Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Loaded some Kodak sheet film for the first time today.
Is all of Kodak's packaging that lovely? Glued paper bags for the film sheets, rather than those neat black plastic bags Ilford and Foma use. The one part I did like was having multiple smaller packs inside, instead of all the sheets in a single big bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Is there a Dorkroom-approved 135 or 150 LF lens (copal 0)? I've seen that pretty much any lens will work, but I'm wondering if there's a best bang for the buck specimen out there.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

nielsm posted:

Loaded some Kodak sheet film for the first time today.
Is all of Kodak's packaging that lovely? Glued paper bags for the film sheets, rather than those neat black plastic bags Ilford and Foma use. The one part I did like was having multiple smaller packs inside, instead of all the sheets in a single big bag.

The paper bags are annoying compared to the black plastic bags but there's only ten sheets in any given one and I load ten sheets at a time so who cares. Also, the Ilford 100-sheet boxes have four 25-sheet bags in them.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Helicity posted:

Is there a Dorkroom-approved 135 or 150 LF lens (copal 0)? I've seen that pretty much any lens will work, but I'm wondering if there's a best bang for the buck specimen out there.

Any 135mm or 150mm f/5.6 mounted in a Copal 0 will work. There's some wider aperture 135mm lenses (e.g. Xenar f/4.7, Press-Xenar f/3.8) that don't quite cover, or cover with no room for movements, so don't get those.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I did a little research on the topic and found the Fujinon-W's are good value for the quality of lens, mine has a Seiko shutter on it.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Fair enough - there's a Nikkor that caught my eye and I see you are happy with yours (except for the shutter dying early on the 135). What holders are people using/can I use on a Crown? I'm starting to put together a shopping list in preparation for doing something stupid with my wallet :homebrew:

edit: Fujis are almost half the price of the Nikkors, maybe I'll try one of those first. I did love the lens on my GW690.

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 14, 2015

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Don't bother with metal holders, stick to plastic - they're less prone to darkslide jams.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Used Fidelitys on KEH for $20 a pop? There don't seem to be a ton of options out there, unless I'm really bad at Googling (I could be).

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Helicity posted:

Used Fidelitys on KEH for $20 a pop? There don't seem to be a ton of options out there, unless I'm really bad at Googling (I could be).

Yeah those are what I use too. For lenses, Nikkors and Fujinons are the best value for money lenses.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Try to find a lot for something like $10/holder shipped if you can, $20 is steep.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

The photographer at my work gave me 5 4x5 film holders for free :dance:

They were probably only ever used in the studio and seem to be in pretty good shape so hopefully no light leaks.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

eggsovereasy posted:

The photographer at my work gave me 5 4x5 film holders for free :dance:

They were probably only ever used in the studio and seem to be in pretty good shape so hopefully no light leaks.

If they are wood just make sure they aren't warped.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

One of these days I will get a large format camera. But I need to work on my patience first, and in the mean time I will stick to the largest medium format negative size I can afford.

_DSC8250 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

8th-snype posted:

If they are wood just make sure they aren't warped.

They're plastic, so I figure they're ok on that front.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I got sick of trying to find a Rolleiflex or Hasselblad that didn't have mechanical issues, haze, or fungus, and part of that is just really bad luck, so I bit the bullet on some large format gear. For the type of shot I want, I think I need to go big or go home. That $10 per shot for film/development is going to seem like a bargain when that picture is framed over my couch. Just need the weather to cooperate now. Thanks for putting up with what not might seem to be a serious attempt at large format photography, I promise I'll deliver a 4x5 shot of a kick rear end tornado to this thread some day :toxx:

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Putrid Grin posted:

One of these days I will get a large format camera. But I need to work on my patience first, and in the mean time I will stick to the largest medium format negative size I can afford.

_DSC8250 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

where are your 6x17 shots?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Helicity posted:

I got sick of trying to find a Rolleiflex or Hasselblad that didn't have mechanical issues, haze, or fungus, and part of that is just really bad luck, so I bit the bullet on some large format gear. For the type of shot I want, I think I need to go big or go home. That $10 per shot for film/development is going to seem like a bargain when that picture is framed over my couch. Just need the weather to cooperate now. Thanks for putting up with what not might seem to be a serious attempt at large format photography, I promise I'll deliver a 4x5 shot of a kick rear end tornado to this thread some day :toxx:

reminder

Helicity posted:

I've gotten pretty fast with the GW690 so I'll probably stay in MF land - there's no way I could swing a 5 minute shot, except in the rarest of situations. Thanks for the input.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Pukestain Pal posted:

where are your 6x17 shots?

