Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

Krinkle posted:

The conceit of all of those comedies is that they're being filmed for a reality show so they have testimonials. How do you film a reality show about a murderer who goes to his day job afterwards?

I mean the Jinx tried it but their star got arrested the instant episode 5 dropped, so it's unlikely they'll get a second season.

I'm pretty sure that is exactly what the Deadpool movie is gonna be like, except murdering IS his day job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Krinkle posted:

The conceit of all of those comedies is that they're being filmed for a reality show so they have testimonials.

Only some of them. And even then, that's often the only bit that's in any way like a reality show, the rest of it is filmed like a normal sit-com. In a lot of cases it's not actually supposed to make sense, they just use the "reality show talking-to-camera style" because the audience is familiar with it and instantly knows what's going on, just like the more common way used to be to have the protagonist turn to address the camera while the other characters either froze or had their audio muted, because that was the most convenient way to indicate "this is an aside to you, the audience, not something that's actually happening in the reality of the show".

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tiggum posted:

Only some of them. And even then, that's often the only bit that's in any way like a reality show, the rest of it is filmed like a normal sit-com. In a lot of cases it's not actually supposed to make sense, they just use the "reality show talking-to-camera style" because the audience is familiar with it and instantly knows what's going on, just like the more common way used to be to have the protagonist turn to address the camera while the other characters either froze or had their audio muted, because that was the most convenient way to indicate "this is an aside to you, the audience, not something that's actually happening in the reality of the show".

You've just become too desensitized to modern comedy styles. The Office or Park & Recreation absolutely are filmed in a "reality show" style as opposed to more conventional sitcoms like Seinfeld or Friends. The Office in particular relies very very heavily on "This is so awkward" as a form of humor, which is meant to feel like a reality show going off the rails more than just a scripted sitcom joke. Its true that the sitcom camera addressing thing is used to effect like a soliloquy, but it definitely came from being a reality show element knockoff first.

I actually like that House of Cards does the full on 'turn to look at camera while other actors on stage freeze' thing, as opposed to just overdubbing monologues or reality show cut-aways like some shows do.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I was watching Daredevil on Netflix and I noticed they do something that A LOT of other TV shows and movies do:

Why are churches always empty?? Its always one priest working there, with nobody else around, and the protagonist comes and sits in a pew all alone and talks to the priest. I just can't believe that churches are empty like that all the time.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Rurea posted:

I was watching Daredevil on Netflix and I noticed they do something that A LOT of other TV shows and movies do:

Why are churches always empty?? Its always one priest working there, with nobody else around, and the protagonist comes and sits in a pew all alone and talks to the priest. I just can't believe that churches are empty like that all the time.

A lot of churches are totally empty during off hours / non-holy days. I take a music class at a local Methodist place that's at 6:30 pm on a Monday. The basement has some homeless shelter stuff going on but the actual chapel is usually dead empty.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Zaphod42 posted:

The Office in particular relies very very heavily on "This is so awkward" as a form of humor, which is meant to feel like a reality show going off the rails more than just a scripted sitcom joke.

That's pretty weak though, it's not like reality shows invented cringe comedy.

Reality shows helped popularize it, but I think the sitcom camera-addressing thing originated from mockumentaries. For example, The Games came out before the big reality show craze, but used interviews in much the same way as Parks & Rec et al.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

That's pretty weak though, it's not like reality shows invented cringe comedy.

Reality shows helped popularize it, but I think the sitcom camera-addressing thing originated from mockumentaries. For example, The Games came out before the big reality show craze, but used interviews in much the same way as Parks & Rec et al.

Mokumentaries are the original reality shows, though :cheeky:

You're right though; they did the same thing in A Mighty Wind and Spinal Tap and Waiting for Guffman and Best in Show long before The Office started doing it.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

Zaphod42 posted:

Mokumentaries are the original reality shows, though :cheeky:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
One trope I've been noticing that I just think is silly: sad guys going to bars and intentionally picking fights with guys who will beat the poo poo out of them so they can "feel something." This happened on Bloodline and a recent episode of Shameless, as well as Six Feet Under after Nate's wife died. Is this a thing anyone does in real life ever?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
We do, but 1: We don't talk about it, and 2: we do not talk about it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Blast Fantasto posted:

A lot of churches are totally empty during off hours / non-holy days. I take a music class at a local Methodist place that's at 6:30 pm on a Monday. The basement has some homeless shelter stuff going on but the actual chapel is usually dead empty.

