

EDIT: I'm also a big fan of Twinbolt over Scouring Sands.

Just remembered that I have a few Rabblemasters lying around too, that's fast enough for RDW right? And is Zurgo easy enough to kill that I should be packing four, or can I get away with fewer copies?

Herr Tog posted:

I still have a question about your mill deck~

I edited it into one of my previous posts on the matter, sorry-

C-Euro posted:

That's probably your best choice, Glimpse is definitely the biggest hurdle to making the deck and should not cost nearly as much as it does (and I say this as someone who bought them when they were $25+). Tome Scour or Dream Twist might not be bad choices either if you want more turn 1 plays. I might even say to go up to four Trapmaker's Snares and really go hard at making sure you hit free Archive Traps. Maybe Pilfered Plans or Psychic Drain too, which net you cards or life while also milling. Snapcaster is also a spicy inclusion if you're a high-roller, but then why not just sell the Snapcasters to buy the Glimpses?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

C-Euro posted:

Just remembered that I have a few Rabblemasters lying around too, that's fast enough for RDW right? And is Zurgo easy enough to kill that I should be packing four, or can I get away with fewer copies?

Here is what I'm currently running, which I've had some success with lately (3 4-1 FNM finishes the past 3 weeks). If you don't have 4x Rabblemasters, you could get away with running more copies of Mardu Scout or Frenzied Goblin.

As for Zurgo, I'm feeling that the best combination of him and Lightning Berserker is a 3:1 ratio of Zurgo to Berserker, though I only have 2 copies of Zurgo so I had to tweak it.

EDIT: I actually had some random person (goon?) ask about the deck and I went into more detail on some of the card choices like Twin Bolt > Scouring Sands and the like.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

I edited it into one of my previous posts on the matter, sorry-

This is a wonderful and succinct answer that I am sorry I missed. I think four traps and then some dream twists so I can still mill when there is nothing in my hand.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Elspeth tweak report (from a few pages back):

Objective: Even out the decks to make them a better match.

Findings:

- Valorous Stance is too powerful. Kiora's only answer is Plasm Capture and its ROI in this exchange is terrible.
- Gods Willing is great. It's cheap, buys time without radically altering the board, and frankly helps more with draw than the plainscycling cards. Also protects helps your Banisher Priest stick, which makes it a much better singleton. Similarly, Ephemeral Shields buys time and convoke works well with all your white Soldier tokens.
- Godsend is loving crazy man, but it's also great for this deck. Elspeth doesn't have many big beefy guys, so Kiora can definitely let the attack go through in many situations. The fact that this is an artifact also means that big bounce (eg Scourge of Fleets, Whelming Wave, Ætherize) doesn't demolish Elspeth. Godsend allows you to recover much more quickly, even though it's a little costly. It also means Kiora's targeted bounce (Man-o'-War, Peel from Reality) plays an important role, whereas before it was basically win-more filler. Lots of interesting decisions happening around Godsend. Although Kiorra has no way to destroy it directly (aside from the singleton counter Plasm Capture), her bounce works just fine. The Elspeth deck is comparatively lean on mana and paying 3 every time something bounces definitely isn't easy.
- The Icatian Javelineers predictably do jack poo poo against 7/11 leviathans, 10/10 octopuses, etc etc. I think Wizards just wanted to reprint them. That's why they're in the Elspeth deck. I can think of no other reason. I substituted Bar the Door and Swords to Plowshares for ~*flavor*~

Conclusion:

If you're going to buy these decks, you should really drop an extra $4-5 on a Godsend. The Gust soldiers are perfectly useless and I don't really know what the designers were thinking. You can drop them for protection/invuln instants as desired.