That stuff is way outside of my budget.

So its 6x9 for me :(

_DSC8264 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Yep, I know I'm talking more than shooting on this stuff, but I'm honestly more of a meteorologist than a photographer so my priorities are a little backwards from the Dorkroom norm. I'm now confident that I can pull off LF for this type of shot after playing with a Speed Graphic and digging into the hyperfocal distances at various apertures. I'd rather take the plunge and fail than not even try at all.

On a related note, I've been speaking with some of the pioneers of storm chasing about using film, and one of them mentioned that he always had problems with his film turning blue from the heat. There are a lot of days where I'll be parked somewhere waiting for storms to form in 90° temps with little shade. How do people safely store film when they're doing the Nat Geo type poo poo? I'm thinking of bringing a cooler and storing the film in a ziploc freezer bag.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
I was in Ethiopia with my Portra 400 for three weeks with high temperatures averaging 80 degrees (up to 95 for four straight days) and all of my film was fine.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Ok cool. I'll probably find a white bag and keep it out of the sun and keep the windows rolled down as much as I can and just use common sense. Going through some of his old photos I see a lot of blue shots - typically from June/July and in Texas, which would definitely be hot. He was shooting Ektachrome 64 or something though, so I wonder if the chemicals for that film 30 years ago were different.

Here's a picture of my new baby - Fuji 135mm is on the way.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Helicity posted:

Ok cool. I'll probably find a white bag and keep it out of the sun and keep the windows rolled down as much as I can and just use common sense. Going through some of his old photos I see a lot of blue shots - typically from June/July and in Texas, which would definitely be hot. He was shooting Ektachrome 64 or something though, so I wonder if the chemicals for that film 30 years ago were different.

Are you planning on having a rangefinder cam cut for you for the 135mm or are you going to use the ground glass? :raise:

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Helicity posted:

That's a nice looking setup!

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

It's cammed for the 135 that's in it right now, so I don't need to worry about that. I hit a little snag with the Fuji lens though - does anyone know how to easily tell which Copal number a lens is? It just says Copal on it, and I thought these were all Copal 0, but apparently Fuji made a few different sizes. The seller has no idea. Does it even matter for the Crown?

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

Helicity posted:

post some drat medium format tornadoes

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Helicity posted:

It's cammed for the 135 that's in it right now, so I don't need to worry about that. I hit a little snag with the Fuji lens though - does anyone know how to easily tell which Copal number a lens is? It just says Copal on it, and I thought these were all Copal 0, but apparently Fuji made a few different sizes. The seller has no idea. Does it even matter for the Crown?
Pretty sure you can tell by the max shutter speed - Copal 0 goes to 1/500 but Copal 1 only goes to 1/400.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Helicity posted:

The only difference it will make in this case is the size of the hole in your lensboard.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

voodoorootbeer posted:

post some drat medium format tornadoes

I never got any - last year was a bad year for chasing and a bad year for me. The only day I saw tornadoes, I saw 3 EF-4s and I forgot the GW690 at home in my rush out the door. Here's an interview a friend did with a gentleman that took pictures of a tornado with a Speed Graphic though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjOs6gm1D-A

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
lol

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

"How much bellows factor do you need for that?"

"All of it."

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

8th-snype posted:

"How much bellows factor do you need for that?"

"All of it."

Actually, probably no bellows compensation needed - that's a 1200mm lens :frog:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

MrBlandAverage posted:

Actually, probably no bellows compensation needed - that's a 1200mm lens :frog:

:catstare:
I figured it was a 360T or maaaybe 500T

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Porcsha by dorkasaurus_rex, on Flickr

just come right out and say it

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Your tones are....fine :getin:

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Quantum of Phallus posted:

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Quantum of Phallus posted:

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
It's like a reverse Rembrandt with the little shadow triangle under the eye

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Bukit Batok by alkanphel, on Flickr

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Viola by dorkasaurus_rex, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004