Yeah, growing up Catholic unless it was mass there wasn't anyone in the main church area. Anything that was going on would be in attached buildings that were more general purpose rooms.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Android Bicyclist posted:

We do, but 1: We don't talk about it, and 2: we do not talk about it.

Goddammit Bob how many times do we have to tell you

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Rurea posted:

To pile on to this, I would also think a guy like Daredevil would want to go when no one else was around. Showing him going to the church, finding out there's a ton of people there and going "welp I'll come back later" is boring so they don't show it.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

MindlessHavok posted:

To pile on to this, I would also think a guy like Daredevil would want to go when no one else was around. Showing him going to the church, finding out there's a ton of people there and going "welp I'll come back later" is boring awesome so they don't show it.
you're onto something here.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

You've just become too desensitized to modern comedy styles. The Office or Park & Recreation absolutely are filmed in a "reality show" style as opposed to more conventional sitcoms like Seinfeld or Friends. The Office in particular relies very very heavily on "This is so awkward" as a form of humor, which is meant to feel like a reality show going off the rails more than just a scripted sitcom joke. Its true that the sitcom camera addressing thing is used to effect like a soliloquy, but it definitely came from being a reality show element knockoff first.

I actually like that House of Cards does the full on 'turn to look at camera while other actors on stage freeze' thing, as opposed to just overdubbing monologues or reality show cut-aways like some shows do.

House of cards is a sequel to Malcolm in the Middle right?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rurea posted:

Outside of mass and poo poo churches are usually used for scouts and band pratice so realistically a dude would go to a church to pray and in the background you'd hear 15 year olds playing terribly.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Zaphod42 posted:

I've never seen House of Cards, does Kevin Spacey ever call "time out" like Zach Morris?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Coffee And Pie posted:

I've never seen House of Cards, does Kevin Spacey ever call "time out" like Zach Morris?

Does anyone else but me remember Out of This World where the main character touched her fingers together and could stop time and then would monologue?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Zaphod42 posted:

I don't have much to add, but I agree with the person who said the style those shows are aping isn't reality TV, it's mockumentaries. I like the soliloquy being adapted for TV, and I will agree with you that the directly addressing the camera thing that House of Cards does is the best style for dramas. Until some other way we can't even conceive of is invented!

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

cheerfullydrab posted:

I don't have much to add, but I agree with the person who said the style those shows are aping isn't reality TV, it's mockumentaries. I like the soliloquy being adapted for TV, and I will agree with you that the directly addressing the camera thing that House of Cards does is the best style for dramas. Until some other way we can't even conceive of is invented!

Like subtext being beamed directly into my mind while I watch the obvious elements unfold on the screen!

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

MindlessHavok posted:

Does anyone else but me remember Out of This World where the main character touched her fingers together and could stop time and then would monologue?

I watched one episode of that show and then moved overseas and it was cancelled by the time I moved back so kind of not really. And I might be thinking of small wonder because same deal.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Henchman of Santa posted:

One trope I've been noticing that I just think is silly: sad guys going to bars and intentionally picking fights with guys who will beat the poo poo out of them so they can "feel something." This happened on Bloodline and a recent episode of Shameless, as well as Six Feet Under after Nate's wife died. Is this a thing anyone does in real life ever?

Hank from Breaking Bad this too.

