Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

No one will buy it and it will be the game that kills tri-Ace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

HGH posted:

Hey guys, who's ready for the Dinner Dance mk2?

Cause Star Ocean 5 is confirmed. Cross-gen PS4/PS3 and still being made by tri-Ace.

gently caress no. I sort of liked Star Ocean 3 well enough but after 4, I'm not touching this with a 50 kilometer pole.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
Tri-Ace was recently acquired by a mobile developer. You can't kill what's already dead.

That Nepro Japan bought Tri-Ace to expand into console development and is charging ahead with SO5 certainly isn't what people expected, though.

Persona 5 is a PS3 game also being released on PS4 in 2015. Is this going to be the same thing, but in 2016? Or is the PS3 version going to be a terrible stripped-down port? Either way, yeesh.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Francis posted:

Tri-Ace was recently acquired by a mobile developer. You can't kill what's already dead.

That Nepro Japan bought Tri-Ace to expand into console development and is charging ahead with SO5 certainly isn't what people expected, though.

Persona 5 is a PS3 game also being released on PS4 in 2015. Is this going to be the same thing, but in 2016? Or is the PS3 version going to be a terrible stripped-down port? Either way, yeesh.

Star Ocean's a safe move for their first title. It's a franchise that's well-known, even if negatively-so in the case of the last game, and the actual gameplay is generally solid and bug-free.

Also;

quote:

Currently revealed characters include:

• Fedel Camus (voiced by Kaito Ishikawa) – The protagonist. He specializes at fencing, and protects the order of his village.
  • Miki Sorvesta (voiced by Nao Toyama) – The heroine. She is the protagonist’s childhood friend, and loves him like an older brother.
  • Lilia (voice actor unknown) – A girl who lost both her memories and emotions

Really branching out here for our protagonists, aren't we Tri-Ace? :v:

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I wonder if JRPG amnesia is contagious.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HGH posted:

I'm surprised it's not more common, given how easy it seemingly is to cause :v:.

Francis posted:

JRPG's take a very long time to produce, especially when the studio is relatively small, so they probably only got their hands on a PS4 devkit partway through development.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

HGH posted:

Just as contagious as evil entities that break their seals, crystals, or crystal seals every 1000 years.

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf

quote:

According to the producer, they’re not thinking about story downloadable content or a “full version” to be released later. “I sincerely don’t want to do anything with this game that’ll upset people even a little bit,” Kobayashi said.

Ahaha.
Well, they are aware that SO4 had some issues, so that's good, I guess. I loved it personally.

I'm actually really hopeful for this one.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

HGH posted:

Hey guys, who's ready for the Dinner Dance mk2?

Cause Star Ocean 5 is confirmed. Cross-gen PS4/PS3 and still being made by tri-Ace.

i don't give a gently caress about the past anymore. i'm ready to love again.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Honestly if the battle system is good they can do whatever the hell they want with the stories. SO4 may have had the most incredibly terrible cast and plot in like... Any JRPG ever, but the battle system was really fun and there's always a skip button for cutscenes. I hope we get to blow up an alternate version of Earth again!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
edge maverick

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
They legit gave the main girl butt jiggle physics.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

xov posted:

Ahaha.
Well, they are aware that SO4 had some issues, so that's good, I guess. I loved it personally.

I'm actually really hopeful for this one.

Sounds more like a reaction to the Amazon review stuff for Tales of Zestria and Oreshika.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Lalalalala can't hear you over this battle system, can't hear you over this battle system, ignore the creepy annoying child, ignore the creepy underdressed catgirl, just focus on Bacchus and the combat system and it'll be fine.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

Lalalalala can't hear you over this battle system, can't hear you over this battle system, ignore the creepy annoying child, ignore the creepy underdressed catgirl, just focus on Bacchus and the combat system and it'll be fine.

Excuse me but she is not a child. She is a teenager who just happens to be both mentally and physically a child!!!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

quote:

Kobayashi: “Star Ocean 5 is about bringing a sense of reassurance back to longtime fans, which is why the game’s logo is reminiscent of Star Ocean 3‘s.”

Translation: "We're sorry, okay? We hosed up. We hosed up bad. :cripes:"

Also that green-haired girl's outfit is hilariously bad.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i know nothing about so4, but from what i've seen it looks hideous. the mc's look like bad poser models

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Davincie posted:

i know nothing about so4, but from what i've seen it looks hideous. the mc's look like bad poser models

I'll give you the "highlights";

• The party healer is an autistic girl who is 16 and trapped in body of an eight-year-old because of "childhood trauma". She has feelings for Edge
  • The creepy underage catgirl showing way, way too much skin
  • At one point, due to getting sucked into a wormhole, the Calnus (your ship) winds up on a parallel Earth in the 1940's. In New Mexico (yes, Roswell). Edge is a colossal dumbfuck who teaches them about antimatter, and it ends with the Earth being destroyed while your party legs it back through the wormhole into their own universe. The party then immediately straight-up tells Edge to stop being depressed and walk off being directly responsible for the deaths of billions just because it was a parallel universe.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Kobayashi posted:

Star Ocean 5 is about bringing a sense of reassurance back to longtime fans, which is why the game’s logo is reminiscent of Star Ocean 3‘s.

