Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shark week
Dec 22, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

I don't think he did really did he? It seemed like he jumped clear, then Degenkolb went and just blew straight past him and did it on his own.

Saw that Degenkolb made the last push to bridge over alone but also saw him on the teammates wheel after they both jumped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
As expected, the riders that jumped the level crossing have been given a pass because there were so many of them and not all of them were possible to be identified.

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

As expected, the riders that jumped the level crossing have been given a pass because there were so many of them and not all of them were possible to be identified.

Lame, I actually thought they'd get deservedly hammered for it.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
So Degenkolb WAS in that group....:tinfoil:

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

African AIDS cum posted:

Degenkolb will win, or Stybar

:smug:

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

Thomas would be a genuine GC contender if he could stop falling off his bike.

Yeah maybe at Eneco but nowhere with real climbs

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
I really missed the Eurosport commentators today. It was too much to hope that they wouldn't wheel out the dried husk of Phil Liggett for some beyond the grave commentary.

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!

serious gaylord posted:

same as with doping

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/32284180

The train company have made a complaint to the police and want the riders prosecuted. Demare has been singled out and is being accused of damaging the barrier. With his head I presume.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Cool video on team rwanda

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjtG7Qpaysg

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
Looks like the UCI approved disc brakes to be tested in two races this year.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/04/bikes-and-tech/uci-to-lift-ban-on-disc-brakes-in-august_366590

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

gently caress the bike industry

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I like the sound of that. Hopefully this means that most manufacturers will offer road bikes with disc brakes next year.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Xabi posted:

I like the sound of that. Hopefully this means that most manufacturers will offer road bikes with disc brakes next year.

They do already I think?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

disc brakes are terrible

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

serious gaylord posted:

They do already I think?

Yeah it's coming along but there's still a lot of models (most?) that only come with the traditional stuff.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They should do it all with magnets.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

African AIDS cum posted:

disc brakes are terrible

Tell me more :munch:

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

They heat up and then warp and then rub, huge pain in the rear end, and riders will get bad burns from them if they crash on a descent likely, UCI was right to ban them

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

African AIDS cum posted:

They heat up and then warp and then rub, huge pain in the rear end, and riders will get bad burns from them if they crash on a descent likely, UCI was right to ban them

:magical: Oh gently caress really?

Let's go over this word by word.

Yep, so do rim brakes.

Have you ever actually used a disc brake? They don't suddenly deform.

They always rub until they don't. Such is life.

African AIDS cum posted:

huge pain in the rear end
This is why the pro Peloton has a fleet of mechanics. Gluing tubs is loving annoying too but some of us have learned to do it

African AIDS cum posted:

and riders will get bad burns from them if they crash on a descent likely,

So given better braking modulation on a descent and better performance under wet conditions, the small chance that a rider will end up in contact with a rotor long enough to obtain a burn that is in any way significant compared to the damage he just sustained from ~crashing during a descent~ is worth banning them? (Seriously you didn't even go with the "if you hit a rotor properly that poo poo will loving cut you open")

But please go back and examine descent crashes and tell me how often someone comes to rest while touching the area around their hub. (I'm even willingly ignoring the fact that bike companies will be working on alternative materials to the steel heat magnets of MTBs)

African AIDS cum posted:

UCI was right to ban them

Funny how the UCI just decided they weren't right to ban them then.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Please don't do that to one of my posts ever again. Very disrespectful way of discussing a topic. I'll bow out here.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Actually, another thing I neglected to mention, disc brakes slow down wheel changes significantly, you'd see many more riders lose races because of flatting and taking forever to change the wheel. Can you point out incidents where improved braking power would change anything? The peloton doesn't want them and its all a pseudo story driven by bike manufacturers aiming to sell more product to fat guys in spandex. The heating of the disc is what causes the warping FYI so maybe in the process of your, IMO, rude way of dividing my post into quotes haphazardly you missed that bit. Very easy not to notice the disc is rubbing meanwhile it is sucking watts each RPM.

Sorry, not buying it. Please don't dissect this word for word with emoticons mixed in.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Pro Cycling: If we aren't bickering about doping it'll be about brakes.

But really, gently caress the bike industry.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Im quite interested in how they'd aero up those discs. They're not exactly easy to hide like calipers.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

I can't wait until no one can use neutral service though they've not really been helping people recently anyway.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Would the disks really be an aero concern? They've got plenty of surface to play with.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

goatface posted:

Would the disks really be an aero concern? They've got plenty of surface to play with.