Marx Headroom fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 13, 2015

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Godsend gets nice and wonky with the gustcloak creatures too.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Sup guys. I just got back into MtG a few weeks back. Sniped a sweet auction on Ebay with (what TCGplayer.com touted as) $500 of cards for less than $200. I supplemented it with some more cards from here and there, plus some old cards that I had sitting around. I've netdecked some stuff, and I think midrange is what I want to play. I played some green/red aggro back around the invasion block, when kicker and fading were a pretty sweet way to get beefy guys out fairly quickly and easily. Ended up transforming that into a lesser green/white deck because most of the reds were on loan. So abzan midrange is what I settled on. I've played a couple of varieties of this deck on the last two FNM's. I'm gonna ask here, what do you guys think my best bet would be, considering my trove? I've got enough cards for aggro, midrange, or control--I think. What I came up against were some white heroic decks, red white burn, an attack formation/big booty bitches g/w deck, and some various devotion decks. I wanna crush errybody. That being said, I'm gonna list what I have here and ask what you guys think I should put together. Feel free to add stuff to get or whatever.

4x Rakshasa Deathdealer
3x Boon Satyr
4x Wingmate Roc
3x Brimaz, Guardian of Oreskos
4x Fleecemane Lion
2x Tasigur
4x Elvish Mystic
4x Sylvan Caryatid
3x Anafenza, the Foremost
4x Courser of Kruphix
4x Siege Rhino

4x Temple of Plenty
4x Llanowar Wastes
4x Temple of Silence
4x Caves of Koilos
4x Windswept Heath
4x Temple of Malady

3x Sorin, Solemn Visitor
3x Elspeth
1x Liliana Vess
3x Ajani, Mentor of Heroes

4x Drown in Sorrow
4x Thoughtseize
4x Dromoka's Command
4x Bile Blight
1x Mass Calcify
1x End Hostilities
1x Duneblast
4x Hero's Downfall
4x Utter End
4x Abzan Charm

Would this set of cards be best suited toward aggro/midrange/control? Which would you guys recommend putting together? I've pretty much just looked at the top abzan decks and tried to get what I could from there. Any help, pointers, criticism, etc. would be much appreciated. I'd rather have advice from goons and a little explanation why than just netdecking blindly. I've also watched some videos of people playing, but I'm not quite sure when to get aggressive and when to hold back and try to control the field so far.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Didn't see a dedicated pauper thread, so -

Running this pile of durdles I saw on puremtgo. Going to be making hella cuts, mainly putting some Delve cards in place in some of the less powerful stuff, and maybe some other nonsense topend nonsense to flip with the Emissary manifests.

Also need to figure out a sideboard, not sure what the MTGO meta is like these days on MODO, guess I should research it.

4x Cloudfin Raptor
4x Viscera Seer
4x Dregscape Zombie
4x Sultai Emissary
4x Perilous Myr
4x Man-o'-War
4x Stormbound Geist
4x Viscera Dragger
4x Mulldrifter

4x Undying Evil

4x Dismal Backwater, 8 swamp 8 island

Any recommendations? Haven't played pauper in a few years

wiskibubbles
Nov 1, 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Well really you lost to RDW because you're playing UB Control and that matchup is borderline unwinnable. Drowns are still probably a good idea to help you in other matches like Jeskai and any other random aggro decks people might be packing.

I played a few games today against my own RDW. I had a buddy Pilot the list for me. I lost game one but turned around to win the set. I played the games with drowns and Virulent Plague They both work allowed me to win the sets but it is a hard matchup and I'm trying to figure out which card is better in the board against RDW and not hindering me against other decks. I think both cards have merit but Drown in Sorrow seams to be a good cards against the G/W Mastery of the Unseen Deck But I'm unsure still

wiskibubbles
Nov 1, 2013
So I Figured I'd start using the Rhinos's and some of the other Abzan cards that have been sitting in a stack of cards I've been holding on to for a while and looked at making a a Abzan Whip deck. I showed it to one of the better players at the college I go to and He coined it Junk Whip. What do you guys think of the list I'm running