Star Ocean 3 was really bad as I remember.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'll give you the "highlights";

• The party healer is an autistic girl who is 16 and trapped in body of an eight-year-old because of "childhood trauma". She has feelings for Edge
  • The creepy underage catgirl showing way, way too much skin
  • At one point, due to getting sucked into a wormhole, the Calnus (your ship) winds up on a parallel Earth in the 1940's. In New Mexico (yes, Roswell). Edge is a colossal dumbfuck who teaches them about antimatter, and it ends with the Earth being destroyed while your party legs it back through the wormhole into their own universe. The party then immediately straight-up tells Edge to stop being depressed and walk off being directly responsible for the deaths of billions just because it was a parallel universe.

holy poo poo that game is actually good when you present just the third point

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Golden Goat posted:

Star Ocean 3 was really bad as I remember.

Star Ocean 3 was actually pretty okay until THE TWIST. Which is so incredibly bad it basically stains the entire franchise with it, a rather impressive achievement.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Infinity Gaia posted:

Star Ocean 3 was actually pretty okay until THE TWIST. Which is so incredibly bad it basically stains the entire franchise with it, a rather impressive achievement.

I actually can't remember anything until the point where it becomes ".hack from the NPCs point of view"

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Any SO5 preorders up? Requesting art books, soundtracks, a statue... whatever you got.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

hubris.height posted:

It's not anywhere near as good as it sounds. That third point is where you pick up the catgirl for starters, so she's front-and-center for most of the scenes there. And Edge Maverick's gullibility is really, really blatant and stupid.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
The woman he teaches the antimatter junk to is setting off blatant I'M EVIL AS poo poo alarms the whole time and no one even tries to stop him. It honestly feels like they let Edge commit mass murder just to poo poo-talk him about being a little emotional over it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I like that after the third point they show his sadness by just..removing his battle win poses entirely and have him doing an idle animation while looking into the camera with cold, dead Tri-Ace 3D eyes.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Star Ocean 2 is legit great. I appreciate 3 for what it was even if the story was dumb and even if I re-wrote the story from memory. 4 was hot trash garbage. I'm expecting 5 to be super awful based on those character descriptions but I'm gonna get it anyway because an idiot.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

the biggest crime that so4 did was that you didn't get your loving healer until disc 2.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What was the reasoning behind xenogears being the first game they released in that series again? Was it just supposed to be a "start in the middle of a conflict to get people interested" sorta thing?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FirstAidKite posted:

What was the reasoning behind xenogears being the first game they released in that series again? Was it just supposed to be a "start in the middle of a conflict to get people interested" sorta thing?

Star Wars, probably.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
SO4's combat was fun as hell and i skipped every cutscene

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I actually liked SO3's story, plot twist and all, its real crime was its crafting system from hell. It was so bad compared to SO2's.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Really branching out here for our protagonists, aren't we Tri-Ace? :v:

Yeah no kidding. Bland on bland on bland.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
This looks like pretty much the most "playin' it safe" sequel ever produced, but the guy basically admitted as much so I don't know that I can fault them for it.

Wait, yes I can.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

I imagine that as they worked on the game and came up with more backstory, they decided on the episode format as an afterthought. IIRC Takahashi's main idea for the game was the Fei and Id plotline, a soldier with dissociative identity disorder, and Soraya Saga's idea was Miang's plot, a computer becomes the mother of humanity and guides its evolution. Everything else was just kinda made up as they went along.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

hubris.height posted:

See, the main character doesn't just teach them about antimatter. Her loving gives the one and only power core of his own ship to a BDSM evil scientist lady because she told him she was good and was just going to need it for small experiment. Then as they escape the planet about to blow up, without any plan and without main engine power, it just magically turns out that the rock in the catgirl's necklace is a power supply fit just right to be used in the ship's warp drive.

The following main character's moping is clearly bullshit because it's quite apparent that his single brain cell is incapable of any such emotion. The guy in SO3 was annoying and a stickler for rules, but he wasn't a complete moron.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Did she blow up the planet because of an accident or was it intentional?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Golden Goat posted:

accident

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Golden Goat posted:

She thought she could control antimatter because She Is Smart. She could not.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

So she was just stupid and not evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

SelenicMartian posted:

The guy in SO3 was annoying and a stickler for rules, but he wasn't a complete moron.

And to be fair he was doing his best not to gently caress with the planet's history.
It's just that after the events of the game he kinda goes with the flow and then it stops mattering.