It's been tested. Net effect - SFA head on, about 8 - 10 watts at worst at 20 degrees yaw when the brakes are presented windward side, Or wiht a rider onboard 7-10 seconds time loss on the mythical 40km TT that everything is measured on.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/12/bikes-and-tech/discs-drag-wind-tunnel-testing-disc-brake-road-bikes_355621

http://www.bikeradar.com/au/road/news/article/whats-more-aero-disc-or-caliper-brakes-43195/

Disc brakes are awesome, gently caress rim brakes forever

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
If motoGP bikes can use disc brakes, I'm sure it's possible for a half decent manufacturer to make rotors that won't deform under the load of stopping a cyclist + 6.8kg. The main problem would be deciding on a standard for the purposes of neutral service, I think.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

African AIDS cum posted:

Actually, another thing I neglected to mention, disc brakes slow down wheel changes significantly, you'd see many more riders lose races because of flatting and taking forever to change the wheel. Can you point out incidents where improved braking power would change anything? The peloton doesn't want them and its all a pseudo story driven by bike manufacturers aiming to sell more product to fat guys in spandex. The heating of the disc is what causes the warping FYI so maybe in the process of your, IMO, rude way of dividing my post into quotes haphazardly you missed that bit. Very easy not to notice the disc is rubbing meanwhile it is sucking watts each RPM.

Sorry, not buying it. Please don't dissect this word for word with emoticons mixed in.

It was supposed to be rude you poo poo.

Have you ever actually swapped a disc wheel? It's pretty loving easy. And guess what. Pro mechanics are pretty handy.

The point isn't improved braking power. You can already lock a rim up with rim brakes. The point is better performance under less than ideal conditions and a broader range of stopping pressures than can be applied between "no braking" and "locked rim".

The peloton doesn't "not want them". They're currently as divided on the issue as many other people are.

I honestly don't even give a gently caress if the pros adopt them. I want to see road discs developed because they would be significantly better for the average rider and commuter. Less likely for the pads to pick poo poo up from a road and gently caress up your rims, better stopping under less than ideal conditions (Wet and or muddy).

And since it seems to be the one thing you keep going back to, please find me a record of a bicycle rotor overheating and deforming. You would have to be holding the brakes for the entirety of a sizeable descent for that to be a thing (aka braking incredibly incorrectly)

I can sure as hell find you a big list of times that rim braking has caused a tubular to overheat and roll.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

I have to say you're unhinged, this is just a thread to discuss pro cycling in a collegial, friendly way with like minded fans of the beautiful sport, I don't think we should assail each other with condescending screeds. I don't know why you'd be so rude to someone you've never met. Bizarre.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

serious gaylord posted:

Im quite interested in how they'd aero up those discs. They're not exactly easy to hide like calipers.

Is even half the peloton on aero brakes?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Think of all the non disk brake road frames that will flood the market.

I'm kind of a retrogrouch on the issue, but more choice is always a good thing. I'm sure they'll hammer out the neutral service thing eventually. Since the "magic spanner" has been banned (and apparently now going to be enforced) i think we will see more bike changes. I know I won't be an early adopter, then again I live in the desert.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

kimbo305 posted:

Is even half the peloton on aero brakes?

Quite a lot of them seem to have hidden rear callipers. Theres quite a lot of aero frames on the sprintier riders too.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Imagine being in a pileup like the Scheldeprijs recently. Now imagine everyone has strapped two deli meat slicer blades to their bike.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard

Paddyb posted:

Imagine being in a pileup like the Scheldeprijs recently. Now imagine everyone has strapped two deli meat slicer blades to their bike.

I just imagined it. Nothing happened.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Paddyb posted:

Well it is good thing in reality disc brakes arent deli slicers and nothing worse will happen.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Thanks for putting my mind at ease guys.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I think at worse you might get a minor burn on the odd riders leg but even then I don't think there'd be any real damage. Well any more than a pileup would cause normally that is.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
Wiggo is going to try the Hour Record on June 7th:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/04/news/wiggins-schedules-hour-record-attempt-for-june-7_366723

As far as disc brakes go, won't potentially some of the crashes be moderated by improved stopping power, particularly on descents?

Xir fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Apr 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Most crashes that involve multiple riders happen on sprints or otherwise flat roads with no chance for riders to brake or avoid. Discs wont solve that. What they will hopefully solve is people skidding off the road on technical descents.