Deck: Untitled Deck

//Main
4 Sandsteppe Citadel
1 Utter End
4 Windswept Heath
3 Frontier Siege
4 Siege Rhino
3 Sidisi, Undead Vizier
3 Hero's Downfall
4 Wingmate Roc
4 Temple of Malady
1 Murderous Cut
4 Llanowar Wastes
2 Foe-Razer Regent
4 Courser of Kruphix
2 Forest
3 Sylvan Caryatid
1 Crux of Fate
3 Hornet Queen
1 End Hostilities
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
3 Whip of Erebos
2 Swamp
2 Plains
1 Caves of Koilos

//Sideboard
2 Utter End
1 Hero's Downfall
2 Sorin, Solemn Visitor
2 Bile Blight
1 Whip of Erebos
2 Ultimate Price
2 Abzan Charm
1 Foe-Razer Regent
2 Murderous Cut

Display deck statistics

I'm wondering if the list is worth since I'm short a few cards for it and seeing if its something to pick up. Any help with the list will be appreciated

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
So it looks like UWx Heroic decks might be dead in the water, but I'm still taking it to gameday because it's the only thing I have that's reasonably competitive. Jeskai Heroic seems like the most explosive but the mana is very painful, so I don't know if running Temur Battle Rage is worth running 6 painlands given that a lot of red aggro is likely to show up. I've got this built:

I'm thinking some sideboard changes are required here, I want to add in 4x Encase in Ice since a lot of the time it will only cost 1 and help push damage through, I'm going to for sure cut the Temple (still can't figure out what it's for), the Glare, and the Cloudforms. Beyond that, more Trailblazers might be nice but I'm not sure what else needs cutting.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

BXCX posted:

So it looks like UWx Heroic decks might be dead in the water, but I'm still taking it to gameday because it's the only thing I have that's reasonably competitive. Jeskai Heroic seems like the most explosive but the mana is very painful, so I don't know if running Temur Battle Rage is worth running 6 painlands given that a lot of red aggro is likely to show up. I've got this built:

I'm thinking some sideboard changes are required here, I want to add in 4x Encase in Ice since a lot of the time it will only cost 1 and help push damage through, I'm going to for sure cut the Temple (still can't figure out what it's for), the Glare, and the Cloudforms. Beyond that, more Trailblazers might be nice but I'm not sure what else needs cutting.

You should play Tom Ross's Bant Heroic.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah all four modes of Dromoka's Command have specific synergy with the deck (and it's a strong spell in the first place), it's bonkers in UW Heroic.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Does the Command target the Heroic creatures twice if you use it as a Hunt the Weak?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Nah the wording of Heroic means you can only get one trigger per spell.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
How important are the Monastery Mentors in the sideboard? I was on the fence about that build because I don't have those or the full playset of Commands, but I'm halfway there now and can probably borrow two Mentors if I need to. What is the Temple in the sideboard for? Matchups where the life from Mana Confluence matters?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Is Torpor Orb good enough to maindeck in modern these days between Snapcaster, Twin and Rhino?

If so, I was just thinking about how well the Hunted creatures (Hunted Horror specifically) combine with Varolz. Other nice synergistic and powerful cards include Death's Shadow, Lotleth Troll, Fauna Shaman, Sheltering Ancient, Pharika and Eater of Days. Is this worth trying out? I swear I'm as bad as Travis...

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Confirming dromokas command is bonkers with heroic. I had it used against me a lot on sunday, opponent would often put a counter on a heroic creature, trigger seeker of the way prowess, have seeker fight my smaller guys, gain life, basically spread out the value to maximum effeciency. Temur battle rage is a cool addition too but I think you get more consistent value with the command.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

GoutPatrol posted:

Does the Command target the Heroic creatures twice if you use it as a Hunt the Weak?

No, but it can trigger two different heroic creatures.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's also very strong against mono-red, which is otherwise a really rough matchup.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
Alright then, looks like it's time to go on the hunt for some commands. There's a SCG premium article here that I can't read, but it looks like there's some discussion about throwing in Become Immense in the comments which sounds pretty interesting, I may bug a buddy with premium to grab the decklist for me so I can take a look.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Modern Night has switched to Tuesday at my LGS, and I thought for that for the first time I would try something sweet.