In the Grand Budapest Hotel the prison Gustavo is being held in is guarded by fences, barbed wire and a moat filled with crocodiles. The prison is high in the mountains and there is snow everywhere the cold blooded crocodiles would freeze to death.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Hank from Breaking Bad this too.
I have no memory of that whatsoever. When does that happen?

quote:

In the Grand Budapest Hotel the prison Gustavo is being held in is guarded by fences, barbed wire and a moat filled with crocodiles. The prison is high in the mountains and there is snow everywhere the cold blooded crocodiles would freeze to death.
I want to yell at you for being irritated at a Wes Anderson movie being goofy but that's also the point of this thread.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In Furious 7 Iggy Azalea shows up for one line. Why?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

muscles like this? posted:

That reminds me, she got mentioned near the beginning of Kingsman: Secret Service and I spent the entire movie expecting her to show up for a dumb gag at some point and she never did. Man. Kingsman was a great movie.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

In fact, I'm irrationally irritated it's not available on blu-ray yet.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

HairyManling posted:

Like subtext being beamed directly into my mind while I watch the obvious elements unfold on the screen!

Maybe a news ticker showing someone's internal thoughts and feelings quickly scrolling by on the bottom when a character is on screen, mundane fake details about a setting when nobody is being shown by the camera?

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Furious 7 has this stupid scene where they're breaking into the security system in a billionaire saudi princes penthouse security system and the designated tech guy is going on about the wiring being cat5e like it's some mystical bullshit. Ignoring all the other issues with that scene, why the gently caress would a billionaire cheap out and get his multi-million dollar penthouse wired with cat5e to save $50 over using cat6?

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

The Saudi prince probably does not know or care about the difference, and delegated that part of the construction to a guy he told "I want good internet." That guy probably then took the cash he was given and cheaped out with cat5e and pocketed the difference.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
It's a Fast and Furious movie. Any criticisms you make about it no matter how legitimate makes you look stupid.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

My Lovely Horse posted:

Someone's never heard of Man Bites Dog.

Okay it took some time to track down but now I've seen it and here's my irritating moment. When he's banging people's heads into sinks and walls why don't they do like the most basic Foley work and add sounds later so it's not obviously someone pantomiming being murdered?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Krinkle posted:

Okay it took some time to track down but now I've seen it and here's my irritating moment. When he's banging people's heads into sinks and walls why don't they do like the most basic Foley work and add sounds later so it's not obviously someone pantomiming being murdered?

Because they made the movie for 200 francs and a pack of Gauloises.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

MindlessHavok posted:

Oh my god, I've been trying to remember the name of this show for the longest time.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rita Ora's in 6 for about a minute too.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Nth Doctor posted:

Oh my god, I've been trying to remember the name of this show for the longest time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2UkZzdyD0A

Burt Reynolds was the voice was of the absent alien dad. Deadbeat.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

I have no memory of that whatsoever. When does that happen?

I forget which episode exactly but its part of that whole character arc where Hank is feeling really worthless as an agent. He goes into some really seedy looking bar and intentionally picks a fight with some guy and then pulls his badge and either storms out or arrests the guy, its been awhile. But he definitely goes into a bar and picks a fight at some point.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Blast Fantasto posted:

Yeah, growing up Catholic unless it was mass there wasn't anyone in the main church area. Anything that was going on would be in attached buildings that were more general purpose rooms.

MindlessHavok posted:

To pile on to this, I would also think a guy like Daredevil would want to go when no one else was around. Showing him going to the church, finding out there's a ton of people there and going "welp I'll come back later" is boring so they don't show it.
Welp that shows how much I know about churches!

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

I forget which episode exactly but its part of that whole character arc where Hank is feeling really worthless as an agent. He goes into some really seedy looking bar and intentionally picks a fight with some guy and then pulls his badge and either storms out or arrests the guy, its been awhile. But he definitely goes into a bar and picks a fight at some point.

Yeah, he basically takes his partner to the seediest bar in town, notes how couple of guys are holding drugs to which his partner replies along the lines of "In this bar the bartender is probably holding, let's get the gently caress out of here."

They leave, he goes back, starts a fight and arrests them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
That's not really what I'm complaining about though. I'm thinking of "My life is in shambles but I can't literally beat myself up so I'm gonna get wasted and have some dude punch me in the face."