Land (17)
2x Blackcleave Cliffs
1x Blood Crypt
2x Bloodstained Mire
1x Breeding Pool
2x Copperline Gorge
1x Forest
1x Steam Vents
1x Stomping Ground
1x Swamp
1x Watery Grave
4x Wooded Foothills

Creature (29)
3x Architects of Will
4x Deadshot Minotaur
3x Deceiver Exarch
4x Fulminator Mage
4x Monstrous Carabid
3x Pestermite
4x Simian Spirit Guide
4x Street Wraith

Instant (4)
4x Violent Outburst

Enchantment (4)
4x Splinter Twin

Sorcery (6)
3x Demonic Dread
3x Living End

Sideboard
2x Faerie Macabre
3x Gnaw to the Bone
3x Ingot Chewer
1x Ricochet Trap
4x Shriekmaw
2x Slaughter Games

From what I've seen at FNM, the most common decks to watch out for are Scapeshift and Infect. Four out of our 15 or so regulars play scapeshift, so I decided to stick with four maindeck fulminators rather than going deeper with the splinter twin combo. The Shriekmaw's are to combat infect, really just my best assurance of getting to turn three alive and ready to board wipe. The rest of the sideboard is relatively easy to explain: Faeries for the potential mirror and to get rid of problematic cards I'd rather not living end (I'm looking at you, Gifts), Gnaw for Burn and possibly Aggro, Ingot Chewer for Affinity and to shore up against boarded in hate like relic, Trap for control, and Slaughter Games for combo.

Any thoughts on my decisions, sideboard or otherwise? I think this thing is a literal pile of two decks jammed together, but it looks fun and we'll see how it goes.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Have you seen LSV's videos? He does really well with it, Living End seems to be good against most things that Twin is bad against and vice-versa. Plus LEing Kiki and Exarch back is always nice.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

gonadic io posted:

Have you seen LSV's videos? He does really well with it, Living End seems to be good against most things that Twin is bad against and vice-versa. Plus LEing Kiki and Exarch back is always nice.

I have seen it, the issue that I see with the Kiki + Pestermite/Exarch dream is that it requires a lot to have gone wrong already. The deck doesnt have a way of pitching those creatures to the graveyard, so to have them come back would mean already having played out that part of the combo. And while that is a nice backup, I think focusing on either a better living end activation or a successful splinter twin is a better plan. Also, who doesnt love the idea of Splintertwin attached to a Fulminator Mage? You know what that is? A Combo.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Deofuta posted:

Also, who doesnt love the idea of Splintertwin attached to a Fulminator Mage? You know what that is? A Combo.

It's a good thing that in real life you can't misclick and accidentally use the sac ability of that Fulminator rather than the clone one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

gonadic io posted:

Is Torpor Orb good enough to maindeck in modern these days between Snapcaster, Twin and Rhino?

Torpor Orb might be good enough if your deck is willing have to a do-nothing and don't mind not playing etb creatures of your own, but it's sketchy as best. First off, spending a card to prevent Siege Rhinos from draining you is absolutely not where you want to be against the Rhino decks, who will happily play their 4/5 tramples for 4 and 3/2 Persists for 3 and so forth and beat you down with them anyway. It's better against Snapcaster, but it's not worth a card and two mana to potentially deny the opponent a card in general. Against Twin and Amulet combo it's better, but it's not hard for Twin to win through a Torpor Orb; they can either bounce it with Cryptic or just go with the tempo plan. Amulet can still club you to death with a turn 3-4 6/6 trampler or whatever.

Not only that, what deck are you putting Torpor Orb in? The only good decks I can think of offhand without a pile of ETB creatures are Burn, Infect, and Affinity, and those decks don't want cards that don't help them count to 10/20. I guess maybe you could stick 1 or 2 in an affinity sideboard since you can sac them to a ravager and they still power up your platings.

• Locked thread